Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,773 members, 7,802,371 topics. Date: Friday, 19 April 2024 at 01:10 PM

Just Doesn’t Taste Like Moi Moi! - Food - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Food / Just Doesn’t Taste Like Moi Moi! (19979 Views)

My Disastrous Experience Making Moi-moi / Pls What Else Can I Use To Grind Beans For Moi Moi Apart From Grinding Machine? / Thai Cook Fries Chicken With His BARE Hands, Doesn’t Get Burned!!! (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply) (Go Down)

Just Doesn’t Taste Like Moi Moi! by Potu(m): 4:59am On Sep 28, 2009
I recently learned black-eyed bean is available in powdered form; so I decided to make some moi moi.  The last time I had some was more than fifteen years ago.  I went to the Italian market for some fresh ingredients (tomatoes, onions, eggs, flank steak, chicken breast, dried salmon, etc).  After that I went to the Spanish store and got my powdered beans.  I know moi moi is cooked; wrapped in some type of leave but for the life of me, I can’t remember what the leave is called.  Anyway, I greased some Pyrex glass dishes with virgin olive oil, loaded the dishes with my moi moi paste, and steamed everything in a large vat for two hours.  I am certain all the ingredients were of the highest quality and the nutrients were balanced.
Somebody help me: It did not even taste like moi moi; it tasted terrible.    Life in the US of A is no longer fun: I think I need my mother.
Re: Just Doesn’t Taste Like Moi Moi! by VENUSS(f): 9:55am On Sep 28, 2009
Mix d powder wit warm water,blend onions nd red pepper,boild egg cut to bits, fish, salt nd oda seasonin put paste in plastic wrap nd tie. Put in boiln water 4 1hr.30mins.note d paste shuld nt b too thick nor watery. U can also use bakin pan smal size. Put little water in ur pot n check d water frequently,Add more wen nid be.
Re: Just Doesn’t Taste Like Moi Moi! by Potu(m): 11:38am On Sep 28, 2009
VENUSS:

Mix d powder wit warm water,blend onions nd red pepper,boild egg cut to bits, fish, salt nd oda seasonin put paste in plastic wrap nd tie. Put in boiln water 4 1hr.30mins.note d paste shuld nt b too thick nor watery. U can also use bakin pan smal size. Put little water in your pot n check d water frequently,Add more wen nid be.

Mighty kind of you; thanks!
I will give your suggestions a try. I celebrated my failed attempt at Four Season’s Hotel with a plate of filet mignon. . I guess the moi moi thing was just an episode of nostalgia.
Re: Just Doesn’t Taste Like Moi Moi! by chiejik(f): 12:57pm On Sep 28, 2009
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Mix d powder wit warm water,blend onions nd red pepper,boild egg cut to bits, fish, salt nd oda seasonin put paste in plastic wrap nd tie. Put in boiln water 4 1hr.30mins.note d paste shuld nt b too thick nor watery. U can also use bakin pan smal size. Put little water in your pot n check d water frequently,Add more wen nid be.

seconded not too much water
Re: Just Doesn’t Taste Like Moi Moi! by Nobody: 3:54pm On Sep 28, 2009
tomatoes and steak dont go in moinmoin btw. Pepper is better. Boiled eggs, diced liver and fresh fish are acceptable though of course nothing wrong with experimenting.

They used to sell that powdered stuff in Nigeria- it was rather nasty when my dad tried it too.

I'd much rather stick to fresh ingredients and grind the beans in the blender.
Re: Just Doesn’t Taste Like Moi Moi! by dominique(f): 5:02pm On Sep 28, 2009
We tried d powdered beans too and it just wasnt the same

@poster
why not get the beans in the original form, remove the coat and allow it to soak for about an hour before blending. If you have to use the grounded beans powder, let it soak for about an hr before mixing the ingredients. I dont think u cn get those leaves outside south western Nigeria, but you can still get that great moimoi taste though wink
Re: Just Doesn’t Taste Like Moi Moi! by koolchicco: 5:58pm On Sep 28, 2009
@OP

You did wat?. ."greased some Pyrex glass dishes",for Moi Moi? shocked shocked

Bia,I Hope You're not a [i]wo[/i]man otherwise I would've recommended some 100 strokes of Cain 4 u.
Re: Just Doesn’t Taste Like Moi Moi! by moreshow(m): 6:16pm On Sep 28, 2009
GO learn am well for cathering school, lol
Re: Just Doesn’t Taste Like Moi Moi! by mamagee6(f): 6:38pm On Sep 28, 2009
I hate moi moi so I don't care[/color][color=#990000][/color][color=#990000][/color][color=#990000][/color][color=#990000][/color][color=#990000][/color][color=#990000][/color][color=#990000][/color][color=#990000][/color][color=#990000]. undecided
Re: Just Doesn’t Taste Like Moi Moi! by ZUBBYNWA(m): 6:42pm On Sep 28, 2009
old mama like you, you dont kown how to cook,it didi not taste like moi moi be say you don't kown how to cook it,better go and learn it

