Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,477 members, 7,808,748 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 04:12 PM

Is Atheism The Way? I Am Searching For Answers - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Is Atheism The Way? I Am Searching For Answers (1984 Views)

Questions Begging For Answers In The Quran / Is Atheism A Belief Or Lack Of Belief / Is Atheism Really This Foolish???? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Is Atheism The Way? I Am Searching For Answers by mekkfreshboy(m): 4:43pm On Aug 15, 2016
My mind is often stimulated when I peruse through arguments and discussion threads by Atheist aimed against Theists for instance like the ones created by the founder of Nairaland Seun. As rational and plausible such arguments may sound I think the Atheists got it wrong in several ways on issues that has to do with the Divine/Supernatural. I follow the Jewish religion/tradition and while I may believe in a Divine and Eternal creator I still consider myself a bit of a rationalist. I believe that most of human problems are mechanistic and can be fixed by humans. My idea of G-d/God is on certain level different from those of the people around me ( I reside in Southern Nigeria). I am usually skeptical of paranormal activities (miracles) purported by prominent self acclaimed pastors/imams/priests in Nigeria.

There is religious and cultural diversity and systems of thinking in the world today. Atheism in itself is a product of one of those systems of thinking. There are countless Scientists who are Theists and some that are Atheist for example Albert Einstein (a Theist), and we also have materialists who were Theist and non Theists. There are Atheists called Anarchist who reject any form of authority. Atheist does not amount to intellectualism and rationalism, I have come across some learned and brilliant Atheists and Theists but there are still countless ignorant Theist and non Theism out there.

I believe that the primary aim of religion or any system of thinking is to contribute in making the world a better place for man to live and co-exist peacefully in. Any Religion or system of thought that encourages violence, extortion, crime, moral decadence etc is fraud.

There is diversity in Atheism just like we have in religion. I believe in making the world a better place and I practice religious tolerance. I love humanity and I try to do what is right and decent, my philosophy is “ what is hateful to you do not do it others”.

I believe in Intelligent Design, that there exist a reality higher and greater than oneself. I have weighed the Atheist lack of believe in a Divine Creator and found certain flaws in it. They cannot logically prove to me the non-existence of a Divine creator.

I oppose religious extremism but my QUESTION remains “Is Atheism the way forward? How exactly can lack of belief in a Divine creator add meaning to your life and make the society a better place. What exactly do Nigerian Atheists believe in?

Atheists in the House should please enlighten me. Thanks

2 Likes

Re: Is Atheism The Way? I Am Searching For Answers by veekid(m): 4:52pm On Aug 15, 2016
Happney65 please your attention is literally in need here
Re: Is Atheism The Way? I Am Searching For Answers by annunaki2(m): 5:58pm On Aug 15, 2016
@OP Albert einstein was not an atheist, he believed in 'intelligent design'.

Atheism is certainly not the way, it just doesn't make sense. Agnotism or deism could be tolerated though.

1 Like

Re: Is Atheism The Way? I Am Searching For Answers by Seun(m): 6:04pm On Aug 15, 2016
I believe in Intelligent Design, that there exist a reality higher and greater than oneself. I have weighed the Atheist lack of believe in a Divine Creator and found certain flaws in it.
It's difficult to justify intelligent design rationally. What intelligent designer creates billions of stars just so that he can create life on a single planet revolving around one of the stars? What intelligent designer creates a nerve that travels from a giraffe's brain to its chest and back to it's throat - a distance of several meters - instead of just connecting it directly? Which intelligent designer designs ugly, horrible diseases? It's difficult to justify intelligent design rationally if you know the basics of evolution and cosmology. It's absolutely hilarious, frankly.

They cannot logically prove to me the non-existence of a Divine creator.
You cannot logically prove to me the non-existence of a super-hero, yet you would consider me crazy if I told you that I met Superman last night. Atheists don't necessarily have a strong belief in the non-existence of God, just as you don't have a strong belief in the non-existence of super heroes. We just think it is illogical to believe in any God unless there is good evidence that the God in question actually exists, just as you wouldn't believe that super-heroes are real and I met one unless I presented you with some really strong evidence to support my claim.

I oppose religious extremism but my QUESTION remains “Is Atheism the way forward? How exactly can lack of belief in a Divine creator add meaning to your life and make the society a better place.
Atheism actually doesn't need to make the society a better place. I don't believe things because I think believing them will make the society better. I believe things because I have good reasons to believe that they are in fact, true. For example, I believe that the sky is blue. Because when I look at the sky, it's blue. When I take pictures of the sky, it's blue in those pictures. Whether it makes the world a better place or not is completely irrelevant to the fact that the sky is blue. I can see it, other people can see it, and it's clearly blue. End of story. Full stop.

