Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,911 members, 7,802,964 topics. Date: Saturday, 20 April 2024 at 05:46 AM

Bilkis Rafiu, A 35-Year-old female vulcanizer in Kwara State - Career - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / Bilkis Rafiu, A 35-Year-old female vulcanizer in Kwara State (14395 Views)

Female Vulcanizer Who Works With Her Husband In Enugu -- Photos / Bilkis Rafiu, Female Vulcanizer In Kwara State With Swag (Photo) / Young Boy Who Works As A Vulcanizer In Ibadan (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Bilkis Rafiu, A 35-Year-old female vulcanizer in Kwara State by presido997(m): 3:14pm On Aug 14, 2016
When Bilikis Rafiu was with her parents as a young lady, she thought life would be bed of roses for her, unknowingly to her, she would end up as a vulcanizer.
Even though, her uncle whose name was not disclosed is also into the job, but as a woman, her thought was to be an hairdresser, and petty trading to survive.
Like a destiny which follow all human being irrespective of challenges, Bilkis Rafiu later got married to her uncle’s apprenticeship Aremu Olaitan Rafiu few years ago. Bilkis Rafiu, a 35-year-old from Oke Oyi, Ilorin East Local Government, Kwara State happened to be the only female vulcanizer in Kwara State.
She was sighted by our correspondent along Oke-Adini, Kulende area in Ilorin where she usually display her skills and ply her trade, a career that is believed to belong to the men only.
The mother of four children revealed that her parents could not afford to see her through a formal education, no thanks to her the polygamous where she grew up.
In her early years, she was compelled to sell sachet water, snacks, soft drinks on the streets in other to raise money to assist her mother as the trend in some Nigerian States.

Journey
Recalling how she started her adventurous life before delving into vulcanizing work, Bilkis Rafiu revealed that, she was an apprehentice in Lokoja, Kogi State under her elder sister who had a saloon where she served for close to ten years.
“I never believed that I would go into vulcanizing work as a woman, but when I came back from Lokoja where I had served under my sister, I met a man who is my current husband and he introduced the work to me,” She said.
Bilkis Rafiu developed interest in vulcanizing and accepted to learn the act, this took her just six months to be perfect compare to hairdressing that took her almost a decade to learn.
Throughout the period in which Bilkis Rafiu was learning this trade, she did not pay any money to Aremu Rafiu Olaitan, her trainer – the man she eventually got married to.
“Then, I used to observe how my husband do his work, and I used to see how many motorists used to patronise him in which I later developed interest for the job.
“I approached him if I could be under him, and I even thought that he would scold me, but he accepted me and encouraged me not knowing that he would later become the father of my children,” she said.
Even though, Bilkis’ parents were unable to send her to school, her father was nonchalant, her mother, however, kicked against what she chose to do as a means of livelihood.
“My father has many wives, so he does not care about anyone, but my mother was against this job when I started as she claimed that the work is meant for men.
“The third day when I started learning this work, I had a serious cut in my left hand when I was trying to remove a tyre from the rim, and it took me three weeks before the wound healed up.
“After recuperating, I told my mother that I would go back to vulcanizing work, and to my surprise, she agreed since that was what I wanted,” she explained.
After a while, Bilkis Rafiu decided to start the vulcanizing work at the front of the house where she and her husband lives and she revealed that she never regretted learning the work.
“When I started this work on my own on full time basis, a lot of people were asking me the reason why I decided to be a vulcanizer, and what I told them was I wanted something different as a woman.
“There are so many ladies who are into tailoring, hair dressing and so on, but I thought this work would bring a lot of sales for me considering my status as a woman and I am happy up till now because I make up to Five thousand naira everyday from this job.
“Even my husband who also has his own shop does not make the sales I use to make here and for the past five years that I have started this work, I have never had any cause to regret doing this job,” she stressed.
When asked if she would love any of her children to also go into vulcanizing, she said: “Me and my husband are using the money we are making to send our children to school since we never had the chance to go, but all our children will also know how to do this but it is not necessary that they practice it.

Challenges
Bilkis Rafiu said some male customers do assault her sexually claiming that some men would seek for her phone numbers after she might have done the job brought to her. Sometimes, she said she would receive strange calls to come over to hotel.
“There was a man who collected my phone number after I had repaired his car tyres and he later called me to come over to meet him in an hotel, I realised he was into another thing, and I told him not to call me for such illegitimate act again.
“So, that are some of the challenges I do receive on this job, but I am not bothered because life itself is a challenge,”

Profit?

Bilkis Rafiu explained that, she earns a minimum sum of N5,000 on a daily basis, some part of the realised funds were normally used to take care of her children, savings, and to also attend to all other needs.

“I am happy doing this job because I use to make at least 5,000 naira daily which is alright for me rather than going into labouring work that could attract assault.

