Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,143,383 members, 7,781,085 topics. Date: Friday, 29 March 2024 at 08:36 AM

Consequence Of Wickedness Episode 1 - Literature - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Literature / Consequence Of Wickedness Episode 1 (1238 Views)

Impregnate Me Or I Die (episode 1) / Consequence Of Evil (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Consequence Of Wickedness Episode 1 by Viciyoung(m): 2:15am On Aug 20, 2016
Chidinma was born in a very poor family . Her mother was one of those women who made a living by digging up stones or rocks and using hammer to break them into small pieces and selling to tipper drivers. it was a difficult job yet she barely make enough money to cater for her four children.
Her husband who was a roadside vulcanizer had died when Chidinma, his first child was twelve years old. It was obvious that Chidinma was no stranger to poverty and want.
Chidinma was in primary 5 when her father died and even when he was alive, Chidinma and her siblings then were always the last to pay their school fees. She could not count the number of times she and her siblings were jeered at by the other pupils when the teachers had called them out in front of the whole school when they still owed the school even fee days to the closing date and after they had been warned not to come to school
She had hated going to school because of the embarrassment but her father had always given her letters to the headmistress pleading for extra time.
To be continued
Re: Consequence Of Wickedness Episode 1 by Viciyoung(m): 2:17am On Aug 20, 2016
EPISODE 2

Continues..

Now that she had lost her father, she went from frying pan to fire. She dropped out of school to help her mother in her business of breaking and selling stone at the quarry.
The only thing going for Chidinma was her beauty. She was a very beautiful girl and any young man that saw her without turning to look at her must have a painful neck.
Five years after the death of her father, Chidinma, at the age of seventeen, ran into a young rich man who had been hurt several by the infidelity and bad manners of his successive city girl friends and who was ready to marry as soon as possible. This young man named Chinedu Okolo saw her on one of his visits to the village and decided to marry her because of her beauty and seeming innocence.
He got his people to pay her pride price and took over the payment of her school fees up until she took her JSS examination, which she failed woefully. He then took her to Onitsha as his wife.
It was when she came to live with her husband that Chidinma realized how wealthy her husband is. He happened to be an importer of Rolex watch. He had made a lot of money, he had five different houses of which he was occupying one of them. Chidinma lacked nothing that money could buy.
Her husband money instantly went to her head. She wanted desperately to belong to the jet set women around their neighborhood and in no time, she sought out only wives of the richest men around their neighborhood and practically forced herself on them for friendship. She would introduce herself to any of the rich ladies she wanted as friend in this or similar manner:
“Dear, so you are the owner of this Acura Jeep? Wow! Do you know that I almost mistook it for mine? I have the latest model of this, I mean the 2013 model. I did not come with it to church today because I came with my Hummer Jeep. That is the one that fits the colour of my suit, you see. Oh I forgot to introduce myself. My name is Chidinma Okolo, My husband is Chinedu Rolex watch”.
She liked the sound of her own voice and would talk at length without realizing that the person to whom she was talking to had not uttered a word.
many of such women would just reply her politely but would subsequently avoid her as they saw her as being too boastful, stupid and loquacious.
To be continued
Re: Consequence Of Wickedness Episode 1 by Viciyoung(m): 2:46pm On Aug 20, 2016
EPISODE 3..

Continues..

However as they say birds of a feather flocks together’. She had a lot of fair weather friends. they formed a clique and were always discussing the colour of cloth to wear for any occasion, the best way to deal with their Snoopy mother in-laws, how to deal ruthlessly with their maids and also gossip about neighborhood women who did not belong to their class, they even named themselves “Executive Ladies “.
Chidinma became a pain in her husband’s neck. Chinedu was a pain quiet easy going young man even though he was very rich. He believed that real men never beats their wife no matter the provocation. He don’t get angry easily but when he does, no body can predict his action.
for sometime now, He had been trying to get his wife to see reasons to stop gallivanting all over the town visiting her often over dressed, overly made up and fickle minded lady friends.
one he came home and told his wife to sit down that he wanted to talk to her about something. When she sat down he began “Chy dear I do not like the kind of friends you keep. how come you chose only the silliest and the most pompous of
ladies to befriend ? learn to monitor peoples character before making friends with them.
“Chinedu “, she retorted, ” so you now want to pick my friends for me ? Do I pick yours? alright let me get you paper and pen to write down the list of people I should befriend stupid Man” she hissed and walked away, grumbling .
Chinedu had never raised his hands against any woman but Chidinma had stretched his patience so much that it was almost getting to the breaking point
He wondered, “Where do some women learn to be silly and at the same time troublesome, Just look at the small and innocent looking girl I brought from village few years ago” oh ! He had said, remembering his reason for marrying her in the first place.
Chidinma continued as if her husband was pouring water on stone.
However what Chinedu found unbearable was how she treats her maids. She had had over ten maids since he brought her to town and the present maid called Rosa came a week ago.
she treats the poor girl like a rag , she don’t allow to lie on the bed rather she went and bought a mat for her. Chinedu stumble on the situation by chance when he had gone to find out why Rosa was sobbing in the middle of the night one day, only to find her lying on the floor there was vacant four bed in the house
To be continued
Re: Consequence Of Wickedness Episode 1 by Viciyoung(m): 2:51pm On Aug 20, 2016
EPISODE 4

