Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,923 members, 7,802,990 topics. Date: Saturday, 20 April 2024 at 06:51 AM

Why Do Igbo In Yoruba Land Hate To Give Their Daughter To Yorubas - Romance (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Romance / Why Do Igbo In Yoruba Land Hate To Give Their Daughter To Yorubas (11825 Views)

Why Do Igbo People Brag A Lot About Having The Most Beautiful Women In Nigeria? / Why Do Igbo Girls Behave This Way If U Fail To Marry Them After Having A Child / 5 Things Women Hate To Hear (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Why Do Igbo In Yoruba Land Hate To Give Their Daughter To Yorubas by Nobody: 6:29pm On Sep 27, 2009
vanitty:

Ode, where did u get your statistics from?
dont let me start with you cos you're going to regret it promise you that.Be sincere,does your dad takes good care of your mom to start with?keep off.
Re: Why Do Igbo In Yoruba Land Hate To Give Their Daughter To Yorubas by Nobody: 6:31pm On Sep 27, 2009
yorke:

ok, with all do respect to the yorubas, i think 80% of the yoruba men dont know how to take care of their wife and 20% do.they care less once they bring in a woman.the question now is which one do belong to?
yorke:

dont let me start with you cos you're going to regret it promise you that.Be sincere,[b]does your dad takes good care of your mom to start with?[/b]keep off.
He sure as heck does cheesy
Re: Why Do Igbo In Yoruba Land Hate To Give Their Daughter To Yorubas by vanitty: 6:43pm On Sep 27, 2009
yorke:

dont let me start with you cos you're going to regret it promise you that.Be sincere,does your dad takes good care of your mom to start with?keep off.

Ode. Keep ranting.
Re: Why Do Igbo In Yoruba Land Hate To Give Their Daughter To Yorubas by blandyne(f): 6:51pm On Sep 27, 2009
TheSeeker:

Another reason is that Yoruba men are very very prone to polygamy. I share this belief in its entirety. Polygamy is nothing any parents want their daughters to deal with and this is predominant among Yoruba men.

Stella N:

so Igbo girl dey hungry u to marry ehyaaaaaaaaaaa ndo oooooooooo
well are u ready to pay the price?

okey let me just tell u one reason why Igbo hate to give their precious child to a Yorubas in marrage
right from origin yorubas are wicked especially to the people that does not understand their language,
and they are ready to marry may be two wivies and have as many concubines as their pennis could carry,
so my dear if u want an Igbo girl be prepared to leave some of your tribe character

I'm not nigerian  so i'm not familiar with the tribalism that's going on there. However what's all this talking about yoruba men are polygamists. My boyfriend is yoruba!!!!!!
Re: Why Do Igbo In Yoruba Land Hate To Give Their Daughter To Yorubas by Kunbee: 1:22am On Sep 28, 2009
Eya pele
Re: Why Do Igbo In Yoruba Land Hate To Give Their Daughter To Yorubas by GboGboAye: 5:14am On Sep 28, 2009
oga poster, it is a known fact hat yoruba ppl r back stabbers. And yoruba ppl smell. And they r too noisy.
They gossip too much as well.
if they give u their daughter to marry, they will not sleep well becos they will be wondering about which of ur yoruba relatives is planning to ruin their daughter's life. U can't blame them.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why Do Igbo In Yoruba Land Hate To Give Their Daughter To Yorubas by sjeezy8: 6:13am On Sep 28, 2009
i dont know about anyone else but i can only give my daughter to another yoruba man.

Because MOST of them are the ones who can handle yoruba ladies, with there overspending, owambe parties,loud mouth, noisy, opinionated and liberal ways.

