Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,143,304 members, 7,780,717 topics. Date: Thursday, 28 March 2024 at 08:23 PM

Career Tips:surviving Unemployment - Jobs/Vacancies - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Jobs/Vacancies / Career Tips:surviving Unemployment (16370 Views)

Secret Ways To Kill Unemployment Forever / Top 10 Lucrative Blue-collar Jobs In Nigeria To Beat Graduate Unemployment / Surviving In Present Day Nigeria: For The Ex-corpers (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Career Tips:surviving Unemployment by ticker(m): 11:34am On Aug 16, 2016
In a recession, job losses are inevitable. As consumption and production fall, companies naturally have to stop hiring except for essential staffing needs. Many may also have to lay off staff with redundancies, which adds to an already alarming unemployment situation. It is a vicious cycle; as the numbers of those out of work increase and their income falls, consumer spending drops which in turn compels companies to cut back on production levels leading to even more job losses.

Have you recently been laid off? Here are some unemployment survival tips that you may find useful.

This is not the time to withdraw from your circles. Your network, including your immediate family, relatives, friends, colleagues, former clients, and business contacts, matter now more than ever. Many people rely on word of mouth to find the right people, so be sure to tell everyone you know that you are on the market.

Don’t wait till you are pushed. Many people in full time employment convince themselves that it won’t happen to them hoping they won’t be affected. However, if you know that it is inevitable that your company or industry is likely to lay off people and your appraisals have been of concern, it’s best to start the job search before you get the notice.

Develop yourself. Are there some important skills that you need in order to improve your prospects? Do you have the skills to get to where you want to be? Now, don’t rush off to do the first Master’s or PHD programme that you get admission for; I mean practical skills that all companies need such as IT or digital marketing skills. Consider doing it now and you will be better equipped with a skill set for your next job.

Volunteer: It is generally considered that volunteering can have a positive impact in the search for re-employment. It may not always lead to paid work, but it certainly does come with personal and social benefits. Volunteering will give you a sense of fulfillment. It can also enhance the personal skill set, introduce new knowledge; all this can help in the search for a permanent role.

Can you consult? An employer may need your skill set but may just not be able to afford to hire you as a full-time employee. By offering your skills on a consultancy basis, you can stay connected to your network and still be well positioned for a more permanent position when things improve.

Perfect your CV. There is nothing more exasperating for a prospective employer than to have the misfortune of reading a CV full of grammatical and typographical errors. Prepare your CV and proofread it very carefully; there are many good online samples and tips to guide you. Do not pretend to be what you are not; you will be caught out.

Be prepared for Interviews. If you are one of the tiny percentage of those that get to secure an interview, you owe it to yourself to be prepared. If you don’t know anything about the company inviting you, it could be embarrassing. Do your research. What value can you add? Look for problems to solve. Prepare questions that you wish to ask. There are literally thousands of people looking for work. What makes you unique?

Try to remain positive. Yes, you have already sent your CV to 82 companies and interviewed with 18; some may not even acknowledge your CV; it’s nothing personal. They have so many to go through. Dust off the disappointments as quickly as you can and stay focused on the next opportunity. If you are down and dejected, it will show, and can make you appear unattractive. You need to be upbeat, enthusiastic and positive.

Be flexible. Don’t be too fixated on getting your dream job. Be prepared to accept a role that may not necessarily meet your expectations when you consider your qualifications, expertise, or your experience. Part-time, or contract work are ways of getting you employed if you prove to be an outstanding resource. There are far too many people searching so if you are offered something that you can do well, accept it whilst you continue your search.

Stay fit and healthy. Particularly if you are stressed or anxious, your health can be affected, so don’t neglect this most important aspect of your life. We all know that a healthy diet and exercise is good for the mind and body. You have the time now to give some focus to this so put a proper regime in place. It will put you in a much better frame of mind as well.

What can you do to earn extra income? This is the time to look inwards at your skills, talents, those things that you do effortlessly but have never leveraged on or thought of monetising. Can you teach, can you bake, sew, take photographs? Do you find it easy to fix things? Are you an expert with social media? Many people are trying to bring a small business idea to life; can you assist with writing business plans? Reflect on this carefully and you will find that there is some solution that you can provide. People pay for solutions.

Today’s high unemployment rates mean that more people than ever before are experiencing job loss, and for significant periods of time. Being unemployed is one of life’s most challenging events, but it can also come with opportunities if you are calm, proactive and able to seize the moment which may just be the impetus you need to follow that passion, that dream and bring it to life.

Written by Nimi Akinkugbe

42 Likes 8 Shares

Re: Career Tips:surviving Unemployment by Gbolahan111: 2:32pm On Aug 16, 2016
Very helpful tips.
Re: Career Tips:surviving Unemployment by ugojaysly(m): 9:03pm On Aug 16, 2016
Well said
Re: Career Tips:surviving Unemployment by Johnpaul2k2(m): 6:50am On Aug 17, 2016
grin
Re: Career Tips:surviving Unemployment by veekid(m): 6:50am On Aug 17, 2016
If you have no money, there's no way of surviving In Nigeria, especially under that guy man in asorock, ah no mention name o

5 Likes

Re: Career Tips:surviving Unemployment by Proffdada: 6:50am On Aug 17, 2016
Play nairabet undecided

15 Likes

Re: Career Tips:surviving Unemployment by HRich(m): 6:52am On Aug 17, 2016
Hi Nairalanders

Please Rejoice with me for God has done me well

God have done a marvellous Miracle in my Life

Glory to His Name

He has made me to be among the LIVING

48 Likes

Re: Career Tips:surviving Unemployment by mesoprogress(m): 6:53am On Aug 17, 2016
Only solution is entrepreneurship and innovation. Think of offering services people will always need.