Continues..

“Why are you lying on the floor , don’t you like the bed!
“Yes Sir, she replied .
“What do you mean by yes sir ” Chinedu asked impatiently.
“Madam warned me not to sleep on the bed
“What! are u sure of that”
“Yes Sir”, She had said
controlling his anger, he had decided not to say anything before Rosa anymore, after all, like they said, ‘the palm wine tapper does not say everything he saw while tapping’.
“Now why were you crying? He asked
“Nothing sir” She replied
What do you mean by nothing? I heard you clearly. I stood by your door and heard you sobbing for over two minutes before knocking. I will beat the hell out you now if you don’t open up right now! Do you think am here to play hide and seek with you? My friend talked now ! Chinedu said, sounding very angry.
“Please Sir, aunty will kill me if she realized that I talked to you . I am an orphan. I don’t have anywhere to run to if she drive me out” she pleaded passionately
“Don’t worry. Am I not the owner of this house? nothing will happen to you dear”, Chinedu had promised with certainty
It was this assurance that got the truth tumbling out
“Oga, I am hungry
“what do you mean you are hungry! Will I feed you like a baby” Chinedu asked
“madam did not give me any food. She only gave me sour soup but when I couldn’t eat it and drank garri with milk instead, we saw the plate while I was washing it and beat me severely with cane she rubbed pepper and refused to give me dinner”
“Are you sure of what you said, Chinedu asked sadly
“yes”
Chinedu stormed out and went into his wife’s room directly . He woke her up and demanded to know what transpired between her and Rosa
Chidinma began heaping all sorts of allegations against poor Rosa but in a very controlled voice, Chinedu began to caution his wife to take take it easy with the girl as she was only a small .
“Take her like your own sister and caution her as such . She will learn”, he had advised. “However , he pleaded, “Please, never, ever deny her food and what is the idea of preventing her from sleeping on the bed and giving her mat instead? Chidinma , how could you live with yourself, treating such a small girl with so much cruelty ? Please I don’t want to hear any more of that nonsense again”
” Why should she sleep on my bed? Does she sleep on a bed in her father’s house ?” Chidinma fired
“And how many beds were you sleeping on in your own father’s house?” Chinedu retorted angrily ” Don’t push me to do what we will both regret in this house, Chidinma” he warned, walking away
After Chinedu left for work the next morning, Chidinma called Rosa
“Rosa! Rosa! come out here you daughter of an expired maggot! witch I know they have sent you to destroy my home but I will never let you succeed” Chidinma tongue lashed her that she would have preferred to have been beaten up instead of all the nasty and hurtful words about her wretched poverty stricken parentage. Chidinma warned Rosa that the next time she talk to her husband about been maltreated would be her last in that house. she pulled and twisted Rosa’s ears, knocked her head severally with her knuckle and slapped her, leaving finger marks on her face.
To be continued
Re: Consequence Of Wickedness Episode 1 by Viciyoung(m): 2:53pm On Aug 20, 2016
Episode 5

Continues.

