Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,707 members, 7,802,121 topics. Date: Friday, 19 April 2024 at 09:26 AM

** Thread For Homeowners And Builders ** - Properties (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Properties / ** Thread For Homeowners And Builders ** (12977 Views)

Partner With Us To Fulfill Our Promises, Amosun Urges Homeowners / DIY Thread - Homeowners And Supliers / What Types Of Slab Is These? To The Civil Engineers And Builders In The Forum. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: ** Thread For Homeowners And Builders ** by erico2k2(m): 10:10pm On Sep 06, 2016
mufutau55:

I think this precast lintel should be simple.. I am sure it's like precast parapets.

1. I think, laid on top of the bricks with mortar and making sure it extended at least 1-2ft if not doing chain lintel.
2. The concrete composition should be same as normal concrete lintel... and it should also have the Y12 rods all built in.

Will it save money? May be...(depends on the cost) and also because there will be no need for carpenter and wood wastage.
But it will save time.. no more waiting for lintel to cure...
But using precast for chain lintel may be a little tricky though.

Let's hear from other Pros too.

Hajji M.
Thats what they do here, problem for us Nigerians in Nigeria would be, weight, how do we lift these heavy pre cast lintels up to the height we need them?
Re: ** Thread For Homeowners And Builders ** by msogunro: 10:31pm On Sep 06, 2016
erico2k2:

Thats what they do here, problem for us Nigerians in Nigeria would be, weight, how do we lift these heavy pre cast lintels up to the height we need them?

Easy with a little bit of man power and blocks laying around on the site.

Lay 3 blocks spaced apart on the ground. Have your laborers lift the lintel on the blocks. Prepare another 3 blocks. Lift 1 side of the lintel and slide 1 block underneath. Lift the other side up and slide another block underneath. Put 1 block in the middle for added support. Continue until the height needed is reached and then lift the lintel into place.

Simple. Could be easier if someone purchased or made a pulley system.
Re: ** Thread For Homeowners And Builders ** by erico2k2(m): 4:57pm On Sep 07, 2016
msogunro:

Easy with a little bit of man power and blocks laying around on the site.

Lay 3 blocks spaced apart on the ground. Have your laborers lift the lintel on the blocks. Prepare another 3 blocks. Lift 1 side of the lintel and slide 1 block underneath. Lift the other side up and slide another block underneath. Put 1 block in the middle for added support. Continue until the height needed is reached and then lift the lintel into place.

Simple. Could be easier if someone purchased or made a pulley system.
a pulley lift system would be better cos with what you are describing how are you going to lift a lintel across two windows length 12 ft and 1 foot thick that nah die ooo
Re: ** Thread For Homeowners And Builders ** by msogunro: 5:14pm On Sep 07, 2016
erico2k2:

a pulley lift system would be better cos with what you are describing how are you going to lift a lintel across two windows length 12 ft and 1 foot thick that nah die ooo

I don't think you understood what I described. You will only need your labor crew to lift the lintel up the height of 1 block at a time. It will take time, but its an option if a pulley system cant be purchased or made.

See the video below.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1Y6_qBIcpsI
Re: ** Thread For Homeowners And Builders ** by msogunro: 5:17pm On Sep 07, 2016
We have brilliant engineers and talented craftsman in Nigeria. I'm sure someone can duplicate this...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8wxrVt0v-nA
Re: ** Thread For Homeowners And Builders ** by Nobody: 7:00pm On Sep 07, 2016
Two men should be able to carry a standard window lintel.

It's only 4" high, made up off only cement and sharp sand, no granite.

Herr Dokkter AbdulWastecx, can you help us do some weight calculations?

Thanks.

1 Like

Re: ** Thread For Homeowners And Builders ** by erico2k2(m): 7:45pm On Sep 07, 2016
EgunMogaji:

Thanks.
Rods?
Granite?
wont it be reinforced as it cars weight on top?
Re: ** Thread For Homeowners And Builders ** by erico2k2(m): 7:46pm On Sep 07, 2016
msogunro:

I don't think you understood what I described. You will only need your labor crew to lift the lintel up the height of 1 block at a time. It will take time, but its an option if a pulley system cant be purchased or made.

See the video below.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1Y6_qBIcpsI
if that timber was concrete lintel would that work? taking its weight into consideration?
Re: ** Thread For Homeowners And Builders ** by Nobody: 9:02pm On Sep 07, 2016
erico2k2:

Rods?
Granite?
wont it be reinforced as it cars weight on top?

We overbuild in Nigeria in an attempt to make up for shortfalls.

No rebar needed for average window lengths but I'm not a pro just stating what I've seen.

http://at-concrete.com/lintels.php

Re: ** Thread For Homeowners And Builders ** by msogunro: 10:33pm On Sep 07, 2016
erico2k2:

if that timber was concrete lintel would that work? taking its weight into consideration?