1 Like

Re: Just Doesn’t Taste Like Moi Moi! by grafikdon: 6:43pm On Sep 28, 2009
Potu this is going to be a bit lengthy but it is helpful. I am not sure I'd recommend "powdered beans". Why not use the real thing? Go to any African store and pick up the African black eyed peas, make sure it is either the big white peas with the small "black eye'' or the brown version. Stay away from the Mexican or the American black eyed peas if you don't want to spend a century getting the skin out. Those are good for good ol mamaput rise and beans.

Back to the process; I know a lot of folks run away from moi moi or resort to "powder'' because of the hassles involved in taking off the skin. This hassle is reduced by using the "African pea". Pour the African peas right away in a bowl or whatever you want to use. Throw in some warm water and start  ''massaging''. Do not soak it overnight (very unnecessary) and do not "grind'' the dry peas. Just pour 'em out and start massaging with warm water. You will get rid of the skin in less than 20 minutes. Put your blender to work. Don't just crack it, blend it very well.

Here the tricky part. You will end up with a thick paste, depending on the amount of water you added while blending. Use the thick paste undiluted if you want to choke while eating your moi moi. But if you want to eat your food in peace and harmony, ''dilute the paste", it should be somewhere between thick and watery. Pour in some vegetable or corn oil (Don't overdo it, use your discretion), blend the big fat red non spicy pepper  (the more the better, but use your discretion) add some "ingredients like" maggi or crafish. Note that crayfish is optional (too much can seriously alter the taste). Keep some boiled eggs handy, if you are an egg person. Wrap in plastic foils and drop them in a pot of boiling water. You have between 1/12 - 2 hrs to get the pot off the stove. Food is ready, enjoy with whatever catches your fancy.

Like someone said, stay away from tomatoes, steaks, fish etc. . . these things immensely distort the taste of moi moi. Sure you can add them but bear in mind you are no longer ''moi moi". Trust me, moi moi doesn't need half of the ingredients that people dump inside it.
Re: Just Doesn’t Taste Like Moi Moi! by nana(f): 6:47pm On Sep 28, 2009
It didn' taste like moin moin becos u didn't use the real beans.
Tomato is a no-no when making moin moin. Not sure about the steak. The most essential ingredient used in moin moin is Onion.
U used a pyrex glass dish That's a no-no as well. Instead of using the pyrex dish,use the disposable foil dish restaurants used for take aways.

*Eyah,how ironic is it that I made some moin moin with the leaves u're talking about*
Re: Just Doesn’t Taste Like Moi Moi! by Nobody: 6:54pm On Sep 28, 2009
OFF TOPIC: PLEASE I HAVE AN IMPORTANT INFORMATION I WANT TO POST ON NAIRALAND FOR NIGERIANS TO SEE. CAN ANYBODY KINDLY TELL ME HOW TO POST IT. THANKS FOR YOUR HELP.
Re: Just Doesn’t Taste Like Moi Moi! by Sholeyb: 6:56pm On Sep 28, 2009
I use the powdered thing quite regularly and it tastes like moin moin to me, however you can get already peeled beans to buy in stores. I live in the UK but not sure of the availabilty in the USA.
Re: Just Doesn’t Taste Like Moi Moi! by MUNEER2(m): 6:58pm On Sep 28, 2009
Potu:

Life in the US of A is no longer fun: I think I need my mother.

Really, i should think so too, may yyou could go to the chinesse market to get yourself a good cook, lol,

I've got no idea, cos i know you are definately a lady, ha, i fear o grin
Re: Just Doesn’t Taste Like Moi Moi! by koolchicco: 7:06pm On Sep 28, 2009
^^Did I hear u say the Poster is a Lady? lipsrsealed
Hmm,Oya lie down make I flog u well well. tongue cheesy
Re: Just Doesn’t Taste Like Moi Moi! by Okejazz(m): 7:09pm On Sep 28, 2009
Pyrex dishes?

