Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,149,999 members, 7,806,900 topics. Date: Wednesday, 24 April 2024 at 06:39 AM

Taiwo Gold Ayodeji Renounces Religion, Says ‘I Know I Have Disappointed Many’ - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Taiwo Gold Ayodeji Renounces Religion, Says ‘I Know I Have Disappointed Many’ (37548 Views)

Former Herbalist Is Confronted, Renounces Fetish Practices, Surrenders To Jesus. / Pastor Dele Taiwo And Doyin His Wife Welcome Their First Child (Photos) / Dwarf RCCG Pastor Dele Taiwo's Wedding Photos (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Taiwo Gold Ayodeji Renounces Religion, Says ‘I Know I Have Disappointed Many’ by Ynaira: 10:00pm On Aug 14, 2016

Unilag Alumnus Renounces Religion, Says ‘I Know I Have Disappointed Many’

An alumnus of the University of Lagos (UNILAG), Taiwo Gold Ayodeji has renounced the religion of Islam, making a switch to Atheism.

The UNILAG graduate who currently resides in Germany, made the declaration on his social media page, stating that hat he did not renounce the religion because want to sleep with different girls, or spend all his time in a club or become a “bad boy”.

Here is what Taiwo Gold Ayodeji shared hours ago:

[b]I’m now an atheist. There is nothing to hide anymore. I’ve hid this fact for a very long time now. Before leaving Nigeria, I had confirmed to myself that I lack a belief in the gods of any religion or in the existence of supernatural entities. This is not a decision I made because of the “freedoms” of Germany. At first, I was shocked and scared that I came to this conclusion. I said to myself: “Ayo, you’ve memorized a decent portion of the Qur’an, you can’t do this, you can’t allow the Shaytan(Satan) to use you now, repent and return to Allah”. I however quickly realized that there was no turning back for me.

I have weighed the evidence for the Abrahamic religions(Judaism, Christianity, Islam) and realized that they are no different from the earlier Zoroastrian faith or even Manichaeism. We are born into this world mostly through our mothers and from birth, we are labelled with a religion, tribe and even social class; we never choose them. I am often amused when people say to me “I chose my faith, I was not born into or forced into it”. This, in my opinion, is a highly dishonest statement. If you chose your religion, why is it that it’s the same religion of your parents/guardians? Why is it that it’s the same religion(s) of your society? Why have we not seen Nigerian Hindus evangelizing? Or Nigerian Zoroastrians? The answer is simply that most of us have not heard of these religions.

I am not an atheist because I want to sleep with different girls, or spend all my time in a club or become a “bad boy”. I’m an atheist because I know with a high level of certainty that no one knows about the existence of a God; if we knew about a God, we would all have the same idea of him/her/it/them. But the reality is different; everyone believes differently about God. Some think God is male. Others think God is a giant Elephant. Some others think God is on a throne in Paradise. Another set think God has a son and several children. We even have groups that think God wields a hammer and lives close to the North Pole. Which of these ideas is correct? How do we test or validate them?

My disbelief in God and religion has made the circumstances very harsh for me. I lost a girl that I really loved. I lost the friendship of close friends. I got a few scary and saddening messages from former friends. I was diagnosed with depression by the psychiatrists at my university in Munich. Only few people know this. I was put on Sertraline Zoloft to curb my anxiety and panic attacks. For me, it was a painful dawn that I became an atheist. I’m lucky I could pass my exams very well in spite of all these.

Out forefathers evolved a belief in God(s) mostly due to a lack of understanding of natural processes during their time. The hurricane, tornado, tsunami came with their full force and our ancestors thought this was because of their own misdeeds. They knelt and bowed to the sky and begged for restraint. They offered each other as sacrifice to appease the entities that were “controlling” these disasters. Today we know how the Coriolis force, tectonic plate motions and so on drive these disasters. We know today that earthquakes are not due to homosexuality or sin but due to converging tectonic plates.

Some may ask me “now that you don’t believe in God, how would you be moral or good?”. My answer is that morality is not based on religion. If many of us took our morals from religion, we would stone all fornicators around us. We would kill those who don’t believe like us. Morality is evolved; societies that were immoral simply became weaker and died off. They killed each other and looted each other’s property and became weaker ensuring that they weren’t strong enough to defend themselves from warring tribes.