When Rosa went down stairs to spread cloths later that day, she was still sobbing silently and when their neighbors, Mrs Ugwu and Nwora saw her as they were returning from the market, they tried to find out what was wrong with her but she refused to talk fearing for her dear life.
The two women decided to go and talk with Chidinma the next morning
It was not a secret how Chidinma maltreats her house helps and of course, Rosa was not an exceptional
“This is getting too much” Mrs Ugwu said. “One day this woman will kill this girl in this very compound and then the police will come and pack all of us to their station and there they will tell us how much to pay for ‘I no follow’.
Mrs. Nwora couldn’t help bursting into laughter after which she said ” Do you know that Ijeoma my house help told me that this woman despite their wealth, did not only starve this girl but also design her body with razor and subjected her to all sort of cruelty’ and to make matters worse”, she continue, “this woman had been collecting Rosa’s school fees from her husband but did not let the poor girl go to school and her husband who would have done something about it did not even know because he never came home from work earlier than 7 pm most days. What sort of wickedness is this ” she queried.
The next morning, after Chinedu had gone to work, the two women went to Chidinma as. they had planned but unfortunately for them , Rosa had told them that she was not at home .
“She went for Friday prayers,” Rosa said.
Chidinma left very early that morning with five set of 10 liter gallons of water for collecting holy. water all packed into the boot of her car.
“Friday prayers indeed”, Mrs Nwora had sneered
“just imagine this wicked woman O! After maltreating her maid, she had the effrontery and hypocritical piety to go for prayers with gallons for collecting holy water! There is nothing one cannot see oo. Saint Michael,” she sneered.
Mrs. Ugwu sighed “I. wonder at the level of hypocrisy in this our society . People commit all kinds of atrocities ranging from pirating people’s book, music and films, adulterating drugs that could lead to death of thousands , kidnapping, raping or killing others for rituals or political reasons, snatching properties from widows , orphans, and the helpless and yet they think that God did not see them. They dress up and rush to sit at front row in the church , all pious and ‘holier than thou’, stupidly expecting God to answer their hypocritical prayers!”
Don’t they know that he who goes to equity must go with clean hands?” Mrs. Nwora interjected in bewilderment .
“NNE let’s go, we shall come back tomorrow . Chidinma had not heard the last from us”. Mrs. Ugwu promised as they left.

To be continued after comments
Re: Consequence Of Wickedness Episode 1 by summerflame(m): 10:55pm On Aug 20, 2016
nice piece u got here. God bless u
Re: Consequence Of Wickedness Episode 1 by Viciyoung(m): 2:18am On Aug 21, 2016
EPISODE 6..
Continues..

Despite these women’s subsequent interventions, Chidinma continued with her wickedness towards Rosa and since she had severely threatened her with both physical abuse and being sent packing, she didn’t give room for her master, Chinedu to know the extent of abuse she was constantly subjected to.
Eventually, Rosa started stealing money and saving it for the rainy days because she could take the abuse no more and she had to leave the house but not without something to show for all the abuse she was made to endure, she reasoned.
she hatched a wicked plan which in her progressively warped mind was a justifiable revenge for all that she had gone through at Chidinma hands .
Obinna and Sonwa were the apple of their mother’s eyes. Chidinma could give her life for her children any time, she did not joke with their welfare. She constantly gossiped with her husband’s name in front of them, often telling them how unloving their father is.
Any time Chinedu tried to discipline them, Chidinma would abuse him for being too hard on them. On one occasion, she had slapped and engaged Chinedu in fisticuffs over this issue but the kind of beating she had got from Chinedu on that day had kept her in check henceforth. Though Chinedu was a gentleman , he could not stand being slapped by a woman , much less his own wife. These days , Chidinma would keep a reasonable distance while hurling vernal ‘boko haram’ explosive-words at Chinedu anytime he touch the children or scold them.
Your guess is as good as mine the kind of training Chidinma was giving her children with regards to respect for elders and specifically their father .
To be continued
Re: Consequence Of Wickedness Episode 1 by Viciyoung(m): 2:21am On Aug 21, 2016
EPISODE 7..

Continues...

