Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,551 members, 7,809,017 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 09:08 PM

Onitsha Shoprite Idles Away - Business (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Business / Onitsha Shoprite Idles Away (47749 Views)

Onitsha Shoprite Hit By Black Friday- Pictures / Inside Onitsha Shoprite: See What I Saw / Exclusive Pictures From Onitsha Shoprite Opening;as Obiano Leads First Shoppers (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Onitsha Shoprite Idles Away by Hadeyeancah(m): 8:55pm On Aug 18, 2016
HungerBAD:
Lol.

Setting up a Shoprite in Onitsha,is like trying to sell water to the people of Bayelsa State(Bayelsa is covered by water),or trying to out drink an Urhobo man in a drinking competition or even trying to play an Ibo man Wayo.

Re: Onitsha Shoprite Idles Away by Nobody: 8:56pm On Aug 18, 2016
Maybe they suould relocate it to "okwusu junction"
Re: Onitsha Shoprite Idles Away by AreaFada2: 8:56pm On Aug 18, 2016
Very funny to site Shoprite in Onitsha.

It is a business town that offers everything fairly cheap.
It is also not like Owerri or Enugu with many schools that has thousands of Ajebutter students.

So who will buy at those outrageous prices?
Re: Onitsha Shoprite Idles Away by Abiagirl777(f): 8:57pm On Aug 18, 2016
Hungerbad bayelsa has the worst when it comes to drinking water,I remember 2008 I paid 30# for 1 gallon of water for bathing,good drinking water is as costly as Naija kerosene.
Re: Onitsha Shoprite Idles Away by tinsel: 8:59pm On Aug 18, 2016
Chukzyfcb:
crap crap crap. the mall isn't booming now is as a result of the economy, its affecting the purchasing power of the people. come to lag, cold stone ice cream and dominos pizza wey people dey rush wellaz before every weekend. these days their fast food outlets has been looking like a shadow of its former self. dont believed this crap written here, low patronage is something affecting the whole nation. peoples purchasing power has been eroded these past months. look around you and you will tell for urself #fear the news media ooooo
No shopping mall can survive in Onitsha as far we still have main market and other markets.
Re: Onitsha Shoprite Idles Away by Montaque(m): 8:59pm On Aug 18, 2016
YonkijiSappo:

The richest city in Africa can't even keep a single shoprite branch outlet Afloat? lipsrsealed LMAO
Even the ones in Akure, Ibadan and Ilorin are thriving, not to mention the numerous outlets in Lagos.
I always tell Nigerians, Igbos are more into informal and unregistered economy, any attempt to bring regulation, formalisation and order to any Igbo dominated venture or towns will fail woefully.
You missed the enugu outlet, why is it thriving still? Or is enugu not an ibo state.
The point is that onitsha has many markets (49 regular markets at last count), so any such enterprise like a mall, plaza, call it shoprite or walmart will have little or low patronage. That's onitsha for u.

6 Likes

Re: Onitsha Shoprite Idles Away by glossy6(f): 8:59pm On Aug 18, 2016
Joe4lv:
Onitsha will crumble finally when Asaba shoprite goes live y December. Thank God they have stop work at Nnewi's shoprite which is located at the worst place such thing should be.

I wonder who did the business consultation for Onitsha and Nnewi's shoprite. They are ill advised and so will later fold up.

So dem don stop the Nnewi mall ehn? But why?

1 Like

Re: Onitsha Shoprite Idles Away by Abiagirl777(f): 9:01pm On Aug 18, 2016
Hungerbad bayelsa has the worst when it comes to drinking water,I remember 2008 I paid 30# for 1 gallon of water for bathing,good drinking water is as costly as Naija kerosene.I ran home to owerri 2 days later when after I ate egusi soup in a restaurant,the seller said she's been looking for water,which kain joke be did? I
Just like Aba/umuahia,anything mall will be dead on arrival,not when you can get it cheaper elsewhere.
Re: Onitsha Shoprite Idles Away by YonkijiSappo: 9:01pm On Aug 18, 2016
Montaque:

You missed the enugu outlet, why is it thriving still? Or is enugu not an ibo state.
The point is that onitsha has many markets (49 regular markets at last count), so any such enterprise like a mall, plaza, call it shoprite or walmart will have little or low patronage. That's onitsha for u.

