Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,143,340 members, 7,780,896 topics. Date: Friday, 29 March 2024 at 03:25 AM

Every Nigerian Atheist Should Be Outspoken - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Every Nigerian Atheist Should Be Outspoken (30566 Views)

Nigerian Atheist, Carl Maobi, Kidnapped / Nigerian Atheist: / What If Zuckerberg Were A Nigerian Atheist? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (18) (Reply) (Go Down)

Every Nigerian Atheist Should Be Outspoken by Seun(m): 11:54am On Aug 13, 2016
Religious People Are Suffering & They Need Our Help

People often ask outspoken atheists why they like to argue with religious people. "If you don't believe in God", they ask, "why do you spend so much time attacking people's religious beliefs?" They often respond by saying, "religious people keep trying to impose their religious beliefs on us through evangelism and politics, so we have to defend ourselves." Atheists who don't feel threatened usually choose to remain silent. I used to be a pretty quiet atheist myself, until I noticed something about religious people that I hadn't noticed before. Religious people are suffering!

Religion is not a harmless delusion. It's not a benign folly that merely wastes people's time. It's a malignant malady that systematically robs the majority of humanity of their freedom, pleasure, joy, comfort, knowledge, intelligence, health, money, lives, and much more. It would be selfish of us as atheists who are free from religion not to make every effort to free people from religion so that they can have much better lives.

Many religious people are not allowed to have blood transfusions. This means thousands of religious men, women and children have died from treatable medical conditions, such as pregnancies with any kind of complications, non-fatal car accidents, treatable gunshot wounds, etc. simply because they are not allowed to accept blood transfusions. So many children have become orphans needlessly; so many men and women became widows and widowers; so many fathers and mothers lost their children. All because of a religious rule that make no sense at all.

Many religious people are forbidden by their religions from enjoying most of the good things in life. Things like secular or instrumental music, fine art, poetry, sculpture, owning dogs, wearing make-up, friendship with the opposite sex, eating ram meat, eating sausages, pleasuring yourself or the opposite sex, watching fantasy movies or reading fantasy novels like harry potter, making friends outside the religion, dancing, tattoos, playing ludo because it relies on luck, barbie dolls, sexy clothes etc. Can you imagine what your life would be like if you had to forgo most of these wonderful things? Horribly boring. You'd probably kill yourself. I guess that's why many religious people are suicidal and violent.

Most religious people believe in the afterlife. As a result, instead of focusing on the current life and making it as enjoyable as possible for themselves, their friends, and family members, they often endure miserable lives in the hope that they'll be rewarded after they die. An extreme case of this is the case of suicide bombers and religious fighters who embrace violent deaths for the sake of an imaginary paradise.

Many religious people are pressured to give a sizable proportion of their income to the religious establishments they worship with. Poor people are taught that the best way to get rich is not to save their money and invest in education and entrepreneurship, but to "sow" it by giving it to their rich religious leaders who will use it to live flamboyantly, and build religious monuments to attract more cash cows. When this stupid idea of "sowing"doesn't make the poor people rich, they are told that it's because they don't have faith, have sin in their lives, etc.

Many religious people are made to believe that the secret to good health and healing is prayer, having been brainwashed by dishonest sermons and misleading testimonies. When they have health problems, instead of going to good hospitals, they embark on prayer and fasting. When their friends slump due to heart attacks or strokes or seizures, they start praying on them instead of rushing them to good hospitals where they can get competent medical help. People have died of curable diseases like malaria because they didn't accept treatment until it was too late.

Many religious people are tolerant and liberal by nature, but due to certain verses in their holy scriptures, they feel that they must be intolerant of various groups of people that God supposedly doesn't like, such as lesbians and transexuals. They are against abortion, which they think is murder, but also against sex education, which reduces abortion rates dramatically, because they think it may encourage premarital safe sex. As a result their daughters end up getting pregnant outside wedlock, having illegal abortions, and dying despite their opposition to abortion.

