Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,693 members, 7,802,017 topics. Date: Friday, 19 April 2024 at 07:57 AM

Implication Of Wrong Tyre Pressure - Car Talk (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / Implication Of Wrong Tyre Pressure (9383 Views)

Prevalence Of Wrong Auto Diagnostics In Nigeria / What Is The Recommended Tyre Pressure?' This Revelation Will Surprise You / O7 Camry Tyre Pressure Monitor Display Issues And Error Code P0441 Issue (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Implication Of Wrong Tyre Pressure by Yelowfellow: 10:40am On Aug 21, 2016
*IMPORTANT INFORMATION TO ALL VEHICLE USERS*
Many people have been wondering what could be the cause of the incessant tyre burst accidents on Nigerian roads. *The major cause is that we put too much pressure in our tyres.*
How did I know?
I was preparing for a journey, I changed some of my tyres and asked the vulcanizer what the recommended tyre pressure was, and he said 50. I said alright, he should inflate it to 50 all round. When I got to where I was going, I was discussing with some people on the issue of the minister that died on the road due to a burst tyre and wondered what could have happened because nobody could imagine that a minister would be traveling with expired tyres as many would think is the major cause of tyre bursts.
A man (who lived in the US for many years) said that the major cause of tyre bursts in Nigeria is that we put too much pressure in our tyres and that *each car has a recommended tyre size and pressure clearly written on it by the manufacturer.*
*I was surprised and asked him to show me where it's written on my car.
To my greatest surprise, *it was by the driver's door* which I enter everyday without noticing it.
By the time we checked, the recommended pressure for my tyres is 32! and I had just traveled with tyres on a pressure of 50!
He took me round his compound and showed me that of the cars (which included a Jeep and a Sienna) there, the highest was 32. Some were even 29!
He further explained that *tyres are made from rubber and expand at high temperature.* So, when your are traveling in the afternoon when the asphalt on the road is hot, the tyre will want to expand. *If the pressure in the tyre is too much and wouldn't accommodate the expansion, a burst is likely to happen at that time.*
*Please check the recommended tyre pressure for your vehicle and others you know.*
As many Nigerians as possible need to read this. Thanks. *copied*

2 Likes

Re: Implication Of Wrong Tyre Pressure by dokiOloye(m): 10:42am On Aug 21, 2016
Gegz:
So recently I researched recommended psi for front and rare wheels of cars. Three things I learnt

1) most cars have their front wheel psi higher than the rare wheels because the front wheel psi supports the engines of these cars hence, they have higher psi's than the rare wheels.
2) most recommended psi's from the manufacturing companies sometimes don't really apply considering the country of usage and the quality of roads in these countries hence, varrying air pressures as against company recommended pressures
3)personal opinion though, I think if the recommended psi range is between 30-32,35... Any further increment should be between the said 35-40 or at most 45.... To avoid over inflating these tyres for these tyres not to burst on the road considering the facts that's air in tyres expand due to heat.

Have a great and smooth Sunday guys
I have never seen a car wt d front wheel PSI higher than d rear.
It's usually d other way round.

2 Likes

Re: Implication Of Wrong Tyre Pressure by dokiOloye(m): 10:49am On Aug 21, 2016
Sincere4u:

You made what I think is a very fine point and that is why I am quoting you to know what you think of my own idea.
That Tyres could act as part of shock absorbers when inflated to desirable pressures is something that had never occurred to me yet so true.
My take on this topic is that I feel it's better to follow the car manufacturer's exact recommended tyres and inflate slightly below that recommendation cos we are practically in a much warmer region than where those recommendations where made.
I have never come across a car on which the recommendation is as low as 30psi!!!. First time I heard or read about it I was surprised and the lady that mentioned it was complaining that her tyres looked quite under inflated and dragged on the road. I just asked her to check the recommended pressure for the tyre she bought and it was way higher than 30 so I advised she should go by the tyres own capacity and inflate below that. That ended her problems.
The recommended tyre pressure for my present car is 60psi but I use 45 and it works for me.
Pls what kind of cars usually have such very low recommended pressures. I would really like to know.
My 2009 C300 has a PSI of 30 for d front wheels and 35 for d rear.D front tires usu look underinflated esp when U are looking at it from a higher ground eg from upstairs but I can assure U I have d smoothest ride ever.If U over or under inflate by as little as 2PSI,d TPMS indicator will immediately come up on d instrument cluster.
Re: Implication Of Wrong Tyre Pressure by vani86: 10:57am On Aug 21, 2016
Sincere4u:

You made what I think is a very fine point and that is why I am quoting you to know what you think of my own idea.
That Tyres could act as part of shock absorbers when inflated to desirable pressures is something that had never occurred to me yet so true.
My take on this topic is that I feel it's better to follow the car manufacturer's exact recommended tyres and inflate slightly below that recommendation cos we are practically in a much warmer region than where those recommendations where made.
I have never come across a car on which the recommendation is as low as 30psi!!!. First time I heard or read about it I was surprised and the lady that mentioned it was complaining that her tyres looked quite under inflated and dragged on the road. I just asked her to check the recommended pressure for the tyre she bought and it was way higher than 30 so I advised she should go by the tyres own capacity and inflate below that. That ended her problems.
The recommended tyre pressure for my present car is 60psi but I use 45 and it works for me.
Pls what kind of cars usually have such very low recommended pressures. I would really like to know.