Ugochukwu, their neighbor’s son, recounted what sonwa, Chidinma’s daughter once said one day all the compound kids were playing downstairs and Chinedu had come in from work. His two kids had run past him without greeting him and when he got upstairs, he had called both of them to come up and Sonwa had exploded in anger, ” This our daddy is a very stupid and wicked old man. Ugo had recounted this to his mother, laughing but his mother scolded him for finding such flippancy and disrespect amusing.
One day Chidinma had a serious confrontation with her son’s teacher. It happened that a child by name, Godswill, had come crying to their teacher that his money for snacks was missing from his bad.
“Did I not tell you children not to come to school with cash? We had even told your parents during the P.T.A meeting to buy snacks for you and not to give you money.What if something happens to you on your way to buy snacks? Let this be the last time somebody will come to school with money for snacks”, The class teacher had warned them. ” Meanwhile how much is the money” She asked.
“N100,” he said, and whispering into the teacher’s ear, he told her that he had written ‘stolen’ at the end of the money.
The teacher scolded him in a low voice for defacing the money and told him never to do such again.
“This information will come handy in solving the problem at hand now” the teacher said “but it should not justify the defacing of our currency, If everyone should write as they liked on the currency, it would have become an exercise book and not money anymore”,
“Everybody line up!” The teacher had turned to the rest of the class and commanded.
She ran her hands in their pockets as they go out of the class. while they were outside, She started methodically to search their bags. it was at the 10th bag that she saw a crumpled N100 note. She spread it and beheld it! There, at the left end of the note is the inscription, ‘stolen’.
Mrs. Okwuora the teacher looked at the name on the books in the bag and then read of the name, Obinna Chinedu Okolo
Obinna Chinedu Okolo!” thundered the teacher. “come in here immediately”
“How did this money get into your bag?” Mrs. Okwuora asked.
“it is my money. My mother gave it to me
“That is a big lie,” she said showing him the inscription, ‘stolen’ but he still kept denying.
When Chidinma was invited she came, spitting fire.
“How dare you accuse my son of stealing! Do you know how wealthy we are ! Do you know that my husband, Chinedu Rolex Watch, is the wealthiest man in this town , We have five Jeeps, Five duplexes, etc How can my son steal ordinary N100! You must apologize to me for this insult ”
She completely refused to listen to what the teacher had to say, in a flash, she removed one of her High heeled shoes and would have drilled a hole in the teacher’s head if Mrs Okwuora hadn’t run out of the class
The class teacher reported Chidinma to the headmaster who invited her husband, Chinedu to come to school immediately
when he arrived and heard what happened, he was so embarrassed that he wished the earth could just open and swallow him up, He apologized profusely to the headmaster and the teacher and practically dragged his wife and son home
He so tongue lashed Chidinma that if she were a sane human being , she would never have made trouble again , but as a proverb said, – ‘a dog that is about to die does not perceive the smell of faeces’.
However , after severely flogging Obinna, Chinedu had warned him never to try such again.
After he left, Chidinma as usual, cuddled her son, petting him while cursing her husband aloud for his wickedness tp his own children
“How could he side with other people against his own family?” she said
“Even if you had taken the money, so what! Is it not just N100?, just look at my son’s body ” she complained touching the cane stripes on his body.
Meanwhile Rosa who had been witnessing all the conspiracies between Chidinma and her children against Chinedu, hated all of them with passion and was bidding her time and making her plans.
As far as she was concern, it is Chidinma with her children against Chinedu and herself ………
what do you think Rosa is planning to do ?
To be continued
Re: Consequence Of Wickedness Episode 1 by Viciyoung(m): 7:33pm On Aug 28, 2016
EPISODE 8..