Where the value of atheism lies is that it allows you to employ critical thinking in every area of your life. If you're religious, there are some thoughts you cannot engage in because they contradict your religious beliefs. You are constantly shielding yourself from any knowledge that contradicts the holy dogma you subscribe to. You're required to accept some highly illogical ideas because they are written in holy books. Even if rationally you know those ideas are wrong, you have to engage in disingenuous mental gymnastics to justify them. When you become an atheist, that enormous mental burden is lifted from your shoulders. Everything in your life suddenly makes perfect sense. You're free!

What I want people to embrace is not atheism per se, but reality. If most people in society are making decisions based on reality, they will make better decisions, and society will move forward collectively as a result of that. You won't have things like women dressing like ninjas under the hot desert sun; little girls fainting from the heat and still being forced to keep their ninja attires on. Children being called witches.

27 Likes 6 Shares

Re: Is Atheism The Way? I Am Searching For Answers by DeSepiero(m): 6:34pm On Aug 15, 2016
Seun:

It's difficult to justify intelligent design rationally. What intelligent designer creates billions of stars just so that he can create life on a single planet revolving around one of the stars? What intelligent designer creates a nerve that travels from a giraffe's brain to its chest and back to it's throat - a distance of several meters - instead of just connecting it directly? Which intelligent designer designs ugly, horrible diseases? It's difficult to justify intelligent design rationally if you know the basics of evolution and cosmology. It's an absolutely hilarious, frankly.

You cannot logically prove to me the non-existence of a super-hero, yet you would consider me crazy if I told you that I met Superman last night. Atheists don't necessarily have a strong belief in the non-existence of God, just as you don't have a strong belief in the non-existence of super heroes. We just think it is illogical to believe in any God unless there is good evidence that the God in question actually exists, just as you wouldn't believe that super-heroes are real and I met one unless I presented you with some really strong evidence to support my claim.

Atheism actually doesn't need to make the society a better place. I don't believe things because I think believing them will make the society better. I believe things because I have good reasons to believe that they are in fact, true. For example, I believe that the sky is blue. Because when I look at the sky, it's blue. When I take pictures of the sky, it's blue in those pictures. Whether it makes the world a better place or not is completely irrelevant to the fact that the sky is blue. I can see it, other people can see it, and it's clearly blue. End of story. Full stop.

Where the value of atheism lies is that it allows you to employ critical thinking in every area of your life. If you're religious, there are some thoughts you cannot engage in because they contradict your religious beliefs. You are constantly shielding yourself from any knowledge that contradicts the holy dogma you subscribe to. You're required to accept some highly illogical ideas because they are written in holy books. Even if rationally you know those ideas are wrong, you have to engage in disingenuous mental gymnastics to justify them. When you become an atheist, that enormous mental burden is lifted from your shoulders. Everything in your life suddenly makes perfect sense. You're free!

What I want people to embrace is not atheism per se, but reality. If most people in society are making decisions based on reality, they will make better decisions, and society will move forward collectively as a result of that. You won't have things like women dressing like ninjas under the hot desert sun; little girls fainting from the heat and still being forced to keep their ninja attires on. Children being called witches.

That's a good response Sire

2 Likes

Re: Is Atheism The Way? I Am Searching For Answers by freethinker01: 6:46pm On Aug 15, 2016
Seun:

It's difficult to justify intelligent design rationally. What intelligent designer creates billions of stars just so that he can create life on a single planet revolving around one of the stars? What intelligent designer creates a nerve that travels from a giraffe's brain to its chest and back to it's throat - a distance of several meters - instead of just connecting it directly? Which intelligent designer designs ugly, horrible diseases? It's difficult to justify intelligent design rationally if you know the basics of evolution and cosmology. It's absolutely hilarious, frankly.

1 Like

Re: Is Atheism The Way? I Am Searching For Answers by freethinker01: 6:47pm On Aug 15, 2016
Seun:

Intelligently written. Nuff said.

1 Like

Re: Is Atheism The Way? I Am Searching For Answers by Codedrock(m): 6:53pm On Aug 15, 2016
Seun:

Seun made my day with this response. This is what we need in Nigeria right now.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Is Atheism The Way? I Am Searching For Answers by annunaki2(m): 7:01pm On Aug 15, 2016
Seun:

I think you are more of an agnostic even though you claim atheism.