60 psi, thats a lot, my car is a 2009 camry. Whats yours
Re: Implication Of Wrong Tyre Pressure by FlyboyZee: 12:49pm On Aug 21, 2016
Sincere4u:

2010 Honda Civic - 32psi
2010 Honda Pilot - 32psi

The pix attached are for the Pilot. Honda recommended 32psi, while Maxxis instructed that their tyre should not be inflated beyond 44 psi. To be on the safe side, I stuck to Honda's advice...

Re: Implication Of Wrong Tyre Pressure by FlyboyZee: 1:02pm On Aug 21, 2016
fortunejum:
I have difference make of Tyre in my car with difference psi recommendations.For me I think we should not overlook the tyre manufacturer recommendation(s). There are also important, let the car psi recommendation determines the type of tyre to purchase. If the car manufacturer recommends 30psi for instance, look for a tyre with the same or almost the same psi recommendation and buy.
Dont buy a tyre that recommends 40 psi for instance to a 30 psi car recommendation. The gap is much.
Please, bear in mind that the car manufacturer often recommends Tyre specifications along with the required Tyre pressure. Moreover, the Tyre manufacturer only tells you not to inflate your tyre beyond a certain psi and not below it. See my post above...

My advice here is to stick to the car manufacturer's recommendations on both tyre and psi specs.
Re: Implication Of Wrong Tyre Pressure by malosky79(m): 4:57pm On Aug 21, 2016
[quote author=kumari089 post=48656923]Hi guys,
I would like to know the implication of inflating my car tyre to 50psi (both front and rear wheels), when the manufacturer recommends 30psi for front and 32psi for the rear wheel.
Note I decide to use 50psi as my tyre pressure because that's what most people use. [/quot

psi of a tyre is important as over inflation w lead to ur tyre teeth (central part) while under inflation cn lead to wot w smtym call allaingment, it's gud to note dt tyre of same brand is always gud for unification n whr you cnt afford 4 tyres at a tym, atleast two to be position either front or bck wheels

allaingment
allaingment
Re: Implication Of Wrong Tyre Pressure by Nobody: 8:08pm On Aug 21, 2016
vani86:

60 psi, thats a lot, my car is a 2009 camry. Whats yours
Has been on Explorer jeep but gone out to check my 2006 Camry and I must say I just learnt something today.
The reference to 60psi was made regarding the spare tyre but couldn't see the cold tyre pressure of tyres in use.
The maximum for the new tyres I bought were even 44psi and that tells a lot about what the ideal pressure for the car ought to have been. Think I was dead wrong on this one.
What does your own car say about tyre pressures.
Re: Implication Of Wrong Tyre Pressure by Gegz(m): 9:30pm On Aug 21, 2016
dokiOloye:
I have never seen a car wt d front wheel PSI higher than d rear.
It's usually d other way round.

Google it

Re: Implication Of Wrong Tyre Pressure by vani86: 10:00pm On Aug 21, 2016
Sincere4u:

Has been on Explorer jeep but gone out to check my 2006 Camry and I must say I just learnt something today.
The reference to 60psi was made regarding the spare tyre but couldn't see the cold tyre pressure of tyres in use.
The maximum for the new tyres I bought were even 44psi and that tells a lot about what the ideal pressure for the car ought to have been. Think I was dead wrong on this one.
What does your own car say about tyre pressures.

30 psi front and back. The donut spare is 60 psi

You actually learn something new everyday
Re: Implication Of Wrong Tyre Pressure by Nobody: 11:09pm On Aug 21, 2016
vani86:

30 psi front and back. The donut spare is 60 psi

You actually learn something new everyday
That is what we were told back in primary school but to be honest, i llearn nothing new most days. Just once in a while and at times hard and painful ways.
What is your take on raised shock absorbers?. My rear shocks are so low and road to my house so bad that I get as much as five or more bashes under my car daily no matter how careful I try to navigate the bad road.
Felt the solution to this is raising my rear shock absorbers. Some don't advise this but won't it be more damaging ignoring the hits and brushes i get under the car with the bad road?. Ever heard about raising rubber used in raising shocks as against welding?.
Thanks for your time.
Re: Implication Of Wrong Tyre Pressure by Nobody: 4:40am On Aug 22, 2016
kumari089:
Hi guys,
I would like to know the implication of inflating my car tyre to 50psi (both front and rear wheels), when the manufacturer recommends 30psi for front and 32psi for the rear wheel.
Note I decide to use 50psi as my tyre pressure because that's what most people use.

