Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,288 members, 7,807,976 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 12:52 AM

Police IG Asks Doctors To Treat Accident/Gunshot Victims First - Health - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Health / Police IG Asks Doctors To Treat Accident/Gunshot Victims First (4303 Views)

IGP Directs Hospitals To Treat Gunshot Victims / NMA Dares Jonathan - Asks Resident Doctors To Reject Sack Letters / Amazing! Patients Pay Doctors To Use Surgical Equipment Atigbobi Hospital (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Police IG Asks Doctors To Treat Accident/Gunshot Victims First by timbuktu1: 11:58am On Sep 28, 2009
Inspector General of Police, Ogbonna Onovo, has asked medical practitioners and other operators of health facilities in Nigeria to save victims of gun-shot wounds and accidents before contacting police.

Mr. Onovo said this in Abuja following recent controversies and “allegations” that police banned the treatment of guns shot and accident victims without police report.

“At no time did the Police restrain medical doctors from attending to the needs of the victims.” Mr.

Onovo said thereby absolving police of the responsibility for the lives of all those that must have died because of the myth.

“All that the Nigeria Police Force asks of them is to first do their duties, and immediately thereafter inform the nearest Police station/formation of the presence of such wounded persons, as the Police may find reason to inquire into the circumstances surrounding the injuries or gunshot.

[img]http://234next.com/csp/cms/sites/dt.common.streams.StreamServer.cls?CONTENTTYPE=image/jpeg&STREAMOID=qZuwJ_h1M49F2Z2HxLd8wC6SYeqqxXXqBcOgKOfTXxSx6mv2YLONqZ3KEwRVLG_inW_PgxgftuECOcfJwS6Jtlp$r8Fy$6AAZ9zyPuHJ25T7a9GKDSxsGxtpmxP0VAUyHL6IDcZHtmM2t7xO$FHdJG95dFi6y2Uma3vSsvPpVyo-[/img]

Police boss directs medical practioners to treat gun-shot wounds.  [url=http://234next.com/csp/cms/sites/Next/News/National/5464455-146/Treat_victims_first,_IG_tells_doctors.csp]Source[/url].
Re: Police IG Asks Doctors To Treat Accident/Gunshot Victims First by bibiking1(m): 12:27pm On Sep 28, 2009
Is there a law in place to that effect??
All these are just word of mouth to soothe the current yearning of the people!
Re: Police IG Asks Doctors To Treat Accident/Gunshot Victims First by fashrola(m): 5:20pm On Sep 28, 2009
this is medicine after death[color=][/color][color=][/color]
Re: Police IG Asks Doctors To Treat Accident/Gunshot Victims First by matiltomd(f): 5:26pm On Sep 28, 2009
timbuktu1:

[img]http://234next.com/csp/cms/sites/dt.common.streams.StreamServer.cls?CONTENTTYPE=image/jpeg&STREAMOID=qZuwJ_h1M49F2Z2HxLd8wC6SYeqqxXXqBcOgKOfTXxSx6mv2YLONqZ3KEwRVLG_inW_PgxgftuECOcfJwS6Jtlp$r8Fy$6AAZ9zyPuHJ25T7a9GKDSxsGxtpmxP0VAUyHL6IDcZHtmM2t7xO$FHdJG95dFi6y2Uma3vSsvPpVyo-[/img]

Police boss directs medical practioners to treat gun-shot wounds.  [url=http://234next.com/csp/cms/sites/Next/News/National/5464455-146/Treat_victims_first,_IG_tells_doctors.csp]Source[/url].

Onovo is a big liar jo shocked shocked, afterall he said Ribadu didn't come to Nigeria for Gani's burial, he should just shut up,olodo,
Re: Police IG Asks Doctors To Treat Accident/Gunshot Victims First by jintujinta(m): 5:33pm On Sep 28, 2009
Someone said that before. And for God's sake common sense also supports it. The normal thing to do in such cases is start treatment but call the police to inform them. That was the instruction. Anyway, God help us!
Re: Police IG Asks Doctors To Treat Accident/Gunshot Victims First by saworoide: 5:35pm On Sep 28, 2009
The doctor should ask for video and photo evidence of this speech before they act on it. Onovo can not be trusted after his Ribadu denial.
Re: Police IG Asks Doctors To Treat Accident/Gunshot Victims First by stagger: 5:36pm On Sep 28, 2009
A doctor friend of mine has once been paraded with armed robbers after treating someone with a gunshot wound. Next day, police just rounded him up, saying he was a doctor to the robbery gang, treating them whenever they encountered injuries during robbery operations.