2 Likes

Re: Is Atheism The Way? I Am Searching For Answers by winner01(m): 7:44pm On Aug 15, 2016
mekkfreshboy:
My mind is often stimulated when I peruse through arguments and discussion threads by Atheist aimed against Theists for instance like the ones created by the founder of Nairaland Seun. As rational and plausible such arguments may sound I think the Atheists got it wrong in several ways on issues that has to do with the Divine/Supernatural. I follow the Jewish religion/tradition and while I may believe in a Divine and Eternal creator I still consider myself a bit of a rationalist. I believe that most of human problems are mechanistic and can be fixed by humans. My idea of G-d/God is on certain level different from those of the people around me ( I reside in Southern Nigeria). I am usually skeptical of paranormal activities (miracles) purported by prominent self acclaimed pastors/imams/priests in Nigeria.
It is perfectly rational to believe in the existence of an Almighty Creator. Every Single item in our world was intelkigently designed. In reality, time and chance does not create anything. Atheists got it wrong in the most basic way: "If the universe has no meaning or reason for existing, we should never have found out that it has no meaning".

mekkfreshboy:

There is religious and cultural diversity and systems of thinking in the world today. Atheism in itself is just one of those systems of thinking. There are countless Scientists who are Theists and some that are Atheist for example Albert Einstein, and we also have materialists who were Theist and non Theists. There are Atheists called Anarchist who reject any form of authority. Atheist does not amount to intellectualism and rationalism, I have come across some learned and brilliant Atheists and Theist but there are still countless ignorant Theist and non Theism out there.
Atheism is not a system of thinking, it is a "lack of belief", at least as the atheists claim. It has nothing to do with rational thinking. Theists ushered in the very rational thinking that atheists seek to be affiliated with. Rene Descateres was the first mordern rationalist, Sir Francis Bacon (the founder
of applied science) inspired the mordern scientific attitude that favours skepticism, systematic observation and verification of
claims by independent empirical observations, and many other theists. The fact that critical thinking is parroted by atheists severally does not make it so.

mekkfreshboy:

I believe that the primary aim of religion or any system of thinking is to contribute in making the world a better place for man to live and co-exist peacefully in. Any Religion or system of thought that encourages violence, extortion, crime, moral decadence etc is fraud.
Religion has almost all the moral structures all over the world built around it, it is also not a system of thinking as you put it, it is the internal realization of more permanent values. Religion can be used for anything ranginging from peace to violence, just the same way politics, entertainment etc can be used for the same purposes. It is easier to get rid of the latter than religion. Religion is a part of humanity.

mekkfreshboy:

There is diversity in Atheism just like we have in religion. I believe in making the world a better place and I practice religious tolerance. I love humanity and I try to do what is right and decent, my philosophy is “ what is hateful to you do not do it others”.
Good philisophy, it also stems from religion. The problem with atheism is the lack of basis for morality. Seun was talking about scholars who were working on ways to acheive better human relationship but failed to give reasons why people should listen to fellow humans. Not everyone wants to "live and let live", how do you handle such people?.
The power of religion can never be estimated and that is why it will continue to grow.

mekkfreshboy:

I believe in Intelligent Design, that there exist a reality higher and greater than oneself. I have weighed the Atheist lack of believe in a Divine Creator and found certain flaws in it. They cannot logically prove to me the non-existence of a Divine creator.
Intelligent Design is the default position. Everything we see in actuality is intelligently designed even when we do not know their designers. Those who blame the "flaws" in nature exhibit infinite knowledge i.e I do not know why this was created and so its a flaw. Its like doing the same thing they accuse theists for i.e I do not know how the universe got here but God must have created it. The only difference is that one position makes more sense than the other.
If i'm presented with a car engine, i may not know why it looks so dirty and oily or even the functions of certain parts, but it would be irrational to call it useless. On the other hand, If I'm presented with the same car engine, it would be irrational for me to say it came to existence by time or chance or accident or probability or fission of older metals etc.
Intelligent design is the default position, if atheists will convince the world otherwise, the must provide evidence, and it wont be some half-baked assumptions, fantasy or wild guesses backed by zero evidence.

mekkfreshboy:

I oppose religious extremism but my QUESTION remains “Is Atheism the way forward? How exactly can lack of belief in a Divine creator add meaning to your life and make the society a better place. What exactly do Nigerian Atheist believe in?
Every normal person opposes extremism. Atheism is not the way forward. Atheists themselves cannot tell you what atheism has to offer. The best they can do is to side with irreligion, science etc.
History has shown that when you believe that religion is a disease that must be cured, there are extremism tendencies. Religion is a part of humanity. To seperate man from religion, you must be willing to exterminate in democidal quantities. (you can check some of my topics for proof.) Atheists are only angry that they are minority, and their number has been predicted to even fall over the next 50 years.

mekkfreshboy:

Be careful who you call on to "enlighten" you, for a blind person may not recognize the direction of light.