Yoruba guys are typically laid back and FAR from controlling

@post
become a millionaire and spend on her mom, she will start attending owambe parties and trying to be a socialite in no time.
Re: Why Do Igbo In Yoruba Land Hate To Give Their Daughter To Yorubas by PAININASS: 9:51am On Sep 28, 2009
GboGboAye:

oga poster, it is a known fact hat yoruba ppl r back stabbers. And yoruba ppl smell. And they r too noisy.
They gossip too much as well.
if they give u their daughter to marry, they will not sleep well becos they will be wondering about which of your yoruba relatives is planning to ruin their daughter's life. U can't blame them.
Yoruba people smell?i think you are not alive!yoruba was choosing as one of best 100 tribe amongst millions tribe in the world in year 2004, yoruba can be found namely,Cuba,Brazil Benin Republic and Togo respectively,I can marry Igbo as a wife if possible because they are cute somehow but i can kill my daughter the day she decide to marry an igbo man

The reason why i dislike Igbo people is that,you can not joke with igbo people the same way you joke with yoruba people and even on this forum,the meanest people are mainly igbo's, They are HOT TEMPER,and they can kill you if you are dealing with them
Re: Why Do Igbo In Yoruba Land Hate To Give Their Daughter To Yorubas by scantee(m): 12:34pm On Sep 28, 2009
PAININASS:

Yoruba people smell?i think you are not alive!yoruba was choosing as one of best 100 tribe amongst millions tribe in the world in year 2004, yoruba can be found namely,Cuba,Brazil Benin Republic and Togo respectively,I can marry Igbo as a wife if possible because they are cute somehow but i can kill my daughter the day she decide to marry an igbo man

The reason why i dislike Igbo people is that,you can not joke with igbo people the same way you joke with yoruba people and even on this forum,the meanest people are mainly igbo's, They are HOT TEMPER,and they can kill you if you are dealing with them

sharap
Re: Why Do Igbo In Yoruba Land Hate To Give Their Daughter To Yorubas by scantee(m): 12:46pm On Sep 28, 2009
My elder Brother was in love with a yoruba girl and finaly decide to marry her, the girls father swear that it will happen over his dead body, this keep them from getting married over five years, they where trying to convince the father to accept the proposal.

the worst is that the father cant even given a reasonable reason why he dosent want her daughter to get marry to an igbo guy, but he keep shouting OMO IBO OMO IBO my brother has to apply all the startage he has to win other family members hart. and they finaly give him green card. but do you believe that the father of the girl refused to attend the wedding of her only dauther.
Re: Why Do Igbo In Yoruba Land Hate To Give Their Daughter To Yorubas by julianH(m): 1:45pm On Sep 28, 2009
I am from the East but grew up in Benue State.

It is not all about tribalism and all.

Point is that there are very few ethnic groups in Nigeria that you grow up with and interract with and really know that you would want to marry.

Higher education took me to the East. Before then I never spent up to a week there.
Before then too I have very high regards for the Igbo girls but having stayed there,
my opinion about them changed and i subsequently lost my respect for them.

The Igbos might stay in Yoruba land for years but would not want their children to marry from that part because they know the people in-side-out.
Re: Why Do Igbo In Yoruba Land Hate To Give Their Daughter To Yorubas by Nobody: 4:26pm On Sep 28, 2009
scantee:

My elder Brother was in love with a yoruba girl and finaly decide to marry her, the girls father swear that it will happen over his dead body, this keep them from getting married over five years, they where trying to convince the father to accept the proposal.

the worst is that the father cant even given a reasonable reason why he dosent want her daughter to get marry to an igbo guy, but he keep shouting OMO IBO OMO IBO My brother has to apply all the startage he has to win other family members hart. and they finaly give him green card. but do you believe that the father of the girl refused to attend the wedding of her only dauther.

grin

Omo Ibo wan marry Yoruba? grin

na the Nler abi another one. cheesy
Re: Why Do Igbo In Yoruba Land Hate To Give Their Daughter To Yorubas by VGA: 5:41pm On Sep 28, 2009

I agree
Re: Why Do Igbo In Yoruba Land Hate To Give Their Daughter To Yorubas by posakosa(m): 5:50pm On Sep 28, 2009

shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked
Re: Why Do Igbo In Yoruba Land Hate To Give Their Daughter To Yorubas by TheSeeker(m): 7:42pm On Sep 28, 2009
scantee:

the worst is that the father cant even given a reasonable reason why he dosent want her daughter to get marry to an igbo guy, but he keep shouting OMO IBO OMO IBO my brother has to apply all the startage he has to win other family members hart. and they finaly give him green card. but do you believe that the father of the girl refused to attend the wedding of her only dauther.
Tell me about it. I once had a yoruba girlfriend and what stopped me from taking our relationship to another level with her is because her mom kept saying incoherent stuffs about Igbo guys being human eaters, money ritualists, etc. How retarded and backward-thinking can anyone ever get than this, and worst of all, her mom is a professor, well-traveled and supposedly exposed, but I guess education doesn't make you see better all the time, right? As I stated earlier, it's predominant in both tribes; while Igbos may have a tenable reasons to back their claims up judging from the past, Yoruba lacks better point to convey home what they are trying to say.
Re: Why Do Igbo In Yoruba Land Hate To Give Their Daughter To Yorubas by sjeezy8: 10:57pm On Sep 28, 2009
PAININASS:

VGA:

I agree

gbosa lol thirded

no tribalism- but in America there has been some Igbo guys who killed there wives for stupid reasons.

Igbo guys most of the time have WAY too much pride and can get abusive, if he feels hes being made a fool of. NOT ALL BUT ALOT. (Yoruba gals often make  fools of people, so it doesn't mesh)

You see igbos on this forum talk about yoruba guys or gals this n that, yorubas aren't really vexin. If I say igbo babes, have chest hair, or have man shape and the guys are DRY no swag, all igbos will jump down my neck.

they take shit way to serious not all BUT ALOT
Re: Why Do Igbo In Yoruba Land Hate To Give Their Daughter To Yorubas by Nobody: 11:04pm On Sep 28, 2009
I've said it before, Yoruba girls fit Igbo guys. cheesy
Re: Why Do Igbo In Yoruba Land Hate To Give Their Daughter To Yorubas by emekagh(m): 11:56pm On Sep 28, 2009
lol. This is hilarious.
Anyway, the point is that this negative traits we are all hammering against
one tribe or the other, is not actually a thing of tribe. It's an individual thing.

Different people from different tribes (indeed worldwide) have the flaws we have mentioned.

Cheers!
Re: Why Do Igbo In Yoruba Land Hate To Give Their Daughter To Yorubas by Secretz(f): 11:59pm On Sep 28, 2009
stillwater:

I've said it before, Yoruba girls fit Igbo guys. cheesy

lol . . . .   grin

@ OP, These tribes are as bad as each other jare!! They fight with eachother and within themselves, forgetting the fundamental point and that is for their pickin to he HAPPY!  They should all go and find somewhere to sit abeg!  grin
Re: Why Do Igbo In Yoruba Land Hate To Give Their Daughter To Yorubas by chiogo(f): 2:30am On Sep 29, 2009
It goes both ways. Anyways, some Igbo parents don't even consent to their children marrying another Igbo from a different state.
Really, so many divisions. what do you think such parents would do if it has to do with someone from a completely different ethnicity?
Re: Why Do Igbo In Yoruba Land Hate To Give Their Daughter To Yorubas by ThiefOfHearts(f): 2:35am On Sep 29, 2009
Yoruba guys are typically laid back and FAR from controlling

To God be the glory.

Rather that than to end up in Oha soup after being h-acked to death by an angry lunatic. grin
Re: Why Do Igbo In Yoruba Land Hate To Give Their Daughter To Yorubas by ThiefOfHearts(f): 2:38am On Sep 29, 2009

True Talk. Even the half ones sef. Malicious bunch.  cool
Re: Why Do Igbo In Yoruba Land Hate To Give Their Daughter To Yorubas by ThiefOfHearts(f): 2:43am On Sep 29, 2009
Igbo guys most of the time have WAY too much pride and can get abusive, if he feels hes being made a fool of. NOT ALL BUT ALOT. (Yoruba gals often make fools of people, so it doesn't mesh)

You see igbos on this forum talk about yoruba guys or gals this n that, yorubas aren't really vexin. If I say igbo babes, have chest hair, or have man shape and the guys are DRY no swag, all igbos will jump down my neck.

they take shit way to serious not all BUT ALOT

The truth and nothing but the truth. No sense of humor whatsoever. May God take that everlasting stick out of their yansh

*runs away before Osisi comes for her head* grin
Re: Why Do Igbo In Yoruba Land Hate To Give Their Daughter To Yorubas by AloyEmeka9: 2:54am On Sep 29, 2009
TheSeeker:

Igbo parents have reasons. One is the natural hatred they have for Awolowo which extended to the whole tribe entirely. Some Igbos know their family don't like Yorubas but they don't know the reason.  Another reason is that Yoruba men are very very prone to polygamy. I share this belief in its entirety. Polygamy is nothing any parents want their daughters to deal with and this is predominant among Yoruba men.

