Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,143,328 members, 7,780,815 topics. Date: Thursday, 28 March 2024 at 11:11 PM

1976 Coup: I Was Persuaded To Take Over After Murtala’s Death – Obasanjo - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / 1976 Coup: I Was Persuaded To Take Over After Murtala’s Death – Obasanjo (15577 Views)

I Was Persuaded To Buy Items Looted From Jonathan's House - Trader / Obasanjo Swearing In Buhari As Petroleum Minister In 1976 (Throwback Photo) / Why Was There No Pogroms After Murtala's Murder By Dimka? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

1976 Coup: I Was Persuaded To Take Over After Murtala’s Death – Obasanjo by sarrki(m): 4:22am On Aug 16, 2016
ABEOKUTA—Former President Olusegun Obasanjo said, yesterday, that he was persuaded to take over as Head of State, shortly after General Murtala Ramat Muhammed was killed in the 1976 coup.

The then Head of State, Gen Muhammed, along with his aide-de-camp, ADC (Lt. Akinsehinwa), orderly and driver were assassinated on February 13, 1976 while on his way to work in a black Mercedes Benz car.

Obasanjo said he, as the then Chief of Staff of Supreme Headquarters and the late Muhammed had worked for the peace of the country before the Lt. Col. Buka Dimka struck in the bloody coup.

While reflecting on the coup, Obasanjo declared that Nigerians had thought that the bloody coup would end the nation called Nigeria.

The former President said this when he played host to the cast and crew of the yet to be released film, “1976” at the Olusegun Obasanjo Presidential Library, OOPL, Abeokuta.

According to him, there were misconceptions about the coup, which upturned the political situation at that time.

He explained that the misconception stemmed from the fact that most of those involved in the coup were Christians and for killing the Head of State, who was a Muslim, it was seen as a bad signal for the nation.

He said: “The killing of a Muslim on a Friday by a gang thought to be Christians, particularly, when we remembered the first coup, which upturned the political situation gave a bad signal.

Obasanjo, however, described the film, which abridged parts were shown as “a mixture sweet and sorrow will make us to remember ourselves not to go back to the dark days, which put us in go-no-go situation.”

Commending the team for the production, he said, “we can have more of this, as there are more national issues that can be portrayed. We are capable of the best and that is what this film has shown that.”

The Executive Producer of the film, Tonye Princewill said the cast and crew of “1976” was on tour of the country to seek support and endorsement for the film, billed to premier in November.

Princewill said the visit to Obasanjo was important, “considering his position at that time in the country, we deem it fit to come and show him the film and curry his endorsement, which as you can see we had gotten.”

http://www.vanguardngr.com/2016/08/1976-coup-declined-taking-murtalas-death-obasanjo/

2 Likes

Re: 1976 Coup: I Was Persuaded To Take Over After Murtala’s Death – Obasanjo by ANBAKO: 4:24am On Aug 16, 2016
Great development.....Movies has always been a way to reflect on the past and tell our history.

Hopefully, our people will have the opportunity to know part of the history of Nigeria.

Modified

I think OBJ was timid.
He was afraid that what happened in 1966 might repeat itself in 1976!!!

Do good for good to come your way!!!

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: 1976 Coup: I Was Persuaded To Take Over After Murtala’s Death – Obasanjo by mensdept: 4:26am On Aug 16, 2016
Nonsense. He will be remembered as one of dozens of African leaders that did nothing but promote the interest of former colonial rulers

17 Likes 3 Shares

Re: 1976 Coup: I Was Persuaded To Take Over After Murtala’s Death – Obasanjo by Flyingngel(m): 4:51am On Aug 16, 2016
OBJ tried as a Military President, but coming back as a democratically elected one, he was a disaster.

6 Likes

Re: 1976 Coup: I Was Persuaded To Take Over After Murtala’s Death – Obasanjo by Nobody: 4:53am On Aug 16, 2016
smiley
Re: 1976 Coup: I Was Persuaded To Take Over After Murtala’s Death – Obasanjo by kossyablaze(m): 6:04am On Aug 16, 2016
ANBAKO:
Great development.....Movies has always been a way to reflect on the past and tell our history.

Hopefully, our people will have the opportunity to know part of the history of Nigeria.