10 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Is Atheism The Way? I Am Searching For Answers by FearGodAndLive: 7:52pm On Aug 15, 2016
winner01:

Be careful who you call on to "enlighten" you, for a blind person may not recognize light.
*sniggers*

1 Like

Re: Is Atheism The Way? I Am Searching For Answers by Nobody: 8:05pm On Aug 15, 2016
winner01:
It is perfectly rational to believe in the existence of an Almighty Creator. Every Single item in our world was intelkigently designed. In reality, time and chance does not create anything. Atheists got it wrong in the most basic way: "If the universe has no meaning or reason for existing, we should never have found out that it has no meaning".

Atheism is not a system of thinking, it is a "lack of belief", at least as the atheists claim. It has nothing to do with rational thinking. Theists ushered in the very rational thinking that atheists seek to be affiliated with. Rene Descateres was the first mordern rationalist, Sir Francis Bacon (the founder
of applied science) inspired the mordern scientific attitude that favours skepticism, systematic observation and verification of
claims by independent empirical observations, and many other theists. The fact that critical thinking is parroted by atheists severally does not make it so.

Religion has almost all the moral structures all over the world built around it, it is also not a system of thinking as you put it, it is the internal realization of more permanent values. Religion can be used for anything ranginging from peace to violence, just the same way politics, entertainment etc can be used for the same purposes. It is easier to get rid of the latter than religion. Religion is a part of humanity.

Good philisophy, it also stems from religion. The problem with atheism is the lack of basis for morality. Seun was talking about scholars who were working on ways to acheive better human relationship but failed to give reasons why people should listen to fellow humans. Not everyone wants to "live and let live", how do you handle such people?.
The power of religion can never be estimated and that is why it will continue to grow.

Intelligent Design is the default position. Everything we see in actuality is intelligently designed even when we do not know their designers. Those who blame the "flaws" in nature exhibit infinite knowledge i.e I do not know why this was created and so its a flaw. Its like doing the same thing they accuse theists for i.e I do not know how the universe got here but God must have created it. The only difference is that one position makes more sense than the other.
If i'm presented with a car engine, i may not know why it looks so dirty and oily or even the functions of certain parts, but it would be irrational to call it useless. On the other hand, If I'm presented with the same car engine, it would be irrational for me to say it came to existence by time or chance or accident or probability or fission of older metals etc.
Intelligent design is the default position, if atheists will convince the world otherwise, the must provide evidence, and it wont be some half-baked assumptions, fantasy or wild guesses backed by zero evidence.

Every normal person opposes extremism. Atheism is not the way forward. Atheists themselves cannot tell you what atheism has to offer. The best they can do is to side with irreligion, science etc.
History has shown that when you believe that religion is a disease that must be cured, there are extremism tendencies. Religion is a part of humanity. To seperate man from religion, you must be willing to exterminate in democidal quantities. (you can check some of my topics for proof.) Atheists are only angry that they are minority, and their number has been predicted to even fall over the next 50 years.

Be careful who you call on to "enlighten" you, for a blind person may not recognize light.

Nuff said. Nothing to add! Nothing to remove. My General I salute you.

6 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Is Atheism The Way? I Am Searching For Answers by Codedrock(m): 8:23pm On Aug 15, 2016
Seun:

@Seun and all atheist that keeps talking about the "bad design" I find it kinda undeep of you guys, you basically judge most things based on your perspective not considering the other's. That's a thing I realized I had to stop doing years ago.

That design is one of the major reasons I am still convinced there is a creator. I mean checking this out from you guys view comparing it with mine I believe most ya'll just study theories earlier atheists laid down and you guys just keep sharing and backing it, I believe many atheist barely try to criticize these theories like I have been critizing the bible since I was young(I'm always like why is this like this?, This seems wrong!) as an 8 year old I've been asking questions in church that most adults wouldn't ask and pastors will answer them but always not up to my taste (Questions like; how a man who was trying to rescue the Ark of covenant got striked to death because it was considered disrespectful, questions like how "God" cursed his own creation, and many others like the ones Seun has posted here on NL about God not being "love"wink and they always wondered how those questions come to me but the thing is i have always been inquisitive and I question everything all the time(even my personal beliefs) . I kept doing that until lately I finally gave up on being religious even though I'm still a Christian.

