Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,572 members, 7,809,087 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 10:45 PM

Babcock University Set To Graduate Set Of Maiden Doctors - Education (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Babcock University Set To Graduate Set Of Maiden Doctors (15081 Views)

Parents Queue To Attend Graduation In Babcock University (Photos) / Babcock University Student Commits Suicide / Babcock University Graduate Gets Car Gift From His Parents At Convocation (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Babcock University Set To Graduate Set Of Maiden Doctors by drskyfly007(m): 10:30am On Aug 19, 2016
IssyGenius:
my stand hasn't changed, study medicine in good federal school like UCH, LUTH... However, it is impressive they do clinical rotations in foreign countries where they will be exposed to rare clinical cases and astounding healthcare delivery. However, if they begin real clinical practice then we can judge in the next five years if Babcock has churned out good doctors. Good one anyway!
..To be a good doctor is basically a personal decision..The above federal schools are wonderful but I know colleagues who finished from them who are not what you expected and I also know about colleagues from the so called private universities who are excelling..Am talking from experience bro...Due to the harsh economy people are easily annoyed and envious towards anyone or association associated with wealth(in this case expensive Babcock university smiley)

1 Like

Re: Babcock University Set To Graduate Set Of Maiden Doctors by mare23ayo(m): 10:41am On Aug 19, 2016
Proud alumna
Re: Babcock University Set To Graduate Set Of Maiden Doctors by prahcetomi(m): 11:08am On Aug 19, 2016
drskyfly007:
..To be a good doctor is basically a personal decision..The above federal schools are wonderful but I know colleagues who finished from them who are not what you expected and I also know about colleagues from the so called private universities who are excelling..Am talking from experience bro...Due to the harsh economy people are easily annoyed and envious towards anyone or association associated with wealth(in this case expensive Babcock university smiley)
This is one of the few sensible posts on this thread....
Re: Babcock University Set To Graduate Set Of Maiden Doctors by Baboo13(m): 11:45am On Aug 19, 2016
drskyfly007:

Infact you've captured it. There's this sense of annoyance and envy among some Nigerians about private Universities..

I graduated from Unilag, and I tell people, if you can afford it, send your wards to good private universities.

Graduating their 1st set of doctors is a step forward.
Re: Babcock University Set To Graduate Set Of Maiden Doctors by Nobody: 12:17pm On Aug 19, 2016
deedrizzie:
The person that posted that picture just finished the whole discussion... I mean,look at the reception! One thing is basic,I'm a medical student, i respect any doctor anywhere, anytime...but i cannot compare the graduates of MBBS from a federal school (like mine) to one from a private school...for one reason,STRESS!...The number of people in thay reception isn't even up to what we have on a boring day in Family medicine... They don't stress..no wahala...dey just ease through.. And it can't pay them in d real life...trust me...we've seen 'em...worked with 'em...and they ain't it
let us stop deceiving ourselves in public medical schools... who you told we are better of? Is it the high rate of failure in MB exams that will make us a good doctor? will the undue harshness of consultants make us empathic as healthcare professionals?

1 Like

Re: Babcock University Set To Graduate Set Of Maiden Doctors by prahcetomi(m): 12:57pm On Aug 19, 2016
IssyGenius:

let us stop deceiving ourselves in public medical schools... who you told we are better of? Is it the high rate of failure in MB exams that will make us a good doctor? will the undue harshness of consultants make us empathic as healthcare professionals?
Good

1 Like

Re: Babcock University Set To Graduate Set Of Maiden Doctors by prahcetomi(m): 1:00pm On Aug 19, 2016
IssyGenius:

The public medical schools are not better off.I just gained admission to Bingham University,bt I was first against it.I thought public medical schools meant I would be better off,but when I recently saw a doctor that graduated from Igbenedion,doing very fine and highly respected, I made up my mind to accept the admission.I also know I have the potential to be one of the best doctors in Nigeria,regardless of what school I attended.
Re: Babcock University Set To Graduate Set Of Maiden Doctors by Chartey(m): 1:28pm On Aug 19, 2016
Yippsy:

Yes they surely do. Ben carson school of medicine and its on its own
They're two different things.
Re: Babcock University Set To Graduate Set Of Maiden Doctors by Chartey(m): 1:39pm On Aug 19, 2016
danaiks:

Yes it is called BUTH. Just come to the school and see for yourself, so you can stop saying things you don't know angry

I didn't say anything I didn't know. I simply asked a question.
I can see they have a teaching hospital now which is a step in the right direction.
There'll still be many problems.
1. They won't be able to afford as many consultants as there are in Govt hospitals.
2. There's no residency programme so there won't be residents available to do bedside teaching when the consultants are not there (students usually have more contact with residents than consultants)
3. This is a private hospital and patients will pay good money. They won't allow some medical students to touch them anyhow unlike in govt teaching hospitals where students have almost unlimited access to patients. You can't learn medicine well without interacting with patients.
These students will most likely end up like the ones who come back from Ukraine knowing very little and have so much catching-up to do in real practice.
This situation is however nobody's fault. We'll get things right with time.