Husband’s Reaction

Mr Aremu Rafiu Olaitan, a 40-year-old who is from Ilorin said that his wife has being a fortress to him, adding that, he never regretted marrying her.

“Some people do abuse me that she was doing the job so that I can’t marry a second wife, but I thank God that we are able to cater for our children, planning ahead for our family.

“Today, I have two motorcycles and I don’t care what people are saying again, after all, I am able to discharge my responsibilities as husband in my extended family and I have never owed anyone.

“Every morning, I use to go to my own stand, and my wife would be at home to do her work and also to cater for the children and prepare our home needs, I support her chosen career, and I am happy she is doing well for herself and the family,” he explained.

Customer’s Remarks

A motorist Rasak Akinola who came to repair his tyre as at the time when NAIJ.com was speaking with Bilkis Rafiu, said he was surprised when he saw that women can remove car tyres, repair them and fix without any obvious stress.

“This show that what a man can do, a woman can do better and I believe that there are many people that would share the same views with me on this,”.

Another customer named Wuraola Ajao, said she felt challenged when she saw Bilkis for the first time doing the work supposedly reserved for men.

“Since the first day I saw her, I have been patronising her anytime I have trouble with my tyres so as to appreciate her for what she does. Even sometimes, I do tell people about her.

Nothing is wrong

A legal Practitioner, Barrister Lawal Akanbi while speaking with NAIJ.com disclosed that, there is nothing unusual in what Bilikis is doing.

“What matter most is that the job she is doing must be legitimate in which people can associate with in our community. We have seen women who assist their husbands in robbery, crimes, selling helms and at the end of the day, they endanger lives of their children. So, I believe she is not doing what is wrong.”

Bilikis said she is contented with her business, “No stress and I am happy with myself and my chosen career, I am also working for myself, whatever a man can do, a woman can also do better.

https://www.naij.com/922590-unveiled-life-female-vulcanizer-ilorin.html

7 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Bilkis Rafiu, A 35-Year-old female vulcanizer in Kwara State by willbayo(m): 2:30pm On Aug 15, 2016
end time vulcanizer
Re: Bilkis Rafiu, A 35-Year-old female vulcanizer in Kwara State by Nobody: 6:44am On Aug 16, 2016
I love hardworking independent women. God bless her and her business.

13 Likes 1 Share

Re: Bilkis Rafiu, A 35-Year-old female vulcanizer in Kwara State by hlord: 6:44am On Aug 16, 2016
Kai. You these guys wey dey my up sabi run sha. Am the same FP tinz cheesy grin

1 Like

Re: Bilkis Rafiu, A 35-Year-old female vulcanizer in Kwara State by herzern(m): 6:44am On Aug 16, 2016
Thank God for her life.....and choice of profession.......

Diqnity of Labour.....

5 Likes

Re: Bilkis Rafiu, A 35-Year-old female vulcanizer in Kwara State by herzern(m): 6:44am On Aug 16, 2016
cool
Re: Bilkis Rafiu, A 35-Year-old female vulcanizer in Kwara State by Turks: 6:45am On Aug 16, 2016
What a man can do, a woman can do better...But she go quick old sha sad

1 Like

Re: Bilkis Rafiu, A 35-Year-old female vulcanizer in Kwara State by beautiful232(f): 6:48am On Aug 16, 2016
:Pgoing back to bed
when you have a good thread wake me biko :
Re: Bilkis Rafiu, A 35-Year-old female vulcanizer in Kwara State by Nobody: 6:50am On Aug 16, 2016
LastMumu:
I love hardworking independent women. God bless her and her business.

So you are not a "mumu" afterall

6 Likes

Re: Bilkis Rafiu, A 35-Year-old female vulcanizer in Kwara State by Brayss(m): 6:50am On Aug 16, 2016
Well done check my signature
Re: Bilkis Rafiu, A 35-Year-old female vulcanizer in Kwara State by lonelydora: 6:52am On Aug 16, 2016
Good one..........Dignity in labour. But her outfit is not right for the job. She should be safety conscious.

Why are vulcanizers not rich after long years of doing the job?

2 Likes

Re: Bilkis Rafiu, A 35-Year-old female vulcanizer in Kwara State by Nobody: 6:52am On Aug 16, 2016
willbayo:
end time vulcanizer

End time ftc post sad

1 Like

Re: Bilkis Rafiu, A 35-Year-old female vulcanizer in Kwara State by GaniLAb(m): 6:58am On Aug 16, 2016
More grease to your elbow.

1 Like

Re: Bilkis Rafiu, A 35-Year-old female vulcanizer in Kwara State by ozoboJ: 7:00am On Aug 16, 2016
man must survive o smiley

1 Like

Re: Bilkis Rafiu, A 35-Year-old female vulcanizer in Kwara State by engrjacuzzi: 7:05am On Aug 16, 2016
when you vote for APC n things are not smiling, I can't be blue anymore if things thus get worse by the day. we have seen female drivers, conductors, and now vulcanizer, we may soon see female condemned iron seller.