As long as these kinds of stuff keep happening, I am not sure doctors will heed this call by the IG. We all know the Nigerian police see white and call it black. Let's be frank about this.
Re: Police IG Asks Doctors To Treat Accident/Gunshot Victims First by Seun(m): 5:49pm On Sep 28, 2009
Regardless of the true reasons behind this statement,
we should take it and run with it in order to save lives.

The police IG should really re-educate his men in order
to assure doctors that things have truly changed.
A TV/newspaper/radio campaign could solve the problem.

If that fails, refusing treatment should be made a crime.
Re: Police IG Asks Doctors To Treat Accident/Gunshot Victims First by nethacker(m): 5:54pm On Sep 28, 2009
stagger:

A doctor friend of mine has once been paraded with armed robbers after treating someone with a gunshot wound. Next day, police just rounded him up, saying he was a doctor to the robbery gang, treating them whenever they encountered injuries during robbery operations.

As long as these kinds of stuff keep happening, I am not sure doctors will heed this call by the IG. We all know the Nigerian police see white and call it black. Let's be frank about this.
Ohh imagine the so-called police shocked shocked POLICE!!!!!! shocked shocked Most stupid and confused set of sch cert IDIOTS grin
Re: Police IG Asks Doctors To Treat Accident/Gunshot Victims First by chosen04(f): 6:18pm On Sep 28, 2009
stagger:

My doctor frnd also suffered same fate. I really dont blame any doctor for not treating anybody with gun shot wounds cos once u are paraded with armed robbers as their cohort on national television that is the end of ur medical practise. Even if the Police shld even later discover their fault they will never apologize and the person will be left with a battered image.

If the Police is serious about it let them pass a law to that effect until that is done i think its better all doctors stay clear of gun-shot wounds without police report.
Re: Police IG Asks Doctors To Treat Accident/Gunshot Victims First by iceland(m): 6:39pm On Sep 28, 2009
There was never a law that says people with gun shots should not be treated. Never! The police always go and harass the doctors because they want bribe. I don't know why doctors couldn't call in their lawyers. What the law says is get a police report before you discharge such patient. But some doctors don't!
Re: Police IG Asks Doctors To Treat Accident/Gunshot Victims First by Outstrip(f): 6:53pm On Sep 28, 2009
Sorry for what you friend went through but did he get advice from a lawyer after this happened or did he just take it as his lot in life and did nothing about it. Over here in the states when you insure your business you also get a lawyer included in the package so that if you run into the trouble you have someone to take care of legal issues. I think every business owner in Nigeria should have this. I know the lawyers will make money from this. If you charge each business owner N100,000.00 a year and then when there are issues like this their law firm jumps into action. Soon enough the police will get tired of lawsuits and the lawyer has incentive to keep making trouble for the police. I know it's Nigeria but I think it is worth trying. People do not bother to know their rights but you can pay someone to know it for you I guess
Re: Police IG Asks Doctors To Treat Accident/Gunshot Victims First by koyuid(m): 6:56pm On Sep 28, 2009
This shows how primitive we still are! i mean why should hospitals turn back gunshot victims? why should police harass doctors for saving lives?!
Re: Police IG Asks Doctors To Treat Accident/Gunshot Victims First by ZUBBYNWA(m): 6:59pm On Sep 28, 2009
may god help us for this naija
Re: Police IG Asks Doctors To Treat Accident/Gunshot Victims First by koyuid(m): 7:03pm On Sep 28, 2009
God has helped us enough we need to start helping ourselves angry
Re: Police IG Asks Doctors To Treat Accident/Gunshot Victims First by MUZBO(m): 7:14pm On Sep 28, 2009
The new trend will be that if you call the station and it says number busy or switched off then no treatment. If the wound is minor it means you have to delay the patient till the cops arrive. Anyway once their phone works then things will go smoothly, but a time limit should be attached and calls must be recorded because those shifty eyed underhanded cops cannot be trust to acknowledge receipt of calls.
Re: Police IG Asks Doctors To Treat Accident/Gunshot Victims First by ocelot2006(m): 7:24pm On Sep 28, 2009
Kudos to the IG for changing the policy of hospitals demanding police reports before treating gun-shot wounds. It will go a long way in saving lives in the future. The hospitals could insist that the patients wait for police questioning, but they MUST save them them first.
Re: Police IG Asks Doctors To Treat Accident/Gunshot Victims First by Nobody: 7:33pm On Sep 28, 2009
This our doctors would they yield?i rem ehindero said samething.Okiro said same.So this is not d first time we are hearing this.In nigeria its wen things go wrong/wen top pple are affected by tragedies that we make fake pronouncements.Rem belview&sosoliso b4 aviation reforms were made.Wen building collapses we rem use of bad materials we fool ourselves alot
Re: Police IG Asks Doctors To Treat Accident/Gunshot Victims First by chosen04(f): 7:35pm On Sep 28, 2009
iceland:

There was never a law that says people with gun shots should not be treated. Never! The police always go and harass the doctors because they want bribe. I don't know why doctors couldn't call in their lawyers. What the law says is get a police report before you discharge such patient. But some doctors don't!

ICELAND
Its obvious u dont leave in nigeria cos if u do u will know that we dont follow laws in nigeria. The Police who are supposed to maintain the laws will definitely be the same person that will break it. They will kill innocent citizens and their senior officers will cover them from forcing justice. Take the APO 6 for example. The Police officers who killed those innocent youths are still walking the streets freely.
Re: Police IG Asks Doctors To Treat Accident/Gunshot Victims First by Nobody: 7:37pm On Sep 28, 2009
This our doctors would they yield?i rem ehindero said samething.Okiro said same.So this is not d first time we are hearing this.In nigeria its wen things go wrong/wen top pple are affected by tragedies that we make fake pronouncements.Rem belview&sosoliso b4 aviation reforms were made.Wen building collapses we rem use of bad materials we fool ourselves alot
Re: Police IG Asks Doctors To Treat Accident/Gunshot Victims First by esonic: 7:41pm On Sep 28, 2009
I be medical doctor and every gunshot case i see whenever i m in a private hospital, i send straight to teaching hospital, no story, f**k the police!
Re: Police IG Asks Doctors To Treat Accident/Gunshot Victims First by Spyker: 7:43pm On Sep 28, 2009
I think the problem with this country lies with the fact that our leaders speak from both side of the mouth. Onovo is not the first IG who would say good things about the police why in actual fact, he is part and parcel of the rotten bunch called POLICE. If a fish wants to rotten, it starts from the head. The only way out is for Doctor to rise to the occasion of challenging the police (suing them). The Nigerian Medical Association (NMA) should as a matter of urgency set-up a committee to look into this issue and also further a bill to the National Assembly for it to be an offense for any police officer to harass or intimidate any doctor for carry out his legitimate duty. After all, the first duty of any doctor is to save life (though Doctors demand for money before commencing treatment but that is another issue altogether).
Re: Police IG Asks Doctors To Treat Accident/Gunshot Victims First by Namco(m): 8:00pm On Sep 28, 2009
Dont mind dem, this was exactly what killed my beloving uncle, cos of doctors demanding police reports, when he was shot by assasins, may HIS GENTLE SOUL REST IN PEACE
Re: Police IG Asks Doctors To Treat Accident/Gunshot Victims First by Rooneyboy(m): 8:19pm On Sep 28, 2009
Dis is a very serious issue that really needes to be addressed. A couple of weeks ago , i lost a friend that was shot by a police officer just because the driver of the vehicle he was in(his friend) refused to tip the officer.Not just did he refuse to tip the officer,he drove off in annoyance, this infuriated the officer so much that he chased after them and shot from behind. The bullet unfortunately got my friend that was sitting on the passengers seat at his back and came out from his chest.When the officer realised what he had done he and his colleagues ran to their station 4 safety. Luckily 4 my friend he was still alive 4 about another 30mins or so but was rejected in all D hospitals he was taken to. (TO CUT THE LONG STORY SHORT, THE POLICE MAN IS PRESENTLY IN PANTI). Cos their investigation states that the officer was under the influence of alcohol.
Re: Police IG Asks Doctors To Treat Accident/Gunshot Victims First by MUNEER2(m): 8:22pm On Sep 28, 2009
Namco:

Dont mind dem, this was exactly what killed my beloving uncle, cos of doctors demanding police reports, when he was shot by assasins, may HIS GENTLE SOUL REST IN PEACE

I AM SO SORRY ABOUT THAT
Really, there should be a written agreement effecting that, i'm a medical practitioner, and i know what it is to treat a gunshot victim without the consent of the police first

Let 'em effect it first, police!!! very naughty set of people
Re: Police IG Asks Doctors To Treat Accident/Gunshot Victims First by Rooneyboy(m): 8:34pm On Sep 28, 2009
This bullet/doctors/police report issue has killed loads of Nigerians than we imagine.Its an everyday occurrence in our present day Nigeria and Onovo is very much aware of it.It really needs to be looked into than casually saying it.
Re: Police IG Asks Doctors To Treat Accident/Gunshot Victims First by Nobody: 9:01pm On Sep 28, 2009
You people just don't really get the whole scene.

Some hospitals lacks the basic oxygen equipment and first hand treatment for gun shot wounds( loosing so much blood and the whole complication)
why they refer to General hospitals, The whole Police report thing is just an excuse to send them to the General Hospitals.
If there are more public hospitals then this will solve thee problem.
I use ST ives Hospital in Ikeja and they treat people before even asking for money wether criminals or no criminals as they believe one is a suspect and not guilty until proven to be
Re: Police IG Asks Doctors To Treat Accident/Gunshot Victims First by MadMax1(f): 9:14pm On Sep 28, 2009
That's your IG's idea of being slick. He doesn't give a damn about enforcing the law. People with half the brain of a flea are running things, they make good-looking laws they don't enforce. They don't give a rat's ass about your life, even if you're ten thousand times more valuable than their useless behinds they won't think twice about dispatching you with a bullet over some imagined slight.

The police recruitment methods are full of holes big enough for a whale to swim through. Dumb, mean rats that have failed at everything in life turn to the Police Force and find themselves at home. It's time they reevaluate the selection process, and reign in those dumb, black-wearing slimeballs before they murder half the country.Give a man a little power and the first thing he does is abuse it. We all do it. There should be something to check police excesss, and punish it severely. It will stop kia kia.Oloriburuku incorporated. angry
Re: Police IG Asks Doctors To Treat Accident/Gunshot Victims First by Rooneyboy(m): 9:24pm On Sep 28, 2009
This goes out to our doctors , does it mean if 1 is a thief he deserves to die ? I dont get it , the prime objective of doctors are to save lives and not to seperate patient thieves 4m non-patient thieves because of D fear of police.
Re: Police IG Asks Doctors To Treat Accident/Gunshot Victims First by jingoma(m): 9:54pm On Sep 28, 2009
It is all LIP SERVICE Nobody is listening to ONOVO and victims of Gun shot wounds or any catastrophic incident will still not be treated especially when there is no one around to fork over some Dough!. Pray that no one you know is ever in such a predicament.
Re: Police IG Asks Doctors To Treat Accident/Gunshot Victims First by Spicyboy01: 1:48am On Sep 29, 2009
Oga oo. all these rulers sha,

They will just say anything to calm the Citizen down,
Re: Police IG Asks Doctors To Treat Accident/Gunshot Victims First by nas00(m): 2:32am On Sep 29, 2009
Please, understand that if a doc asks for police report before attending to gunshot victims, it's because he needs a legal backing to do his job under that circumstance. For instance, if he get whisked away by d police, who's gonna attend to d patients that may need him when he's already at Alagbon or something?

Things shouldn't be this way, but it has become of necessity 'cos of d crazy system 9ja operates. Those policemen are full-blooded bastards. They'll do anything to eke some bribe. Have nothing to do with them o!

(1) (2) (Reply)

Tongue Condom - Does This Guarantee Safe Mouth Action??? / FG To Recruit 2,000 Additional Midwives / Does Dettol Kill Ebola Virus?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 48
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.