Some may also ask me “if you don’t believe in a God then how did we all get to this world?”. My answer to this is two-fold. One, I came here through my mother like most of you. Secondly, as regards initial existence, I don’t know how it started but neither do you. The only difference is that I’m honest with this answer. How can we know about things that are beyond our conception? What is wrong with saying “I don’t know about the origins of life”?

I’ve been threatened with hellfire as a punishment for my disbelief. What can I say? Who amongst those who threaten have seen such a place? Many of us are afraid of hell and thus stick to religion. Unknown to us, we create a hell in this world for ourselves and loved ones. Muslims and Christians threaten each other with hell but both of them can’t be correct at the same time. Even within Islam, many think the Ahmadis and Shi’ites are hell-bound.

I think everyone should be free to believe or lack belief in a God or Gods. I don’t criticize others for holding religious beliefs; I only take offence if those beliefs are harmful to other people.

I think that life should be lived with positivity and happiness. Some live longer than others but it’s not enough reason to not be happy in this world.

If I ever return to religion, I would return to the religion of my ancestors. I would worship Eledumare through Ifa and I would happily recite the “Odu”(I lack a proper English translation; someone can help) of Ifa and praise Eledumare. Our ancestors were at peace with this before the invasion of the Abrahamic faiths.

I know I have disappointed many, but each person has an individual course to chart in life. I hope that I would be accepted by those that I love in spite of our differences.

Most of all I wish myself a good life ahead!
[/b]

Source: http://www.breezereporters.com/unilag-alumnus-renounces-religion-says-i-know-i-have-disappointed-many/

73 Likes 20 Shares

Re: Taiwo Gold Ayodeji Renounces Religion, Says ‘I Know I Have Disappointed Many’ by Brymo: 10:15pm On Aug 14, 2016
"Among the repulsions of atheism for me has been its drastic uninterestingness
as an intellectual position. Where was the ingenuity, the ambiguity, the humanity
(in the Harvard sense) of saying that the universe just happened to happen and
that when we're dead we're dead?"
-John Updike

31 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Taiwo Gold Ayodeji Renounces Religion, Says ‘I Know I Have Disappointed Many’ by Nobody: 11:09pm On Aug 14, 2016
lalasticlala snake!!!

7 Likes

Re: Taiwo Gold Ayodeji Renounces Religion, Says ‘I Know I Have Disappointed Many’ by LMohd(m): 11:31pm On Aug 14, 2016
ok
Re: Taiwo Gold Ayodeji Renounces Religion, Says ‘I Know I Have Disappointed Many’ by hpk(m): 1:10am On Aug 15, 2016
WAY TO GO YOUNG LAD!!

24 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Taiwo Gold Ayodeji Renounces Religion, Says ‘I Know I Have Disappointed Many’ by GogetterMD(m): 6:09am On Aug 15, 2016
Religion is supposed to make the world whole, loving, tolerable and liveable, but no, it's actually the human mind that has decided to not obey what religion tells us of what's good and what's evil

You can't separate morality from religion. Humans birthed politics out of religion. Religion is supposed to help guide human morality, keep the mind from overshooting it's boundary on its path to seeking superiority and glory. But no, most of we humans do away with that.

So it's not religion that is turning the world upside down, it's humans turning the world upside down

41 Likes 1 Share

Re: Taiwo Gold Ayodeji Renounces Religion, Says ‘I Know I Have Disappointed Many’ by Opistorincos(m): 7:15am On Aug 15, 2016
This is clearly the blindfold of the devil, I will keep praying for you to have a change of heart so that we can all meet in the place of everlasting joy called heaven /AL jannah as my Muslim brothers and sisters call it

35 Likes 1 Share

Re: Taiwo Gold Ayodeji Renounces Religion, Says ‘I Know I Have Disappointed Many’ by HighQue007: 7:24am On Aug 15, 2016
This generation will make a change..

A lot of things are happening and the world is gradually getting back to thier senses..

Enough of religion tales..Its an embarrasement to human reasoning.

REVOLUTION IS COMING..

technophile:

Lol... Revolution aint coming bro.
these aree the signs of end time that the bible speaks of, give you life to christ. Supernatural exist bro. Give your life to Jesus now before its too late

I dont believe in Christ and Bible so if you want to proof a point to me dont use either of the two as it will make ur proof baseless may be you should start with the proof How God the most high used his own handwritting to write bible.

