Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,854 members, 7,802,738 topics. Date: Friday, 19 April 2024 at 08:22 PM

Help My Brake Making A Grinding Noise When I Applied It!! - Car Talk - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / Help My Brake Making A Grinding Noise When I Applied It!! (1355 Views)

Grinding Noise In A Car - These Are Some Likely Reasons / Help My Kia Cerato Is Making Unusual Noise When I Shift The Gear Stick / Please Help!!! My Brake Pedal Goes All The Way Down (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Help My Brake Making A Grinding Noise When I Applied It!! by steveyen(m): 8:25am On Aug 20, 2016
Dear Nairalander.

I have been having this effect on my brakes. Sometimes when I pressed the brake pedals I will hear a grinding sound like grssshhhhh.

The brake pedal is not vibrating. I have checked brake fluid , ok. Also I have had all the calipers serviced still same thing.

My mechanic is suggesting that the ABS controller might be malfunctioning. He said it cant be the brake disc since the pedal is not bouncing on the legs just only the grinding noise.

Please I need help on this. The noise is really frustrating.

Thanks in advance.
Re: Help My Brake Making A Grinding Noise When I Applied It!! by steveyen(m): 8:30am On Aug 20, 2016
To add to the above I drive a 04 Maxima.
Re: Help My Brake Making A Grinding Noise When I Applied It!! by Destined2win: 8:49am On Aug 20, 2016
Check the brake pads too
Re: Help My Brake Making A Grinding Noise When I Applied It!! by honmusa(m): 9:32am On Aug 20, 2016
steveyen:
Dear Nairalander.

I have been having this effect on my brakes. Sometimes when I pressed the brake pedals I will hear a grinding sound like grssshhhhh.

The brake pedal is not vibrating. I have checked brake fluid , ok. Also I have had all the calipers serviced still same thing.

My mechanic is suggesting that the ABS controller might be malfunctioning. He said it cant be the brake disc since the pedal is not bouncing on the legs just only the grinding noise.

Please I need help on this. The noise is really frustrating.

Thanks in advance.
Seems like abs issue ,you need to get a professional to scan the abs module for you with professional scanner .
Seems we have a pending appointment that you are yet to show up .
Re: Help My Brake Making A Grinding Noise When I Applied It!! by GAZZUZZ(m): 4:14pm On Aug 20, 2016
poor quality brake pads. Check all wheels to see the abount of braking material left
Re: Help My Brake Making A Grinding Noise When I Applied It!! by DaimlerBen(m): 4:35pm On Aug 20, 2016
GAZZUZZ:
poor quality brake pads. Check all wheels to see the abount of braking material left
It could also be that his discs are wearing out instead of the pads.
Re: Help My Brake Making A Grinding Noise When I Applied It!! by jaz(m): 4:36pm On Aug 20, 2016
Please I've got a different concern.

The coolant in the radiator flows back into the reservour and then out through the overflow hole which makes the coolant fluid run dry and illuminate the overheat indicator.

How do I correct this please
Re: Help My Brake Making A Grinding Noise When I Applied It!! by honmusa(m): 4:52pm On Aug 20, 2016
jaz:
Please I've got a different concern.

The coolant in the radiator flows back into the reservour and then out through the overflow hole which makes the coolant fluid run dry and illuminate the overheat indicator.

How do I correct this please
Very simple,just change the cap.
Re: Help My Brake Making A Grinding Noise When I Applied It!! by Piyke: 6:44pm On Aug 20, 2016
OP is your brake pads AutoBoss brand?
Re: Help My Brake Making A Grinding Noise When I Applied It!! by steveyen(m): 6:57am On Aug 21, 2016
Destined2win:
Check the brake pads too

Thanks for the contribution. This was the 1st point of call. I checked the pads and ask my mechanics to do the same seems they are okay
Re: Help My Brake Making A Grinding Noise When I Applied It!! by kingreign(m): 6:59am On Aug 21, 2016
Re: Help My Brake Making A Grinding Noise When I Applied It!! by kingreign(m): 7:00am On Aug 21, 2016
Piyke:
OP is your brake pads AutoBoss brand?

Na autoboss.e no go pass am.
Re: Help My Brake Making A Grinding Noise When I Applied It!! by kingreign(m): 7:01am On Aug 21, 2016
steveyen:

Thanks for the contribution. This was the 1st point of call. I checked the pads and ask my mechanics to do the same seems they are okay

Change, not check, change them.
Re: Help My Brake Making A Grinding Noise When I Applied It!! by steveyen(m): 7:21am On Aug 21, 2016
honmusa:

Seems like abs issue ,you need to get a professional to scan the abs module for you with professional scanner .
Seems we have a pending appointment that you are yet to show up .

Oga Honmusa thanks for your advice here. As for the appointment, I gave up after calling you severally and you always tell me you are busy with other works or not around. It seems u re a very busy man.
Re: Help My Brake Making A Grinding Noise When I Applied It!! by steveyen(m): 7:38am On Aug 21, 2016
Thanks all for the contribution.

The problems seems not to be from brake pad or the disc.

By stroke of luck I got an insight into the problem. I was driving out early this with the usual grinding noise while braking, then suddenly, my ABS light came on together with SLIP sign on the dashboard ( VDC off has been showing before, though that seems to be coming from steering angle error. Costee helped with this before) . After the lights came on , the grinding noise while braking suddenly disappeared. Then I parked to get somethings. When I started the car again to go back home, the ABS and the SLIP did not come on and the grinding sound is back again.
Re: Help My Brake Making A Grinding Noise When I Applied It!! by Nobody: 10:36am On Aug 21, 2016
Scan. Your right rear ABS wheel sensor is probably corroded and overladen with grit. It requires a replacement. If no improvement, then the ABS actuator itself needs change.
Re: Help My Brake Making A Grinding Noise When I Applied It!! by honmusa(m): 11:37am On Aug 21, 2016
steveyen:

Oga Honmusa thanks for your advice here. As for the appointment, I gave up after calling you severally and you always tell me you are busy with other works or not around. It seems u re a very busy man.
If Monday is OK for u ,l am all for you.
Re: Help My Brake Making A Grinding Noise When I Applied It!! by Nyceguy92: 5:40pm On Aug 21, 2016
Worn brake pads make a whistling noise when the metal metal wear indicator scrapes your disc/rotor.

Most likely your brake disc/rotor has got uneven surfaces.

The noise come from your pads trying to navigate the uneven surfaces during braking.

All you need is a simple inspection by a mechanic to pinpoint the exact problem.

(1) (Reply)

Do You Want A New Hummer Comeback? / Ondo State Car Race 2017 / 2020 Toyota 4runner Reviews And Specifications

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 21
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.