Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,143,328 members, 7,780,842 topics. Date: Friday, 29 March 2024 at 12:03 AM

Is It Right For 2nd/3rd Daughter To Answer ADA - Culture - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Is It Right For 2nd/3rd Daughter To Answer ADA (4861 Views)

Here Comes Miss Ukwuani 2014 (nwa-ada Ukwuani) / ***nigerian Culture To Answer A Question With Another Question?*** / Why Do Yoruba Girls Not Mind Being 2nd, 3rd 4th And Even 5th Wives? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Is It Right For 2nd/3rd Daughter To Answer ADA by fingard02k(m): 12:06pm On Sep 29, 2009
Thier is this new family that just moved in,in my area last month,last week i just found out that thier 3rd daughter's name is ADAOBI which is strange to me for a 3rd daughter to answer ADA.Please my people is it right or wrong for 2nd/3rd etc to answer ADA. [/color][color=]
Re: Is It Right For 2nd/3rd Daughter To Answer ADA by ifyalways(f): 4:55pm On Oct 01, 2009
. . .its not wrong but something is definitely wrong.
What is wrong is this;A total stranger and an outsider to think/imagine/question a parents choice of names for their kids considering the fact that they neither aided procreation nor abetted delivery or gestation period,that my friend is very very wrong.

1 Like

Re: Is It Right For 2nd/3rd Daughter To Answer ADA by preselect(m): 7:26pm On Oct 01, 2009
adanna=Ist daughter. adaobi na different ball game. even though all na ada. however, a man has a right to call his child what he wants to. chikena.

afterall some people answer igwe. are they kings? ahaaa. i met a man in norwich whose name is jesus grin obviously he is not the founder of my religion. cool
Re: Is It Right For 2nd/3rd Daughter To Answer ADA by udezue(m): 3:28am On Oct 02, 2009
Well traditionally ADA NAMES are best kept for 1st daughters only. So its out of place for them to do that.
Re: Is It Right For 2nd/3rd Daughter To Answer ADA by Ndipe(m): 1:26am On Oct 03, 2009
ifyalways:

. . .its not wrong but something is definitely wrong.
What is wrong is this;A total stranger and an outsider to think/imagine/question a parents choice of names for their kids considering the fact that they neither aided procreation nor abetted delivery or gestation period,that my friend is very very wrong.

Applause. Some people will like to pokenose into other people's business, like what difference would it make to their existence if a couple chooses to name their first or tenth daughter ADA?
Re: Is It Right For 2nd/3rd Daughter To Answer ADA by fingard02k(m): 1:21pm On Oct 03, 2009
@Ndipe Ok Dont you know that this kind of thing brings hatred between sisters.In some cases like this dont you think that the real ADA might think they (parents) hates her to take what traditionaly/rightly belongs to her to another person so the name might cause problem/hatred btw the person given the name and the real ADA dont you think so?
Re: Is It Right For 2nd/3rd Daughter To Answer ADA by echelon(m): 4:12am On Oct 04, 2009
It's not bad the guy asked the question. "Ada" means daughter in Igbo. It's an alternative to "nwa nwanyi" which literally means "female child". Therefore, "Ada" can be used for any of a man's daughters. However, qualification of "Ada" with "- Obi" and "- Nna" gives respectively "Adaobi" and "Adanna" which are traditionally reserved for first daughters.

@Poster, it's possible the parents in question are oblivious of this tradition or do not wish to honour it.

Rgds.
Re: Is It Right For 2nd/3rd Daughter To Answer ADA by Fhemmmy: 4:27am On Oct 04, 2009
What is the meaning of Adaobi, that will help me to respond
Re: Is It Right For 2nd/3rd Daughter To Answer ADA by ifyalways(f): 3:49pm On Oct 04, 2009
echelon:

It's not bad the guy asked the question. "Ada" means daughter in Igbo. It's an alternative to "nwa nwanyi" which literally means "female child". Therefore, "Ada" can be used for any of a man's daughters. However, qualification of "Ada" with "- Obi" and "- Nna" gives respectively "Adaobi" and "Adanna" which are traditionally reserved for first daughters.

@Poster, it's possible the parents in question are oblivious of this tradition or do not wish to honour it.

Rgds.
Thanks for the point raised.Contrary to the popular assumption,Ada actually means daughter and not First daughter.
Fhemmmy:

What is the meaning of Adaobi, that will help me to respond
Adaobi . . .daughter of our clan or kindred.
Adanna . . . .the fathers daughter.
Adanne. . .the mothers daughter.
Re: Is It Right For 2nd/3rd Daughter To Answer ADA by Abagworo(m): 10:07pm On Oct 04, 2009
adaobi means first daughter of a king or simply princess.it is a variance of adaeze.i dont know if obi means clan in any igbo dialect.
Re: Is It Right For 2nd/3rd Daughter To Answer ADA by ifyalways(f): 3:31pm On Oct 05, 2009
Abagworo:

adaobi means first daughter of a king or simply princess.it is a variance of adaeze.i dont know if obi means clan in any igbo dialect.
shocked
Obi=ezi=ama
Obiechina=may our clan/kindred never get wiped out.
Obi can also mean king or simply a boy.
masculine feminine
Obi boy Ada girl
Re: Is It Right For 2nd/3rd Daughter To Answer ADA by ChinenyeN(m): 4:05pm On Oct 05, 2009
I've not seen an "Adaobi" outside of Riverine areas. Fingard02k, do you happen to know where from Igboland that family is from?
Re: Is It Right For 2nd/3rd Daughter To Answer ADA by Fhemmmy: 12:46am On Oct 06, 2009
ifyalways:

Thanks for the point raised.Contrary to the popular assumption,Ada actually means daughter and not First daughter.Adaobi . . .daughter of our clan or kindred.
Adanna . . . .the fathers daughter.
Adanne. . .the mothers daughter.