Many religious people are women, and it sucks to be them because the scriptures of the major religions are clearly sexist. One scripture claims that women must be quiet and submit to men because man were created first and woman came from man, which is rather suspicious because in real life it's women who give birth to men. Another scripture proudly asserts that woman are deficient in intelligence and piety. There are almost no female prophets, apostles or disciples. The few famous women in major scriptures are famous not for personal exploits but for giving birth to important men, marrying them, or leading them astray (Eve, Jezebel). Religious women can't live up to their full potential.

And don't even get me started on the horrible treatment of "demon-possessed" people (the mentally ill) and "child witches".

Clearly, religious people are suffering. Our parents, siblings, and children. Our friends, crushes, and admirers. Our colleague, bosses, and employees. To save them, we who are atheists must come out of our closets and start speaking out; challenging them and educating them.

154 Likes 50 Shares

Re: Every Nigerian Atheist Should Be Outspoken by theoneJabulani(m): 12:00pm On Aug 13, 2016
Indeed we should BT is this Nigerian society ready to accept the truth?

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: Every Nigerian Atheist Should Be Outspoken by 01Mysticdon(m): 12:09pm On Aug 13, 2016
Sha am a Deist, lover of nature

7 Likes

Re: Every Nigerian Atheist Should Be Outspoken by 01Mysticdon(m): 12:11pm On Aug 13, 2016
I'm not religious but I hate abortion. I don't like the idea.

3 Likes

Re: Every Nigerian Atheist Should Be Outspoken by Sciencs(m): 12:14pm On Aug 13, 2016
Many religious people are suffering indeed. It stems from what I consider to be either improper knowledge/understanding of the books or non-conscientious form of fanatism...but that doesn't make me a non-religious person.
Religion isn't the problem, man is the problem, and in a very strict sense, I mean the HEART of Men.
Let me take you on this, you see, human-kind is gifted with what is known as "Conscience" by its Creator (God). This gift harbors the capacity to separates "Good" from "Bad". Conscience is like a "Thinking devise" that constantly works in us, but the Problem or human weakness is something else, it's call "FEELING". Feelings as strong as it is, struggles to separates Good from Bad and it is unfortunately NOT subjected to "Thinking", unlike Conscience. These two Forces works hand-in-hand but one MUST have a final say ALL the time or virtually all the time, and that should be CONSCIENCE.
Now those religious people the OP points out to be suffering are those who put FEELINGS over CONSCIENCE. When you read the holy books or you're taught with the holy book, you don't approach or apply it's teaching with "Feelings" but with "Conscience" (more like "Thoughts"). Under great emotional thrust, one is bound to make dangerous mistakes such as suicide bombings, not accepting blood transfusion, avoiding any sort of fun like playin ludo, dancing, music etc as pointed out by the OP, but with conscience you're less likely to make mistakes. Feelings can be naive because it's not subjected to reasoning, but conscience is hardly naive because of its fondness with reasoning.
Conscience, to me, seem to be one of the way God approach humans. An illustration is the case of Jesus, the Adulterous woman and the Pharisees in John Chapter 8 (The Bible). It says in verse 5,...."the Pharisees said to Him, the law of Moses commanded us to stone such women (adultery)...". In verse 6, it says "....He said to them, If anyone of you is without sin, let him be the first to throw a stone at her"....verse 9, "At this, those who heard it, being convicted by their CONSCIENCE, began to go away one at a time, the older ones first...". My point here is God tends to talk to us more from our conscience rather than feeling.
So the OP should rather encourage religious people to apply "Conscientious" approach to what they read from the holy book or are being taught from their Holy book into their dealings rather than "Emotional" approach. But I can understand, He's an atheist, i'm NOT.