Modified

I think OBJ was timid.

Exactly my tots. He was just afraid. Dat man dey cunny

7 Likes

Re: 1976 Coup: I Was Persuaded To Take Over After Murtala’s Death – Obasanjo by ManMountain(m): 6:10am On Aug 16, 2016
We need a movie for Jan 1966.

5 Likes

Re: 1976 Coup: I Was Persuaded To Take Over After Murtala’s Death – Obasanjo by ManMountain(m): 6:14am On Aug 16, 2016
ANBAKO:

Modified

I think OBJ was timid.

He was not timid, he was cautious and he took his time, the same and exact reason the person that organized and crushed that particular rebellion, TY Danjuma (COAS) didn't take over - religion . A gang of Christians murdered the head of state who happened to be a Muslim on a Friday. OBJ should have ordinarily pick TY as the Chief of Staff, but they had to jump over the heads of so many Christians to fetched Sheu Ya'rdua to assuage the feelings of the Muslims.
They all learnt a lesson from the 1966 coup, that people would read meaning into any coup if the successor is connected to the plotters one way or the other.

25 Likes

Re: 1976 Coup: I Was Persuaded To Take Over After Murtala’s Death – Obasanjo by ManMountain(m): 6:19am On Aug 16, 2016
kossyablaze:

To survive in the NA then, you must be one of the wisest human in the world. It was an army full of so much mistrust, disloyalty and betrayal.
Ask Sardauna, ask Brg Maimalari and Ademulegun.
The July 66 and Jan 67 coups created a whole lot of problems in the army and Nigeria

8 Likes 1 Share

Re: 1976 Coup: I Was Persuaded To Take Over After Murtala’s Death – Obasanjo by chukslawrence(m): 6:20am On Aug 16, 2016
Ok
Re: 1976 Coup: I Was Persuaded To Take Over After Murtala’s Death – Obasanjo by Histrings08(m): 6:20am On Aug 16, 2016
Tori
Re: 1976 Coup: I Was Persuaded To Take Over After Murtala’s Death – Obasanjo by KnowAll(m): 6:35am On Aug 16, 2016
Yardual was a Brigadier then while most d other officers like OBJ were Lt General. It is extraordinary for a Brigadier to become d no 2 man but then precautions had to be taken.

3 Likes

Re: 1976 Coup: I Was Persuaded To Take Over After Murtala’s Death – Obasanjo by opey25(m): 6:51am On Aug 16, 2016
KnowAll:
Yardual was a Brigadier then while most d other officers like OBJ were Lt General. It is extraordinary for a Brigadier to become d no 2 man but then precautions had to be taken.
Yaradua was a Lt Col then.

2 Likes

Re: 1976 Coup: I Was Persuaded To Take Over After Murtala’s Death – Obasanjo by iokpebholo: 7:19am On Aug 16, 2016
Obj say d gospel truth,where u not scared? Coward
Re: 1976 Coup: I Was Persuaded To Take Over After Murtala’s Death – Obasanjo by Lifestone(m): 7:21am On Aug 16, 2016
Obasanjo is always an opportunist, a vulture who most time eat off the efforts of others while he himself does little or nothing.
History is there to confirm this, he ate off Benjamin Adekunle during the civil war and ended up signing the defeat warrant of Biafra, he didn't plan coup in 1976 but became the Head of State while those who planned the coup were killed, he was in the prison when the foundation of PDP was laid and today he got the best of the party.
Maybe that's why he is called "Ebora Owu"

7 Likes

Re: 1976 Coup: I Was Persuaded To Take Over After Murtala’s Death – Obasanjo by attackgat: 7:24am On Aug 16, 2016
KnowAll:

Yaradua was not even a Brigadier then, he was just a Lt Colonel. It was after the coup that he was given double promotion and made a Brigadier to please the North.

