Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,514 members, 7,808,877 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 06:27 PM

Forgiveness: Weakness Of Christianity? - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Forgiveness: Weakness Of Christianity? (7704 Views)

Which Hymn Or Song Represents The True Essence Of Christianity / Did Allah Help The Spread Of Christianity? / The Weakness Of The Christian God (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Forgiveness: Weakness Of Christianity? by iliyande(m): 8:08am On Aug 14, 2016
Forgiveness can be a powerful catalyst for change, benefiting anyone who hopes to let go of the past. People often sees Christians as weak simply because we obey the teachings and principles of Christ which is based on forgiveness and love.

Forgiving others may seem to be a choice, and in one sense it is a choice, but God has been very clear about forgiveness. He has given us specific direction in numerous Scriptures, all of which can be summed up in just one word -- forgive! God's Word says, "And when you stand praying, if you hold anything against anyone, forgive him, so that your Father in heaven may forgive you your sins" (Mark 11:25). "Do not judge, and you will not be judged. Do not condemn, and you will not be condemned. Forgive, and you will be forgiven" (Luke 6:37).
It doesn't mean that you have to become friends with the person who's injured you.

Forgiveness doesn't mean that wrongdoing is ignored or condoned

It doesn't mean that feelings of anger and bitterness magically go away.

It doesn't also mean that you trust someone again just as you trusted them before.

It doesn't mean that you won't be hurt again.

Forgiveness can be very, very hard especially if the injury someone has done us is deep and lasting, the feelings of hurt and anger might keep coming back. We often assume when Jesus told Peter to forgive 77 times that he meant 77 separate offences – an extreme way of saying that there's no limit to the number of times we ought to forgive. But maybe he's also acknowledging that there's no limit to the number of times we might have to forgive the same offence. What has been done to us keeps coming back: the memory of injury or betray rises in our minds again, for the second or the 10th or the 50th time, and each recollection requires a fresh act of forgiveness.

But for Christians, forgiveness is more than setting aside revenge and more than just moving on with our lives. We aren't just called to forgo revenge against our enemies, we're called to love them. Loving forgiveness is an intention. Resolving not to take revenge is at best neutral. Resolving to follow in the footsteps of Christ, who even when he was dying on the cross prayed that God would forgive those who crucified him, involves a movement of the heart towards the other person – and that isn't possible without the work of the Spirit within us to transform us into the likeness of Christ.

But forgiveness, at whatever level, has to be free, or it isn't real.

17 Likes 5 Shares

Re: Forgiveness: Weakness Of Christianity? by malvisguy212: 8:42am On Aug 14, 2016
Nice one op. The message in the gospel is clear, offence calls for repentance, repentance
calls for forgiveness.

I read a story of a woman name Corrie Ten Boom, she help the jew from the nazi during the holocaust, but when she meet a nazi, she could not forgive him, even when she really want to forgive. So she pray to jesus, to enable her to forgive him, she finally forgive the nazi From her HEART. With man this is impossible, but with God it is possible. Forgiveness is NOT an emotion, is an acts that must come from YOUR WILL.

15 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Forgiveness: Weakness Of Christianity? by Nobody: 10:43am On Aug 14, 2016
YES CHRISTIANS NEED TO LEARN HOW TO FORGIVE.

DOWNLOAD LATEST INSPIRATIONAL GOSPEL MUSIC @ http://mp3badoo.com.ng/category/gospel-music/
Re: Forgiveness: Weakness Of Christianity? by veekid(m): 10:43am On Aug 14, 2016
cool I'll read when I'm back from church
Re: Forgiveness: Weakness Of Christianity? by Nobody: 10:45am On Aug 14, 2016
ok. like d great Gandi said i like your Christ but d xtains are so unlike ur christ. they still continue to castigate judas till today. bt did Judas do anything bad was jesus not sent to die for us. how did judas now betray him

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Forgiveness: Weakness Of Christianity? by NigerianScholar: 10:46am On Aug 14, 2016
We are just humans. There is that one person we can never forgive.
Some people just deserve to be shot dead and be given a presidential suite in hell

iliyande
Re: Forgiveness: Weakness Of Christianity? by yorex2011: 10:46am On Aug 14, 2016
Forgiveness for me stems from the fact that the hands of time cannot be turned back.
Since the action cannot be undone, then no need to hurt yourself more by dwelling on the hurt inflicted on you already.
Truth is its human nature to err as even you would need forgiveness from people you have hurt.
Generally i feel forgiveness makes you happy, it gives you a sense of control over your own happiness. If one hurts you, then you forgive, but if the person continues with the same thing and takes your forgiveness for granted, then you give the person a life lesson that will make them learn, of course you forgive, but this time with a lesson attached. Wisdom will help decide the kind of lesson that will be taught but generally can be very effective.