18 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Every Nigerian Atheist Should Be Outspoken by ccffwx: 12:24pm On Aug 13, 2016
Some Christians peddle the idea that women must submit to men because man was made first blablabla. GOD created man and woman, none is superior to the other. Men and women were also charged to submit to one another not because anyone is superior (as touted by inferiority complex people) but in submission to the will of GOD. Whoever accepts that man is superior to woman BS as coming from GOD needs to hear from GOD and not confused preachers. Seun you might want to clarify this in your post.

9 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Every Nigerian Atheist Should Be Outspoken by ccffwx: 12:32pm On Aug 13, 2016
What I mean is that that idea is actually people's interpretation of what they do not understand. And it has been accepted as truth. Many people are either lazy or afraid to probe it. GOD did not make man superior to woman. Man and woman are of one specie of being. That things are done for order to exist does not mean that I'm superior to you. On judgment day, everybody will be judged same. So I'm saying that it's not GOD's idea but human interpretation that man is superior thisthat as you pointed out in the post. Thanks.

5 Likes

Re: Every Nigerian Atheist Should Be Outspoken by Sealeddeal(m): 12:33pm On Aug 13, 2016
I am a polytheist but I don't worship any god. I have freed myself from the scourge of religion. I live in core Northern part of Nigeria and I bet you, OP, you cannot stomach what you will see if you visit there. There, you will see, feel and appreciate the more, the magnitude of darkness that religion has placed man on. Religion of all kind is darkness but what I see here is a severe curse. Humanity is being deprived of its glory because of lies perpetuated in the name of gods. As far as religion live, humanity will not gain its rightful place. Any non religious view of life should be spoken of loudly without fear. I therefore wholeheartedly support your call@ OP

44 Likes 7 Shares

Re: Every Nigerian Atheist Should Be Outspoken by Nobody: 12:40pm On Aug 13, 2016
False happiness is the worst kind of sadness ever.

Nowadays, atheists have become outspoken. They have gone to the media; published books and enlightened the eyes of many. In most forums, the existence of God is an hotly debated question.

The reaction of the religious?

They dig up false stories, they troll the internet with horribly inaccurate memes; they redefine atheism as it suits them and describe it as derogatory; they say any atheist is a murderer or a depraved individuals.

Despite atheists continually telling them the definiton of atheism and that it is NOT in any way; a religion or a cult, they continue to ignorantly classify atheists are evil. Unprintable names fly about and riddiculous theories from every vestige of the internet is regarded as truth.

Unfortunately; quite unfortunately; they drag science into the ruckus. They pick any science topic that contradicts their particular religion and call it demonic. They kick against reasonable explainations and come up with a lot of dumb ones. They claim atheists worship science. They publish conspiracy theories. Despite the fact that thousands of theists agree with a particular topic in biology; they still refuse to listen; asking for senseless proofs like ants with human head (I'm not joking; someone asked for this) and video proof of the earth's formation (A person on this forum also says this).

They view it as a battle; either you're for us or against us. They say their God is the only one convinently forgetting the 4200 others. Events that can't possibly happen is ascribed to miracles. Impossible claims raised by their holy books and scriptures are "mysteries of God".

And then, after everything, they tell their adherents that wisom is foolishness and it is profitable to be foolish and believe than to be wise and disbelieve. And then they lay the most ancient trick of all: "We'll meet in paradise."

With such seal in proof; most of the adherents are kept in check and continually believe. Indeed; it takes only the very curious and unbiased of them to actually reach out and read; research and do the most dreaded thing of all for most religions "Ask questions".

As long as the religious are convinced they are right; there's nothing anyone can do. All it takes is just a spark; a question; a gut feeling.

All it takes is to move them from the position of "I am sure" to "How sure am I?"

but until then; eh; Organized religion will continue to flourish.

P.S : No one should quote me undecided

46 Likes 10 Shares

Re: Every Nigerian Atheist Should Be Outspoken by peacesamuel94(m): 12:49pm On Aug 13, 2016
Seun:

People often ask outspoken atheists why they like to argue with religious people. "If you don't believe in God", they ask, "why do you spend so much time attacking people's religious beliefs?" They often respond by saying, "religious people keep trying to impose their religious beliefs on us through evangelism and politics, so we have to defend ourselves." Atheists that don't feel threatened usually choose to remain silent. I used to be a pretty quiet atheist myself, until I noticed something about religious people that I hadn't noticed before. Religious people are suffering!

