Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,282 members, 7,807,946 topics. Date: Wednesday, 24 April 2024 at 11:27 PM

The Birth Of A Local Garri Processing Factory - Agriculture (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Agriculture / The Birth Of A Local Garri Processing Factory (14190 Views)

In View (pics): Small Scale Garri Processing Factory At Ijebu Igbo / In View (pictures): A 2,000 Bags Capacity Garri Processing Factory At Ogun State / The Major Garri Processing Machines With Prices (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: The Birth Of A Local Garri Processing Factory by Pavore9: 9:18am On Sep 23, 2016
Emempaul:

so very true wat u said

I lived and worked in the rural areas across Africa and do have have first hand knowledge. For the frying of the garri, do you cut down trees around you or buy firewood?
Re: The Birth Of A Local Garri Processing Factory by TheUnbeatable(m): 10:55pm On Sep 23, 2016
The truck there is a 1.5 tonner truck but people load it up to 4-6 tonnes sometimes(cattle transporters carry 8 cows with it). That cassava is not more than 2.5 tonnes Max. I have done this business before. We deliver to info fufu market and they make fufu and deliver to Lagos and sometimes , it is dried in lagos and exported ...

I don't expect you to believe me though...

3 Likes

Re: The Birth Of A Local Garri Processing Factory by Emempaul(m): 8:04am On Sep 24, 2016
hahn:
Are there no modern machinery for processing garri?
there are. But for d small starters, u need this women.

If u even really look at it, in a way even if u do expand to b big,humans are alway somehow beta dan machine plus u give employment to dis rural women who in turn serve ur best interest

1 Like

Re: The Birth Of A Local Garri Processing Factory by Emempaul(m): 8:08am On Sep 24, 2016
Pavore9:

I lived and worked in the rural areas across Africa and do have have first hand knowledge. For the frying of the garri, do you cut down trees around you or buy firewood?
we buy. If u cut down trees, then u wuld ave to wait a month for it to dry if not it will b smokey and disturb d fryers
Re: The Birth Of A Local Garri Processing Factory by Emempaul(m): 8:23am On Sep 24, 2016
TheUnbeatable:
The truck there is a 1.5 tonner truck but people load it up to 4-6 tonnes sometimes(cattle transporters carry 8 cows with it). That cassava is not more than 2.5 tonnes Max. I have done this business before. We deliver to info fufu market and they make fufu and deliver to Lagos and sometimes , it is dried in lagos and exported ...

I don't expect you to believe me though...

bro a nissan cabstar is 2x smaller dan dat volkwagen pickup yet a complete full load of cassava is 4ton while a standard load is 3ton. I knw dis cos i ve bin using it for 3years to supply cassava. While i might not b able to give accurate fig. on its capacity,we ve used d vw pickup severally to deliver finished fabricated goods while i still worked for an engeering firm in lagos so i knw its size is far bigger as compared with d cabstar
Re: The Birth Of A Local Garri Processing Factory by Pavore9: 8:33am On Sep 24, 2016
Emempaul:

we buy. If u cut down trees, then u wuld ave to wait a month for it to dry if not it will b smokey and disturb d fryers

I have personal experience in garri frying and whenever am at the biogas centre here in Nairobi, l always think of those women frying it as l know the cassava peels and other biodegradable wastes abundant in the rural areas can conveniently supply them with enough gas to heat up their frying pans thus eliminating firewood and its smoke.....someday it will be possible.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: The Birth Of A Local Garri Processing Factory by Emempaul(m): 8:45am On Sep 24, 2016
Pavore9:

I have personal experience in garri frying and whenever am at the biogas centre here in Nairobi, l always think of those women frying it as l know the cassava peels and other biodegradable wastes abundant in the rural areas can conveniently supply them with enough gas to heat up their frying pans thus eliminating firewood and its smoke.....someday it will be possible.
the problem seems to be dat of getting d accurate know-how in buildin it. Even d so called experts are learner here. And wen u finally get the experts, its either they are too costly or they play politics with the knowledge
Re: The Birth Of A Local Garri Processing Factory by Pavore9: 9:38am On Sep 24, 2016
Emempaul:

the problem seems to be dat of getting d accurate know-how in buildin it. Even d so called experts are learner here. And wen u finally get the experts, its either they are too costly or they play politics with the knowledge

The expertise is lacking. There is this Kenyan who l call King of biogas and two days ago he made a presentation at the World Energy Engineering Congress in Washington, United States and he owns the biogas centre l visit in Nairobi. His systems are patented and very efficient and have been deployed in different countries in Africa and Asia. The guy is an encyclopaedia!