Did you know if you were born in india or china, you probably wouldnt be talking about Jesus or bible so for the fact that you didnt chose ur faith, you cant confirm it is the way.

We have well over hundreds of religions all claiming they are the way to heaven.

Abrahamic religion came into Africa through slavery and i am not believing in it cos i seize to be a slave..

Too many unaswered question and if you ask, you are threathened with imaginary hell fire..why would God watch his own creation burn ..i cant serve a cruel,jealous God probably you need to change yours.

Religion has done more bad than good to this earth..

If our governement is good and everything is going on fine our churches wont be crowded as a result of pple looking for miracles that doesnt exist...with the natural resources in Africa, we dont need to fast 40days,40nightes to get a decent clothing and shelter..
.have you wondered why africa is the most religious and same time the most poorly developed, yes Its cos our leaders are bad, commiting attrocities in jesus, allah's name and the victims are the poor masses that needs something to hold on to for hopes so they have to believe in the tale..meanwhie these poor masses out of nothing and trecking miles donate Money to our so called pastors to buy jets and properties,building universities these victims cant even afford.
While these politicians and pastors wine and dine on our vulnerability... The former head of CAN's jet was used to courier funds to SA, who knows many that would have gove unoticed.
Do you know the richest pastor in the world is in Nigeria and yet we suffereing so thats to confirm point..there is a relationship betwee. All of these things but you cant see it cos we are blind by religion.

Like i said revolution is coming..the youths that would be the future leaders are finnaly waking up..

71 Likes 7 Shares

Re: Taiwo Gold Ayodeji Renounces Religion, Says ‘I Know I Have Disappointed Many’ by boolee(m): 7:32am On Aug 15, 2016
"Death" is a enough proof that there is a supreme being that controls the universe.

35 Likes

Re: Taiwo Gold Ayodeji Renounces Religion, Says ‘I Know I Have Disappointed Many’ by bestspoke: 10:09am On Aug 15, 2016
torr

1 Like

Re: Taiwo Gold Ayodeji Renounces Religion, Says ‘I Know I Have Disappointed Many’ by Proffdada: 10:10am On Aug 15, 2016
His loss though undecided

44 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Taiwo Gold Ayodeji Renounces Religion, Says ‘I Know I Have Disappointed Many’ by Originality007: 10:10am On Aug 15, 2016
Na him sabi, undecided as for me and my House we shall serve the Lord cheesy cheesy

124 Likes 5 Shares

Re: Taiwo Gold Ayodeji Renounces Religion, Says ‘I Know I Have Disappointed Many’ by jamesPAN(m): 10:11am On Aug 15, 2016
his life, his choice

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Taiwo Gold Ayodeji Renounces Religion, Says ‘I Know I Have Disappointed Many’ by haibe(m): 10:11am On Aug 15, 2016
Anything that pleases him. Sooner or Later we will all realise who is wrong and who is right. Most important thing is that we tolerate each other and live in peace.!!

11 Likes

Re: Taiwo Gold Ayodeji Renounces Religion, Says ‘I Know I Have Disappointed Many’ by TwentyOnePilots(m): 10:11am On Aug 15, 2016
Your Life... Your Choice... But GOD All The Way!

5 Likes

Re: Taiwo Gold Ayodeji Renounces Religion, Says ‘I Know I Have Disappointed Many’ by Nobody: 10:12am On Aug 15, 2016
undecided
Re: Taiwo Gold Ayodeji Renounces Religion, Says ‘I Know I Have Disappointed Many’ by Jibabs2(m): 10:16am On Aug 15, 2016
Without GOD I'm notin

4 Likes

Re: Taiwo Gold Ayodeji Renounces Religion, Says ‘I Know I Have Disappointed Many’ by onnenka: 10:17am On Aug 15, 2016
It's better than remaining a Muslim. If only we had more atheists than Muslims in this world.

27 Likes 1 Share

Re: Taiwo Gold Ayodeji Renounces Religion, Says ‘I Know I Have Disappointed Many’ by duduade: 10:19am On Aug 15, 2016
hpk:
WAY TO GO YOUNG LAD!!

