Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,149,819 members, 7,806,304 topics. Date: Tuesday, 23 April 2024 at 02:25 PM

Arugba - Poems For Review - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Literature / Poems For Review / Arugba (1757 Views)

(2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Arugba by amberacious: 8:36pm On Aug 19, 2016
ARUGBA

Atunpa Olojumerindinlogun glows no more.
Even Iyere does not sound like before.

Oshun, the goddess has grown hungry.
A sacrifice pronto or she becomes angry.

Oba Laaroye's promise must be kept,
In accordance with the ancestral precept.

A beauty adored in chastity and purity,
Must feed Oshun as customarily duty.

Arugba, the votary maid,
Serves Oshun untouched, unafraid.

When she leads with sacrifice on her head,
Even Ataoja dares not walk ahead.

Her gait, regal, defined and measured.
Her calabash, exalted and treasured.

Her first step into the Osun river,
Turns it to "Agbo" healing every fever.

A mortal, turned messenger of the goddess,
Now a carrier of the goddess' goodness.

No wonder she's revered by every believer,
For her existence ensures Oshun lives forever.
- Amberacious Poems (c) 2016.

7 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Arugba by amberacious: 8:38pm On Aug 19, 2016
Literature Review

Background of the poem

The poem is on the role of Arugba, a virgin maid, in the famous Yoruba festival "Osun Osogbo festival." A festival that is over 600 years old, celebrated in Osun state of Nigeria. It paints the cultural value, belief and heritage of the Yoruba community.

Plot of the poem

The plot is centered on a virgin maid called Arugba selected by the goddess to serve her purpose. It covers her noble ceremonial walk while carrying a calabash to the Riverside where she offered sacrifice to the goddess.

Structure of the poem

The poem is a 20 line poem written in couplet form with no particular feet, meter, or syllable structure.

Theme

Chastity, Devotion, Tradition, Festival.

Vocabulary

Arugba: a Yoruba word simply translated as ‘the one who carries the calabash,’ Her act of carrying the calabash marks the grand finale of the Osun Osogbo festival.

Atunpa Olojumerindinlogun: an ancient lamp consisting of sixteen faces, fired up inside the palace square during early days in the celebration of Osun Osogbo festival where it burns from night till dawn during which the Ataoja (the king) comes out with his queens to dance with his subjects, symbolising his humility and concern for their well-being.

Iyere: a song sang for the monarch to dance round his family compound in company of his queen(s) during early days in the Osun Osogbo festival

Oshun: is a deity of the river and fresh water, luxury and pleasure, sexuality and fertility, and beauty and love. She is connected to destiny and divination. She is the patron saint the Osun River in Nigeria, which bears her name. Oshun is honored at the Osun-Osogbo Festival a two-week-long annual festival, usually in August, at the Osun-Osogbo Sacred Groveon the banks of the Osun River, Nigeria.

Oba Larooye: the first Oba of Osogbo, he entered into a convenant with Osun the goddess that every year a virgin girl from the royal family would bring sacrifices to her.

Ataoja: the title for the king of Osogbo

Agbo: Herb or concoction believed to have medicinal properties.

3 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Arugba by llaykorn: 6:17am On Aug 20, 2016
You just made me so super-proud to say I'm from Osgobo. When poetry is employed to celebrate culture, the art produced is ever a vibrantly colorful one. I enjoyed your poetry, and your analysis is right on point.

Thanks for sharing, amberacious.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Arugba by amberacious: 12:31pm On Aug 20, 2016
llaykorn:
You just made me so super-proud to say I'm from Osgobo. When poetry is employed to celebrate culture, the art produced is ever a vibrantly colorful one. I enjoyed your poetry, and your analysis is right on point.

Thanks for sharing, amberacious.

It's an honour to host the legendary llaykorn on this post. I have always been a secret student of your poetry dexterity, together with genius arts of timpaker, joseph1832 and JigsawKillah amongst other great poets that own plots on this nairaland poetry avenue..... Thanks for dropping by. I m glad you love the piece.
Re: Arugba by timpaker(m): 7:49pm On Aug 20, 2016
What a great piece of traditional poem!

I love cultural and traditional poems like this because I learn from it.

Welcome brother. cheesy

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Arugba by amberacious: 8:32am On Aug 21, 2016
timpaker:
What a great piece of traditional poem!

I love cultural and traditional poems like this because I learn from it.

Welcome brother. cheesy

Thanks timpaker. You've always been an inspiration.
Re: Arugba by JigsawKillah(m): 8:33am On Aug 22, 2016
I like this

cc
Laveda
Lanicky
Skarlett

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Arugba by Nobody: 9:18am On Aug 22, 2016
This is beautiful, a celebration of culture at its peak, thanks for the mention Jigs.

1 Like

Re: Arugba by elfico(m): 12:53pm On Aug 25, 2016
Quite vivid descriptions. Nice one @ op.

1 Like

Re: Arugba by Kruzilano(m): 10:28pm On Aug 26, 2016
Wow wow wow!!! I think this should be rated "poem of the month". Such a Beautiful piece

1 Like

Re: Arugba by amberacious: 9:13pm On Aug 28, 2016
[quote author=JigsawKillah post=48695748]I like this

I m glad you like the piece...
Re: Arugba by amberacious: 9:14pm On Aug 28, 2016
Re: Arugba by amberacious: 10:00pm On Aug 28, 2016
[quote author=skarlett post=48697024]This is beautiful, a celebration of culture at its peak

Thanks...

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Arugba by amberacious: 10:02pm On Aug 28, 2016
elfico:
Quite vivid descriptions. Nice one @ op.

Thanks for the comment and compliment...
Re: Arugba by amberacious: 10:13pm On Aug 28, 2016
Kruzilano:
Wow wow wow!!! I think this should be rated "poem of the month". Such a Beautiful piece

Thanks... But poem of the month?... Really?... I m humbled...
Re: Arugba by Nobody: 2:54pm On Aug 29, 2016
I can't stand behind you to say this was written from this planet.

1 Like

Re: Arugba by amberacious: 6:37pm On Aug 29, 2016
TheAgba:
I can't stand behind you to say this was written from this planet.

Certainly you can't stand behind... Coz you are always ahead... Respect! Thanks.

(1) (Reply)

lost love(poem) / To My Elegant Lady (poem). / Through The Night

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 17
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.