2 Likes

Re: Career Tips:surviving Unemployment by kilokeys(m): 6:56am On Aug 17, 2016
oya make una come learn guitar.. u can epp patronize the jobless o

based in abuja?

07084796868 whatsapp only>>>

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Career Tips:surviving Unemployment by ezimo777(m): 6:56am On Aug 17, 2016
Excellent op!
Re: Career Tips:surviving Unemployment by careercrew1: 6:59am On Aug 17, 2016
The best way to survive is by becoming an entrepreneur.

This is why I always advice people not to wait for a white collar job before you earn some money/income.

I even wrote an article on some businesses you can start with just little cash.

Please visit www.careercrewblog.com/2016/06/5-businesses-you-can-start-with-just.html for more information on that.

You can check my NL profile for my twitter handle and follow me on twitter for more info on entrepreneurship, career development and human capacity development. I follow back too.
Re: Career Tips:surviving Unemployment by hpk(m): 7:00am On Aug 17, 2016
WRITE STORIES.
Re: Career Tips:surviving Unemployment by obindomanya(m): 7:01am On Aug 17, 2016
Proffdada:
Play nairabet undecided
Is Bet9ja virtual/programmed bet not work? hahahahahahaha.

2 Likes

Re: Career Tips:surviving Unemployment by Tkayhandsome(m): 7:01am On Aug 17, 2016
May God help us
Re: Career Tips:surviving Unemployment by dhantey324(m): 7:03am On Aug 17, 2016
Honestly, there's nothing useful here undecided
Re: Career Tips:surviving Unemployment by ipreach: 7:05am On Aug 17, 2016
i love this. Thank you so much

2 Likes

Re: Career Tips:surviving Unemployment by youngice(m): 7:09am On Aug 17, 2016
Give up , then become a hobo
Re: Career Tips:surviving Unemployment by miknielz: 7:11am On Aug 17, 2016
dis country and unemployment are like

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Career Tips:surviving Unemployment by TDonald: 7:12am On Aug 17, 2016
Start Yahoo Yahoo grin

1 Like

Re: Career Tips:surviving Unemployment by eluquenson(m): 7:17am On Aug 17, 2016
That's cool
Re: Career Tips:surviving Unemployment by Ondoboi12345678: 7:18am On Aug 17, 2016
What about 9jaBet
Re: Career Tips:surviving Unemployment by happney65: 7:20am On Aug 17, 2016
veekid:
If you have no money, there's no way of surviving In Nigeria, especially under that guy man in asorock, ah no mention name o

grin grin grin
Re: Career Tips:surviving Unemployment by FroshGirl(m): 7:25am On Aug 17, 2016
hmmm, I thought its good advice!!!
Re: Career Tips:surviving Unemployment by Emeka71(m): 7:28am On Aug 17, 2016
I wonder if white-collar job is the only way to earn.

1 Like

Re: Career Tips:surviving Unemployment by nonjebose(m): 7:29am On Aug 17, 2016
Good tips. Start a business or something, no matter how small. It may even mean relocating to a new place with comparative advantage for the business

2 Likes

Re: Career Tips:surviving Unemployment by virginboy1(m): 7:34am On Aug 17, 2016
We need to Revolt unanimously against those Old Thieves that holds and man our political parastatals.

They are one of the major cause of the severe unemployment. We are in recession ,yet the old criminals especially the senates and house of rep. are receiving very high salary plus everyday padding and lie lie allowances.

"Just imaging a Nigerian Senator earns 8 times a USA senator" this is impunity.

We Nigerians youths clamored for change, is this the change we cried for
We've tested both parties and discovered that they are not capable. I think this is the right time for the youth to be united and takeover the country!!!

1 Like

Re: Career Tips:surviving Unemployment by Benjom(m): 7:36am On Aug 17, 2016
Great tips. Thanks Nimi Akinkugbe.

Need a CV Format that can 'wow' recruiters or How to write one?

http://.com/cv-samples/

http://.com/complete-step-step-guide-writing-successful-cv/

1 Like

Re: Career Tips:surviving Unemployment by Nectarbaba(m): 7:38am On Aug 17, 2016
I seee
Re: Career Tips:surviving Unemployment by hakeem4(m): 7:38am On Aug 17, 2016
Ins

1 Like

Re: Career Tips:surviving Unemployment by xchrisss90(m): 7:39am On Aug 17, 2016
there is nothing u wont see in this regime.

(1) (2) (Reply)

''why Nigeria Youth Are Unemployed / How To Apply For Police Service Recruitment 2016 / N-power Oyo State 2017 Thread

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 27
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.