Yes. If only 1 side needs to be lifted a couple inches at a time, it's possible.

And we're talking about lintels, not beams.
Re: ** Thread For Homeowners And Builders ** by erico2k2(m): 11:05pm On Sep 07, 2016
msogunro:

Yes. If only 1 side needs to be lifted a couple inches at a time, it's possible.

And we're talking about lintels, not beams.
Ok cool, but if the whole lintel needs to be chained to the beams, how does that work
Re: ** Thread For Homeowners And Builders ** by msogunro: 11:18pm On Sep 07, 2016
erico2k2:

Ok cool, but if the whole lintel needs to be chained to the beams, how does that work

Then that's different than what we're talking about. Aren't we talking about door and window lintels??

For a door and window lintel, lifting each side inch by inch to the desired height is possible. It will just take time

If you need monolithic chain lintel, it's impossible to do it as precast. Well, let me not say impossible. I just thought of how.
Re: ** Thread For Homeowners And Builders ** by Nobody: 11:27pm On Sep 07, 2016
erico2k2:

There's a different and simpler process for that since lintel is not part of beam.

Re: ** Thread For Homeowners And Builders ** by true2home(m): 3:37am On Sep 08, 2016
All this methodologies are great in an environment where manufacturing is viable. But some can still be use if it can be made with manual technology. I'm hoping to use Concrete Rings; like for wells; to construct my septic tank. I don't see why it wouldn't work!

Maybe some of our honorable builders can weigh in on my logic

1 Like

Re: ** Thread For Homeowners And Builders ** by mufutau55(m): 3:49am On Sep 08, 2016
true2home:
I'm hoping to use Concrete Rings; like for wells; to construct my septic tank. I don't see why it wouldn't work!

It will work... but then why can't you just use a precast soakaway/septic tank?

Hajji M.
Re: ** Thread For Homeowners And Builders ** by msogunro: 4:17am On Sep 08, 2016
true2home:
All this methodologies are great in an environment where manufacturing is viable. But some can still be use if it can be made with manual technology. I'm hoping to use Concrete Rings; like for wells; to construct my septic tank. I don't see why it wouldn't work!

If only plastic septic tanks were made in Nigeria.

1 Like

Re: ** Thread For Homeowners And Builders ** by true2home(m): 6:08am On Sep 08, 2016
When you say precast, am assuming the once commonly use in Lekki area.... if so, am just thinking to avoid the time wasted casting, mixing concrete, pureeing it in to confine space and finally stripping it. That's just too much work when you can just go down the street, buy few Rings and just install into the ground. if properly done, rings are reinforced during casting which means, its going to be strong to resist lateral force. Just my reasoning out laud

mufutau55:

It will work... but then why can't you just use a precast soakaway/septic tank?

Hajji M.
Re: ** Thread For Homeowners And Builders ** by true2home(m): 6:10am On Sep 08, 2016
that will not be a bad idea for someone already into plastic business. it will have to be high strength plastic and inspected regularly too.

msogunro:

If only plastic septic tanks were made in Nigeria.

Re: ** Thread For Homeowners And Builders ** by erico2k2(m): 6:45am On Sep 08, 2016
true2home:

We already do that in the niger delta due to swampy environment . We used them rings for the septic tank at my Dad's yard..saves space .

1 Like

Re: ** Thread For Homeowners And Builders ** by mufutau55(m): 4:48pm On Sep 08, 2016
true2home:
When you say precast, am assuming the once commonly use in Lekki area.... if so, am just thinking to avoid the time wasted casting, mixing concrete, pureeing it in to confine space and finally stripping it. That's just too much work when you can just go down the street, buy few Rings and just install into the ground. if properly done, rings are reinforced during casting which means, its going to be strong to resist lateral force. Just my reasoning out laud

Yes Same one like the waterlogged area (Lekki) True.. but reinforcement of the bottom is the problem... with the septic, the bottom has to be well sealed.. In the western world, the precast is really done in whole and then they dig the soil and just put it inside the hole.

Hajji M.

1 Like

Re: ** Thread For Homeowners And Builders ** by abdulwastecx(m): 7:07pm On Sep 11, 2016
EgunMogaji:

There's a different and simpler process for that since lintel is not part of beam.

These are great initiated and better/cost effective ways of making lintel

1 Like

Re: ** Thread For Homeowners And Builders ** by abdulwastecx(m): 7:09pm On Sep 11, 2016
EgunMogaji:

Thanks.

I don't think two men can lift that....
Re: ** Thread For Homeowners And Builders ** by Nobody: 7:28pm On Sep 11, 2016
abdulwastecx:

I don't think two men can lift that....

What is the situation of construction lifts on kobokobo building sites in Nigeria?

I know that I've seen them in use in Ghana.
Re: ** Thread For Homeowners And Builders ** by abdulwastecx(m): 7:37pm On Sep 11, 2016
EgunMogaji:

What is the situation of construction lifts on kobokobo building sites in Nigeria?