Religion is not a harmless delusion. It's not a benign folly that merely wastes people's time. It's a malignant malady that systematically robs the majority of humanity of their freedom, pleasure, joy, comfort, knowledge, intelligence, health, money, lives, and much more. It would be selfish of us as atheists who are free from religion not to make every effort to free people from religion so that they can have much better lives.

Many religious people are not allowed to have blood transfusions. This means thousands of religious men, women and children have died from treatable medical conditions, such as pregnancies with any kind of complications, non-fatal car accidents, treatable gunshot wounds, etc. simply because they are not allowed to accept blood transfusions. So many children have become orphans needlessly; so many men and women became widows and widowers; so many fathers and mothers lost their children. All because of a religious rule that make no sense at all.

Many religious people are forbidden by their religions from enjoying most of the good things in life. Things like secular or instrumental music, fine art, poetry, sculpture, owning dogs, wearing make-up, friendship with the opposite sex, eating ram meat, eating sausages, pleasuring yourself or the opposite sex, watching fantasy movies or reading fantasy novels like harry potter, making friends outside the religion, dancing, tattoos, playing ludo because it relies on luck, barbie dolls, sexy clothes etc. Can you imagine what your life would be like if you had to forgo most of these wonderful things? Horribly boring. You'd probably kill yourself. I guess that's why many religious people are violent.

Most religious people believe in the afterlife. As a result, instead of focusing on the current life and trying to make it as enjoyable as possible for themselves, their friends, and family members, they endure shitty and miserable lives in the hope that they'll be rewarded after they die. An extreme case of this is the case of suicide bombers and religious fighters who embrace violent deaths for the sake of an imaginary paradise.

Many religious people are pressured to give a sizable proportion of their income to the religious establishments they worship with. Poor people are taught that the best way to get rich is not to save their money and invest in education and entrepreneurship, but to "sow" it by giving it to their rich religious leaders who will use it to live flamboyantly, and build religious monuments to attract more cash cows. When this stupid idea of "sowing"doesn't make the poor people rich, they are told that it's because they don't have faith, have sin in their lives, etc.

Many religious people are made to believe that the secret to good health and healing is prayer, having been brainwashed by dishonest sermons and misleading testimonies. When they have health problems, instead of going to good hospitals, they embark on prayer and fasting. When their friends slump due to heart attacks or strokes or seizures, they start praying on them instead of rushing them to good hospitals where they can get competent medical help. People have died of curable diseases like malaria because they didn't accept treatment until it was too late.

Many religious people are tolerant and liberal by nature, but due to certain verses in their holy scriptures, they feel that they must be intolerant of various groups of people that God supposedly doesn't like, such as lesbians and transexuals. They are against abortion, which they think is murder, but also against sex education, which reduces abortion rates dramatically, because they think it may encourage premarital safe sex. As a result their daughters end up getting pregnant outside wedlock, having illegal abortions, and dying despite their opposition to abortion.

Many religious people are women, and it sucks to be them because the scriptures of the major religions are clearly sexist. One scripture claims that women must be quiet and submit to men because man were created first and woman came from man, which is rather suspicious because in real life it's women who give birth to men. Another scripture proudly asserts that woman are deficient in intelligence and piety. There are almost no female prophets, apostles or disciples. The few famous women in major scriptures are famous not for personal exploits but for giving birth to important men, marrying them, or leading them astray (Eve, Jezebel). Religious women can't live up to their full potential.

And don't even get me started on the horrible treatment of "demon-possessed" people (the mentally ill) and "child witches".

