Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,149,767 members, 7,806,109 topics. Date: Tuesday, 23 April 2024 at 11:33 AM

I Asked For My Promotion And I Got A Transfer - Career (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / I Asked For My Promotion And I Got A Transfer (39738 Views)

Lady Who Just Got A Job Reveals What Happens To Her Each Time She Gets Home / I Got A Job Two Months After Service. / My Twin Brother Just Got A Pay Rise In A Micro Finance Bank: Don't Give Up! (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: I Asked For My Promotion And I Got A Transfer by Nobody: 3:48pm On Aug 23, 2016
Guyman02:

We are talking about business and money, no boss dismantles a winning team and want to sack an asset to his firm; he needs to restrategize and find out why the previous manager failed and what made his previous team to succeed.
If he can answer these questions then he may request for the injection of some new blood into the branch, it should be people burning with a desire to succeed.
I don't even see where the OP says he's in charge of the sales team much less being any sort of manager. Airs above his station.
Re: I Asked For My Promotion And I Got A Transfer by tiwasiaife(m): 6:24pm On Aug 23, 2016
[quote author=Sllime post=48692027]Hello nairalanders, i need your suggestions. I work with one of the leading paytelevison companies in Nigeria. I might not be able to mention name for image sake. I got the job few months after my graduation and i can say i put in more than a 100% in the job. I worked with a team of young graduates and our branch recorded the highest decoder sales ever made by the company.

Fast forward to 2016, i reminded my boss that my promotion is due and he pulled the trigger.I arrived work on this faithful day and saw a letter, with joy i opened the letter expecting the obvious. I was shocked to the bone marrow. I have been transferred to the company's worst branch. Infact, the company had considered closing the branch down last year. With anger and frustration, i stormed into my boss office to know why i got a transfer intead of a promotion letter, he told me the comapny has charged me with a responsibility of reviving the branch after a year. If i do this successfully, i will be made the branch manager. Upon enquiry, i realised that the branch manager was sacked due to fund and mismanagement issues. I have accepted the offer but on arrival i realised that the condition was far worse than i anticipated. Therefore i seek advise on the following pressing challenges because i believe when we share ideas, we help each other:

1. How do i improve sales: The sales is so bad that days will pass by and no single decoder sold infact, you can count the number of people who entered the office.

2. Coperation from staff: Unlike the young talented team i worked with, what i have here are unmotivated staffs who believe you cannot tell them anything because they are older than you both inn age and in the business.

Any suggestion will be highly appreciated. Thanks[/quote

Bro I may be blunt
1 I know you are talking about AIT

2 The branch you were posted is Benin Branch in EDO State

3 AIT has a decoder.

Last year they planned closing the branch due to backlog salaries owed to their staff.
Re: I Asked For My Promotion And I Got A Transfer by bayulll011(m): 9:02pm On Aug 23, 2016
Sllime:
Hello nairalanders, i need your suggestions. I work with one of the leading paytelevison companies in Nigeria. I might not be able to
Any suggestion will be highly appreciated. Thanks

Instead of wining and weeping on this challenges why not look inward and see if u can turn the situations around,firstly I understand working with people that are not motivated and want you to fail,this is a managerial skills and attitude u need to take.

1.Hold a meetings with the member of the staff,let them know the challenges ahead,seek their opinion,don't be bossy,share their pain,understand what they go through,do this and watch drastic transformations happening before you own eye.

2.Develop market plan,strategy and idea,do road shows,promo with this you will sell.

3.Finally anybody that will not key into your new idea and spirit can apply for transfer or better push them to retirement for good.
Re: I Asked For My Promotion And I Got A Transfer by laribari(m): 8:09am On Aug 24, 2016
wink
Re: I Asked For My Promotion And I Got A Transfer by laribari(m): 8:13am On Aug 24, 2016
Sllime:
Hello nairalanders, i need your suggestions. I work with one of the leading paytelevison companies in Nigeria. I might not be able to mention name for image sake. I got the job few months after my graduation and i can say i put in more than a 100% in the job. I worked with a team of young graduates and our branch recorded the highest decoder sales ever made by the company.