Abi see fine man
Re: Taiwo Gold Ayodeji Renounces Religion, Says ‘I Know I Have Disappointed Many’ by Araoluwa005(m): 10:20am On Aug 15, 2016
Greatest mistake ever made by man is to say there is no God. Jesus the son of God, I believe in you

38 Likes 1 Share

Re: Taiwo Gold Ayodeji Renounces Religion, Says ‘I Know I Have Disappointed Many’ by MadCow1: 10:22am On Aug 15, 2016
Meanwhile in UNIBEN....... angry angry angry
Re: Taiwo Gold Ayodeji Renounces Religion, Says ‘I Know I Have Disappointed Many’ by MrHenshaw: 10:23am On Aug 15, 2016
Re: Taiwo Gold Ayodeji Renounces Religion, Says ‘I Know I Have Disappointed Many’ by wealthpin: 10:23am On Aug 15, 2016
Not many people would want to comment on this interesting piece...
But truth be told ...this guy really made some good points in his conclusions about religions and its teachings.
Anyway,I strongly believe there is a God of creation.
My faith in Him knows no bounds.

19 Likes

Re: Taiwo Gold Ayodeji Renounces Religion, Says ‘I Know I Have Disappointed Many’ by infogenius(m): 10:23am On Aug 15, 2016
Ynaira:

Source: http://www.breezereporters.com/unilag-alumnus-renounces-religion-says-i-know-i-have-disappointed-many/

Are you sure you disappointed many?

Bro you disappointed yourself.
I wish you the best.

4 Likes

Re: Taiwo Gold Ayodeji Renounces Religion, Says ‘I Know I Have Disappointed Many’ by zigalo(m): 10:23am On Aug 15, 2016
Hmmm... As difficult to believe as it seems, The op made some valid points. Your life, your choice. Wish you a good life ahead

12 Likes

Re: Taiwo Gold Ayodeji Renounces Religion, Says ‘I Know I Have Disappointed Many’ by SmathGate(m): 10:24am On Aug 15, 2016
i once said if there was no religion whatsoever on earth that the world would have been better off, there wouldn't have been so much problem with Muslims and christians attacking each other religion everyday. Religion is not what teaches us Good from Bad.

15 Likes

Re: Taiwo Gold Ayodeji Renounces Religion, Says ‘I Know I Have Disappointed Many’ by seenter84: 10:24am On Aug 15, 2016
Confusion everywhere!!
Re: Taiwo Gold Ayodeji Renounces Religion, Says ‘I Know I Have Disappointed Many’ by Viktor1983(m): 10:27am On Aug 15, 2016
It's all good....
Different strokes for different folks.
He's more honest than a whole bunch of hypo's Out here.

4 Likes

Re: Taiwo Gold Ayodeji Renounces Religion, Says ‘I Know I Have Disappointed Many’ by Nobody: 10:28am On Aug 15, 2016
U dont have to believe in God to be a good human.
I, myself, have battled with this severally. Sometimes i think Relgion is a limiter, something that cages ur freewill, something bequeathed to you by ur parents....something the society expects u to belong to.

I had read the bible a couple of times and yet i cant get any conviction. The quoran, i didnt bother. the behaviours of its adherents is enought to turn off ur belief in God.

But then i read stephen hawkingz A brief History of time, its a science essay but surprising it restored my belief in God, an intelligent being out there.

What also solidified my belief in an intelligent Being x the process of decomposition. In my research as a part time lab rat, u see a corpse going via all the stages of death. The insects, their larvae, the gases comng off at different stages....its all design. Watching a corpse go via these is almost beautiful. It makes u appreciate the basics of existence and the need to return nutrients back for other organisms, the need to clean up.....This is design, The Creator is there. He might not have thunderous voice or respond to our every prayer.....but hez there.

24 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Taiwo Gold Ayodeji Renounces Religion, Says ‘I Know I Have Disappointed Many’ by Adonis3: 10:28am On Aug 15, 2016
b
Re: Taiwo Gold Ayodeji Renounces Religion, Says ‘I Know I Have Disappointed Many’ by spacyzuma(m): 10:28am On Aug 15, 2016
Bravo to him *applause*

2 Likes

Re: Taiwo Gold Ayodeji Renounces Religion, Says ‘I Know I Have Disappointed Many’ by hahn(m): 10:30am On Aug 15, 2016
smiley

17 Likes 2 Shares

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

When You Only Meet Men That Only Want Sex / Deeper Life Bible Church Auditorium In Lagos (Pictures) / Oyakhilome Consoles South Africans Over Synagogue Collapse

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 69
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.