Noticing the disharmony within Chinedu’s family, Rosa secretly allied with Chinedu without his own knowledge . She hatched a plan to deal with Chidinma and her children who had made the house too hostile for her and her secret ally, her master Chinedu.
Sonwa and Obinna soon started suffering incessantly and inexplicably from typhoid fever. After treatment , it would recur. This consistently happened for twelve months and finally , one Sunday morning, Chidinma got up early, around 5am to wake up her children for Sunday Mass. She stood at their door, knocked and called out their names to wake up, but there was no answer. She called them repeatedly and then went into their room . what she saw made her stand transfixed.
There, were the children lying in different positions, holding on to their stomachs and foaming from the mouth!
The grotesque look on their faces left nothing to the imagination about their painful deaths. Chidinma gave a heart rending wail and fainted .
When nobody saw Rosa despite all the noise , shouts and wailings by neighbors who were trooping in after the discovery of the dead bodies , they searched the whole house but to no avail. She was nowhere to found. And so, it took no soothsayer to make every one believe that Rosa knew the cause of their deaths.
A massive manhunt was therefore organized for Rosa and within three days , she was traced to her maternal cousins house at the village .
“Why, Rosa?” Chinedu had sobbed when Rosa was dragged in handcuffs, into the police station.
“How could you do this to me after all my kindness to you?
“But, Oga, I did if for you. They hated you and always conspired with madam against you” she had said crying.
“They were my children, my own blood and you poisoned them”, Chinedu had sobbed.
“I am so sorry Oga, I just wanted to teach madam a lesson, for making my life. miserable and for turning the children against you. please, Oga, I thought you would be happy but I didn’t know you would be angry with me. she had said naively, bursting into tears and begging for forgiveness .
Rosa was taken to juvenile court from where she was taken to a remand home where she was sentenced to because of her young age. She was only fifteen years at the time ..
It was eight months later that Mrs. perpetual, wife of the Governor of the state , visited the remand home and a very young and beautiful girl, seemingly well mannered , who happened to be Rosa, Had come to present the bouquet of flowers to her. She was taken aback to find such an innocent looking girl in such a home. She had expected the remand home to be completely populated by wild cats with scars all over their haggard bodies.
She was curious about what could have brought such a girl to a place like that.
She promptly made enquires, saw the scars on Rosa’s made body, especially where Chidinma had burnt her back with hot iron, saw the razor marks and the crisscrossing cane marks all over her body. she heard all the verbal abuses Rosa was subjected. to anud understood. what could have unhooked Rosa’s mind to have perpetrated the kind of crime she was said to have committed and for which she was paying at the remand home. She believed that if she were properly rehabilitated, she might still turn out a better person. She decided to do something about it .
Discussing with his Excellency, her husband , she had wondered aloud how some women could mete out cruelty to other people’s children while exhibiting inordinate love for theirs.
Oftentimes, she had told her husband, that women claimed that house helps were possessed when in actual fact, their wickedness and maltreatment to those maids had actually bewitched these makes and made them. commit heinous crimes against the children they were supposed to look after.
Mrs. perpetual the Governor’s wife promptly pleaded on Rosa’s behalf And through the advocacy of the members of the prerogative of mercy, Rosa was released to the Governor’s wife who adopted her and took over her education.
She educated her to the university level , found a good job for her and thereby completely turning her life around.
To be continued
Re: Consequence Of Wickedness Episode 1 by Viciyoung(m): 7:35pm On Aug 28, 2016
EPISODE 9..

Meanwhile, Chinedu had promptly divorced Chidinma for indirectly causing the death of their children through her wickedness which unhinged the mind of their maid, Rosa leading to her poisoning her ill bred children , supposedly to make her go through misery , forgetting that the. children equally belonged to her ‘friend ‘ Chinedu, and that murder should never be a means of settling of scores.
Chidinma had pleaded on her knees, promising to change, to become a better wife and to give him more children but all her pleadings had fallen on deaf ears. Chinedu had had enough!
“please woman, take whatever you. want and leave my house before I come back tomorrow night” Chinedu had said to her with finality.
He had left his house and by the time. he came back the next day, Chidinma who had understood that it was really over, had stripped the whole house bare, taking everything of value: The chairs, the televisions, video. players, tables, beds, water dispenser, fridges, kitchen cabinet, name them.
Even though Chinedu had known Chidinma to be greedy , he didn’t realize just now greedy she really was up till that day.
“How could she have taken everything? He wondered aloud. The only furniture she had. left was the one she couldn’t get access to.
“Wow”, he marveled “some mother’s really do have ’em…. well, good riddance to bad rubbish,” he said to him self.
Chinedu had left his house like that for six months, mourning his children .
One year later, he remarried and moved on. His wife , Uche, later had five children and Chinedu, right from the outset, stamped his. authority in his house as the head of the family and did not let his. wife toy with the total welfare of every member of his household: house helps inclusive. He insisted that nobody in his house ate anything that was not shared to every member, house helps inclusive: No discipline was carried out that was punitive.
It was however not difficult for him to instill this into his wife, Uche because she was a very good person, naturally. She was the daughter of a former diplomat, Ambassador Tam Ebelendu, former Nigerian ambassador to Switzerland and she was a lawyer by profession.
Imagine the irony of life! Chinedu would always smile to himself whenever he juxtaposed Chidinma’s background against Uche’s . This was the case of someone who never knew he could take the Ozo title wearing the title rope up to his neck, Chinedu would muse to himself , referring to Chidinma’s antecedent.
To be continued
Re: Consequence Of Wickedness Episode 1 by Viciyoung(m): 7:37pm On Aug 28, 2016
EPISODE 10..