But thing is: let's talk about the design.

Weeks ago I saw a thread talking about the poor design of God saw the points and I was like this is dumb! Looks like the o.p culled the stuff from Wikipedia or something.
Wanted to reply but I just find it hard to start typing long like you people do I believe in face to face arguments cos it allows me to show and explain my points very well unlike typing.

So speaking of the design: my major point is; "everything is way too organized". I mean there's no way something that came to existence by chance would be that organized.
From the living things to non living things to the ocean and more.. If you think deep you will sure know all these things work together.

I mean speaking of the diseases and abnormalities in the living I believe they were all there to keep things in shape imagine a world where there is no disease no abnormalities (like I saw in that article the o.p posted, the same article I've been looking for that I can't find so as to tackle the points here) , a world with no abnormal weather or whatever it is you guys believe is a bad design. I mean a world like that may just not make sense. I mean all these things work together these things happen for other things to happen. That's just the point.

And Seun concerning your recent post about stars and all that bro this is your first post I kinda find shallow. I mean if you tend to agree there is a creator well his design shouldn't really be questioned by you, should it? why? Cos you don't know how he thinks you don't what he planned, in as much the design is working out like he planned, well, how it was designed and how it should be designed should matter less.

I mean It's just like questioning Kanye West about his crazy fashion designs. He is the designer and he made it for a purpose for people to be able to use them and in as much as people can use them and they are using them the rest really doesn't matter.

A lot I wanna express but ummm.. The writing is just the problem.

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: Is Atheism The Way? I Am Searching For Answers by winner01(m): 8:27pm On Aug 15, 2016
Seun:

I believe that saying "I dont know" is far better than calling things you dont understand needless.

Look what Stephen Hawkin said: "Many people do not like the idea that time has a beginning, probably because it smacks of divine intervention. "

If time had a beginning, then whatever brought time into existence is timeless (eternal). No beginning, no end. It actually might be divine intervention, and if it is, then it changes everything.

Seun:

You missed it. Atheism is lack of belief in the existence of God or gods. You addition of "until evidence is provided" suits agnosticism than atheism. If you lack a belief in something ordinarily you should move on with your life. But if you will propose this position to people, then be ready to give the sort of evidence you request from theists. Especially considering the fact that "Belief in a form of Creator" is the default position.

Seun:

This is wrong. You are what you believe and there are consequences for many of what we believe. A belief in God gives the vast majority of people values, morals, purposes etc. What you dont understand is that a belief or disbelief in God means everything to everyone. Maybe you think you can tell people what to do or what not to do, i'm at loss on why you think people should listen to what other people tell them to do. If everyone will do what they wanna do with the few years they have in existence, then you havent seen chaos. Believe it or not, some people want to shoot randomly in a mall or crack peoples heads open for fun, and why shouldnt they? Because its wrong? Says who? Seun Osewa?

Trust me, its unreasonable for you to stop people from doing what they want if the universe cares nothing about what you do or dont do.
Belief in an All seeing Judge is not a trivial issue my brother.

Seun:

Where the value of atheism lies is that it allows you to employ critical thinking in every area of your life. If you're religious, there are some thoughts you cannot engage in because they contradict your religious beliefs. You are constantly shielding yourself from any knowledge that contradicts the holy dogma you subscribe to. You're required to accept some highly illogical ideas because they are written in holy books. Even if rationally you know those ideas are wrong, you have to engage in disingenuous mental gymnastics to justify them. When you become an atheist, that enormous mental burden is lifted from your shoulders. Everything in your life suddenly makes perfect sense. You're free!.
Just what are the thoughts you cant engage in as a religious person?

How about people who religion has liberated from social vices?

And you speak of illogical ideas? The foundation of anything is important. People will continue to believe in these so called "illogical" till you can provide a "logical" and coherent origin and reason for their existence.

Seun:

Reality has continued to prove that every item we see is intelligently designed, the same way you intelligently designed nairaland.
Reality has proved that life is not merely physical or material, otherwise we would have been able to resolve the problem of death physically.
Reality has continued to prove that humans are naturally configured to "believe".
Reality is a strong word bro, i do not think it means what I think you mean.

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Is Atheism The Way? I Am Searching For Answers by 4kings: 8:41pm On Aug 15, 2016
Seun:

It's difficult to justify intelligent design rationally.
Yes, and that's because rationality is only effective when there is information or observation of the subject.

What intelligent designer creates billions of stars just so that he can create life on a single planet revolving around one of the stars?
We can guess the purpose of a person or an organization by the activities we've observed (because it can't be completely strange to us), how much more the purpose of a being(if it exist), that is totally foreign from all of humanity.

