Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,013 members, 7,806,962 topics. Date: Wednesday, 24 April 2024 at 07:55 AM

Abuja, Ibadan, Port-Harcourt Make Euromonitor Top 10 Fast Growing African Cities - Travel - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Abuja, Ibadan, Port-Harcourt Make Euromonitor Top 10 Fast Growing African Cities (43461 Views)

Slums From World Major Cities That Shows All That Glitters Is Not Gold (PHOTOS) / South African Cities More Beautiful Than Nigerian City / 5 Best Nigerian Cities To Live In - Do You Agree? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Abuja, Ibadan, Port-Harcourt Make Euromonitor Top 10 Fast Growing African Cities by NewsPoacher: 6:52pm On Aug 17, 2016
http://blog.euromonitor.com/2016/08/top-10-sub-saharan-cities-consumer-spending-growth-2030.html

An extensive overview of 24 first- and second-tier cities in Cameroon, Kenya, Nigeria and South Africa in a recently published white paper reveals particularly dynamic growth shifting from the region’s mature consumer markets in South African metropolises to the urban areas in other Sub-Saharan countries. Indeed, out of the top 10 fastest growing cities in the region for consumer spending in 2015-2030, only two come from South Africa. Soaring population growth and improving purchasing power will strengthen the consumer market potential in the cities across the region.

TOP 10 FASTEST GROWING SUB-SAHARAN CITIES FOR CONSUMER SPENDING IN 2015-2030

Source: Euromonitor International

Note: The size of the bubble represents total consumer expenditure in a city in 2030 (in US$ bn).

POPULATION EXPANSION AND INCOME GROWTH DRIVE CONSUMER SPENDING IN SUB-SAHARAN CITIES

South Africa’s cities, i.e. Johannesburg and Pretoria, will remain the region’s heavyweights in consumer expenditure in 2030. South Africa has been a long-term favourite entry point into the region for many multinational companies, and so the country’s flagship cities have over time developed consumer markets of a relatively extensive depth and breadth. However, the market saturation of Johannesburg and Pretoria is evident and greatly contrasts with the dynamism of Nairobi, Abuja, Yaoundé and Douala. Second-tier cities in countries such as Kenya are picking up an especially impressive growth momentum.

Population surge is a predominant driver of the consumer spending boom in the top 10 cities under review. In fact, Sub-Saharan Africa is projected to see the highest increase in the urban population among the developing regions globally from 2015 to 2030 (+74% or 268 million). Another important boost to the Sub-Saharan cities’ consumer markets is that the region’s urban households are growing richer. Indeed, in Kenya’s leading cities of Nairobi and Mombasa, improving purchasing power of households is forecast to be a prevailing factor behind soaring consumer spending in them.

POPULATION EXPANSION AND INCOME GROWTH STAND BEHIND A CONSUMER BOOM IN SUB-SAHARAN CITIES

Source: Euromonitor International

WHERE WILL A RISING CONSUMER CLASS IN SUB-SAHARAN CITIES CHANNEL ITS SPENDING?

Reflecting the population surge, consumer expenditure in the top 10 Sub-Saharan cities under review (with the exception of Johannesburg and Pretoria) will still be largely allocated to basic necessities such as food and non-alcoholic drinks. In fact, as of 2030, the share in total city consumer spending captured by food will range from a third in Nairobi to more than half in Nigerian cities: Abuja, Ibadan and Port Harcourt. However, in line with growing household incomes, the proportion that food occupies in consumer expenditure will decrease in the top 10 Sub-Saharan cities under review by 2030, leaving more room for spending on discretionary items. Consumer categories such as transport, household goods and services, health goods and medical services, as well as hotels and catering will be particularly thriving in the top 10 Sub-Saharan cities under review by 2030.

Iryna Sychyk is a City Analyst at Euromonitor International, contributing to analysis of industrial, economic and urban developments since 2011. Iryna draws on educational experiences at universities in Lithuania, the UK and Belgium and holds a Master's degree in Business Administration from KU Leuven (Belgium). Her professional background involves industry and urban economic analysis as well as logistics.

http://blog.euromonitor.com/2016/08/top-10-sub-saharan-cities-consumer-spending-growth-2030.html

10 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Abuja, Ibadan, Port-Harcourt Make Euromonitor Top 10 Fast Growing African Cities by SonofDevil: 6:54pm On Aug 17, 2016
No this is complete thrash,
I doubt the credibility of these news

anambra exports $5million, ugu every month,

Onitsha is the industrial hub of nigeria

Ogbete market is home to raw Feaces for manure

Ibadan is a brown roof city which is not economic viable should not be on that list

98 Likes 5 Shares

Re: Abuja, Ibadan, Port-Harcourt Make Euromonitor Top 10 Fast Growing African Cities by DropShot: 6:55pm On Aug 17, 2016
Happy my Ibadan made it. I pray and hope it fulfills its enormous potentials.