One year after her divorce , Chidinma had practically finished all the money she made from selling off Chinedu properties which she had made away with. she was back to square one. as they say, ‘what goes around comes around’. She was desperately in need of resources to keep body and soul together.
Chidinma never finished school nor learnt. any skill and so she didn’t have any means of livelihood. it did not take her long to resort to prostitution as an option.
Two years into the illicit business, she became pregnant. She tried pinning it to one of her lovers but the poor man listed to her at list four other men he had seen her with and whose pictures he had taken with his phone when he had seen them holding hands or kissing in a restaurant he owned without her knowledge.
This shut Chidinma up and she ended up having her child all by herself.
By this time, she was desperately wretched as she was no longer as attractive as she used to be and so found it difficult to attract rich men
It was the female child she had, whom she named gift, had to bear the brunt of her mother’s reckless life. She was only eight years old when Chidinma started sending her out as house help to people after collecting money for upfront.
After some time in one household, Chidinma would concoct one story or another to go collect her from the house and take her to another household for more money and gifts.
This was how the poor girl started so early in life to see first hand, different kinds of animals walking around , calling themselves human beings. Poor. helpless gift suffered all kinds of abuses.
The first person she was sent to was Madam. Uju who promised to send her. to. school but ended up keeping her at home for two years, hawking groundnuts for her in the mornings when other children of her age were at school. When eventually she registered her into afternoon school , she would ensure she didn’t have a moment of rest before it was time for school. She made sure she never bought her any text book. She only had two exercise books for writing all assignments. To make matters worst , she was constantly sent out. of school for non payment of school fees...
her mother took her away three years later and. sent her to a woman running a restaurant. This woman called Madam Hoo-ha did not even remember that a girl of her age was supposed to be in school. She would make her work from morning till night preparing food for her and her customers. Whenever she mention school, her. madam would. shut her up with slaps and curses. “after all the. money I paid your mother , you expect me to send u to school” She shouted at her
one day a customer came to their shop and asked gift to served him some drinks, while she was doing so the guy pressed her brea.st and started. smiling. expecting the girl to smile back but he was short of. words when the girl slapped him
“How dare you slap me gift”! he thundered “just because I touched this two decayed oranges you are carrying around ” ,
While he. was shouting madam heard. him and came out to find out what was happening , “customer please what is the problem ” she asked
“is it not this stupid girl called gift that just raised. her filthy. hands and slapped me ” he said
“What!!!! did you do. that gift” she asked
“yes aunty, I did because he pressed my b.reast ” she replied almost crying
“so they have sent you. to come and chase my customers away, you. enemy of. progress ! come here immediately before I. roast you alive. she shouted.
“Customer please don’t be annoyed, you want the front right? oya press any how you want ” she said pushing the poor girl to the customer.
“Madam I. don’t want the front again, the back will do ” he said Happily
“turn your back now before I kill you , stupid girl” she said to gift which she did while crying. the man pressed her butto.cks till. he was satisfied and left her.
To be continued
Re: Consequence Of Wickedness Episode 1 by Viciyoung(m): 7:38pm On Aug 28, 2016
EPISODE 11

