Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,143,505 members, 7,781,536 topics. Date: Friday, 29 March 2024 at 04:27 PM

Utibe Nkanga Took Biking To Beat Lagos Traffic - Car Talk - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / Utibe Nkanga Took Biking To Beat Lagos Traffic (56480 Views)

Lagos Hustle!!! Look At How These Guys Washed A Moving Car In Lagos Traffic. / Torrot: A Vehicle Made For Lagos Traffic / Lagos Traffic Laws And Penalties (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Utibe Nkanga Took Biking To Beat Lagos Traffic by GurlFriend: 2:07pm On Aug 16, 2016
'Queen' Utibe Abasi Nkanga, 41, from Akwa Ibom, is 5'2 in height but that hasn't stopped her from striding where women fear to tread.

In an interview with Global Women Who Ride, the mother of two who rides a Honda CBR600RR talked about how she started riding and revealed that the daunting Lagos traffic was a big motivation in taking up bike riding.

She said:

I have always wanted to master the control of machines like planes and jets but couldn’t as the academic structures for such dreams are sadly lacking here. So I settled for learning to master the art of riding. This was as far back as 1986.In the 90s I realized that I could not achieve my dream of being a pilot. In early 2004, I resolved that I would at least have a power bike.

At my place of work some Nigerians and expatriates used to ride to work on their bike which was looked at as very strange and foreign. They would meander and weave their way through traffic while most of us were stuck in nerve wracking traffic in Lagos. When I said I would have my own bike, I saw total disbelief in their body language.

In 2009, I took my savings and bought my first bike. It was a 1998 Kawasaki Ninja 250. I wanted to learn on the smallest capacity bike before progressing to something bigger. I then called on a biker friend to help me link up with whoever would be willing to teach me to ride. I found a riding school but the instructors did not have any faith that I genuinely would and truly wanted to ride, because women are seen as domestic animals – fit only for domestic chores!

It took a while to overcome the fear of the road as I did not know how to drive a car. I also had concerns about my size as I am very petite and even the 250cc felt like a ton! I finally found an instructor who understood and I had to undergo a brief mental training on getting my acquired skills and knowledge to the roads. All this in 2009! Ever since then it has kept getting better.

http://www.lailasblog.com/2016/08/meet-utibe-nkanga-nigerian-female-power.html

10 Likes

Re: Utibe Nkanga Took Biking To Beat Lagos Traffic by chydii(f): 4:17pm On Aug 16, 2016
Sexy...
I like
Bold and fearless

73 Likes 1 Share

Re: Utibe Nkanga Took Biking To Beat Lagos Traffic by omogidi234(m): 4:17pm On Aug 16, 2016
Lovely acts.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Utibe Nkanga Took Biking To Beat Lagos Traffic by Femich18(m): 4:17pm On Aug 16, 2016
Nice one. Self motivation is the key...Nothing can be achieve without believing in oneself...

4 Likes

Re: Utibe Nkanga Took Biking To Beat Lagos Traffic by miknielz: 4:17pm On Aug 16, 2016
congratulations the "change" realy affect you

4 Likes

Re: Utibe Nkanga Took Biking To Beat Lagos Traffic by Nobody: 4:17pm On Aug 16, 2016
kiss
Re: Utibe Nkanga Took Biking To Beat Lagos Traffic by AlphaCentauri: 4:18pm On Aug 16, 2016
its too hot for all this leather na

22 Likes 1 Share

Re: Utibe Nkanga Took Biking To Beat Lagos Traffic by oshibote1: 4:18pm On Aug 16, 2016
Good

1 Like

Re: Utibe Nkanga Took Biking To Beat Lagos Traffic by idris4eva(m): 4:18pm On Aug 16, 2016
Nice one .... Make she dey look her back o

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Utibe Nkanga Took Biking To Beat Lagos Traffic by Nateben(m): 4:18pm On Aug 16, 2016
I need me one o

Lagos traffic is from Jupiter.