What intelligent designer creates a nerve that travels from a giraffe's brain to its chest and back to it's throat - a distance of several meters - instead of just connecting it directly? Which intelligent designer designs ugly, horrible diseases? It's difficult to justify intelligent design rationally if you know the basics of evolution and cosmology. It's absolutely hilarious, frankly.
This still doesn't rule out the possibility of a Creator.
Even as a 3d designer, I need the "tool" of a render engine to make my idea come alive. So who is to say that evolution and other scientific findings are not the "tools" the Creator(if true) used to make the universe.

You cannot logically prove to me the non-existence of a super-hero, yet you would consider me crazy if I told you that I met Superman last night. Atheists don't necessarily have a strong belief in the non-existence of God, just as you don't have a strong belief in the non-existence of super heroes.
An allegory: A group of guys in the primeval era, just experienced rainfall, everyone is surprised as they can't comprehend what happened. So everyone comes up with different hypotheses based on the "Limited" information they have as to what caused the rainfall. We all know that their different hypotheses would be wrong because we are now more informed and their knowledge is still "Limited".
So like I said before, rationality is only effective when there is some form knowledge of the subject. We don't have any knowledge to prove or disprove the existence of a Creator, so Agnosticism or Deism would be very appropriate, not Absolute Atheism(or u would be equated to the primeval guys in the story [no offence!!]).

We just think it is illogical to believe in any God unless there is good evidence that the God in question actually exists, just as you wouldn't believe that super-heroes are real and I met one unless I presented you with some really strong evidence to support my claim.
Consciousness and Intelligence we and all creatures have should serve as a rationale for the possibility of a Designer(whether alive or not) not a Mistake in Cosmos.

Seun I can agree with the rest of your points, but Absolute Atheism is arrogant and Agnosticism/Deism is only rational. - my opinion.

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Is Atheism The Way? I Am Searching For Answers by KingEbukasBlog(m): 9:00pm On Aug 15, 2016
The best responses are from winner01 and 4kings . I still don't get why uncle s.eun likes involving himself in these arguments . His "points EASILY get refuted . Its so easy that I just want to see his response so we would intellectually destroy them . cool. And he keeps saying the same things all over again , so it gets easier every damn time cheesy.

@OP You can only find answers with Christ . Atheism is false and hopeless . Check out winner01 's threads for evidence

Peace .

7 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Is Atheism The Way? I Am Searching For Answers by honourhim: 9:18pm On Aug 15, 2016
mekkfreshboy:

There is religious and cultural diversity and systems of thinking in the world today. Atheism in itself is just one of those systems of thinking. There are countless Scientists who are Theists and some that are Atheist for example Albert Einstein, and we also have materialists who were Theist and non Theists. There are Atheists called Anarchist who reject any form of authority. Atheist does not amount to intellectualism and rationalism, I have come across some learned and brilliant Atheists and Theist but there are still countless ignorant Theist and non Theism out there.

I oppose religious extremism but my QUESTION remains “Is Atheism the way forward? How exactly can lack of belief in a Divine creator add meaning to your life and make the society a better place. What exactly do Nigerian Atheist believe in?

From what you described about yourself it is obvious that you are completely on a different platform from the atheists. I therefore advice you to avoid them like one willl avoid leprousy. While your ideology is to better humanity, theirs is unbelief in God. Even if humanity is in a deep shit and dont believe in God they will be happy for it. Seun's reply is a clear indication. As you can see, a lot of them are in support of his reply.
Re: Is Atheism The Way? I Am Searching For Answers by winner01(m): 9:22pm On Aug 15, 2016
4everGod:

Nuff said. Nothing to add! Nothing to remove. My General I salute you.
Thanks my fellow General. God bless you. cheesy

1 Like

Re: Is Atheism The Way? I Am Searching For Answers by honourhim: 9:29pm On Aug 15, 2016
4kings:

Yes, and that's because rationality is only effective when there is information or observation of the subject.

We can guess the purpose of a person or an organization by the activities we've observed (because it can't be completely strange to us), how much more the purpose of a being(if it exist), that is totally foreign from all of humanity.

This still doesn't rule out the possibility of a Creator.
Even as a 3d designer, I need the "tool" of a render engine to make my idea come alive. So who is to say that evolution and other scientific findings are not the "tools" the Creator(if true) used to make the universe.