Fast forward to 2016, i reminded my boss that my promotion is due and he pulled the trigger.I arrived work on this faithful day and saw a letter, with joy i opened the letter expecting the obvious. I was shocked to the bone marrow. I have been transferred to the company's worst branch. Infact, the company had considered closing the branch down last year. With anger and frustration, i stormed into my boss office to know why i got a transfer intead of a promotion letter, he told me the comapny has charged me with a responsibility of reviving the branch after a year. If i do this successfully, i will be made the branch manager. Upon enquiry, i realised that the branch manager was sacked due to fund and mismanagement issues. I have accepted the offer but on arrival i realised that the condition was far worse than i anticipated. Therefore i seek advise on the following pressing challenges because i believe when we share ideas, we help each other:

1. How do i improve sales: The sales is so bad that days will pass by and no single decoder sold infact, you can count the number of people who entered the office.

2. Coperation from staff: Unlike the young talented team i worked with, what i have here are unmotivated staffs who believe you cannot tell them anything because they are older than you both inn age and in the business.

Any suggestion will be highly appreciated. Thanks

As a sales man myself in a multinational household company, here are a few things that would help you.

1. Filter the team and let the once that cannot fit into your plans leave. Demand for replaces and that way you should be among the interview team when you are taking new employee. My RCM was present when I was interviewed and he threw questions at me to see if I am what he wants.

NB: after the shake up among old staffs, the others who didn't get to leave will sit up and you would have stamped your authority there as the boss. Without your authority you will not be able to get the respect you need to succeed. Of cos, you will not be responsible for breaking the news of the layoff but let your HR do that if you guys have any, so no one blames you.

2. Once you have your own team be very accomodating so that they do not frustrate you work, market survey is next. You must know and identify the kind of people in ur market. Eg. Young or old, male or female (pending what you are selling). Every generation have like and wants but if you have large polution of both then you have to strike a balance.
This will help you know your targets and how to approach the market.

3. Competitors report: who are the companies or brands you are competing the market share with and what are they doing?
This will help you know why are you are not selling and how u can improve sales. Is pricing the issue or quality? That way you will find out.

4. Once you know what competition is doing, then you diverse means to break into the market because sometimes you will be competing against a top brand which is not going to be easy. So PROMO is the way forward.

5. Your promo may come in various forms which is either price reduction or give away items.

Mind you, promo last for a short time and you must set up a small committee to keep track of it. If it's a multinational company like mine, u don't need worry for all those cos the marketing team will do that.

Accountability: But you must know the impact of the promo in the market and evaluate the cost. Every promo has target and some fail too.

Some consumers do not really are about quality but pricing based on the current economy situation and as a sales man I can tell you this categorically. Though that depends on where you cover like the big guys on the island will still like quality and all that, so your product MUST be able to compete. Good quality and pricing together.

I manage a one billion naira market and I must tell you it is tough out there when you drag to win the market share. Your eyes must be on competitors ooooo. It's tough out there now oo, sales has dropped drastically. No money lipsrsealed but we survive as a sales man, you must diverse a selling means.

I wish you luck and could give you more tips pending on different situations
Re: I Asked For My Promotion And I Got A Transfer by laribari(m): 8:30am On Aug 24, 2016
Let me add that you must know when to push down the pressure to your team when it comes o because it will surely come. In sales, we don't give stories but figures. It's the numbers that matters at the end of the day o! In some months, you might not hit your target but make sure you are on top of your game. Know ur market inside out.
Re: I Asked For My Promotion And I Got A Transfer by laribari(m): 10:13am On Aug 24, 2016
[quote author=tiwasiaife post=48741400][/quote]

Perhaps you should be able to advise him better naa (that's it's AIT), since you already know.

Me nor see where you take advise am oo
Re: I Asked For My Promotion And I Got A Transfer by johnsonjosbles(m): 4:47am On Sep 29, 2016
stnkembu:
They know you're hardworking and they want to see u put in a 110% of yourself to the job.

Since you've realised one of the challenges you'll face - staff. Tell them to give u a new team you can work with if they really want u to succeed.
op this is the best and brief advise. thats all,

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Here Is What Different Berets Mean In The Nigerian Air Force / How A Guy Was Fired By One Of The Biggest Oil Companies In Nigeria / G.i.s Geographic Information Systems

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 35
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.