Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,149,888 members, 7,806,575 topics. Date: Tuesday, 23 April 2024 at 06:28 PM

"Safou" Is The Correct Name Of This Nigerian Pear - Food (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Food / "Safou" Is The Correct Name Of This Nigerian Pear (47704 Views)

Pls Where Can I Find Avocado (pear) Plantation Or Where Can I Buy It In Bulk / This Nigerian Man Has Masters Degree In Eating (Photos, Video) / We Bet N30K That You Can't Give The Correct English Name Of This. Try Yours.... (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: "Safou" Is The Correct Name Of This Nigerian Pear by Babalegba(m): 12:48pm On Aug 18, 2016
It is called aubergine in the UK
Re: "Safou" Is The Correct Name Of This Nigerian Pear by mamawin(f): 1:01pm On Aug 18, 2016
9jatatafo:

I Love That Mr Bones
you can say that again.
Re: "Safou" Is The Correct Name Of This Nigerian Pear by mamawin(f): 1:04pm On Aug 18, 2016
Babalegba:
no, aubergine is bigger and longer
Re: "Safou" Is The Correct Name Of This Nigerian Pear by ChemicalReaction(f): 1:05pm On Aug 18, 2016
Spells:
Just the way we still call phcn nepa.... The name of pear will still b pear
It's now PHED.
Re: "Safou" Is The Correct Name Of This Nigerian Pear by williamdeluxe(m): 1:06pm On Aug 18, 2016
itz called "ohun" in bini
Re: "Safou" Is The Correct Name Of This Nigerian Pear by Spells(m): 1:08pm On Aug 18, 2016
ChemicalReaction:
It's now PHED.
What's the full meaning of PHED?
Re: "Safou" Is The Correct Name Of This Nigerian Pear by ChemicalReaction(f): 1:21pm On Aug 18, 2016
Spells:
What's the full meaning of PHED?
Power Holding Electricity Distribution Company or so..
Re: "Safou" Is The Correct Name Of This Nigerian Pear by Spells(m): 1:24pm On Aug 18, 2016
ChemicalReaction:
Power Holding Electricity Distribution Company or so..
Thanks... I appreciate
Re: "Safou" Is The Correct Name Of This Nigerian Pear by Dbeze: 1:28pm On Aug 18, 2016
jaymejate:
All things for naija de get 'bush' as prefix.
Bush meat
Buah rat
Bush boy
Bush girl
Bush president
And this one now they have named it Bush pear
I kn who be bush president, his other name is dog too
Re: "Safou" Is The Correct Name Of This Nigerian Pear by Moz22: 1:37pm On Aug 18, 2016
jaymejate:
All things for naija de get 'bush' as prefix.
Bush meat
Buah rat
Bush boy
Bush girl
Bush president
And this one now they have named it Bush pear
are we not bush people?
Re: "Safou" Is The Correct Name Of This Nigerian Pear by lilreese: 1:54pm On Aug 18, 2016
Pearss
Re: "Safou" Is The Correct Name Of This Nigerian Pear by ninovandross(m): 1:54pm On Aug 18, 2016
just imagine say "safou" means sex in the sales persons language
and u go dey tell am pls gve me some delicious safou
Re: "Safou" Is The Correct Name Of This Nigerian Pear by Nobody: 1:59pm On Aug 18, 2016
jmoore:

same in Igbo.
And yet they say SS are not Biafrans! Hmmmm undecided
Re: "Safou" Is The Correct Name Of This Nigerian Pear by IyfeNamikaze(m): 2:30pm On Aug 18, 2016
coldsummer:
[size=18pt]UBE in Idoma[/size]

idoma? that's what we call it in Igbo land
Re: "Safou" Is The Correct Name Of This Nigerian Pear by Stevosty: 2:35pm On Aug 18, 2016
Olumu
Re: "Safou" Is The Correct Name Of This Nigerian Pear by 9jatatafo(m): 2:54pm On Aug 18, 2016
mamawin:
you can say that again.
I am always laugh seeing Mr Bones doing his crazy and funny things.
Re: "Safou" Is The Correct Name Of This Nigerian Pear by Nobody: 3:19pm On Aug 18, 2016
kindredspirit:
It's "NSAFU" not " Safou".

Might as well spell it correctly if you don't want us to call it UBE or PEAR.
it is spelled safou, it is also referred to as Nsafu in some publications, neither of us is wrong
Re: "Safou" Is The Correct Name Of This Nigerian Pear by kindredspirit(m): 3:29pm On Aug 18, 2016
bestestgirl:
it is spelled safou, it is also referred to as Nsafu in some publications, neither of us is wrong

Okay. You're right.
Re: "Safou" Is The Correct Name Of This Nigerian Pear by Princepoint(m): 4:15pm On Aug 18, 2016
vvv
Re: "Safou" Is The Correct Name Of This Nigerian Pear by eemjay(f): 7:32pm On Aug 18, 2016
Dacryodes edulis or safou is a fruit tree native to Africa, sometimes called Atanga (Gabon), Ube (Nigeria), African or bush pear or plum, Nsafu, bush butter tree, or butterfruit. Source- Google
Re: "Safou" Is The Correct Name Of This Nigerian Pear by tplacid: 8:28pm On Aug 18, 2016
[quote author=jmoore post=48585417]
same in Igbo. [/quote

Same in Yoruba
Re: "Safou" Is The Correct Name Of This Nigerian Pear by aalangel(f): 9:55pm On Aug 18, 2016
When we training on diction those days, we were told the correct pronunciation of cucumber. I tried it with a fruit seller....

.....she didn't even answer me.
Re: "Safou" Is The Correct Name Of This Nigerian Pear by aalangel(f): 9:55pm On Aug 18, 2016
When we training on diction those days, we were told the correct pronunciation of cucumber. I tried it with a fruit seller....

.....she didn't even answer me.
Re: "Safou" Is The Correct Name Of This Nigerian Pear by aristocratic(m): 12:17am On Aug 19, 2016
jmoore:

same in Igbo.

Same in Ebira
Re: "Safou" Is The Correct Name Of This Nigerian Pear by charlsecy(m): 4:53am On Aug 19, 2016
osjoshua:
pear and corn
Good, but I recommend you also try groundnut and corn.
Re: "Safou" Is The Correct Name Of This Nigerian Pear by JoseRaji(m): 2:36pm On Aug 19, 2016
are we eating the name?

1 Like

Re: "Safou" Is The Correct Name Of This Nigerian Pear by Nobody: 6:39pm On Aug 19, 2016
cyprex:
Whatever the botanical name is, is not my problem.
This fruit is 'UBE'. it has its origin in Africa especially Eastern Nigeria. some part of South South, Kogi and Benue parts of Nigeria also have it.

It may have other localized names but the most accepted name is UBE and that is what we must promote. Oyibo should not prescribe the name we give to our local fruits.

So next time you stop to buy this local delicacy say 'Madam give me UBE & CORN

Beautiful post
Thank you!!!
Re: "Safou" Is The Correct Name Of This Nigerian Pear by charlsecy(m): 5:35pm On Aug 22, 2016
Babalegba:
Not really. Aubergine is another fruit altogether.

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Bush Meat Versus Chicken? / ABCs Of Cake Making / Why Is My Fondant Breaking?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 16
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.