A year later, Chidinma came back with her concocted story, took the helpless girl and sent to another woman called Linda , after collecting money up front as usual . This woman turn out to be a predator on poor, terminally sick and helpless people in need of medical help.
She ran a syndicate that specialized in sending their lieutenants to the remote villages to lure cancer patients , mentally unbalanced, crippled, or very sick people in need of surgery, with the promise of paying for their bills.
What these sick people did not know was that they would be sent out to beg in the streets and the proceeds of their begging will be collected forcefully from them. At the end of the day, they would be left so impoverished that they did not even have enough money to escape this life imprisonment even if they so desired.
Gift was made the treasurer during these begging periods. Her duty was to collect money from sympathizers while the sick person moves painfully along with them, displaying his/her disfigured body to attract people’s pity and make them drop money into Gift’s pouch for collecting money while their disguised security man count and keeps tab on all the money drop into the pouch . At the end of the day, he counts and hand the money to their madam.
this continued for two years, and since Chidinma her mother was handsomely compensated, she did not come with her usual story .
Meanwhile, Gift was so miserable at the kind of life she was subjected to: no education, no skill, and no expectation of better life in future. To make matters worst, all the men working with the syndicate had at one time or the other raped her and when she complained to her madam, she had warned her not to disrupt her business with such nonsense talk.
One fateful day, Gift decided that she had had enough of abuse both from her so called mother and her madam, including her workers. She decided to run away but had to bid her time because their security man, who was her worst molester , had his eagle eyes trained on her all the time.
It was one Friday that she got the opportunity when they had gone to the market with a cancer patient who was in so much pains that she was walking slowly while she, Gift was moving in front begging and dropping the proceed into their bag .
Suddenly, a shout of “theft! theft! erupted and a young man , running at ‘Ben Johnson’ speed ran past, pursued by a crowd of people.
At that instant, Gift melted into the crowd with the bag full money!
She ran for sometime and took off in a different direction. from the crowd and got lost inside the market.
As she was running, she was looking back to ensure she was not been followed by their security man. she continued this way until she heard the screeching of a vehicle, felt an excruciating pain and passed out.
When she woke up, she was lying on a bed and she saw a strange woman peering down at her. She roamed her eyes round the room and felt confused. It was not the squalid room she had been familiar with for two years now and the smell was not as pungent as the one she was used to .
“Where am I , Ma”, she had asked the woman who hurriedly called out to a nurse, informing her that the girl had regained consciousness.
It then dawned on her that she was in a hospital .
At that instant the nurse bent down and and touched her leg, drawing a wince from her because of the pains that radiated throughout her body.
“oh” She screamed. “what happened to me” she asked
“You were knocked down by a car and broke your left leg but you will get well soon as you are still very young. Don’t worry dear, said the woman.
As the strange woman was still talking, all the memory came flooding back to her and she panicked . She sat up abruptly but felt an excruciating pain in her leg and all over her body which made her fall back on the bed.
“Aunty , please don’t let them take me back,” She begged passionately.
“Who” asked the woman
“okito” she replied
“Who is that ?”
“Our security ”
“What are you talking about sweetheart ?”
“I was running away from him”
“Was he the owner of the money you had in your purse tied around your waist?”
Gift was silent and so the woman told her that her name was Mrs. Rosa Ugwu and that it was her car that knocked her down when she ran into her path, head long, looking over her shoulders .
“Start from the beginning and tell me every thing, baby girl” Rosa had prodded her kindly.
Gift then narrated her life story but claim that she an orphan who did not even know her mother. In fact she narrated all that she went through in life except of her been trafficked by her own mother, rather she lied that it was her step mother. She did not want the kind lady to take her back to her mother.
“I am better off an orphan”, she had thought to herself
As Gift was talking, tears were dripping down Rosa’s eyes uncontrollably
“how could one, so young had gone through so much “,she had wondered
She wondered why the Government could not do something about all these helpless orphans that were maltreated by relations and abused by the society. Is it impossible for an agency to be established in local governments, to seek out such. children , build schools for them give them free education , accommodation and also teach them skills!
Often , one hears of Government budgeting billions of naira on security but if such money is budgeted for the education of the indigent, the orphans and the helpless , the society would have less security challenges because most of these indigent, abandoned and abused children often ends up been forced into crime by the vicissitudes of life .
To be continued
Re: Consequence Of Wickedness Episode 1 by Viciyoung(m): 7:40pm On Aug 28, 2016
LAST EPISODE 12.