I've been taught such lessons in my life and I'm grateful for them as it has helped me become wiser, cos truth is those things you did, if had been committed against someone else may have been catastrophic.

Bottomline, forgive because you are not perfect...
But ensure help the person hurting you see things in a different way. .

5 Likes

Re: Forgiveness: Weakness Of Christianity? by grodt999: 10:50am On Aug 14, 2016
rubbish,

Nelson Mandela decided to forgive the murders and exploitation of south Africa by whites, as a result he left 90% of his country's wealth in the hands of the minorities. For his troubles he received international awards and good press from white people who benefitted from his idiocy!

Black Africans usually forgive their governments and foreign exploiters because they believe judgement day will get them.

Forgiveness is a disease and an illiterate catastrope that has rendered most blacks nothing more than f0ols!

7 Likes

Re: Forgiveness: Weakness Of Christianity? by Touchnot01: 10:57am On Aug 14, 2016
Re: Forgiveness: Weakness Of Christianity? by Teespice(f): 11:00am On Aug 14, 2016
forgiveness is not a sign of weakness. it shows strength.

once you forgive, burdens are lifted and prayers are answered. you can't pray with grudges in your heart.

once you forgive, burdens are lifted and you feel free. not forgiving is like allowing someone to live in your heart rent free. the person carries on without a care while you are busy struggling with the weight.

it is not a choice to forgive. the Bible tells us to love and forgive our enemies and pray for them as well. even the Lords prayer says forgive us our trespasses as we forgive those who trespass against us.

2 Likes

Re: Forgiveness: Weakness Of Christianity? by Nobody: 11:04am On Aug 14, 2016
Forgiveness shows weakness, because the offender will surely repeat it again, buh if u repay evil for evil he will learn not to play dummy with you, people listen through the hard way

1 Like

Re: Forgiveness: Weakness Of Christianity? by pring: 11:14am On Aug 14, 2016
Forgiveness is the main reason for moral dacay in d society today.
Forgiveness makes Christianity lawless to some extent.
That is the main reason you read pastors dupe members, do anyhow with church funds, women n all the so called earthly thing's becos they know they are worshipping a merciful God.
Forgiveness made
Heaven, Hell n the coming of Christ which are the perceived penalties have gradually faded from todays preachings n teachings.
Re: Forgiveness: Weakness Of Christianity? by specimenC: 11:17am On Aug 14, 2016
grodt999:
rubbish,

Nelson Mandela decided to forgive the murders and exploitation of south Africa by whites, as a result he left 90% of his country's wealth in the hands of the minorities. For his troubles he received international awards and good press from white people who benefitted from his idiocy!

Black Africans usually forgive their governments and foreign exploiters because they believe judgement day will get them.

Forgiveness is a disease and an illiterate catastrope that has rendered most blacks as nothing more than f0ols!

And you think the black would have managed south africa's wealth better. Why doU think they are today africa biggest economy, it is the stone aged black mentality like yours that has gotten africa to this point. You blame white for everything and used it to justify all your atrocities. Animal Receive sense

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Forgiveness: Weakness Of Christianity? by bro4u: 11:27am On Aug 14, 2016
Forgiveness... that is what those blood sucking mammals are using against us, Christians from time immemorial has been very passionate in showing forgiveness to whoever inflict pain on them, that is why when Christians are killed and they have the intention of retaliating, the moment their Pastors tells them to relax and forgive they immediately concur.

Well for me its weakness because Christians have lost many lifes that could be easily avoided by a "show-off challenge", Christians have lost so many territories like Syria, Libya, Lebanon, Turkey, Tunisia, Morocco and many more due to our mild attitude and character towards the Ishmaelite's, now is not the time to show forgiveness towards a group of people that have vowed to inflict pain and agony on Christians, the earlier we stand to defend ourselves just like the CRUSADERS of old, the better for us.