Clearly, religious people are suffering. Our parents, siblings, and children. Our friends, crushes, and admirers. Our colleague, bosses, and employees. To save them, we who are atheists must come out of our closets and start speaking out; challenging them and educating them.
Religion practiced wrongly is as worse as atheism, But I can tell you that those that have true knowledge of the God they serve are exempted, ignorance or lack of knowledge is the only reason why the religious suffer. But atheists are not in the place to save them from their suffering, How can a blind man lead a one eyed man? it should be the other way round.

28 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Every Nigerian Atheist Should Be Outspoken by Nobody: 12:55pm On Aug 13, 2016
No, they should NOT. Even if they are right, the society is not ready to accept that. They'll most likely be lynched.

2 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Every Nigerian Atheist Should Be Outspoken by JSoE(f): 12:58pm On Aug 13, 2016
You have made a lot of sense but its not that easy to convince people to see the truth. I'm even finding it difficult to make my sister who is more like my best friend see reasons with me.I can't even tell my mum cos she'll go 'ka-booom!!!' on hearing that I'm now an agnostic. Although I have succeeded in freeing one of my friends from the scourge of religion(a male of course,the females I've tried to convince see me as one crazy bitch),I still wonder how I'll free more people when the extent of their gullibility is unnerving.I won't even bring up the case of northern Nigeria cos that one is a no-go area.
Note:I come from a Christian family from the calmest place in South Eastern Nigeria but I'm sure they'll lose their cool once I start trying to relieve them of their indoctrination.

16 Likes 5 Shares

Re: Every Nigerian Atheist Should Be Outspoken by oglalasioux(m): 1:01pm On Aug 13, 2016
You have said it all. I wish I had the means; I've been craving to have a get together for everyone that have been liberated from the shackles of religion. It's only when there's a movement of such like minds, who will be bold to the society and speak up, that a lot of peoples' eyes will be opened.

Black Africa, especially Nigeria, can never develop as long as we cling to thousands of years old ideas which have practically no place in the evolutional level of the human brain today.

19 Likes 1 Share

Re: Every Nigerian Atheist Should Be Outspoken by hahn(m): 1:07pm On Aug 13, 2016

undecided

1 Like 2 Shares

Re: Every Nigerian Atheist Should Be Outspoken by Nobody: 1:14pm On Aug 13, 2016
grin, Mr seun and his epic posts,

ohhhh, I remember I would have died when I needed blood transfusion, I'm so happy my parents were not very religious people then, but now, sad , they re just too religious for my liking undecided , ohhhh you have a point Admin......smiley

17 Likes 1 Share

Re: Every Nigerian Atheist Should Be Outspoken by tempem: 1:14pm On Aug 13, 2016
They should be outspoken when they don't even know why they are here..

grin grin

When they can't even tell you how to be happy? cheesy

When they hurt others to bring themselves Joy, and will feel bad if they were hurt? grin

When they Have no widespread agreement? grin grin
A says this, B says that..

If you claim to have the truth shouldnt we find how well we could live life?

When they don't have answer's to life's big questions?

Abeg..rock on, bro!!

Quote me not!!

Not ready for another series of arguments..
I stated the obvious. ..

Enjoy!!!! cheesy cheesy

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Every Nigerian Atheist Should Be Outspoken by Nobody: 1:16pm On Aug 13, 2016
Seun, if you don't like Religion that much why create this section in the first place...undecided

Why not bring it down already and stop creating threads undecided undecided ...

17 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Every Nigerian Atheist Should Be Outspoken by ichommy(m): 1:18pm On Aug 13, 2016
When people choose to follow the teachings of books that say things like

"But that whoever would not seek the Lord, the God of Israel, should be put to death, whether young or old, man or woman."

(2 Chronicles 15:13) and "I will cast terror into the hearts of those who disbelieve. Therefore strike off their heads and strike off every fingertip of them.

" (Quran 8:12), it's difficult to see such people as anything but barbarians.

Besides the above Books, Atheist are afraid.