Rosa was so lost in this reverie that she was startled when she felt Gift’s hand tap her on the wrist saying something she didn’t hear.
“what did you say, my dear,” she had asked kindly.
“I don’t ever want to go back to madam Linda. I will rather kill myself than go back there”.
“Don’t worry , dear I will see what I can do”. She had promised.
Rosa went outside made some phone calls and came back
“My dear, I know exactly what you have gone through because I had experienced such as a young child but to the glory of God , I came out of it stronger and a better person.
I have been married for five years without a child and I live alone with my husband who is the best man any woman could ask for ”
She continued “I have spoken to him and he said I should bring you home so that we take you to the police station.”
“Police station !” Gift shouted.
“Aunty , so you want to leave me at the police station? I thought you were a kind aunty. so you want them to take me back to madam Linda? She asked sadly, her eyes filling up with tears.
“hold on dear, I will do no such thing . I will have to report to the police and then request that I take you home . I plan to go to welfare department and adopt you legally. It is illegal to just pick a child on the road and take her home just like that ”
Rosa live in Ibadan with her husband. She had come back to Alaudo, her husband’s village, for a burial and was to stay for one week.
She subsequently stayed long enough to sort out the preliminary documentation for an adoption and took gift home with her to Ibadan and that was how the poor girl’s life changed.
Meanwhile Rosa couldn’t help wondering about the policy of the country on welfare generally especially that of children.
She remembered her own abusive early years and how she nearly lost her life if not for mother luck.
Now, look at this poor child and the abuse she had gone through, what would have become of her if I hadn’t run into her in such a dramatic and nearly fatal fashion? She wondered .
Rosa registered gift into a very good primary school. Because of her age, she was registered into primary five and a very good private teacher was arranged for her private lessons.
Gift turned out to be intelligent. she was able to, in no time catch up with the other children. The hunger to make something out of her life was an overriding motivation for her.
After primary education, she gained admission into a government secondary school. throughout her secondary school education, she kept on taking the first position.
She made the best result and broke her school record in WAEC by getting straight ‘A’ in all her subjects, thereby winning a scholarship to any university of her choice to study Social Welfare. By this time, she had grown into a very beautiful but level headed girl.
It did not take long before Gift caught the attention of the youngest but most eligible professor of pharmacology in her school. They both fell in love at first sight and before long , he proposed to her and she accepted..
Rosa , her surrogate mother and her husband spared no expense at making the wedding a memorable one
Gift and her husband sent out their invitation cards to their friends and relations and it happened that Chidinma , now an old tattered woman, went to hospital one day to collect her medication for her arthritis. All the chairs were occupied expect the one which only had a bag on it. She was so weak that she had to sit down until whoever kept the bag came back. When she picked up the big in order to sit down, she found a very beautiful card lying under the bag and picked it up to admire it after sitting down.
“This must have cost a lot of money. Imagine how much people spend on mere wedding cards when people like me borrow money to buy ordinary drugs. this world nawa oo,” she had lamented.
“There are even pictures of the couple on the card” She had said to herself, turning the inside page.
“Ah, this lady looks familiar!” she thought as she peered closely at the picture and it dawned on her like a bolt from the blues!
“Gift! it is Gift ooooooo, my Gift, my daughter! my long lost daughter Gift!” she shouted , jumping up from her seat, with the other patients looking at her in surprise
She quickly sat down again , excitedly and read the card, after which she left hurriedly: taking the card with her before the owner could come back.
Chidimna traced Gift to the venue of the wedding , sat at the last row of seats and it was the shock of her life when the woman introduced as the bride’s mother turned out to be Rosa, her former maid!
Rosa whom she had beaten to pulp, verbally abused and accused of being possessed and finally goaded into committing murder! The murder of her children.
It was true she had learnt of Rosa’s adoption by Her Excellency. She thought she had heard the last of her when Rosa was reported to have gone abroad for further education only for her to appear now and to be addressed today, as the mother of Gift , “my own sweet daughter”, Chidinma thought weeping silently.
“What a small world”, she said to her self amidst tears.
She turned and walked silently away, depressed and remorseful for all her useless, wicked and irresponsible life.
“Surely” she had lamented to herself , “No condition is permanent” and as they say ‘ those we see on our way up are often the same people we see on our way down’.
She was so depressed and inconsolable that she died two weeks later without gift and Rosa ever knowing anything about it. As far as Gift was concerned , her real mother died the very moment she conceived the idea of turning her into a chattel to be sold off to the highest bidder.
Gift had often thought to herself, MOTHERHOOD IS NOT ONLY BIOLOGICALLY BUT AN OVERRIDING SENSE OF RESPONSIBILITY FOR THE TOTAL WELL BEING OF A CHILD”
********** The End**********
FOOD FOR THOUGHT
In this life, we have to make many
choices. Some are very important choices.
Some are not. Many of our choices are
between good and evil. The choices we
make, however, determine to a large
extent our happiness or our unhappiness,
because we have to live with the
consequences of our choices.
A big thanks to all my wonderful readers ….. .. remain blessed!

(1) (Reply)

A Stranger In America / Home Gal Self Publishes Her First Novel / Sunset At Dawn

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 118
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.