2 Likes

Re: Forgiveness: Weakness Of Christianity? by SuperSupremo(m): 11:29am On Aug 14, 2016
Hahaha.....
Re: Forgiveness: Weakness Of Christianity? by iliyande(m): 11:31am On Aug 14, 2016
NigerianScholar:
We are just humans. There is that one person we can never forgive.
Some people just deserve to be shot dead and be given a presidential suite in hell

iliyande

And someone somewhere is of the opinion that "you" don't deserve to live. Then imagine how many people would've been death by now.
Re: Forgiveness: Weakness Of Christianity? by BrightEye(m): 11:44am On Aug 14, 2016
There are so many orphans out there as the result of, their parents been unforgiven and got killed.
Re: Forgiveness: Weakness Of Christianity? by ifenes(m): 11:49am On Aug 14, 2016
Forgive until you can take it no more. Yahweh of the bible is a typical example of a fictional character that never forgave. The dude even created a pit of torment due to his hatred for those who don't love him. Be like Mandela,not Yahweh

1 Like

Re: Forgiveness: Weakness Of Christianity? by WhatOnEarth: 12:01pm On Aug 14, 2016
eddyjibs:
ok. like d great Gandi said i like your Christ but d xtains are so unlike ur christ. they still continue to castigate judas till today. bt did Judas do anything bad was jesus not sent to die for us. how did judas now betray him

So what difference does it make if Ghandi loves Christ but doesn't love christians? Would he have become a christian if they were more like Christ? I don't get his point exactly. If he wanted to follow Jesus he should just do so and stop making excuses. Jesus gives all men the same command: "Take up your cross and follow ME". Not to follow "christians."

The Gospels state clearly that Judas betrayed Jesus. He sold him for thirty pieces of silver. He gave him away. He gave away his position. I guess you watch movies. People involved in conflict keep their positions secret. Judas gave away that. Even in the dark he positively identified the man for the authorities. Even the Gospels report Judas' regret. If even Judas acknowledge that he betrayed Jesus, I wonder how you would be the one to correct him. Except you don't believe the Gospel accounts.

If somebody tell you that they want to die is that enough reason for you to kill that person? If the man want to die, then, leave him to accomplish it his own way. Na him sabi.

Even Jesus told Judas he would betray him. But I guess Judas didn't take him seriously. My guess is that it was not once that Jesus told him such. But instead of him to have repented he kept on with his bad behaviour. Remember that Judas was the treasurer and he likely used to remove money from the treasury. So e don tay wen him bad karakta start. Him no gree repent even after the long rope wen Jesus give am.

For your information, it is Christianity, NOT Judasity. Nobody gives a f... about Judas that is why the letter to the Hebrews states:

"Therefore we also, since we are surrounded by so great a cloud of witnesses, let us lay aside every weight, and the sin which so easily ensnares us, and let us run with endurance the race that is set before us, looking unto Jesus, the author and finisher of our faith, who for the joy that was set before Him endured the cross, despising the shame, and has sat down at the right hand of the throne of God" Hebrews 12.1-2

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Forgiveness: Weakness Of Christianity? by mesoprogress(m): 12:06pm On Aug 14, 2016
That's one stark difference between Islam and Christianity. While we teach forgiveness, pray and love your enemies, Islam teaches revenge, death to enemy etc. You see them easily burning American flag, a perceived arch enemy. Christian teaching restrains Christians, even the non serious ones. If Muslims can only teach love for enemies, there would be peace in the world.

5 Likes

Re: Forgiveness: Weakness Of Christianity? by WhatOnEarth: 12:06pm On Aug 14, 2016
ifenes:
Forgive until you can take it no more. Yahweh of the bible is a typical example of a fictional character that never forgave. The dude even created a pit of torment due to his hatred for those who don't love him. Be like Mandela,not Yahweh

No offence taken... But try to investigate the matter before you spew nonsense. You could damn your soul in hell all by your own doing. If Yahweh is a fictional character then I guess you're just a fiction character yourself. Or from whence cometh thou?
Re: Forgiveness: Weakness Of Christianity? by geraldgiz(m): 12:15pm On Aug 14, 2016
Nice one op ,God bless
Re: Forgiveness: Weakness Of Christianity? by Amicable24: 12:16pm On Aug 14, 2016
MP3BADOOdotCOM:

Human beings in general need to learn how to forgive, not just Christians..