Boss Seun, lead first. but seriously. It won't be an easy task.

8 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Every Nigerian Atheist Should Be Outspoken by Nobody: 1:19pm On Aug 13, 2016
Amusing, but the reasons given for rejecting religion are not valid. Your proposal is akin to throwing the baby out with the bathwater. Not all religions have harmful teachings when applied correctly, though I can understand being an atheist because the evidence is not personally acceptable to an individual.

Also, on the surface, it might seem nice to allow unbridled hedonism to take over the world, and live merely for our pleasures of, as you put it, "secular or instrumental music, fine art, poetry, sculpture, owning dogs, wearing make-up, friendship with the opposite sex, eating ram meat, eating sausages, pleasuring yourself or the opposite sex, watching fantasy movies or reading fantasy novels like harry potter, making friends outside the religion, dancing, tattoos, playing ludo because it relies on luck, barbie dolls, sexy clothes etc.", but free license does have its drawbacks, which include harmful effects on society.

By the way, I am curious, why restrict 'pleasuring' to the opposite sex? What of pleasuring members of the same sex, why exclude that? Also, more atheists are vegetarian than Theists, so not eating meat and sausages probably has a wider following among atheists than among Theists.

3 Likes

Re: Every Nigerian Atheist Should Be Outspoken by timpaker(m): 1:23pm On Aug 13, 2016
Which religion is against poetry, Mr. Seun?

8 Likes

Re: Every Nigerian Atheist Should Be Outspoken by HCpaul(m): 1:25pm On Aug 13, 2016
Wow! This really makes me feel happy and less reluctant in my pursuit of creating a sane environment where supernatural explanations will be discarded, trashed and eternally buried.

It's indeed that our outspokenness counts once it has successfully planted the seed of sanity in their mind and as well implants every seed of ignorance and delusion. They will reason it and the mind that is bold enough will adopt it with full courage, happiness and outspokenness.

Our outspokenness frees humanity from the scourge of religion into the sane world of human civilization. The main purpose of education is to substitute sanity for religious beliefs and indoctrinations.

Our eloquence will liberates mankind from all oppression of religious propaganda.

But the problem is that apart from online platform, how can we successfully communicate this rational information in our primitive environment filled with primitive homo sapients?

11 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Every Nigerian Atheist Should Be Outspoken by tempem: 1:29pm On Aug 13, 2016
Vicoch:
grin, Mr seun and his epic posts,

ohhhh, I remember I would have died when I needed blood transfusion, I'm so happy my parents were not very religious people then, but now, sad , they re just too religious for my liking undecided , ohhhh you have a point Admin......smiley
And you'll never die.. Lolz!!

1 Like

Re: Every Nigerian Atheist Should Be Outspoken by hahn(m): 1:29pm On Aug 13, 2016
peacesamuel94:
Religion practiced wrongly is as worse as atheism, But I can tell you that those that have true knowledge of the God they serve are exempted, ignorance or lack of knowledge is the only reason why the religious suffer. But atheists are not in the place to save them from their suffering, How can a blind man lead a one eyed man? it should be the other way round.

You have faith.

Faith which so happens to be blind by definition and you are talking about "How can a blind man lead a one eyed man? it should be the other way round".

Ironic undecided

10 Likes

Re: Every Nigerian Atheist Should Be Outspoken by Ranchhoddas: 1:46pm On Aug 13, 2016
Farmerforlife:
Amusing, but the reasons given for rejecting religion are not valid. Your proposal is akin to throwing the baby out with the bathwater. Not all religions have harmful teachings when applied correctly, though I can understand being an atheist because the evidence is not personally acceptable to an individual.

Also, on the surface, it might seem nice to allow unbridled hedonism to take over the world, and live merely for our pleasures of, as you put it, "secular or instrumental music, fine art, poetry, sculpture, owning dogs, wearing make-up, friendship with the opposite sex, eating ram meat, eating sausages, pleasuring yourself or the opposite sex, watching fantasy movies or reading fantasy novels like harry potter, making friends outside the religion, dancing, tattoos, playing ludo because it relies on luck, barbie dolls, sexy clothes etc.", but free license does have its drawbacks, which include harmful effects on society.

