Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,274 members, 7,807,926 topics. Date: Wednesday, 24 April 2024 at 10:55 PM

Why Is Medicine Unattractive In Nigeria? - Career (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / Why Is Medicine Unattractive In Nigeria? (14911 Views)

I Need Advice On Career Change From Medicine To Management Consulting / Herbal Medicine And Natural Health Course / Medicine Or Pharmacy?which Should I Go For?? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Why Is Medicine Unattractive In Nigeria? by SonofHim: 2:41pm On Aug 20, 2016

1 Like

Re: Why Is Medicine Unattractive In Nigeria? by SonofHim: 2:52pm On Aug 20, 2016
Ronaldinnioh:

Sorry....it seems you don't know what you are saying? Maybe you go to the teaching hospitals and see for yourself. I am in medicine and Surgery in University of Ibadan.
Get to UCH
And start your clinical posting in Medicine, Surgery, Pharmacology, Pediatric, O&G,Orthopedic, Community health, Mental health, morbid anatomy, hematology, chemical pathology and Micro/parasitology. You will understand the beauty of Medicine. Don't be outside and condemn what you dont know at all.

Medicine is the only course in Nigeria that have developed in the last decade. Pls mind what you post on Nairaland before you become an object of ridicule.

I wish you good luck in getting your medicine in Nigeria or abroad.

And you know how it is to get a slot in Top federal universities without knowing anyone.

And person can be withdrawn if the person fails MBcB/MBBS in limited times.

Say No To Ignorantic Post On Nairaland

Ha ha ha ha ha. Dockeeey!!! I greet you chief. You never do housejob, MO or write primaries, talkless of huzzle for space for residency (where you go know say MBBS na child's play), you don begin dey give inaugural lecture. Don't worry, let's have this discussion again in 6 years time. I wish you the very best in your academic pursuit.
Re: Why Is Medicine Unattractive In Nigeria? by SonofHim: 3:08pm On Aug 20, 2016
ceaser:

Sorry to disappoint you. As it stands now in this country, a lot of absurdities have come into play that has made the profession unattractive (unattractive is even an understatement). Ranging from intra-sectoral (health sector) hatred for the average doctor to the national dislike for anyone that bears that title, also in connivance with other professionals within the sector and with a few medical elders (CMDs et al) whose atypical attitude us is neither attributable to senility or misunderstanding, but sheer selfishness and greed aimed at enriching 'emselves at the expense of the younger colleagues. Equipments and resources to make you at par with colleagues in other climes in terms of patient handling and treatment are non-existent. You sadly watch some patients fight for their lives because oxygen cylinders are not available for you to do the needful. When you demand the government and even the hospital heads correct these anomalies, they say doctors have come with their wahala again. Remunerations nko? Ah, that one na hydra headed. Even the patients that you have hitherto contributed monies for their treatment rise up against you in defence of the government that have plunged them in poverty. Then you start hearing things like: " they like money too mush". The other members of the health team too rise up against the doctor: "A doctor must never earn more than I do"."What do they even do sef that the pharmacist cannot do?". "I as the hospital accountant is also entitled to health hazard allowance of 5 thousand naira even though I sit in an air conditioned room away from the dangers and health hazards faced by the ward maids, nurses and other core members of the medical team. Mind you, hazard allowance of 5k isn't enough to treat malaria. So how d'you think that'll handle hepatitis or Lassa (RIP to the doctor that passed on 2 days ago in ABUTH from Lassa contracted from his patient and to Doctor Adadevoh, the heroine of the Ebola war) or HIV, PTB etc. My brother, your leaders have served the country to the dogs.
Put together 10 Nigerian doctors currently resident in the country, 80% of them will wish their children go for more lucrative jobs than medicine and if they must study medicine (either in this country or outside), they will NEVER wish the children work in this country.

I must tell you that within the past seven months, 10 Nigerian medical doctors of various cadres, who are all well known to me, have taken sojourn in countries where the medical profession is valued for what it naturally is, without prejudice and without fear or favour. Four in Australia, three in Great Britain (and Ireland), two in Canada and one in Jamaica. Almost all already have their families relocated.

Now that is just the ten I know. What about the multiples of ten such doctors that are known to others as well? It's a worrisome trend, and this country is in deep shyte!

The travails of our Olympics team, though not the main issue of discussion here, is a story left for another day.

I greet you dear colleague. You have done justice to this topic. My heart is heavy. I weep for this country.