An allegory: A group of guys in the primeval era, just experienced rainfall, everyone is surprised as they can't comprehend what happened. So everyone comes up with different hypotheses based on the "Limited" information they have as to what caused the rainfall. We all know that their different hypotheses would be wrong because we are now more informed and their knowledge is still "Limited".
So like I said before, rationality is only effective when there is some form knowledge of the subject. We don't have any knowledge to prove or disprove the existence of a Creator, so Agnosticism or Deism would be very appropriate, not Absolute Atheism(or u would be equated to the primeval guys in the story [no offence!!]).

Consciousness and Intelligence we and all creatures have should serve as a rationale for the possibility of a Designer(whether alive or not) not a Mistake in Cosmos.

Seun I can agree with the rest of your points, but Absolute Atheism is arrogant and Agnosticism/Deism is only rational. - my opinion.

Excellently presented. Remain blessed.

2 Likes

Re: Is Atheism The Way? I Am Searching For Answers by winner01(m): 9:29pm On Aug 15, 2016
KingEbukasBlog:
The best responses are from winner01 and 4kings . I still don't get why uncle s.eun likes involving himself in these arguments . His "points EASILY get refuted . Its so easy that I just want to see his response so we would intellectually destroy them . cool. And he keeps saying the same things all over again , so it gets easier every damn time cheesy.

@OP You can only find answers with Christ . Atheism is false and hopeless . Check out winner01 's threads for evidence

Peace .
lol.
Atheist and hopelessness are synonymous. lol.
Thanks Bro.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Is Atheism The Way? I Am Searching For Answers by HCpaul(m): 10:00pm On Aug 15, 2016
Seun:

Wow! This is precise and accurate.

It is informative.

1 Like

Re: Is Atheism The Way? I Am Searching For Answers by CAPSLOCKED: 11:32pm On Aug 15, 2016
"What I want people to embrace is not atheism per se, but reality. If most people in society are making decisions based on reality, they will make better decisions, and society will move forward collectively as a result of that. You won't have things like women dressing like ninjas under the hot desert sun; little girls fainting from the heat and still being forced to keep their ninja attires on. Children being called witches."
-seun

3 Likes

Re: Is Atheism The Way? I Am Searching For Answers by KazukiIto(m): 12:25am On Aug 16, 2016
Nigerians sef. The answer is staring at you in the face. The problem is our religious structures. Fight the power! Fight the pastors! Fight fake and irrational teachings!! God exists. Let everyone be enlightened...

1 Like

Re: Is Atheism The Way? I Am Searching For Answers by mekkfreshboy(m): 12:38am On Aug 16, 2016
annunaki2:
@OP Albert einstein was not an atheist, he believed in 'intelligent design'.

Atheism is certainly not the way, it just doesn't make sense. Agnotism or deism could be tolerated though.

Thanks . I meant that Einstein was a Theist. (He was Jewish). I wonder if Mr Seun employs more rational and critical thinking than Albsert Einstein who despite been a renown Physicist also believed in Intelligent Design.

2 Likes

Re: Is Atheism The Way? I Am Searching For Answers by Nobody: 12:41am On Aug 16, 2016
Nigerians sef. The answer is staring at you in the face. The problem is our religious structures. Fight the power! Fight the pastors! Fight fake and irrational teachings!! God exists. Let everyone be enlightened...

Young man how old are you?
Re: Is Atheism The Way? I Am Searching For Answers by KazukiIto(m): 1:16am On Aug 16, 2016
4everGod:

Young man how old are you?
Old enough to be called a man.
Re: Is Atheism The Way? I Am Searching For Answers by mekkfreshboy(m): 1:29am On Aug 16, 2016
Seun:

I am familiar with the basics of EVOLUTION and Cosmology and the FACT is that you can not logically prove beyond reasonable doubt that the universe happened by chance neither can you provide proof to support your claim on the non existence of a Divine creator.

Atheism does not always mean rationality and critical thinking, I have read threads on Nairaland where professed Atheists believed that some figures mentioned in the Hebrew Scriptures were aliens from another planets and all sort of gibberish.

And just like Winner01 said "Theists ushered in the very rational thinking that atheists seek to be affiliated with". My religious traditions does not in any way hinder me from been rational, critical and analytical on life decisions that I make which are in basis with reality. I am as much as objective and logical minded as you are, but where we path ways is that I believe in Intelligent Design and in a Divine creator, My idea of an Eternal creator might be different from most people's concept of God. I am not superstitious, I dont believe in magics.

I am aware that there are a lot of gullibility in this part of the world. Most Black Africans are not enlightened hence Religious Houses here exploits their ignorance for their own selfish gains. Politicians exploits our ignorance as well because majority of us are not enlightened.