If one igbo parents' reason is the polygamy that is rampant in yorubaland, why do they prevent their son from marrying Yoruba women?.

I am not disagreeing with you totally but both sides are guilty of tribalism.  There are also some underlying cultural factors that contribute to this situation. For eg:

1. Marriage is a sacred institution to igbos and divorce is a no go area for them but Yorubas do not hold on to it  desperately. If a Yoruba man's wife gives him too much problem, he will just marry another one that will give him peace and happiness but an igbo man will not be that bold because of so many hurdles he will jump in order to break his marriage. His wife's family, his own family and some of his kinsmen will write him off. Since divorce and polygamy is more rampant in yorubaland, remarriage is easier among Yorubas than igbos. So how will you make the yorobaman understand that marriage is a serious business where you come from and he should better be serious about it?.

2. If you check well, it's easier for a divorced Yoruba woman with/out a child to remarry than a divorced igbo woman.  Actually it's easier for an igbo widow with 10 children to remarry than a divorced igbo woman with no child because the family of her new suitor are likely to conclude that she is a bad woman and that is why her marriage failed unless she is marrying outside igboland. This is the major reason why some igbo parents frown at their daughters marrying Yoruba men because if he takes a second wife or bails on the marriage, their daughter will become  damaged goods. Some will still say her Yoruba husband married a 2nd wife because she was a bad wife.

3. You can now see there are cultural differences. It's easier for a Yoruba woman who came out of a failed marriage to remarry than an igbo woman. The high rate of polygamy in yorubaland helps matters too because some of them remarry as 2nd, 3rd, 4th etc wives but how many polygamists are there to absorb these divorce's in the east?. Furthermore, no igbo parent prays for her daughter to end up in a polygamous home and that's a fact.

4. Distance plays a role too: Igbos believe that if a marriage runs into murky waters, it's easier to repair it when both families are culturally homogeneous. Typically, the man's family sides him while the woman's family sides her but bringing both sides together to work in harmony is not always easy when both families are culturally different.  

5. Igbo's hatred for Awolowo do not fit in here. It's pure tribalism on both sides. My Efik friend fell in love with this super pretty Yoruba girl and her parents rejected him because he is according to them "omo ibo". They didn't even know he is not igbo but her parents[dad is a dentist and mum is a teacher] as educated as they are believes anything east of Ondo is igbo. The girl later fled to Lagos to be with him but her parents did their homework and finally won their dauhter back. She is not yet married 10 years after and her beauty is now a shadow of itself. I am presently going through the same thing but my case is with the father alone, her mother could care less and is advising me to ignore her husband and do whatever I want to do. Another igbo guy I know in Lagos suffered the same fate when her mother came all the way from Enugu to stop him from marrying his Yoruba fiance and she succeeded. Pastors can stop marriages in Nigeria over such issues.
Re: Why Do Igbo In Yoruba Land Hate To Give Their Daughter To Yorubas by chic2pimp(m): 3:06am On Sep 29, 2009
Aloy.Emeka:

Pastors can stop marriages in Nigeria over such issues.

We all know the pastor's word is the be all and end all as far as nigerians are concerned.
Re: Why Do Igbo In Yoruba Land Hate To Give Their Daughter To Yorubas by Gamine(f): 3:17am On Sep 29, 2009
Chei, wetin person no go see for nairaland?
It goes both ways. Anyways, some Igbo parents don't even consent to their children marrying another Igbo from a different state.
Really, so many divisions. what do you think such parents would do if it has to do with someone from a completely different ethnicity?

A friend stated this dilemma once.