1 Like

Re: Bilkis Rafiu, A 35-Year-old female vulcanizer in Kwara State by vivianbelema(f): 7:05am On Aug 16, 2016
Na wao
Re: Bilkis Rafiu, A 35-Year-old female vulcanizer in Kwara State by Amoshie(m): 7:09am On Aug 16, 2016
A woman with this spirit is irresistible. God bless your hustle.

2 Likes

Re: Bilkis Rafiu, A 35-Year-old female vulcanizer in Kwara State by Amoshie(m): 7:09am On Aug 16, 2016
A woman with this spirit is irresistible. May God bless your hustle madam.

1 Like

Re: Bilkis Rafiu, A 35-Year-old female vulcanizer in Kwara State by Sayelabola(m): 7:12am On Aug 16, 2016
beautiful232:

She's a woman like you...kindly encourage her.

3 Likes

Re: Bilkis Rafiu, A 35-Year-old female vulcanizer in Kwara State by lovedatruth(m): 7:12am On Aug 16, 2016
So impressed, tho she fall my hand wearing such dress on a Technical Job.

2 Likes

Re: Bilkis Rafiu, A 35-Year-old female vulcanizer in Kwara State by ANIEXTY(m): 7:16am On Aug 16, 2016
What a man can do......
Re: Bilkis Rafiu, A 35-Year-old female vulcanizer in Kwara State by djraymy(m): 7:20am On Aug 16, 2016
if a man start doing women work nw then go say na laziness
Re: Bilkis Rafiu, A 35-Year-old female vulcanizer in Kwara State by Btruth: 7:25am On Aug 16, 2016
beautiful232:

Can you imagine? So you cannot borrow one or two thing from this lady's story? Have you calculated how much N5,000 X 25 days will be in a month for her instead of lazy around and waiting for her husband to come?

I pity young ladies of today. lipsrsealed
Re: Bilkis Rafiu, A 35-Year-old female vulcanizer in Kwara State by olahero(m): 7:35am On Aug 16, 2016
Unbelievable, that's my area and I haven't noticed that for once.
Re: Bilkis Rafiu, A 35-Year-old female vulcanizer in Kwara State by kaybee09(m): 7:43am On Aug 16, 2016
She try no be small

1 Like

Re: Bilkis Rafiu, A 35-Year-old female vulcanizer in Kwara State by swagzking11(m): 8:15am On Aug 16, 2016
guys double ur hustle
Re: Bilkis Rafiu, A 35-Year-old female vulcanizer in Kwara State by careercrew1: 8:18am On Aug 16, 2016
God bless her hustle.. This is why I always advice people not to wait for a white collar job before you earn some money/income.

I even wrote an article on some businesses you can start with just little cash.

Please visit www.careercrewblog.com/2016/06/5-businesses-you-can-start-with-just.html for more information on that.

You can check my NL profile for my twitter handle and follow me on twitter for more info on entrepreneurship, career development and human capacity development. I follow back too.
Re: Bilkis Rafiu, A 35-Year-old female vulcanizer in Kwara State by beautiful232(f): 8:49am On Aug 16, 2016
Sayelabola:

She's a woman like you...kindly encourage her.

I'm not trying to discourage her
but I think that's too stressful for her

1 Like

Re: Bilkis Rafiu, A 35-Year-old female vulcanizer in Kwara State by beautiful232(f): 8:50am On Aug 16, 2016
Btruth:
Can you imagine? So you cannot borrow one or two thing from this lady's story? Have you calculated how much N5,000 X 25 days will be in a month for her instead of lazy around and waiting for her husband to come?

I pity young ladies of today. lipsrsealed

You don't have to quote me

I might be joking with my comments
Re: Bilkis Rafiu, A 35-Year-old female vulcanizer in Kwara State by ichommy(m): 9:02am On Aug 16, 2016
Super Woman.

1 Like

Re: Bilkis Rafiu, A 35-Year-old female vulcanizer in Kwara State by Ibro2005: 9:05am On Aug 16, 2016
I dont knw why some people use "in other" in place of "in order"
Re: Bilkis Rafiu, A 35-Year-old female vulcanizer in Kwara State by nnaemekanwachuk(m): 9:26am On Aug 16, 2016
Belive me you will eat the fruit of your labour in Due course.

(1) (2) (Reply)

Reasons Why Employers Could Sack Employees In Nigeria Without Prio Notice Or Ent / Here's How They Escaped Unemployment, Fake Job Scams And Poverty / 4 Warning Signs That You Won’t Get The Job – And How You Can Fix It

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 37
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.