His systems for household and commercial use are feed with cow and poultry wastes, vegetable and fruit wastes

The picture are his systems, the one the guy is feeding waste into is exactly the type that he installed at a project l work with.

Funny enough at the centre the gas is always left to waste because they are generating more gas than they need! cheesy

Re: The Birth Of A Local Garri Processing Factory by Emempaul(m): 9:42am On Sep 24, 2016
Amazing!!!
Re: The Birth Of A Local Garri Processing Factory by hahn(m): 11:00am On Sep 24, 2016
Emempaul:

there are. But for d small starters, u need this women.

True. For starters. The smoke from the wood is what gets me. One can introduce gas and probably even bio-gas as an alternative to fire wood

If u even really look at it, in a way even if u do expand to b big,humans are alway somehow beta dan machine plus u give employment to dis rural women who in turn serve ur best interest

Even though this your reason is somewhat sentimental, I do agree. However, if modern machines are introduced it would save work time and money to be paid to workers and greatly increase output which totally benefits the business person.

Still, these women charge cheap for their services. This option is ideal for starters, as you earlier stated, and one can make up for increased output by employing more workers.

Win win situation really smiley

Do you have any idea how much start up capital would be necessary to start bagging garri?

Op? Anyone?
Re: The Birth Of A Local Garri Processing Factory by Emempaul(m): 11:55am On Sep 24, 2016
hahn:

True. For starters. The smoke from the wood is what gets me. One can introduce gas and probably even bio-gas as an alternative to fire wood

Even though this your reason is somewhat sentimental, I do agree. However, if modern machines are introduced it would save work time and money to be paid to workers and greatly increase output which totally benefits the business person.

Still, these women charge cheap for their services. This option is ideal for starters, as you earlier stated, and one can make up for increased output by employing more workers.

Win win situation really smiley

Do you have any idea how much start up capital would be necessary to start bagging garri?

Op? Anyone?
it depends ur pocket

u will need
1. Sealing machine
2. 100kg scale
3. Quality branded bags of different size wich u can get frm sango
4. Marketers on commission
5. Target market
6. Gud accounting and records
7. Quality garri(b it ijebu,yellow or white)

then u are gud to go. Note this

ur brand name is ur selling point so choose ur brand name careful

ur bagging location must be extra neat as sandy garri is a no garri

its best u do sum free samples and test the market b4 going full scale

most importantly take into consideration wat it cost to produce a single bag of garri for u to peg ur market price

( this infor i gave u doesnt usually come free but today i v v happy. CHEERS!!
Re: The Birth Of A Local Garri Processing Factory by Newway2(m): 12:46pm On Sep 24, 2016
Yes. While turning d cassava peals into raw materials to generate BioGas is a fantastic idea, I rather think that d most profitable option is to turn it into animal feed as depicted in ds video. This is because, animal feed cost is going out of d roof 4 most animal farmers right now.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jkvHYqPLvyc&gl=NL&client=mv-rim&hl=en-GB

Pavore9:

1 Like 1 Share

Re: The Birth Of A Local Garri Processing Factory by Pavore9: 12:50pm On Sep 24, 2016
Newway2:
Yes. While turning d cassava peals into raw materials to generate BioGas is a fantastic idea, I rather think that d most profitable option is to turn it into animal feed as depicted in ds video. This is because, animal feed cost is going out of d roof 4 most animal farmers right now.

rtsp://r7---sn-5hne6nee.googlevideo.com/Cj0LENy73wIaNAknv8ujYsdLjhMYESARFC1ZY-ZXMOCoAUIASARg0oDs-dLUuctVigELeWZPSWJaeExwUEEM/8F900612904A65DA622FEAB7B486E2EA568FFBD2.C60959EECF3F088A35800F92567F5BA0AF22FBA5/yt6/1/video.3gp

I was basing it around their enterprise......they pour the peels into the digester beside them and it gives them gas to fry the garri.

