Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,143,303 members, 7,780,708 topics. Date: Thursday, 28 March 2024 at 08:09 PM

Ndi Igbo Ebem Is There Any Difference Between Igwe And Eze - Culture - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Ndi Igbo Ebem Is There Any Difference Between Igwe And Eze (3099 Views)

"I Am The Igwe And Obi Of Yorubaland" - Abdulrasheed Akanbi, The Oluwo Of Iwo / Body Of Igwe Henry Ekwueme, Eze Ndi Igbo In China, Lands In Lagos Airport / Corpse Of Igwe Henry Ekwueme, Eze Ndi Igbo In China Packaged; To Be Flown To Nig (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Ndi Igbo Ebem Is There Any Difference Between Igwe And Eze by naijamakossa(m): 3:58pm On Aug 21, 2016
Re: Ndi Igbo Ebem Is There Any Difference Between Igwe And Eze by bigfrancis21: 5:20am On Aug 22, 2016
naijamakossa:

In modern usage, Igwe is more popular in Anambra and Enugu states and Eze in Imo and Abia states. Funny enough, the King of Nri (in Anambra state) was historically referred to as Eze Nri. They both mean the same thing, King.

Igwe is more popular in Nollywood movies, though.

1 Like

Re: Ndi Igbo Ebem Is There Any Difference Between Igwe And Eze by naijamakossa(m): 8:02am On Aug 22, 2016
bigfrancis21:

In modern usage, Igwe is more popular in Anambra and Enugu states and Eze in Imo and Abia states. Funny enough, the King of Nri (in Anambra state) was historically referred to as Eze Nri. They both mean the same thing, King.

Igwe is more popular in Nollywood movies, though.
ok tanx bros
Re: Ndi Igbo Ebem Is There Any Difference Between Igwe And Eze by mabea: 9:32am On Aug 22, 2016
To me Igwe sounds like a chieftains tittle. You hardly see igbo proverbs or idioms with the term igwe but Eze.
Re: Ndi Igbo Ebem Is There Any Difference Between Igwe And Eze by Igbodigr8: 1:33pm On Oct 07, 2016
Both words mean the same thing but Igwe is more popular in Enugu state and some part of Anambra state while Eze is more popular in abia,imo and ebonyi.
Re: Ndi Igbo Ebem Is There Any Difference Between Igwe And Eze by oboy3(m): 12:07am On Oct 08, 2016
Igwe is more of a title,its Just like saying your highness, but Eze is and means King
Re: Ndi Igbo Ebem Is There Any Difference Between Igwe And Eze by singlealone: 7:55pm On Oct 09, 2016
I think the use of Igwe was decreed in the old Anambra State by the MILAD Atom Kpera. Hope the spelling is correct.
Re: Ndi Igbo Ebem Is There Any Difference Between Igwe And Eze by Igboid: 12:07pm On Oct 10, 2016
oboy3:
Igwe is more of a title,its Just like saying your highness, but Eze is and means King

Correct! Eze is king in Igbo language. Igwe, Obi, Dein, Onye Ishi, etc are all titles the Eze goes by.
Re: Ndi Igbo Ebem Is There Any Difference Between Igwe And Eze by ThePresenceWtf: 6:11am On Mar 11, 2023
I know this is coming almost 8 years too late, but i just thought i should chime in.

The correct term for a "King" in Igbo is Eze.
Igwe literally means "Sky". It's the name of the Sky god in Igbo Cosmology, Amadioha (A.k.a Igwe, Kamalu etc) Who happens to be the husband of another Igbo goddess Ala (Earth).

Igwe is not a title but simply a synonym for Eze.
Re: Ndi Igbo Ebem Is There Any Difference Between Igwe And Eze by RedboneSmith(m): 9:35am On Mar 11, 2023
Igwe literally means the sky. When it is used to address a king it is equivalent to 'Your Highness' in English.

Eze remains the nearest equivalent to the English word 'king'.

1 Like

Re: Ndi Igbo Ebem Is There Any Difference Between Igwe And Eze by Maazieze(m): 8:17pm On Mar 11, 2023
RedboneSmith:
Igwe literally means the sky. When it is used to address a king it is equivalent to 'Your Highness' in English.

Eze remains the nearest equivalent to the English word 'king'.

Eze is a near equivalant but ive heard anyone that does well in excess for the community is granted the title of eze.
Re: Ndi Igbo Ebem Is There Any Difference Between Igwe And Eze by RedboneSmith(m): 9:58pm On Mar 11, 2023
Maazieze:

Eze is a near equivalant but ive heard anyone that does well in excess for the community is granted the title of eze.

Yes. That's why I said 'near equivalent'. Eze was in reality a multi-purpose word, but in this modern times the meaning has been narrowed to refer almost exclusively to Kings.
Re: Ndi Igbo Ebem Is There Any Difference Between Igwe And Eze by Maazieze(m): 10:56pm On Mar 11, 2023
RedboneSmith:

Yes. That's why I said 'near equivalent'. Eze was in reality a multi-purpose word, but in this modern times the meaning has been narrowed to refer almost exclusively to Kings.

thanks for clearing things up.

(1) (Reply)

Igbo Village In Virginia Nearing Completion. / IITA Forest Reserve, Oyo State (pictures) / Help With History Of Achi.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 13
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.