By the way, I am curious, why restrict 'pleasuring' to the opposite sex? What of pleasuring members of the same sex, why exclude that? Also, more atheists are vegetarian than Theists, so not eating meat and sausages probably has a wider following among atheists than among Theists.
Great points. How would we know where to draw the line? What the OP and others do not realise is that a lot of people derive their morality from faith. A large number of people are good because of their hope in one afterlife or the other. Hardened criminals have ''discovered'' Christ or any other deity and become good. What the OP is advocating is going to lead to anarchy and chaos. No matter the amount of disdain you possess for religion, an unbiased analysis will lead you to the conclusion that its merits far outweigh the demerits.

14 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Every Nigerian Atheist Should Be Outspoken by Nobody: 1:46pm On Aug 13, 2016
tempem:

2 Likes

Re: Every Nigerian Atheist Should Be Outspoken by Sealeddeal(m): 2:11pm On Aug 13, 2016
tempem:

Maybe there is no reason condemning terrorists attacks since everybody will later die. And you too should stand in the middle of highway. undecided undecided

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Every Nigerian Atheist Should Be Outspoken by hahn(m): 2:22pm On Aug 13, 2016
Ranchhoddas:
Great points. How would we know where to draw the line? What the OP and others do not realise is that a lot of people derive their morality from faith. A large number of people are good because of their hope in one afterlife or the other. Hardened criminals have ''discovered'' Christ or any other deity and become good. What the OP is advocating is going to lead to anarchy and chaos. No matter the amount of disdain you possess for religion, an unbiased analysis will lead you to the conclusion that its merits far outweigh the demerits.

Re: Every Nigerian Atheist Should Be Outspoken by Acidosis(m): 2:28pm On Aug 13, 2016
I don't have to read the posts here, but why don't you all spend your time preaching against illiteracy?

Illiteracy rate in Nigeria is high; we have more illiterate than religious folks. Many people don't go to Churches by the way. However, we have more agberos on the streets of Lagos who cannot compose the simplest English statement.

To persons (e.g. me) who had the opportunity to gain education, sorry, a million atheists cannot convince me that there is no supreme being somewhere. Don't waste your time. We have gained enough education to know what's best for us.

Channel this energy to Illiteracy rate, it is almost higher in Nigeria than any nation in the world. (#fact from Data).

28 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Every Nigerian Atheist Should Be Outspoken by Ranchhoddas: 2:35pm On Aug 13, 2016
hahn:

Argumentum ad Verecundiam!
Re: Every Nigerian Atheist Should Be Outspoken by hahn(m): 2:38pm On Aug 13, 2016
Ranchhoddas:
Argumentum ad Verecundiam!

An argumentum ad verecundiam is an argument based on authority. The Latin means "appeal to reverence". (Here, authorities mean people presumed to be experts, as opposed to people holding power over others--ScottJohnson)

wink

3 Likes

Re: Every Nigerian Atheist Should Be Outspoken by Codedrock(m): 2:40pm On Aug 13, 2016
Seun i am really loving all these your topics oo.. Even though i still believe there is God, i am so against being religious. bro you are really doing a great job with these topics. I think i was already in transition to being an atheist(after i quit church) before you started your Faith related topics and i have been enjoying them, not to mention we reason the same way. I still choose to believe there is God though.
Been seriously studying that Evolution theory but my abstract thinking ability is just so not agreeing with that right now.

9 Likes 2 Shares

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (18) (Reply)

Bishop Oyedepo: "Inclusion Of Arabic Studies In Police Recruitment Unacceptable" / Apostle Essien Ayi Donates N1M For Mosque & Islamic Centre In Calabar / Panties And Charms Found In A Church In Benin (Photos)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 107
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.