1 Like

Re: The Birth Of A Local Garri Processing Factory by Emempaul(m): 12:53pm On Sep 24, 2016
Pavore9:

I was basing it around their enterprise......they pour the peels into the digester beside them and it gives them gas to fry the garri.

Do re-paste the link you posted.
wat will d digester b made off
Re: The Birth Of A Local Garri Processing Factory by Pavore9: 1:25pm On Sep 24, 2016
Emempaul:

wat will d digester b made off

For the one for home use, it is a special quality of tarpaulin and pipes as seen in the pictures. It is installed within 4hrs and by the 7th day one can using gas from it to cook.

What looks like the greenhouse covering is used to make the digester warmer thus producing more gas and most especially to keep kids away before they turn the digester to bouncing castle! cheesy

1 Like 1 Share

Re: The Birth Of A Local Garri Processing Factory by hahn(m): 1:30pm On Sep 24, 2016
Emempaul:

it depends ur pocket

u will need
1. Sealing machine
2. 100kg scale
3. Quality branded bags of different size wich u can get frm sango
4. Marketers on commission
5. Target market
6. Gud accounting and records
7. Quality garri(b it ijebu,yellow or white)

then u are gud to go. Note this

ur brand name is ur selling point so choose ur brand name careful

ur bagging location must be extra neat as sandy garri is a no garri

its best u do sum free samples and test the market b4 going full scale

most importantly take into consideration wat it cost to produce a single bag of garri for u to peg ur market price

( this infor i gave u doesnt usually come free but today i v v happy. CHEERS!!

Thanks.

I do not mind paying for the information though.

Like an ebook or one on one tutorial will be fine with me
Re: The Birth Of A Local Garri Processing Factory by Emempaul(m): 1:50pm On Sep 24, 2016
Pavore9:

For the one for home use, it is a special quality of tarpaulin and pipes as seen in the pictures. It is installed within 4hrs and by the 7th day one can using gas from it to cook.

What looks like the greenhouse covering is used to make the digester warmer thus producing more gas and most especially to keep kids away before they turn the digester to bouncing castle! cheesy
how can one get it in nigeria
Re: The Birth Of A Local Garri Processing Factory by Emempaul(m): 1:54pm On Sep 24, 2016
hahn:

Thanks.
prefer i one on one prefablly at ur intended site of the packaging industry
Re: The Birth Of A Local Garri Processing Factory by Emempaul(m): 1:55pm On Sep 24, 2016
hahn:

Thanks.

prefer i one on one prefablly at ur intended site of the packaging industry to have a first hand view of d place
Re: The Birth Of A Local Garri Processing Factory by Pavore9: 1:56pm On Sep 24, 2016
Emempaul:

how can one get it in nigeria

You can communicate with the centre via Facebook: Flexi Biogas
Re: The Birth Of A Local Garri Processing Factory by Emempaul(m): 1:58pm On Sep 24, 2016
Pavore9:

You can communicate with the centre via Facebook: Flexi Biogas
ok thanks will do dat
Re: The Birth Of A Local Garri Processing Factory by hahn(m): 2:01pm On Sep 24, 2016
Emempaul:

prefer i one on one prefablly at ur intended site of the packaging industry

O
K

I will keep in touch when I am fully prepared then
Re: The Birth Of A Local Garri Processing Factory by TheUnbeatable(m): 7:41pm On Sep 24, 2016
@emempaul:

Have you measured cassava with scale on the farm before loading the trucks before?

I have done that.

Have you supplied trailer load of cassava to the factory before?

How many baskets of cassava fill up the cabster truck?

What is the weight of a basket of cassava?

Many times, things are not as we see it

I don't argue, my brother.