3 Likes

Re: 1976 Coup: I Was Persuaded To Take Over After Murtala’s Death – Obasanjo by shukuokukobambi: 7:33am On Aug 16, 2016
iokpebholo:
Obj say d gospel truth,where u not scared? Coward

cheesy cheesy

the way you nonentities hiding behind your chinko phones in your 2 by 2 dingy rooms at mazamaza scream cowards is so laughable cheesy

Oya ebubedike, tell us what brave thing have you done since you accidentally appeared in this world? cheesy

27 Likes 2 Shares

Re: 1976 Coup: I Was Persuaded To Take Over After Murtala’s Death – Obasanjo by shukuokukobambi: 7:35am On Aug 16, 2016
kossyablaze:

You wanted him to be stupid like aguiyi Ironsi who acted like he expected the northern officers to be grateful to him for Ifeajuna and Nzeogwu killing their political leaders?

Will you condemn ojukwu for being afraid and running away when he knew how he'll be dealt with if he was caught?

24 Likes 2 Shares

Re: 1976 Coup: I Was Persuaded To Take Over After Murtala’s Death – Obasanjo by sarrki(m): 7:35am On Aug 16, 2016
shukuokukobambi:

cheesy cheesy

the way you nonentities hiding behind your chinko phones in your 2 by 2 dingy rooms at mazamaza scream cowards is so laughable cheesy

Oya ebubedike, tell us what brave thing have you done since you accidentally appeared in this world? cheesy
spot on!!!

5 Likes

Re: 1976 Coup: I Was Persuaded To Take Over After Murtala’s Death – Obasanjo by shukuokukobambi: 7:36am On Aug 16, 2016
Flyingngel:
OBJ tried as a Military President, but coming back as a democratically elected one, he was a disaster.

He's the best leader we've had since 1999

19 Likes

Re: 1976 Coup: I Was Persuaded To Take Over After Murtala’s Death – Obasanjo by kossyablaze(m): 7:49am On Aug 16, 2016
shukuokukobambi:

You wanted him to be stupid like aguiyi Ironsi who acted like he expected the northern officers to be grateful to him for Ifeajuna and Nzeogwu killing their political leaders?

Will you condemn ojukwu for being afraid and running away when he knew how he'll be dealt with if he was caught?
padi mi all join... If he was igbo, I would say same. I'm not like u lots dat litter here with tribal comments

2 Likes

Re: 1976 Coup: I Was Persuaded To Take Over After Murtala’s Death – Obasanjo by aventura: 7:52am On Aug 16, 2016
That was when they realized that the 66' coup wasn't an igbo coup but a military one. Normally Danjuma as a northerner was earmarked for CnC but the perpetrators were from his state the old plateau state, so it would bear striking resemblance to the 66' events. Of the 31 people executed 30 were from Plateau so it was a wise the for Danjuma to decline the offer.

As for Obj, forget that man; he said his delay was caused by a junior officer who wanted a name for his child, well I believe he was informed by the US ambassador of the coup and was probably hiding in the embassy.

Murtala was never a fan of the west right through his days as communication minister in a time when mobutu and co were pro west. In fact it was actually a sin to be non aligned as testament to the fate of Patrice Mulumbu. So he was killed 10 days after the new CIA chief George Bush took over office who would l ter become US president.

It's no surprise that obasanjo upturned every Nigeria institution to reflect American system and even had Jimmy Carter visiting a military regime in africa something seen as a taboo in Washington.

Forget Obj that man story no be here.....

9 Likes

Re: 1976 Coup: I Was Persuaded To Take Over After Murtala’s Death – Obasanjo by shukuokukobambi: 7:55am On Aug 16, 2016
kossyablaze:
padi mi all join... If he was igbo, I would say same. I'm not like u lots dat litter here with tribal comments

Thank you very much. Oya prove me wrong.

Was ojukwu a coward or not for running away after leading 3 million kinsmen to their deaths?

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: 1976 Coup: I Was Persuaded To Take Over After Murtala’s Death – Obasanjo by Chiefpriest1(m): 7:59am On Aug 16, 2016
Obasanjo's life can be characterized in three words... The good, the bad, the ugly [b][/b]

He portrays the picture of a Messiah sometimes, then does the very opposite.

Okay, they are already here... Tribalists and ethnic jingoists who only see things from the prism of Igbo, Hausa and Yoruba.

Lalasticlala, come and see what you can do with these children of anger this morning.