56 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Abuja, Ibadan, Port-Harcourt Make Euromonitor Top 10 Fast Growing African Cities by ODVanguard: 6:58pm On Aug 17, 2016
Oh boy! There goes IB again, always finding ways of popping up and giving its haters nightmares. cool undecided

89 Likes 7 Shares

Re: Abuja, Ibadan, Port-Harcourt Make Euromonitor Top 10 Fast Growing African Cities by madridguy(m): 7:00pm On Aug 17, 2016
Change don happen for Ibadan.

33 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Abuja, Ibadan, Port-Harcourt Make Euromonitor Top 10 Fast Growing African Cities by Justiyke4u: 7:06pm On Aug 17, 2016
Ph?
Re: Abuja, Ibadan, Port-Harcourt Make Euromonitor Top 10 Fast Growing African Cities by Harrisee(m): 7:15pm On Aug 17, 2016
Chai. So southeast did not make the list. Igbos come and develop your cities. Stop hating other regions and get to work.

94 Likes 8 Shares

Re: Abuja, Ibadan, Port-Harcourt Make Euromonitor Top 10 Fast Growing African Cities by decatalyst(m): 7:17pm On Aug 17, 2016
Yeah! Ibadan is really growing...

Only that Sen Ajimobi hasn't done anything for the past two years.

Eyin omo ibadan ajorosun mo se pele ni le ooo

Tori ewure to ba wo le ti o ki onile ewure na a di mimu so ni o.

Yoruba peeps dey this forum so?

#ProudYorubaBoi cool

83 Likes 5 Shares

Re: Abuja, Ibadan, Port-Harcourt Make Euromonitor Top 10 Fast Growing African Cities by thesicilian: 7:20pm On Aug 17, 2016
How on earth did Lagos not make that list?

5 Likes

Re: Abuja, Ibadan, Port-Harcourt Make Euromonitor Top 10 Fast Growing African Cities by NewsPoacher: 7:33pm On Aug 17, 2016
thesicilian:
How on earth did Lagos not make that list?

According to another source regarding the report:

Lagos, Nigeria’s commercial hub and most populous city, did not make the top 10 ranking. According to Iryna Sychyk, city analyst at Euromonitor, Lagos will remain the largest consumer market in 2030 – valued at US$60bn (at constant 2015 prices). However, its growth in consumer spending will not be as impressive.

http://www.howwemadeitinafrica.com/african-cities-will-see-fastest-growth-consumer-spending/55442/

20 Likes 1 Share

Re: Abuja, Ibadan, Port-Harcourt Make Euromonitor Top 10 Fast Growing African Cities by thesicilian: 7:40pm On Aug 17, 2016
NewsPoacher:

According to another source regarding the report:

http://www.howwemadeitinafrica.com/african-cities-will-see-fastest-growth-consumer-spending/55442/
Oh, I think I get it now. The keyword here is growth. Thanx.
Are you the owner of that blog? Its the kind of blog I always wanted to have, only no money for web development now. Kudos!

9 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Abuja, Ibadan, Port-Harcourt Make Euromonitor Top 10 Fast Growing African Cities by 9jii(m): 7:40pm On Aug 17, 2016
I don't want my village to grow it should maintain all it villagetary and serenity that preserves my root.

3 Likes

Re: Abuja, Ibadan, Port-Harcourt Make Euromonitor Top 10 Fast Growing African Cities by Karm16: 7:52pm On Aug 17, 2016
[size=13pt]Osus from the South sh!t won't like this at all.

They will soon come with their bitterness, hatred and envy for Yoruba people to put down Ibadan.

While they're sleeping, forcing the SS-SE (a union SS doesn't want) union, supporting ND terrorist, Ibadan and Ogun are competing with Lagos. grin grin grin

Who God has blessed, no devil can destroy. Western Nigeria will be great again
[/size]

[img]http://scontent.cdninstagram.com/t51.2885-15/s640x640/sh0.08/e35/13108565_233925880331930_579423903_n.jpg?ig_cache_key=MTI0ODg5ODE0ODM2OTcxMzQ4Mw%3D%3D.2.l[/img]

64 Likes 5 Shares

Re: Abuja, Ibadan, Port-Harcourt Make Euromonitor Top 10 Fast Growing African Cities by Nobody: 7:55pm On Aug 17, 2016
Where is lagos
Re: Abuja, Ibadan, Port-Harcourt Make Euromonitor Top 10 Fast Growing African Cities by thedarksider: 7:56pm On Aug 17, 2016
let the bashing-e-wars beginn...the 95&%sters aganinst the 5&%sters..

fight!!!!...

8 Likes

Re: Abuja, Ibadan, Port-Harcourt Make Euromonitor Top 10 Fast Growing African Cities by oduastates: 7:57pm On Aug 17, 2016
Ibadan still has untapped potentials

27 Likes 1 Share

Re: Abuja, Ibadan, Port-Harcourt Make Euromonitor Top 10 Fast Growing African Cities by Nobody: 7:57pm On Aug 17, 2016
Where is lagos?
Ambode has lost this one again
Re: Abuja, Ibadan, Port-Harcourt Make Euromonitor Top 10 Fast Growing African Cities by Henrydone: 8:00pm On Aug 17, 2016
Wow two Yoruba city's ranked out of three cheesy cheesy

1.Lagos
2.Ibadan

29 Likes 1 Share

Re: Abuja, Ibadan, Port-Harcourt Make Euromonitor Top 10 Fast Growing African Cities by tobtap: 8:07pm On Aug 17, 2016
IBADAN HAS GREAT POTENTIALS....

