Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,897 members, 7,802,891 topics. Date: Saturday, 20 April 2024 at 01:56 AM

Advice For Graphics Designer - Art, Graphics & Video - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Art, Graphics & Video / Advice For Graphics Designer (1593 Views)

Hello To All Naira Lander Graphics Artist. I Have A Strong Passion For Graphics / Office Space For Graphics Designer & Video Editors In A 3bedroom For Share Lekki / Re-ignite Your Passion For Graphics- Lets Take The Challenge Together (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Advice For Graphics Designer by dubuntu(m): 10:43am On Aug 17, 2016
I am seriously considering going into graphics designing as a career but presently I have no idea of what this career path looks like in Nigeria. So what advice would you guys give to a person considering graphics design as a career in Nigeria?
Re: Advice For Graphics Designer by Donald3d(m): 11:14am On Aug 17, 2016
dubuntu:
I am seriously considering going into graphics designing as a career but presently I have no idea of what this career path looks like in Nigeria. So what advice would you guys give to a person considering graphics design as a career in Nigeria?
First of all do u have the passion for it ?
Re: Advice For Graphics Designer by dubuntu(m): 11:25am On Aug 17, 2016
Donald3d:
First of all do u have the passion for it ?

Of course I do. Otherwise I wouldn't even consider it in d first place.
Re: Advice For Graphics Designer by Donald3d(m): 11:26am On Aug 17, 2016
dubuntu:

Good , since you have a passion for it, get trained , get enough online tutorials so you can learn a t your pace , there is a huge market for designers .See you at the top
Re: Advice For Graphics Designer by grevotech(m): 11:36am On Aug 17, 2016
dubuntu:

You might not have the money to get trained but there whatsapp groups form out of NL Here than you can join with professionals and Novice alike who can help you out... Thats how i got to establish and advance my skills without a formal training and also Youtube ans other websites can really help you achieve this...
Re: Advice For Graphics Designer by dubuntu(m): 11:44am On Aug 17, 2016
Thanks guys.
I,'m definitely going to get enough training to polish my skills. But another question is how profitable is the graphics designing career? Because An important part of "loving what one does" is being able to turn a profit no matter how small. So I'd need a bit more industry info from insiders.
Re: Advice For Graphics Designer by Lexusgs430: 12:49pm On Aug 17, 2016
dubuntu:
Thanks guys.
I,'m definitely going to get enough training to polish my skills. But another question is how profitable is the graphics designing career? Because An important part of "loving what one does" is being able to turn a profit no matter how small. So I'd need a bit more industry info from insiders.

Nigerians don't like to pay or appreciate talent. PROFIT should not be put ahead of PASSION.
Hope to find your niche and build a clientele base
Re: Advice For Graphics Designer by felixchip(m): 8:55pm On Aug 17, 2016
The truth is, one of the mistakes people make, which I happen to have made myself is not understanding how design generally works. Who needs it. Why they need 'em. And, which among the different aspects of design is best for me. And, how do I leverage my market.

Take your time, even before enrolling or getting tuts online, head to youtube and search for intro to design. Elements of design. What makes a good design. And, google the different aspects of design. Once you find one that interests you, you can get tuts or enrol.

Why?
In as much as it is very good to be good at not just one aspect of design, there's always one that you can do better and would always prefer. Build you strength on it. And, as time goes on, you can add more skills.

Just like a goalkeeper, you can never be on every side of the post despite that he owns it. He has to take one side.
Get started. With one. You'll be focused. And, it'll be way more easier. And better.

Don't forget. Always find websites and works to inspire you. Get works that intimidate you. And make you want to do more.

And, don't forget to get mentors. No matter how much you know, there's always something you'll learn from them. Mentors, when you have the good ones, could be your best shot.

And, about how profitable the design market is, I'll say, "it is as profitable as you want it to". Just like every market, you have to take your time and study it. Find a niche. Know what they want, and deliver it right. Don't forget that no matter how good you are, there's always someone who is good or better than you are. How you project yourself and services is what sets you apart.

Good Luck.
And may the pixels be with you

2 Likes

Re: Advice For Graphics Designer by dubuntu(m): 11:07am On Aug 18, 2016
felixchip:
The truth is, one of the mistakes people make, which I happen to have made myself is not understanding how design generally works. Who needs it. Why they need 'em. And, which among the different aspects of design is best for me. And, how do I leverage my market.

Take your time, even before enrolling or getting tuts online, head to youtube and search for intro to design. Elements of design. What makes a good design. And, google the different aspects of design. Once you find one that interests you, you can get tuts or enrol.

Why?
In as much as it is very good to good at not just aspect of design, there's always one that you can do better and would always prefer. Build you strength on it. And, as time goes on, you can add more skills.

Just like a goalkeeper, you can never be on every side of the post despite that he owns it. He has to take one side.
Get started. With one. You'll be focused. And, it'll be way more easier. And better.

Don't forget. Always find websites and works to inspire you. Get works that intimidate you. And make you want to do more.

And, don't forget to get mentors. No matter how much you know, there's always something you'll learn from them. Mentors, when you have the good ones, could be your best shot.

And, about how profitable the design market is, I'll say, "it is as profitable as you want it to". Just like every market, you have to take your time and study it. Find a niche. Know what they want, and deliver it right. Don't forget that no matter how good you are, there's always someone who is good or better than you are. How you project yourself and services is what sets you apart.

Good Luck.

Wow! No offense to the initial post here but this is about the best piece of advice i've gotten so far. I think u got your point across perfectly and I hope u don't mind me enlisting u on my mentors roll (whatever that means). Thanks a lot once again. I appreciate!

1 Like

Re: Advice For Graphics Designer by felixchip(m): 11:31am On Aug 19, 2016
dubuntu:

Wow! No offense to the initial post here but this is about the best piece of advice i've gotten so far. I think u got your point across perfectly and I hope u don't mind me enlisting u on my mentors roll (whatever that means). Thanks a lot once again. I appreciate!

You 'welcome.
Re: Advice For Graphics Designer by dubuntu(m): 5:59pm On Aug 21, 2016
felixchip:

Why?
In as much as it is very good to be good at not just one aspect of design, there's always one that you can do better and would always prefer. Build you strength on it. And, as time goes on, you can add more skills.

Good Luck.

Hey Felix u mind if I can get ur number. I might need ur assistance. Just questions and WhatsApp only if u prefer
Re: Advice For Graphics Designer by felixchip(m): 10:00am On Aug 22, 2016
dubuntu:

Hey Felix u mind if I can get ur number. I might need ur assistance. Just questions and WhatsApp only if u prefer

No problems.
Phone: 07086493069
Whatsapp: 07033177777

(1) (Reply)

Bbnaija: Watch Gifty And Bally In Another Hot Romance On Day 19 (video 18+) / My Painting Of Mr Eazi / Artist Turns Logos Of Famous Brands Into Weapons

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 34
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.