3 Likes

Re: 1976 Coup: I Was Persuaded To Take Over After Murtala’s Death – Obasanjo by shukuokukobambi: 8:01am On Aug 16, 2016
aventura:
That was when they realized that the 66' coup wasn't an igbo coup but a military one. Normally Danjuma as a northerner was earmarked for CnC but the perpetrators were from his state the old plateau state, so it would bear striking resemblance to the 66' events. Of the 31 people executed 30 were from Plateau so it was a wise the for Danjuma to decline the offer.

As for Obj, forget that man; he said his delay was caused by a junior officer who wanted a name for his child, well I believe he was informed by the US ambassador of the coup and was probably hiding in the embassy.

Murtala was never a fan of the west right through his days as communication minister in a time when mobutu and co were pro west. In fact it was actually a sin to be non aligned as testament to the fate of Patrice Mulumbu. So he was killed 10 days after the new CIA chief George Bush took over office who would l ter become US president.

It's no surprise that obasanjo upturned every Nigeria institution to reflect American system and even had Jimmy Carter visiting a military regime in africa something seen as a taboo in Washington.

Forget Obj that man story no be here.....

This your story might actually have merits even though i see it as another conspiracy theory.

OBJ is indeed a very shrewd man. A master strategist

5 Likes

Re: 1976 Coup: I Was Persuaded To Take Over After Murtala’s Death – Obasanjo by aariwa(m): 8:03am On Aug 16, 2016
Obasanjo is a fox.Every northern politician or commoner believe in Ahmadu Bello's creed of '...one north whether christian or muslim...'.We saw how they voted during the last elections.If the northerners were happy with Gowon a christian northerner presiding over their affairs for nine years why would they feel differently about Dimka's presidency.The truth is that they were afraid of a southern christian taking over power for the first time in nigeria

1 Like

Re: 1976 Coup: I Was Persuaded To Take Over After Murtala’s Death – Obasanjo by Flyingngel(m): 8:10am On Aug 16, 2016
[quote author=shukuokukobambi post=48520717]

He's the best leader we've had since 1999.

He would have been though he tried,but don't forget he help to entrench corruption even in National Assembly. Even till today people that we privy abt the sharing of money in support for third term are still talking abt it example is Ghali Na Abba who was there. Obj had everything to fight corruption to the lowest of all time but he was busy using EFCC to fight perceived enemies.

Do u knw that Ibori and Alamesiagha wouldn't have been in prison if not for being a staunch supporter of Atiku and were also with a Strong financial war chest so OBJ set them up because he knew if he can get especially Ibori then Atiku will b weaken. Even till today Ibori is d god father of Delta politics. He still decides who occupies d state as Governor and other sensitive post.

1 Like

Re: 1976 Coup: I Was Persuaded To Take Over After Murtala’s Death – Obasanjo by shukuokukobambi: 8:16am On Aug 16, 2016
Flyingngel:

He would have been though he tried,but don't forget he help to entrench corruption even in National Assembly. Even till today people that we privy abt the sharing of money in support for third term are still talking abt it example is Ghali Na Abba who was there. Obj had everything to fight corruption to the lowest of all time but he was busy using EFCC to fight perceived enemies.

Do u knw that Ibori and Alamesiagha wouldn't have been in prison if not for being a staunch supporter of Atiku and were also with a Strong financial war chest so OBJ set them up because he knew if he can get especially Ibori then Atiku will b weaken. Even till today Ibori is d god father of Delta politics. He still decides who occupies d state as Governor and other sensitive post.

Sadly, i have to agree with you.

However, one thing i've learnt with this Buhari govt is that no human can fight corruption in Nigeria because if you kill corruption, you'll kill Nigeria.

Corruption is the blood that sustains this fvcking country. until this country breaks or goes back to the regions, we will not eliminate corruption.

8 Likes

Re: 1976 Coup: I Was Persuaded To Take Over After Murtala’s Death – Obasanjo by kossyablaze(m): 8:27am On Aug 16, 2016
shukuokukobambi:

Thank you very much. Oya prove me wrong.

Was ojukwu a coward or not for running away after leading 3 million kinsmen to their deaths?
Create a thread for dat... And I would reply u accordingly. This thread is for Obasanjo.... U r derailing it

1 Like

Re: 1976 Coup: I Was Persuaded To Take Over After Murtala’s Death – Obasanjo by Flyingngel(m): 8:27am On Aug 16, 2016
[quote author=shukuokukobambi post=48521842]

Sadly, i have to agree with you.