50? Isn't that too much? I use 35 or 40.
Re: Implication Of Wrong Tyre Pressure by vani86: 6:01am On Aug 22, 2016
Sincere4u:

That is what we were told back in primary school but to be honest, i llearn nothing new most days. Just once in a while and at times hard and painful ways.
What is your take on raised shock absorbers?. My rear shocks are so low and road to my house so bad that I get as much as five or more bashes under my car daily no matter how careful I try to navigate the bad road.
Felt the solution to this is raising my rear shock absorbers. Some don't advise this but won't it be more damaging ignoring the hits and brushes i get under the car with the bad road?. Ever heard about raising rubber used in raising shocks as against welding?.
Thanks for your time.

Have heard about raising shocks but have never done it. I think ifdone right its good and if i leave where you do, i thinknit will be something i look into.

Poit is if you want to do it, do it right, b4 you go to the mechanic research on it online,,read up all about increasing car heights, there are many options
Re: Implication Of Wrong Tyre Pressure by kingreign(m): 7:18am On Aug 22, 2016
vani86:

Have heard about raising shocks but have never done it. I think ifdone right its good and if i leave where you do, i thinknit will be something i look into.

Poit is if you want to do it, do it right, b4 you go to the mechanic research on it online,,read up all about increasing car heights, there are many options

Sincere4u:

Thanks for your time.

DO NOT raise the shocks or alter the suspension of your car in anyway that will pose serious risk.
figure your vehicle getting a rollover from an evasive maneuver just as the Jeep Grand Cherokee is.

Re: Implication Of Wrong Tyre Pressure by Nobody: 8:22am On Aug 22, 2016
kingreign:

DO NOT raise the shocks or alter the suspension of your car in anyway that will pose serious risk.
figure your vehicle getting a rollover from an evasive maneuver just as the Jeep Grand Cherokee is.
Thanks a lot, I appreciate.
Re: Implication Of Wrong Tyre Pressure by kumari089(m): 10:57am On Aug 22, 2016
Mine is Volvo S80 and the recommended tyre pressure is 30psi for front wheel and 32psi for the rear wheel
Re: Implication Of Wrong Tyre Pressure by Nobody: 7:27pm On Aug 22, 2016
vani86:

Pls if you want to do it, do it right, b4 you go to the mechanic research on it online,,read up all about increasing car heights, there are many options
Pls do you or anybody you know have idea on how often I have to check my tyre pressure .
My camry came with a few nice specs including remote start (could actually start the engine from right on my bed) except for functional tyre pressure monitors (never seen tyre pressure indicator on the instrument cluster).
I actually went to a vulcanizer today to reduce my tyre pressures from what I presumed is 40-45psi only to discover all four were at 30psi.
I was surprised cos I had always opted for 40-45.
Felt the tyres deflated themselves so I ended up demanding the vulcanized should take them up to 35psi.
Is it possible for a car to monitor and deflate its own tyres to desirable pressure all by itself if not that the tyres leaked air with use&time?.
Re: Implication Of Wrong Tyre Pressure by Nobody: 7:29pm On Aug 22, 2016
FlyboyZee:

2010 Honda Civic - 32psi
2010 Honda Pilot - 32psi

The pix attached are for the Pilot. Honda recommended 32psi, while Maxxis instructed that their tyre should not be inflated beyond 44 psi. To be on the safe side, I stuck to Honda's advice...
vani86:

Pls do you or anybody you know have idea on how often I have to check my tyre pressure .
My camry came with a few nice specs including remote start (could actually start the engine from right on my bed) except for functional tyre pressure monitors (never seen tyre pressure indicator on the instrument cluster).
I actually went to a vulcanizer to reduce my tyre pressures from what I presumed is 40-45psi only to discover all four were at 30psi.
I was surprised cos I had always opted for 40-45.
Felt the tyres deflated themselves so I ended up demanding the vulcanized should take them up to 35psi.
Is it possible for a car to monitor and deflate its own tyres to desirable pressure all by itself if not that the tyres leaked air with use&time?.

(1) (2) (Reply)

Buying From Copart, IAAI Or Auction Export / Dear Men, Do Share Your Experiences Of Good Female Drivers You Have Ever Seen / Dodge Caravan Pulley Issues

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 57
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.