Enlightenment is what I feel Nigerians need and not Atheism. I hope you do have respect for traditional institutions. Religion is a very personal thing. Atheism is diverse, I do not know which group in Atheism you fall into. And I see nothing wrong in a Woman who wears hijab, She has the right to do so if that is part of her religious obligations, It is better than a woman walking about scanty dressed. Personally I dont eat Pork.
Science has little to do with morality but Religion addresses the issues of morality.

I follow your threads and read most of your write up. Do you really want a society where sexual promiscuity are promoted? where girls are free to walk about dressed half dressed?

We need ENLIGHTENMENT OF THE MIND.

2 Likes

Re: Is Atheism The Way? I Am Searching For Answers by Seun(m): 7:57am On Aug 16, 2016
mekkfreshboy:
Thanks . I meant that Einstein was a Theist. (He was Jewish). I wonder if Mr Seun employs more rational and critical thinking than Albsert Einstein who despite been a renown Physicist also believed in Intelligent Design.

Einstein's response to the claim that he believes in God:
It was, of course, a lie what you read about my religious convictions, a lie which is being systematically repeated. I do not believe in a personal God and I have never denied this but have expressed it clearly. If something is in me which can be called religious then it is the unbounded admiration for the structure of the world so far as our science can reveal it.
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Religious_views_of_Albert_Einstein

6 Likes 5 Shares

Re: Is Atheism The Way? I Am Searching For Answers by Nobody: 8:34am On Aug 16, 2016
mekkfreshboy what do u want brother,do u want a life whereby you will take full responsibility for your life if that is it, then you are on the part of atheism or freedom of religion ,its your choice and choose wisely know the consequences of your actions and move on with life ,all i will say is i won't choose for you but i hope you make a decision that will affect your generations yet unborn positively.
and if you ever choose atheism or freedom from religion get a copy of Ralph waldo Emerson book titled ''self reliance''

1 Like

Re: Is Atheism The Way? I Am Searching For Answers by KingEbukasBlog(m): 9:06am On Aug 16, 2016
mekkfreshboy:
for example Albert Einstein (a Theist),

Albert Einstein was a deist . He rejected the idea of a personal god which is a religious concept but admitted to the existence of a supernatural being or creator . Read up deism , some scientists are deists .

2 Likes

Re: Is Atheism The Way? I Am Searching For Answers by Nobody: 9:10am On Aug 16, 2016
mekkfreshboy:

I am familiar with the basics of EVOLUTION and Cosmology and the FACT is that you can not logically prove beyond reasonable doubt that the universe happened by chance neither can you provide proof to support your claim on the non existence of a Divine creator.

Atheism does not always mean rationality and critical thinking, I have read threads on Nairaland where professed Atheists believed that some figures mentioned in the Hebrew Scriptures were aliens from another planets and all sort of gibberish.

And just like Winner01 said "Theists ushered in the very rational thinking that atheists seek to be affiliated with". My religious traditions does not in any way hinder me from been rational, critical and analytical on life decisions that I make which are in basis with reality. I am as much as objective and logical minded as you are, but where we path ways is that I believe in Intelligent Design and in a Divine creator, My idea of an Eternal creator might be different from most people's concept of God. I am not superstitious, I dont believe in magics.

I am aware that there are a lot of gullibility in this part of the world. Most Black Africans are not enlightened hence Religious Houses here exploits their ignorance for their own selfish gains. Politicians exploits our ignorance as well because majority of us are not enlightened.

Enlightenment is what I feel Nigerians need and not Atheism. I hope you do have respect for traditional institutions. Religion is a very personal thing. Atheism is diverse, I do not know which group in Atheism you fall into. And I see nothing wrong in a Woman who wears hijab, She has the right to do so if that is part of her religious obligations, It is better than a woman walking about scanty dressed. Personally I dont eat Pork.
Science has little to do with morality but Religion addresses the issues of morality.

I follow your threads and read most of your write up. Do you really want a society where sexual promiscuity are promoted? where girls are free to walk about dressed half dressed?

We need ENLIGHTENMENT OF THE MIND.
religion has never been personal my brother don't make that mistake neither is atheism personal instead there are two disciplines of humanity that should be criticized and subject to massive scrutiny for the benefits of mankind because both of them have a very powerful influence on MAN

(1) (2) (Reply)

"How Islam Creates Psychopaths" / God Is Not Sangiri Lagiri, It’s An Attribute Of Sango / Despise Not The Days Of Little Beginning. Bishop Oyedapo And His Family

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 216
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.