However, one thing i've learnt with this Buhari govt is that no human can fight corruption in Nigeria because if you kill corruption, you'll kill Nigeria.

Corruption is the blood that sustains this fvcking country. until this country breaks or goes back to the regions, we will not eliminate corruption.

Hahahaha, i agree with u. The first step of fighting corruption in Nigeria is making any elected offices less attractive. Both d National Assembly and State own shld b on part time basis, believe me u will see a drastic drop from people fighting for it.

Above all NigerIan need a leader with a will power who can even fight his own blood if found wanting in d corruption arena.

2 Likes

Re: 1976 Coup: I Was Persuaded To Take Over After Murtala’s Death – Obasanjo by aventura: 8:29am On Aug 16, 2016
shukuokukobambi:

This your story might actually have merits even though i see it as another conspiracy theory.

OBJ is indeed a very shrewd man. A master strategist
the only thing in that post that isn't "factually" correct is the whereabouts of obj during the heat of the moment. We may take his word for it but let's be reminded that the US ambassador contacted the then IG of police MD yusufu and offered him sanctuary at the embassy which he refused. So you can imagine he had knowlegde of a situation that the service chiefs were oblivious of. But every other thing on my initial post can be verified if you do a little research. You may get some help if you goggle "family jewels" code name of declassified CIA memo spanning some decades.
How do you reconcile the fact that Obj went from being an unaligned soldier in the mould of his boss to becoming the biggest western influence in sub saharan africa even displacing mobutu. Mobutu in his alliance couldn't even get a sitting US president visit congo but Obj did as a military man. Does it not tell you something?

Lest I forget, do you know Murtala sins and why he had to go?
You see, the all powerful Henry Kissinger who doubled as NSA and Secretary of state had proposed a visit to Nigeria for may 1976 to a ruler who they had prior knowlegde of his stance on the cold war to discuss american interest; you can only guess what murtala did, he cancelled the visit. It was a slap on their faces that was when it was decided that he had to go and just like in the case of buhari they shopped for a replacement who was in the corridors of power. And in Obj they found the willing accomplice.

Forgive my typos......

6 Likes

Re: 1976 Coup: I Was Persuaded To Take Over After Murtala’s Death – Obasanjo by shukuokukobambi: 8:32am On Aug 16, 2016
aventura:
the only thing in that post that isn't "factually" correct is the whereabouts of obj during the heat of the moment. We may take his word for it but let's be reminded that the US ambassador contacted the then IG of police MD yusufu and offered him sanctuary at the embassy which he refused. So you can imagine he had knowlegde of a situation that the service chiefs were oblivious of. But every other thing on my initial post can be verified if you do a little research. You may get some help if you goggle "family jewels" code name of declassified CIA memo spanning some decades.
How do you reconcile the fact that Obj went from being an unaligned soldier in the mould of his boss to becoming the biggest western influence in sub saharan africa even displacing mobutu. Mobutu in his alliance couldn't even get a sitting US president visit congo but Obj did as a military man. Does it not tell you something?

Lest I forget, do you know Murtala sins and why he had to go?
You see, the all powerful Henry Kissinger who doubled as NSA and Secretary of state had proposed a visit to Nigeria for may 1976 to a ruler who they had prior knowlegde of his stance on the cold war to discuss american interest; you can only guess what murtala did, he cancelled the visit. It was a slap on their faces that was when it was decided that he had to go and just like in the case of buhari they shopped for a replacement who was in the corridors of power. And in Obj they found the willing accomplice.

Forgive my typos......

I've actually read things like you wrote here a long time ago and was shocked when i read about the offer from the US ambassador to the police IG. It meant the man knew something obviously. Something wasn't right about that coup for sure.

But what if OBJ was just lucky? i'm not putting anything beyond that old fox though grin

3 Likes 1 Share

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

I ’ll Contest 2019 Senatorial Election Under PRP Party – Shehu Sani / Waziri Bulama Declares Giadom NEC Meeting Illegal / 2023: Yahaya Adoza Bello And The Others

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 70
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.