We are saying the same thing in different ways.
The Aba Mega Mall in Abia is also bound to fail. You know why? It is an attempt to formalize trade in Aba, and the average Ariaria trader will never leave street trading for some megamall somewhere in a corner.
Same thing is at play here in Onitsha. Enugu and Owerri malls have more hope because they are not market cities.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Onitsha Shoprite Idles Away by shuggah(m): 9:03pm On Aug 18, 2016
YonkijiSappo:

The richest city in Africa can't even keep a single shoprite branch outlet Afloat? lipsrsealed LMAO
Even the ones in Akure, Ibadan and Ilorin are thriving, not to mention the numerous outlets in Lagos.
I always tell Nigerians, Igbos are more into informal and unregistered economy, any attempt to bring regulation, formalisation and order to any Igbo dominated venture or towns will fail woefully.
hollup hollup....lemme ask u a simple question
a joywave dual pc gamepad sells for 3500 at shoprite onitsha without warranty or repairs while my customer ugwu sells d same pad for 2k and will still help me fix it if it has any fault due to usage....so should i buy from shoprite or ugwu?

2 Likes

Re: Onitsha Shoprite Idles Away by Chigold101(m): 9:03pm On Aug 18, 2016
Joe4lv:
Onitsha will crumble finally when Asaba shoprite goes live y December. Thank God they have stop work at Nnewi's shoprite which is located at the worst place such thing should be.

I wonder who did the business consultation for Onitsha and Nnewi's shoprite. They are ill advised and so will later fold up.
lolzzz
Whoever that wrote this trash had not been to Onitsha shoprite before.
If i had seen this bull.poo around 3pm. I would have taken pictures of people almost fighting cos of que just to buy bread.
Onitsha shoprite shuts their doors and stop people from going in almost every sunday cos of over crowd.
If this writer had said ONITSHA MALL idles away, i wouldhave said he is right.
Cos right now, apart from few businesses like Kilimanjaro, Blueribbon, SLOT, Priceless etc. Most of the shops are yet to be taken.
Bros, take a walk to shoprite anyday especially weekend, u will have a different mindset. This writeup is trashy bull.poo & filled with mis information.

16 Likes 1 Share

Re: Onitsha Shoprite Idles Away by Yorubanews: 9:05pm On Aug 18, 2016
[size=18pt]What a waste.

That's why businesses don't move to the SE. [/size]

6 Likes

Re: Onitsha Shoprite Idles Away by YonkijiSappo: 9:05pm On Aug 18, 2016
shuggah:

hollup hollup....lemme ask u a simple question
a joywave dual pc gamepad sells for 3500 at shoprite onitsha without warranty or repairs while my customer ugwu sells d same pad for 2k and will still help me fix it if it has any fault due to usage....so should i buy from shoprite or ugwu?

That is not how buying in luxury stores and formal retailing centres work.

2 Likes

Re: Onitsha Shoprite Idles Away by peeparty(m): 9:06pm On Aug 18, 2016

If they can slash their price just to remain in the race, that will be better.. survival is the game.

Re: Onitsha Shoprite Idles Away by satowind(m): 9:06pm On Aug 18, 2016
grin
HarkymTheOracle:
Ipobians no get money na.. drug no dey pay again..dem don almost catch dem finish.. dat full wey dem full d shoprite wen dem just open am na for Selfie and picture.. Igbo kwenu!!! grin
Afo ebot are u sure u read the news? Wetin concern drug and de fact that dere is market everywhere. If igbo no get money I wonder who dash lazy yoruba people money...be wise

5 Likes

Re: Onitsha Shoprite Idles Away by Chukzyfcb(m): 9:08pm On Aug 18, 2016
tinsel:

No shopping mall can survive in Onitsha as far we still have main market and other markets.
bug lie BRI. nigerians are that set of people that like to show off. if you sell a shoe worth 3000 at main market , if a customer sees that same shoe in a well tushed boutique packaged wellaz, he will buy the shoe for way higher price and brand your own as counterfeit. that's how Nigeria are irrespective of the tribe. and the typical igbo Boi or girl likes to show off. i am telling you the reason why that place may be empty now is because of the way economy is. people are getting poorer not that osha main market is stealing customers

2 Likes

Re: Onitsha Shoprite Idles Away by Decryptor(m): 9:09pm On Aug 18, 2016
Hehehehehe! I'm not surprised! We are Anambrans. Things like Shoprite no dey freak us cos there are big supermarkets all over Onitsha alone where you get all you want. Whatever South Africa brings into Nigeria to Shoprite, an Anambra man has it already in his backyard.

Unlike the zone of the popular e-warriors here on NL who are lazy and get over-excited over the mere sight of Sneakers Chocolate Bar.

3 Likes

Re: Onitsha Shoprite Idles Away by Fenzyflames: 9:12pm On Aug 18, 2016
YonkijiSappo:

I always tell Nigerians, Igbos are more into informal and unregistered economy. Any attempt to bring regulation, formalisation and order to any Igbo dominated venture or towns , and only two things can happen:

*- Such effort will fail woefully, and they will continue with their "wuruwuru"/clandestine trading style.
*- The so called rich businessman will suddenly become poorer than a church rat.
na kidney u de use de think? Cuz simple economics u no sabi
Re: Onitsha Shoprite Idles Away by highmood(m): 9:13pm On Aug 18, 2016
HungerBAD:
Lol.

Setting up a Shoprite in Onitsha,is like trying to sell water to the people of Bayelsa State(Bayelsa is covered by water),or trying to out drink an Urhobo man in a drinking competition or even trying to play an Ibo man Wayo.

It is never going to work.

Everything inside the Shoprite,Is manufactured locally behind the Shop rite,but only cheaper.

Shoprite in Onitsha not going to work.
Next time Hungerbad, Do not use Bayrlsa for your this kind of illustration. Bayelsa water I must tell you isn't good to an extent for bathing not to talk of drinking.
Re: Onitsha Shoprite Idles Away by Decryptor(m): 9:13pm On Aug 18, 2016
HarkymTheOracle:
Ipobians no get money na.. drug no dey pay again..dem don almost catch dem finish.. dat full wey dem full d shoprite wen dem just open am na for Selfie and picture.. Igbo kwenu!!! grin

Oya...Receive SENSE IJN!

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Onitsha Shoprite Idles Away by silent10(m): 9:13pm On Aug 18, 2016
HarkymTheOracle:
grin grin grin grin grin

2 Likes

Re: Onitsha Shoprite Idles Away by slap1(m): 9:15pm On Aug 18, 2016
They should open one in Aba. It will have to be turned into a football viewing centre before they make one naira. grin

1 Like

Re: Onitsha Shoprite Idles Away by Rhea(f): 9:16pm On Aug 18, 2016
Why would I go to Shoprite to buy a can of [b]processed [/b]green peas for thousands of naira when I can enter Ose market and buy [b]fresh [/b]peas for a third of that price? Shoprite is there for that mugu that wants to thrill his GF on a date. Besides that, make then carry go
Re: Onitsha Shoprite Idles Away by Chukzyfcb(m): 9:18pm On Aug 18, 2016
Chigold101:
lolzzz
Whoever that wrote this trash had not been to Onitsha shoprite before.
If i had seen this bull.poo around 3pm. I would have taken pictures of people almost fighting cos of que just to buy bread.
Onitsha shoprite shuts their doors and stop people from going in almost every sunday cos of over crowd.
If this writer had said ONITSHA MALL idles away, i wouldhave said he is right.
Cos right now, apart from few businesses like Kilimanjaro, Blueribbon, SLOT, Priceless etc. Most of the shops are yet to be taken.
Bros, take a walk to shoprite anyday especially weekend, u will have a different mindset. This writeup is trashy bull.poo & filled with mis information.
baba no mind them, naira landers have been fond of serving us fake gist. not once not twice only to come back few days later to clear the air. my fellow igbo fellas like to show off and brag. to be seen at such vicinity gan dey hype their moral. economy just bad so business fit slow for now . i fear news media oooooor
Re: Onitsha Shoprite Idles Away by Nobody: 9:19pm On Aug 18, 2016
Investigation has also shown that while the ones in Awka and Nnewi are at different stages of activities, that of Onitsha has remained deserted and a ghost of itself

After reading this part, I knew that this write was trashy. You made no investigation. Because if you had made, you'd know that the Nnewi and Awka shopping malls are still under construction therefore they have no activities as you claimed.