1 Like

Re: Why Is Medicine Unattractive In Nigeria? by ElPhoche(m): 3:22pm On Aug 20, 2016
Dripy:
Medicine is attractive in Nigeria but the problem is lack of medical infrastructure. Even the government of the day is doing little or nothing to address the rot and decay in the health sector.
Government pays better than private hospitals but some private hospitals have better equipment which in turn makes their services more exorbitant.
Government run health facilities are understaffed and their is no effort towards maintenance of existing facilities. Old ones are not replaced and new ones are not brought in. How many dialysis machines do we have in government run health facilities in Nigeria? Even drugs and stuffs as little as handgloves are lacking in government hospitals. These things reduce the efficiency of doctors and they would rather practice in a place where all needed facilities are put in place for optimal and maximum performance.
Till we get things right, we will always have brain drain of doctors in Nigeria. This is why we have many health issues in Nigeria because the ratio of doctors to patients leaves much to be desired.
I went to a government run health facility to run some tests two weeks back: only one person was on duty; collecting money, issuing receipts, taking the sample, running the test and writing the results: tell me why errors will not be high!
Brother, you summarized it well. Imagine, we had a case brought in, of Lassa fever in the teaching hospital where I work, the man died that day, a doctor even. Despite d inadequate preventive barrier dressing, my hazard allowance is pegged at 5 thousand naira. My friend had a needle prick injury from an HIV positive woman who refused to disclose her status. Our problem is low staffing, poor structure....
Re: Why Is Medicine Unattractive In Nigeria? by ElPhoche(m): 3:30pm On Aug 20, 2016
Dripy:
Medicine is attractive in Nigeria but the problem is lack of medical infrastructure. Even the government of the day is doing little or nothing to address the rot and decay in the health sector.
Government pays better than private hospitals but some private hospitals have better equipment which in turn makes their services more exorbitant.
Government run health facilities are understaffed and their is no effort towards maintenance of existing facilities. Old ones are not replaced and new ones are not brought in. How many dialysis machines do we have in government run health facilities in Nigeria? Even drugs and stuffs as little as handgloves are lacking in government hospitals. These things reduce the efficiency of doctors and they would rather practice in a place where all needed facilities are put in place for optimal and maximum performance.
Till we get things right, we will always have brain drain of doctors in Nigeria. This is why we have many health issues in Nigeria because the ratio of doctors to patients leaves much to be desired.
I went to a government run health facility to run some tests two weeks back: only one person was on duty; collecting money, issuing receipts, taking the sample, running the test and writing the results: tell me why errors will not be high!
Brother, you summarized it well. Imagine, we had a case brought in, of Lassa fever in the teaching hospital where I work, the man died
SonofHim:

I greet you dear colleague. You have done justice to this topic. My heart is heavy. I weep for this country.
SonofHim:

that day, a doctor even. Despite d inadequate preventive barrier dressing, my hazard allowance is pegged at 5 thousand naira. My friend had a needle prick injury from an HIV positive woman who refused to disclose her status. Our problem is low staffing, poor structure....
Re: Why Is Medicine Unattractive In Nigeria? by Dripy(m): 5:04pm On Aug 20, 2016
ElPhoche:

Brother, you summarized it well. Imagine, we had a case brought in, of Lassa fever in the teaching hospital where I work, the man died that day, a doctor even. Despite d inadequate preventive barrier dressing, my hazard allowance is pegged at 5 thousand naira. My friend had a needle prick injury from an HIV positive woman who refused to disclose her status. Our problem is low staffing, poor structure....

Pls bro be careful oooo. Your life is more important because in as much as the government pays lip service to the welfare of health workers, some patients are time bombs waiting to explode.

One love and best wishes.
Re: Why Is Medicine Unattractive In Nigeria? by numericalguy(m): 7:30pm On Aug 20, 2016
catal:
i mean the working environment not the pay. Its not like what you see in the movies. I still dream of studying and practicing abroad.

Funny kid
Re: Why Is Medicine Unattractive In Nigeria? by mikolo80: 12:19am On Aug 21, 2016
catal:
i mean the working environment not the pay.Its not like what you see in the movies.I still dream of studying and practicing abroad.
the doctors are lazy just like every other sector in the country
Re: Why Is Medicine Unattractive In Nigeria? by mikolo80: 12:23am On Aug 21, 2016
SonofHim:

keep weeping instead of fixing it
Re: Why Is Medicine Unattractive In Nigeria? by ElPhoche(m): 6:27am On Aug 21, 2016
Dripy:

Pls bro be careful oooo. Your life is more important because in as much as the government pays lip service to the welfare of health workers, some patients are time bombs waiting to explode.

One love and best wishes.
We are trying our best, bro...

1 Like

Re: Why Is Medicine Unattractive In Nigeria? by Ronaldinnioh(m): 9:15am On Aug 21, 2016
SonofHim:

Ha ha ha ha ha. Dockeeey!!! I greet you chief. You never do housejob, MO or write primaries, talkless of huzzle for space for residency (where you go know say MBBS na child's play), you don begin dey give inaugural lecture. Don't worry, let's have this discussion again in 6 years time. I wish you the very best in your academic pursuit.

The problem with house Job placement is the security issue we have in Nigeria. A lot wants to do theirs in major hospitals and developed areas in Nigeria. As some people from south west or east to go to the North. None of them will agree due to Book Haram.

Secondly you talk about residency. I see it's greed and the amout of money attached to some departments or how lucrative it will be. Many wants Surgery,medicine,pediatric and O&G. Tell them to move to Community health, IPH,...they will see it as a laughing stock or for poor doctor's. Another thing is our population is too much for such. Mind I answered based on your headline.

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Lagos Directs Civil Servants From Level 13 To Resume Monday / Towards Achieving Financial Independence! / Positive Thoughts To Help You Achieve Your Goals

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 41
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.