Nigerians love discrimination, when they say we are racist now, some people would go into 'kudhi' mode.
Re: Why Do Igbo In Yoruba Land Hate To Give Their Daughter To Yorubas by AloyEmeka9: 3:41am On Sep 29, 2009
FL Gators:

Even some yoruba does not want their son/daughter to marry yoruba from another town.

No be only tribes

Same with igbos.
Re: Why Do Igbo In Yoruba Land Hate To Give Their Daughter To Yorubas by AloyEmeka9: 3:43am On Sep 29, 2009
Stella N:

so Igbo girl dey hungry u to marry ehyaaaaaaaaaaa ndo oooooooooo
well are u ready to pay the price?

okey let me just tell u one reason why Igbo hate to give their precious child to a Yorubas in marrage
right from origin yorubas are wicked especially to the people that does not understand their language,
and[b] they are ready to marry may be two wivies and have as many concubines as their pennis could carry,
so my dear if u want an Igbo girl be prepared to leave some of your tribe character[/b]

Did Yoruba man knock you up recently?
Re: Why Do Igbo In Yoruba Land Hate To Give Their Daughter To Yorubas by Nobody: 5:48am On Sep 29, 2009
ThiefOfHearts:

True Talk. Even the half ones sef. Malicious bunch.  cool

true sha ( not all though).

but wetin halfies do you nah.

half hausa nko- are they also mean?

btw, some of the meanest people arent mixed with anything.

anyway, I wont say I'm not mean to stupid fools. undecided The meanness sef still no dey teach them their once and for all lesson- they always keep coming back for more punishment, the sadistic idiots. They find pleasure in pain.

angry
Re: Why Do Igbo In Yoruba Land Hate To Give Their Daughter To Yorubas by ThiefOfHearts(f): 5:58am On Sep 29, 2009
Lmao

LOL @ They take care of their wives better. Is this before or after they are sliced by machetes for earning more than their husbands cheesy
Re: Why Do Igbo In Yoruba Land Hate To Give Their Daughter To Yorubas by Nobody: 10:26am On Sep 29, 2009
SMH @ some of you.

You guys are just pathetic.
Re: Why Do Igbo In Yoruba Land Hate To Give Their Daughter To Yorubas by AloyEmeka9: 2:04pm On Sep 29, 2009
yorke:

ok, with all do respect to the yorubas, i think 80% of the yoruba men dont know how to take care of their wife and 20% do.they care less once they bring in a woman.the question now is which one do belong to?

This is an erroneous thinking by igbos just like Yorubas think igbos are ritualists. Truly, some unscrupulous Yorubas men are the only group who allows their wives to carry loads while they shill at home drinking palm wine. All the labourers in alaba international, idumota that off load containers for igbo traders are Yoruba women[suuru alaba] who toil everyday to make ends meet  and they end up handing over their daily earnings to baba who has 8 other wives earning money for him the same way. Isn't that pimping?. I always tell igbo traders to stop hiring these women for work because they share responsibility in abusing them. My cousin used to give them money for coke just to stay off his load because some of them are frail and can hardly lift 20kg yet they carry about 50kg on their head all day. I wouldn't hire them either, call it tribalism or whatever but if igbo tribalism continue to use them because their labour is cheaper than hiring men, it will never stop.

Judging Yoruba men from that experience is erroneous and its not 80%[not even 5%] of them that do it.  I really do think Yorubas need to do something about respecting their women. May be that's why many Yoruba women are very violent and querrelsome. It could be a result of long term mental  abuse. You cannot see Benin, Hausa, Efik, Ibibio, Igbo , Ijaw etc women carrying loads for igbo traders in Lagos for a fee[only the men]. It's only Yoruba women that do that thing and its not right. If they carry these loads and keep the money for their upkeep, it will be better but not for baba. I will not wish such husband for my sister. If baba wants to be called baba, let him go and work in order to take care of his family.

Igbo men who use their services are also as guilty as their Yoruba husbands. Being the capitalists they are, they prefer them because of they underprice themselves and provide cheap labour. That is why it will cost you 3 times the amount you'll use to offload the same truck at Onitsha because there are no female labourers there.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply)

10 Real Life Female Giants (with Pictures) / Why Do White Women Envy Women Of Other Races? / What Comes To Your Mind When You See A Girl Wearing This?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 73
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.