26 Likes

Re: Abuja, Ibadan, Port-Harcourt Make Euromonitor Top 10 Fast Growing African Cities by Nobody: 8:14pm On Aug 17, 2016
Abuja and Portharcourt. I agree.

Ibadan, not sure.

2 Likes

Re: Abuja, Ibadan, Port-Harcourt Make Euromonitor Top 10 Fast Growing African Cities by seunny4lif(m): 8:17pm On Aug 17, 2016
grin grin
SW
Another one grin grin grin
Why always Yoruba cities
Yoruba cities making us proud since the days of Oduduwa

40 Likes 5 Shares

Re: Abuja, Ibadan, Port-Harcourt Make Euromonitor Top 10 Fast Growing African Cities by Karm16: 8:20pm On Aug 17, 2016
Scholes00:
Where are the IPOBIAN cities of Aba and Onitsha, the fastest growing cities on earth according to Igonomics and Igbotic statistics? grin

Please we're talking international stats and recognition, not Biafran Radio propaganda cheesy

41 Likes 6 Shares

Re: Abuja, Ibadan, Port-Harcourt Make Euromonitor Top 10 Fast Growing African Cities by Karm16: 8:25pm On Aug 17, 2016
Naughtysite:
Abuja and Portharcourt. I agree.

Ibadan, not sure.

Ipodian spotted. grin
When I tell y'all to stop listening to propaganda by Radio Biafra, you dey spit sh!t from mouth.

43 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Abuja, Ibadan, Port-Harcourt Make Euromonitor Top 10 Fast Growing African Cities by Nobody: 8:26pm On Aug 17, 2016
Henrydone:
Wow two Yoruba city's ranked out of three cheesy cheesy

1.Lagos
2.Ibadan

Where was Lagos mentioned ?

3 Likes

Re: Abuja, Ibadan, Port-Harcourt Make Euromonitor Top 10 Fast Growing African Cities by Nobody: 8:30pm On Aug 17, 2016
Karm16:

Ipodian spotted. grin
When I tell y'all to stop listening to propaganda by Radio Biafra, you dey spit sh!t from mouth.

Pls dont address me by that word, Ipob. I find it derogatory.

You and i know Abuja and Port harcout have potentials for expansion. PH being an oil city. Abj being the Nation's capital. Can you please grant me an insight into the driving force that will propel Ibadan into being a fast growing city aside population explosion and being a thoroughfare city linking Abuja to Lagos ?

What are the economic potentials of Ibadan Vis a viz Abuja and Portharcourt ?

4 Likes

Re: Abuja, Ibadan, Port-Harcourt Make Euromonitor Top 10 Fast Growing African Cities by Karm16: 8:32pm On Aug 17, 2016
Who doesn't know that ibadan, West Africa's largest city, has higher consumer spending than PH?

In terms of population and land mass, Ibadan wins hand down.

If you break this country apart, we know who go suffer. The people wey dey sell fake pangolo upadan the SW won't have the consumers they need.

#WesternNigeria

20 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Abuja, Ibadan, Port-Harcourt Make Euromonitor Top 10 Fast Growing African Cities by markDM: 8:35pm On Aug 17, 2016
madridguy:
Change don happen for Ibadan.

1 Like

Re: Abuja, Ibadan, Port-Harcourt Make Euromonitor Top 10 Fast Growing African Cities by Jalubarika(m): 8:35pm On Aug 17, 2016
Ibadan shouldn't be on this List. I'm presently in Ibadan and I'm pissed.
1. The Literacy level is not encouraging .
2. So much pressure on the infrastructures, e.g. Olorunsogo--Amuloko axis.
3. The pictures representing Ibadan on this thread had been existing even before my Dad was born. Mapo Hall and Ibá Mapo
4. Ibadan is not fast growing because religion has crippled their reasoning for Development. They look contented without development, so what the need?
Many Ibadan guys on NL can attest to this.
Note; I'm from Ibadan

13 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Abuja, Ibadan, Port-Harcourt Make Euromonitor Top 10 Fast Growing African Cities by hizaya61(m): 8:37pm On Aug 17, 2016
Brb
Re: Abuja, Ibadan, Port-Harcourt Make Euromonitor Top 10 Fast Growing African Cities by striker9(m): 8:37pm On Aug 17, 2016
SonofDevil:
No this is complete thrash,
I doubt the credibility of these news

anambra exports $5million, ugu every month,

Onitsha is the industrial hub of nigeria

Ogbete market is home to raw Feaces for manure

Ibadan is a brown roof city which is not economic viable should not be on that list
lmao

6 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

Lady Takes A Daring Selfie Aboard A Flying Glider Plane - PICS / Tipper Crushes Father Of 30 Children To Death In Kogi (Graphic) / Mecca, Washington DC And Some No-fly Zones In The World.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 32
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.