God bless your work,

Sincerely,
Re: The Birth Of A Local Garri Processing Factory by Emempaul(m): 8:09pm On Sep 24, 2016
tongue tongue grin grin grin

TheUnbeatable:
@emempaul:

Have you measured cassava with scale on the farm before loading the trucks before?

I have done that.

God bless your work,

Sincerely,
grin
TheUnbeatable:
@emempaul:

I have done that.

God bless your work,

Sincerely,
Re: The Birth Of A Local Garri Processing Factory by lanre2009: 8:11pm On Sep 24, 2016
I have seen the documentary about this company on Hela Mchagani. It is a very innovative company

See the link to the documentary below:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-3Acbqm-Mog

Pavore9:

Re: The Birth Of A Local Garri Processing Factory by Pavore9: 8:30pm On Sep 24, 2016
lanre2009:
I have seen the documentary about this company on Hela Mchagani. It is a very innovative company

See the link to the documentary below:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-3Acbqm-Mog

Watched it at Dominic's place before it was even aired by WTV The system shown are ideal for homes. You need to sit down with this guy for 15mins, to realize "brain pass brain" as 5 Nairalanders l have facilitated visiting the place when they were in Nairobi can attest to. I remember him telling me there is someone in Nigeria who already have one of the systems.
Re: The Birth Of A Local Garri Processing Factory by lanre2009: 2:41am On Sep 25, 2016
Yes. He mentioned it in the video

Pavore9:

Watched it at Dominic's place before it was even aired by WTV The system shown are ideal for homes. You need to sit down with this guy for 15mins, to realize "brain pass brain" as 5 Nairalanders l have facilitated visiting the place when they were in Nairobi can attest to. I remember him telling me there is someone in Nigeria who already have one of the systems.
Re: The Birth Of A Local Garri Processing Factory by obstead200(m): 4:04am On Sep 25, 2016
Emempaul:

if u own a land and a truck to convey ur goods then the cost of set up is 3.5m which includes 1 month wages if not, with the current state of things burget 7 to 7.5mil
Bros u wicked oooo.
Why not just stick to the earlier answer u gave them

1 Like

Re: The Birth Of A Local Garri Processing Factory by whirlwind7(m): 6:31am On Sep 25, 2016
Pavore9:

Bros, do you know what you are sitting on?
Isn't it possible you understudy him and sort of become his west Africa representative?
All you have to do is set it up for few customers in rural and urban areas, plus with a lot of online and offline ads, and I'm sure you would get a lot of demands.
I am aware of another guy who is into something similar in Lagos. Goes by the name of Jobaiye gas or something like that. He also has an account on NL.
Bottom line, the market in west Africa subregion is much bigger than east Africa.

2 Likes

Re: The Birth Of A Local Garri Processing Factory by Emempaul(m): 6:45am On Sep 25, 2016
obstead200:
Bros u wicked oooo. Why not just stick to the earlier answer u gave them
how i take wicked
Re: The Birth Of A Local Garri Processing Factory by obstead200(m): 9:04am On Sep 25, 2016
Emempaul:

how i take wicked
u shud have just said u won't give them info for free.

How can u be quoting that ridiculous amount just to discourage them?

How much is a thatched roof she'd, a metal frame and some frying pans? This is all I could see in ur set up and u are telling those who are interested that they should keep N3.5m after having land and vehicle.

You wicked jare

3 Likes

Re: The Birth Of A Local Garri Processing Factory by Emempaul(m): 10:52am On Sep 25, 2016
obstead200:
u shud have just said u won't give them info for free.

How can u be quoting that ridiculous amount just to discourage them?

How much is a thatched roof she'd, a mel frame and some frying pans? This is all I could see in ur set up and u are telling those who are interested that they should keep N3.5m after having land and vehicle.

You wicked jare
if u really want me to start with u , u wont like the reparcution. I am not garri guy hence f**k out of here

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Nigerian Farmers Refuse To Repay N60 Billion Loan – Bank Of Agriculture / BA To Fly Nigerian Yams To UK / What Salary Is Ok For A Farm Manager?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 65
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.