4 Likes

Re: Forgiveness: Weakness Of Christianity? by WhatOnEarth: 12:18pm On Aug 14, 2016
iliyande:
"Jesus told Peter to forgive 77 times"

Translations such as KJV, Douay-Rheims, NLT, NAB, Jubilee Bible report the number as "seventy TIMES seven" http://biblehub.com/matthew/18-22.htm

The numbers 7 and 70 have special significance in Judaism, often meaning perfection:
Creation was in 7 days
Isreal spent 70 years in captivity
One of Daniel's visions was something about 70
Every year following a 7x7 years was a Jubilee year (when forgiveness reigned supreme. Debts were forgiven and even slaves were set free).
There is a lot more.

So Jesus meant to tell peter that his forgiveness must reach that much perfection. Besides how will you be counting offences up to 490 times?

But remember, Jesus made a whip and flogged the bejesus out of some people undecided. So some things just can't be excused. But that is the silver lining. Everyone likes to think that their case is a SPECIAL case.... grin
Re: Forgiveness: Weakness Of Christianity? by ifenes(m): 12:19pm On Aug 14, 2016
WhatOnEarth:

No offence taken... But try to investigate the matter before you spew nonsense. You could damn your soul in hell all by your own doing. If Yahweh is a fictional character then I guess you're just a fiction character yourself. Or from whence cometh thou?

You can see me but cannot see yahweh because of one us is a fictional character

1 Like

Re: Forgiveness: Weakness Of Christianity? by WhatOnEarth: 12:20pm On Aug 14, 2016
MP3BADOOdotCOM:

And what makes you think that the onus is on Christians to forgive? Everyone needs compassion and it cannot be expected to come from Christians alone seeing that they are everywhere beset with problems.
Re: Forgiveness: Weakness Of Christianity? by kossyablaze(m): 12:23pm On Aug 14, 2016
Itz not easy to 4give
Re: Forgiveness: Weakness Of Christianity? by WhatOnEarth: 12:23pm On Aug 14, 2016
ifenes:

You can see me but cannot see yahweh because of of us is a fictional character

What makes your small mind think I can see you? hahahaha. Abi u dey under my seat.

Just the way you and I know that somebody is sitting behind that keyboard that is exactly the same way I know somebody is behind that this immensity called the Universe.

You get it now? Perhaps you think I'm a computer robot. hahahahaha.
Re: Forgiveness: Weakness Of Christianity? by sexilia: 12:25pm On Aug 14, 2016
Forgiveness is christlike buh that doesn't mean we shouldn't fight back. when someon comes with a needle to sew our mouth n our eyes should give them chance n forgive? We should fight. Remember the isrealite were always at war. This means they fought back. Nigerian christians must fight back now or else we won't have freedom to be christians tomorrw. If this uncircumcised pigs bombs a church, we bomb a mosque.

2 Likes

Re: Forgiveness: Weakness Of Christianity? by EazyMoh(m): 12:48pm On Aug 14, 2016
If someone slaps you turn the other cheek! Nothing like optional/conditional forgiveness.
Re: Forgiveness: Weakness Of Christianity? by Nobody: 1:04pm On Aug 14, 2016
Not only do you forgive you learn from the experience and pray not to go through it again

It's not easy sometimes when the person doesn't even see their wrong doing but truly forgiveness does not mean you should condone it continuously

Forgive and let God handle it

We all have deal breakers ...mine is an unrepentant soul
Re: Forgiveness: Weakness Of Christianity? by layez: 1:09pm On Aug 14, 2016
Forgiveness is nt even for who offends you,its actualy for you.. it causes burden as you may hold grudge wt the person who offends u..much more than xtian belief,i see the act of forgiveness as a moral thing to do...

P.S: Have a CONSCIOUS conscience

(1) (2) (Reply)

Is It Acceptable To Withhold Tithes If I Disagree With The Pastor? / Assisting A Friend Or Pay Tithe. / Why Hasn't God made an amputated limb grow back?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 54
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.