I know that I've seen them in use in Ghana.

We use local lifting technique here, which may be dangerous...
Re: ** Thread For Homeowners And Builders ** by Nobody: 4:52pm On Sep 12, 2016
One day we'll get there.

Re: ** Thread For Homeowners And Builders ** by abdulwastecx(m): 7:11pm On Sep 13, 2016
EgunMogaji:
One day we'll get there.

We are already there PA egun.. Our built environment is going places.
Re: ** Thread For Homeowners And Builders ** by Nobody: 7:33pm On Sep 13, 2016
abdulwastecx:

We are already there PA egun.. Our built environment is going places.

No, we're not there yet.

Show me a block wall with electricals installed without the blocks broken.

PS: I'm one of your biggest fans but we need to be truthful.

1 Like

Re: ** Thread For Homeowners And Builders ** by mufutau55(m): 1:05am On Sep 14, 2016
EgunMogaji:

No, we're not there yet.
Show me a block wall with electricals installed without the blocks broken.
PS: I'm one of your biggest fans but we need to be truthful.

Read Page 5 of the following thread from Skimanski renovation thread.. he mentioned that all electrical/plumbing were embedded into the wall that was not even build with blocks but with pure concrete... I am sure there may be other buildings that we are not aware here on NL. Most time we are mostly exposed to the building being displayed here on Nairaland, there are thousands/millions of projects we don't see.
So, Yes, the option you mentioned might have been used elsewhere already.

https://www.nairaland.com/3079756/renovation-diary-new-dimension-nigerian/5

Hajji M.
Re: ** Thread For Homeowners And Builders ** by Nobody: 1:07am On Sep 14, 2016
mufutau55:

Read Page 5 of the following thread from Skimanski renovation thread.. he mentioned that all electrical/plumbing were embedded into the wall that was not even build with blocks but with pure concrete... I am sure there may be other buildings that we are not aware here on NL. Most time we are mostly exposed to the building being displayed here on Nairaland, there are thousands/millions of projects we don't see.
So, Yes, the option you mentioned might have been used elsewhere already.

https://www.nairaland.com/3079756/renovation-diary-new-dimension-nigerian/5

Hajji M.

Yes, but we're on Nairaland.

I'm sure that Julius Berger and co are not using pako and bamboo for decking.

Of course there are great builds in Nigeria but I'm specifically talking about Nairaland builders and builds.

I'll wait to see a builder on here build a wall similar specifically, to the one that I showed. Concrete wall is easier to embed plumbing than concrete block wall.

Re: ** Thread For Homeowners And Builders ** by mufutau55(m): 1:12am On Sep 14, 2016
EgunMogaji:

Yes, but we're on Nairaland.
I'm sure that Julius Berger and co are not using pako for decking.
Of course there are great builds in Nigeria but I'm specifically talking about Nairaland builders and builds.
I'll wait to see a builder on here build a wall similar to the one that I showed.

What I am saying is that, there are lots we don't see on Nairaland.
I am sure you are aware that embedding electrical/plumbing into the walls requires a lot of planning, which most of us may not have the finance and patience to go thru. All these has to implemented fright from the foundation, any slight mistake and it's money wasted.
And when it comes to repair or maintenance, it won't be easy o. But it will be a nice option to have.
Personally, for now, they can keep breaking my walls. smiley

Hajji M.
Re: ** Thread For Homeowners And Builders ** by NL1960: 10:31am On Sep 14, 2016
mufutau55:

What I am saying is that, there are lots we don't see on Nairaland.
I am sure you are aware that embedding electrical/plumbing into the walls requires a lot of planning, which most of us may not have the finance and patience to go thru. All these has to implemented fright from the foundation, any slight mistake and it's money wasted.
And when it comes to repair or maintenance, it won't be easy o. But it will be a nice option to have.
Personally, for now, they can keep breaking my walls. smiley

Hajji M.

Oga Egun does not know that poor people like you and me that are doing kobo project that will take sometime to complete cannot afford the luxury of what he is saying. Na big man like him that can afford it from the beginning. My walls were broken several times when i was doing my project.

1 Like

Re: ** Thread For Homeowners And Builders ** by Nobody: 6:54pm On Sep 14, 2016
NL1960:

Oga Egun does not know that poor people like you and me that are doing kobo project that will take sometime to complete cannot afford the luxury of what he is saying. Na big man like him that can afford it from the beginning. My walls were broken several times when i was doing my project.

Why are you celebrating wall breakages? grin

I think someone as detailed as AbdulWastecx can introduce plumbing from the substructure that will go within the walls.

The question I'm asking is why not?

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

THE PEACH PALM ESTATE ABIJO GRA, 97% SOLD OUT! CALL US NOW!! / Luxury 2 Bedroom Apartment In Ikate Lekki, Lagos / Residential Design Plans

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 56
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.