4 Likes

Re: Utibe Nkanga Took Biking To Beat Lagos Traffic by Gabrielwilliams(m): 4:18pm On Aug 16, 2016
Tite.. More power to women. #lovethis

1 Like 2 Shares

Re: Utibe Nkanga Took Biking To Beat Lagos Traffic by anytexy: 4:18pm On Aug 16, 2016
Good

1 Like

Re: Utibe Nkanga Took Biking To Beat Lagos Traffic by marcusaurelio(m): 4:18pm On Aug 16, 2016
cool

1 Like

Re: Utibe Nkanga Took Biking To Beat Lagos Traffic by Nobody: 4:18pm On Aug 16, 2016

This is news, only in Nigeria.

2 Likes

Re: Utibe Nkanga Took Biking To Beat Lagos Traffic by pweetixandy: 4:19pm On Aug 16, 2016
this is news only in Nigeria. Mchew.

whollup whollup whollup!!! did the guy above me copy me? SMH. poster above me, pls be yourself and stop living in people's shadow. discover your true potential. live a life of purpose. live your truth. you're gonna make it if only u can believe in yourself OK? #dropsMic

4 Likes

Re: Utibe Nkanga Took Biking To Beat Lagos Traffic by sakaka: 4:19pm On Aug 16, 2016
hmm
Re: Utibe Nkanga Took Biking To Beat Lagos Traffic by DirtyGold: 4:19pm On Aug 16, 2016
What's tha business?

7 Likes

Re: Utibe Nkanga Took Biking To Beat Lagos Traffic by tolugar: 4:19pm On Aug 16, 2016
Soon FG will use it as an excuss
Re: Utibe Nkanga Took Biking To Beat Lagos Traffic by donbenedict(m): 4:20pm On Aug 16, 2016
Women who ride power bikes are hot!
Re: Utibe Nkanga Took Biking To Beat Lagos Traffic by L1TTLE(m): 4:20pm On Aug 16, 2016
We aren't in Yankee hope she knows all thus danfo will do hou strong thing one day

2 Likes

Re: Utibe Nkanga Took Biking To Beat Lagos Traffic by oochi123(f): 4:20pm On Aug 16, 2016
Nice to meet u..Lol
Re: Utibe Nkanga Took Biking To Beat Lagos Traffic by Goldenheart(m): 4:21pm On Aug 16, 2016
Nothing new.. .
Re: Utibe Nkanga Took Biking To Beat Lagos Traffic by dubemnaija: 4:21pm On Aug 16, 2016
She tall pass midget hell rufai
Re: Utibe Nkanga Took Biking To Beat Lagos Traffic by jiorhemen(m): 4:22pm On Aug 16, 2016
She tried
Re: Utibe Nkanga Took Biking To Beat Lagos Traffic by clarity4clear(f): 4:22pm On Aug 16, 2016
That's my Lady!
Re: Utibe Nkanga Took Biking To Beat Lagos Traffic by aNAIJAFAN(m): 4:26pm On Aug 16, 2016
I lyk u jare

U no blong to all dis cockroach fearing ladies
.. .....

Yarb me & Chop slap

1 Like

Re: Utibe Nkanga Took Biking To Beat Lagos Traffic by Dentmoyin(m): 4:27pm On Aug 16, 2016
how has that stop gala boys from selling during hold up sha i blame buhari!
Re: Utibe Nkanga Took Biking To Beat Lagos Traffic by 4nobody4every1: 4:27pm On Aug 16, 2016
AlphaCentauri:
its too hot for all this leather na
Big Bre-dren, l like her boldness though tongue
Re: Utibe Nkanga Took Biking To Beat Lagos Traffic by AlphaCentauri: 4:30pm On Aug 16, 2016
4nobody4every1:
Big Bre-dren, l like her boldness though tongue
oh yeah she bold. she a go getter. unique woman. a bohemian of sorts. me likey likey wink
Re: Utibe Nkanga Took Biking To Beat Lagos Traffic by Nectarbaba(m): 4:30pm On Aug 16, 2016
Just be very careful.
Re: Utibe Nkanga Took Biking To Beat Lagos Traffic by OCTAVO: 4:31pm On Aug 16, 2016
OK o.
Re: Utibe Nkanga Took Biking To Beat Lagos Traffic by NameChecker: 4:31pm On Aug 16, 2016
ok

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Would You Buy This Rusty 1952 Volkswagen Beetle (ijapa) For N30million? / When You Hit Or Kill Someone While Driving: What's The Right Thing To Do? / Fatal Accident Today Along Creek Road,Apapa(Graphic Photos)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 16
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.