Pls. use plastic bags/foil or even aluminum wrap/foil as substitute.
Re: Just Doesn’t Taste Like Moi Moi! by McDoe(m): 7:21pm On Sep 28, 2009
Be prepared to release unwanted gases after the meal. I like the meal sha.
Re: Just Doesn’t Taste Like Moi Moi! by VENUSS(f): 7:24pm On Sep 28, 2009
@all is coat of d bean powder already off. Or de just grind nd pak. Ma mum use 2 take d pain 2 prepare d powder 4 my brother nd i 4 school. I cook nd give hm his share taste gud.got tired nd ask him 2 cook , he gave me stone 4 moi moi.
Re: Just Doesn’t Taste Like Moi Moi! by Nobody: 7:47pm On Sep 28, 2009
@ OP , the powered beans is not much use for moin moin it's much better for akara. To get the real deal you gotta use fresh ingredients
Re: Just Doesn’t Taste Like Moi Moi! by MUNEER2(m): 8:01pm On Sep 28, 2009
naijababe:

@ OP , the powered beans is not much use for moin moin it's much better for akara. To get the real deal you gotta use fresh ingredients

Correct grin, learn from her experience cheesy
Re: Just Doesn’t Taste Like Moi Moi! by oge4real(f): 8:08pm On Sep 28, 2009
Powdered beans is a not so good for moi moi, also, too much ingredients end up altering the original taste.
Re: Just Doesn’t Taste Like Moi Moi! by Potu(m): 8:23pm On Sep 28, 2009
MUNEER2:

yyou could go to the chinesse market to get yourself a good cook, lol,
I've got no idea, cos i know you are definately a lady, ha, i fear o grin

Sorry, I did not mean to hurt your feelings or allude in any respect that mother is a maid. Rather, it is her missing value that I lament. Incidentally, I am very much a man, and maybe I should try the African market for a good cook.
Re: Just Doesn’t Taste Like Moi Moi! by Potu(m): 8:27pm On Sep 28, 2009
tpia.:

tomatoes and steak dont go in moinmoin btw. Pepper is better. Boiled eggs, diced liver and fresh fish are acceptable though of course nothing wrong with experimenting.

They used to sell that powdered stuff in Nigeria- it was rather nasty when my dad tried it too.

I'd much rather stick to fresh ingredients and grind the beans in the blender.

Wow, I did not know that! Thanks a million
Re: Just Doesn’t Taste Like Moi Moi! by finemocha(f): 8:32pm On Sep 28, 2009
i have tried so many times to make moimoi in the US but it always turns out horrible. i wish i was back in lagos where we would carry our beans to the professional grinder who would grind it for us perfectly.
Re: Just Doesn’t Taste Like Moi Moi! by nigboy(m): 8:34pm On Sep 28, 2009
Is there a standard for preparing Moi Moi
Re: Just Doesn’t Taste Like Moi Moi! by Potu(m): 8:34pm On Sep 28, 2009
Oh mine,

I have gotten so many wonderful responses and I am so grateful to you all. A picture of what I did wrong is emerging. In fact, I did everything wrong; what is emerging is a picture of what I should have done. No tomatoes, no Pyrex dishes, no steak, a carefully selected bean powder or bean powder made from scratch. You guys are great, please keep it coming!
Re: Just Doesn’t Taste Like Moi Moi! by Potu(m): 8:42pm On Sep 28, 2009
grafikdon:

Potu this is going to be a bit lengthy but it is helpful. I am not sure I'd recommend "powdered beans". Why not use the real thing?
Trust me, moi moi doesn't need half of the ingredients that people dump inside it.

I am very grateful. Thank you very much
Re: Just Doesn’t Taste Like Moi Moi! by Potu(m): 8:47pm On Sep 28, 2009
koolchicco:

^^Did I hear u say the Poster is a Lady? lipsrsealed
Hmm,Oya lie down make I flog u well well. tongue cheesy

Did you say flog?

I love being flogged provided the flogging is done by a woman.

Sorry, I am a man, very much a man!
Re: Just Doesn’t Taste Like Moi Moi! by koolchicco: 8:53pm On Sep 28, 2009
Potu:

Did you say flog?

I love being flogged provided the flogging is done by a woman.

Sorry, I am a man, very much a man!

Ok U're forgiven,now Go and Cook no More! tongue grin
Re: Just Doesn’t Taste Like Moi Moi! by Donvilo(m): 10:37pm On Sep 28, 2009
Infact, I must learn how to make this moi moi myself. It's being long since I last tasted it tongue tongue
Re: Just Doesn’t Taste Like Moi Moi! by Nobody: 10:40pm On Sep 28, 2009
I'd rather you use the brown beans not the white black eyed ones. It's hard to get the skin off the white ones.

In place of moi moi leaves, I preserve tomato sauce tin/cans or use aluminium foil and make it into a pocket or purse.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply)

What's Your Favourite Biscuit? / Indomie Noodles Made In Nigeria Are Safe For Consumption ― NAFDAC / See How To Make The Best And Tastiest Meat Pies At Home (photos,video)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 52
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.