2 Likes

Re: Babcock University Set To Graduate Set Of Maiden Doctors by Uchpappi: 1:40pm On Aug 19, 2016
drskyfly007:
This simply the best description of reality
Re: Babcock University Set To Graduate Set Of Maiden Doctors by shine12: 1:45pm On Aug 19, 2016
duduade:
But it still bores down to money....

Yes oh that thing controls the world but I choose to rule over it and not money rule over me
Re: Babcock University Set To Graduate Set Of Maiden Doctors by shine12: 1:45pm On Aug 19, 2016
Re: Babcock University Set To Graduate Set Of Maiden Doctors by prahcetomi(m): 2:16pm On Aug 19, 2016
Chartey:

I can see they have a teaching hospital now which is a step in the right direction.
1. They won't be able to afford as many consultants as there are in Govt hospitals.
2. There's no residency programme so there won't be residents available to do bedside teaching when the consultants are not there (students usually have more contact with residents than consultants)
3. This is a private hospital and patients will pay good money. They won't allow some medical students to touch them anyhow unlike in govt teaching hospitals where students have almost unlimited access to patients. You can't learn medicine well without interacting with patients.
These students will most likely end up like the ones who come back from Ukraine knowing very little and have so much catching-up to do in real practice.
Some private universities teaching hospitals do residency programs like BinghamUniversityTeachingHospital.
Re: Babcock University Set To Graduate Set Of Maiden Doctors by JustHere2Observ(f): 2:41pm On Aug 19, 2016
deedrizzie:

No ma'am... I'd rather learn where i can fit in anywhere.. I assure you..after 4yrs in UITH that i can fit in anywhere,work with anyone and be a sucess..because i've learnt to make the best of myself when the conditions weren't the best,I've had to push myself beyond limits to learn pharmacology because i know my father's millions can't buy me promotion to the next level....abt the patient interaction.. We like in Nigeria, we don't have facilities... Imagine a farmer working with blunt tools...u think he's happy??

Well ok, I just believe stress is not a good factor when learning and you dont have to go through stress for you to be able to fit in anywhere in the world. I just hope things change for better for the younger generation.
Re: Babcock University Set To Graduate Set Of Maiden Doctors by deedrizzie: 2:58pm On Aug 19, 2016
JustHere2Observ:

Well ok, I just believe stress is not a good factor when learning and you dont have to go through stress for you to be able to fit in anywhere in the world. I just hope things change for better for the younger generation.
Yes...that's very true...its not,cuz even good people end up failing... That's why I'm either gonna send my kid abroad or to a private school....LOL
Re: Babcock University Set To Graduate Set Of Maiden Doctors by Pedagogue: 3:39pm On Aug 19, 2016
deedrizzie:
The person that posted that picture just finished the whole discussion... I mean,look at the reception! One thing is basic,I'm a medical student, i respect any doctor anywhere, anytime...but i cannot compare the graduates of MBBS from a federal school (like mine) to one from a private school...for one reason,STRESS!...The number of people in thay reception isn't even up to what we have on a boring day in Family medicine... They don't stress..no wahala...dey just ease through.. And it can't pay them in d real life...trust me...we've seen 'em...worked with 'em...and they ain't it

Many thanks for this.

The only thing I have to Add is: we doctors know the truth. The academic profiteers that call themselves 'private universities' can deceive parents to pay ridiculous and unjustifiable fees, but the TRUTH will always have a way of hunting falsehood. YOU CAN'T UNDSTD THIS iF U R NOT A GP!

Don't get me wrong. I don't hate private universities. Harvard and many other great uni's are 'private' universities. What I hate is the joke called Nigerian private universities. They are fundamentally structured to serve the classist, religious and economic objectives of their founders.

Babcock MBBS! What a joke.

1 Like

Re: Babcock University Set To Graduate Set Of Maiden Doctors by Irenemmeso(f): 4:07pm On Aug 19, 2016
drskyfly007:
yea
Re: Babcock University Set To Graduate Set Of Maiden Doctors by Chartey(m): 4:39pm On Aug 19, 2016
prahcetomi:
Some private universities teaching hospitals do residency programs like BinghamUniversityTeachingHospital.

In Psychiatry? Ophthalmology? Neurosurgery? Medical/Surgical Oncology? All the arms of laboratory medicine? Neonatology? Infectious Diseases? What's the total population of residents? How many units in each dept?
Let's assume this one is even not a problem, what of the others?
The truth is that there's no way they'll have as much clinical exposure and confidence as those trained in govt teaching hospitals.

1 Like

Re: Babcock University Set To Graduate Set Of Maiden Doctors by Elxandre(m): 4:54pm On Aug 19, 2016
deedrizzie:

No ma'am... I'd rather learn where i can fit in anywhere.. I assure you..after 4yrs in UITH that i can fit in anywhere,work with anyone and be a sucess..because i've learnt to make the best of myself when the conditions weren't the best,I've had to push myself beyond limits to learn pharmacology because i know my father's millions can't buy me promotion to the next level....abt the patient interaction.. We like in Nigeria, we don't have facilities... Imagine a farmer working with blunt tools...u think he's happy??
And you already assume they buy promotion with their father's wealth?

