Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,790 members, 7,802,479 topics. Date: Friday, 19 April 2024 at 03:11 PM

Historical Analysis Of Achebe's There Was A Country- Part 1 - Literature - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Literature / Historical Analysis Of Achebe's There Was A Country- Part 1 (431 Views)

Historical Analysis Of Chinua Achebe's There Was A Country (part 4) / Historical Analysis Of Chinua Achebe's There Was A Country (part 3) / Historical Analysis Of Chinua Achebe's There Was A Country-part 2 (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

Historical Analysis Of Achebe's There Was A Country- Part 1 by ezelos(m): 9:46am On Aug 14, 2016
I am an active member of this forum and I have observed that issues related to history are not discussed. Hence, I have taken up the interest of re-tracing historical events that have contributed in shaping the life of the entity called Nigeria since independence using Chinua Achebe's precious gift to us, THERE WAS A COUNTRY, as a guide or reference . I hope you will enjoy it and contribute actively as we revive our sense of history. "Nigeria was given her freedom on a platter of gold."-Dr. Nnamdi Azikiwe. The independence of Nigeria was a scam because we weren't totally autonomous considering the innate interest of the British to lord it over us through the northern region. We didn't earn it like gallant soldiers, paving way for a weak foundation towards nationhood. Right from the start of 1960, the plagues of ethnic bias, hatred and intolerance had crept into the system causing decades of extensive damage.

This questions the truth-value of our tied existence.
As Achebe puts it,"Within six years of this tragic
colonial manipulation Nigeria was a cesspool of
corruption and misrule. Public servants helped
themselves freely to the nation's wealth...and those
who were in power wanted to stay in power. The
easiest and simplest way to retain it, even in a limited area, was to appeal to tribal sentiments..."

(1) (Reply)

God Will Provide: A Two Sided Story / Should He Miss His Dream Job Interview because Of Ipob's Sit_@home Instruction? / The Haunted House-a Poem

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 7
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.