Also, you would have seen and noted that while the entire shopping mall may seem not to be doing so well, the ShopRite is currently enjoying ridiculously high patronage in Onitsha.

You'd also know that part of the reason for the below par economic activity in the shopping mall is due to the abysmal state of Nigeria's economy. How many people can afford electronics and luxury goods these days? Can you afford them?

Next time, research before you write.

2 Likes

Re: Onitsha Shoprite Idles Away by Nobody: 9:20pm On Aug 18, 2016
I am compelled to comment as most of the issues raised does not address the concerns raised by the Op:

- economy is down at the moment
- foreign exchange policy is affecting Shoprite now
- restriction on certain import items is affecting Shoprite.
- prices are competitive like most neighbour stalls/shops in Onitsha.
- mall is badly located
- Peter Obi acquired the land from State. Remember ABS land. He wanted to build 4 star hotel(now abandoned). Useless plan.
- mall could not sell out its space/shops
- food is expensive in the mall, no abacha and coconut.
- poor feasibility studies by Shoprite
- they were attracted because SABMiller has a success story and rent at the mall is cheap.
- a typical Anambra girl is homely and not tripped like their Lagos counterpart over AC and carpark size.
- Obi should bring his NEXT Intl into the mall.

Useless decision and nonsense economy to drive the business.

- checkout Umuahia mall and thank me later.

1 Like

Re: Onitsha Shoprite Idles Away by Mrjo(m): 9:21pm On Aug 18, 2016
lawnreigh:
Your analogy using Bayelsa is flawed, I lived in Bayelsa and I'm telling you that they buy water from Delta and Rivers States. You know why? There water is not healthy for consumption and very hard water which will go through alot of processing because of the toughness nature, so the people of Bayelsa buy water from those States because those States are more on the hinterland than riverine like Bayelsa. In short they import water in Bayelsa, so next time get your facts right bro
nwaanambra1:
imagine what both of u are smoking?

u know nothing bro!

water is the fastest selling commodity in the entire Bayelsa State! cheesy grin
Re: Onitsha Shoprite Idles Away by lonelydora: 9:25pm On Aug 18, 2016
Building Shoprite in a place like Onitsha or Aba is just a waste. They believe there are cheaper markets in the city where goods can be purchased at a lower price. It's just like having a boutique in Aba when you have "Ahia Ohuru" that is " new market" and Ariaria where clothes are sold cheaper.
Re: Onitsha Shoprite Idles Away by NobleRomm(m): 9:27pm On Aug 18, 2016
see crowd even BRT bus/stop no reach dis one.....
Re: Onitsha Shoprite Idles Away by tribalistseun: 9:29pm On Aug 18, 2016
Go to Abuja ShopRite and see if you can count up to 8 people buying
Re: Onitsha Shoprite Idles Away by BabaIbo: 9:31pm On Aug 18, 2016
Integrityfarms:
Trust Anambrarians, no time for doling out extra cash over some items you can get fairly cheaper in nearby shops. Besides Anambrarians don't sped foolishly like ndi owerri who looks unnecessary showmanship and good time!
na only Imo you see mention abi... aturu... that's the reason why you guys are second to them

1 Like

Re: Onitsha Shoprite Idles Away by AmericanQuarter: 9:32pm On Aug 18, 2016
Sponsored report. I was in Onitsha mall last weekend. I took this pix. The mall don't even contain the crowd

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Hair Seller Shows Money From Her Piggy Bank / Obi Cubana Shares Free Branded Rice For Christmas: Pictures & Video / Official Prices Of Drinks By NBL

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 60
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.