Insecurity is a major sign of unintelligence.
Re: Babcock University Set To Graduate Set Of Maiden Doctors by prahcetomi(m): 6:01pm On Aug 19, 2016
Chartey:

In Psychiatry? Ophthalmology? Neurosurgery? Medical/Surgical Oncology? All the arms of laboratory medicine? Neonatology? Infectious Diseases? What's the total population of residents? How many units in each dept?
Let's assume this one is even not a problem, what of the others?
The truth is that there's no way they'll have as much clinical exposure and confidence as those trained in govt teaching hospitals.
At the end of the programme,one would not develop one head than the other.....Abi?
Re: Babcock University Set To Graduate Set Of Maiden Doctors by Nobody: 6:41pm On Aug 19, 2016
Ohzee, what's your opinion on this ma'am? A Nigerian private university such as this vs Nigerian public universities in the area of producing doctors. See all the conflicting comments here.
Re: Babcock University Set To Graduate Set Of Maiden Doctors by nijanigga: 6:44pm On Aug 19, 2016
femi4:
Unnecessary info, not related to the question
yeah, it's still a fact for public consumption.
Re: Babcock University Set To Graduate Set Of Maiden Doctors by femi4: 7:00pm On Aug 19, 2016
nijanigga:

yeah, it's still a fact for public consumption.
kobo kobo journalism
Re: Babcock University Set To Graduate Set Of Maiden Doctors by Chartey(m): 8:06pm On Aug 19, 2016
prahcetomi:
At the end of the programme,one would not develop one head than the other.....Abi?
And I thought I was engaging someone academically.

1 Like

Re: Babcock University Set To Graduate Set Of Maiden Doctors by nijanigga: 11:04pm On Aug 19, 2016
femi4:
kobo kobo journalism
that's your food. you need some kobo kobo becuase nothing wrong in the information I passed to those who don't know and you're mad for no reason.Or Carson is your idol? maybe you're a Trumpster.
Re: Babcock University Set To Graduate Set Of Maiden Doctors by femi4: 11:12pm On Aug 19, 2016
nijanigga:

that's your food. you need some kobo kobo becuase nothing wrong in the information I passed to those who don't know and you're mad for no reason.Or Carson is your idol? maybe you're a Trumpster.
Oponu! Why not put all his biography there since its information others can use. Get off my mentions and seek functioning brain
Re: Babcock University Set To Graduate Set Of Maiden Doctors by nijanigga: 11:28pm On Aug 19, 2016
femi4:
Oponu! Why not put all his biography there since its information others can use. Get off my mentions and seek functioning brain
Olori buruku, anuofia, why put his biography when all I was doing was to give people a recent snap shot about his failed presidential bid?
shege dan iska.
Re: Babcock University Set To Graduate Set Of Maiden Doctors by prahcetomi(m): 11:59pm On Aug 19, 2016
Chartey:

And I thought I was engaging someone academically.
I'm not just buying ur point.....Bye.
Re: Babcock University Set To Graduate Set Of Maiden Doctors by DaVinciii(m): 6:17pm On Aug 20, 2016
Chartey:

Be sure of things before you say them, especially on social media. BU medical students probably have more practical experience than you will ever dream of having as a medical student in a oublic uni.

Not only do they go to India to practice (with equipment and facilities you will never see here) and learn along side the best doctors in the world, they also constantly work in other nearby hospitals for months straight. Babcock medical students do not go on holidays. Yes. Their Christmas break last year was just for 10 days I think, and that was their longest holiday, call one now and she/he will prob be in one hospital in Abeokuta or so working.
Stop hating on what you don't know about. Ben Carson (the best neuro-surgeon in the world) endorsed this school - this speaks volumes.
Do you think practical experience is that house boy uniport students do for doctors in UPTH and the likes? this is good news for Nigeria as a country; be happy for your country and stop hating just because you were not opportuned to attend babcock!

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Babcock University Set To Graduate Set Of Maiden Doctors by Stbottle(m): 4:01pm On Aug 21, 2016
debuscket:

If only your drunkard father had used #50 gold circle, he would have saved us this mischief

SMH

Another failure in the system......
Re: Babcock University Set To Graduate Set Of Maiden Doctors by Stbottle(m): 4:17pm On Aug 21, 2016
debuscket:

If only your drunkard father had used #50 gold circle, he would have saved us this mischief

SMH

Well if not for your unfortunate father....who did not bestow good training and encourage adequate thinking...you know your life wont be like this

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

95-Year-Old Kenyan Woman Enrolls In School To Learn To Read And Write / 2016/2017 Best Subject Combination For Mass Communication In JAMB UTME / NOUN Released Her 2019 E-exam Timetable. Download It HERE

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 59
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.