If these are the meaning, then what is wrong with the 2nd daughter being called such?
Re: Is It Right For 2nd/3rd Daughter To Answer ADA by preselect(m): 7:57pm On Oct 06, 2009
they are not the real meaning.
ada= first daughter
adanna=father's first daughter
adanne(never heard of that as a name)=mother's first daughter

second daughter is called ulu. usually in the olden days there was less emphasis on these girls and our ancestors invented a suitable name to remind them of their beauty and importance

ulumma=beautiful 2nd daughter wink . . . and boy, these girls are always . . kiss
Re: Is It Right For 2nd/3rd Daughter To Answer ADA by presido1: 10:30pm On Oct 06, 2009
Ada means daughter. What is added after the ada changes the meaning of the ADA.
Like Adannaya,Adaeze,Adaugo= First daughter.
Adaku can be any of the daughters.

UmuADA daughters of the clan, kindred, village etc.

Adanne shocked shocked unless the mama no no the adanne papa.
Re: Is It Right For 2nd/3rd Daughter To Answer ADA by echelon(m): 10:48pm On Oct 06, 2009
presido1:

The dreaded Umuada!

Umuada a nokwa m n'ala ooo. smiley
Re: Is It Right For 2nd/3rd Daughter To Answer ADA by ifyalways(f): 11:50am On Oct 07, 2009
presido1:

Ada means daughter. What is added after the ada changes the meaning of the ADA.
Like Adannaya,Adaeze,Adaugo= First daughter.
Adaku can be any of the daughters.

Adanne shocked shocked unless the mama no no the adanne papa.
dalu
Re: Is It Right For 2nd/3rd Daughter To Answer ADA by throttler(f): 10:11am On Oct 08, 2009
@ poster, have you gotten close enough to the family to find out if they are core igbo or igbo at all?

benue folks call their daughters ada. somebody may just have named the girl after somebody else, not necessarily as a first girls name.

besides, i once despised a friend for telling me the name we gave my first daughter RHODA( a biblical name) is old school, but she likes the names of my 2 sons( Mitchell and Eli), i think it was really hurtful. i should reserve the right to call my kids what i want that is not generally ridiculous, not what someone thinks i should call them. afterall its not only jennifer and jane that are girls names( very popular). i used to not like my name sometime back, cos people say it is a word, like faith, love, joy, peace, ( i bear a name similar to that) grin, but now i know better, and that is why i vehemently told my friend to BUZZ- OFF angry
Re: Is It Right For 2nd/3rd Daughter To Answer ADA by preselect(m): 4:39pm On Oct 08, 2009
ifyalways:

dalu

honey, seems u are 2nd doaughter? cheesy well, if u like be 200th daughter, it doesnt change ur beauty, intelligence or sweetness . . u get what i mean . . . and more importantly it wont change my love . . NEVER
Re: Is It Right For 2nd/3rd Daughter To Answer ADA by Nobody: 5:09pm On Oct 08, 2009
wetin be this.

why person go leave all the unattached girls come begin chase the one wey no single.
Re: Is It Right For 2nd/3rd Daughter To Answer ADA by ifyalways(f): 5:29pm On Oct 08, 2009
throttler:

@ poster, have you gotten close enough to the family to find out if they are core igbo or igbo at all?

benue folks call their daughters ada. somebody may just have named the girl after somebody else, not necessarily as a first girls name.

besides, i once despised a friend for telling me the name we gave my first daughter RHODA( a biblical name) is old school, but she likes the names of my 2 sons( Mitchell and Eli), i think it was really hurtful. i should reserve the right to call my kids what i want that is not generally ridiculous, not what someone thinks i should call them. afterall its not only jennifer and jane that are girls names( very popular). i used to not like my name sometime back, cos people say it is a word, like faith, love, joy, peace, ( i bear a name similar to that) grin, but now i know better, and that is why i vehemently told my friend to BUZZ- OFF angry
I agree with u.Idoma babes also bear Ada.Noticed the OP is not back again,i still asked same question,no one has the right to question a parents choice of name for their kids.
@Darfur,ebelebe igba.a bum ada btw.
Re: Is It Right For 2nd/3rd Daughter To Answer ADA by Fhemmmy: 8:03pm On Oct 08, 2009
IfyAlways, u got mail
Re: Is It Right For 2nd/3rd Daughter To Answer ADA by Nobody: 8:47pm On Oct 08, 2009
haba una fit cause wahala for people sha
Re: Is It Right For 2nd/3rd Daughter To Answer ADA by throttler(f): 11:29am On Oct 09, 2009
ifyalways:

I agree with u.Idoma babes also bear Ada.Noticed the OP is not back again,i still asked same question,no one has the right to question a parents choice of name for their kids.
@Darfur,ebelebe igba.a bum ada btw.

me too ada, grin, but only child. sad., so that means i am ada, ulu, ogo, okpara, osote okpara, no wonder i am super woman cheesy
Re: Is It Right For 2nd/3rd Daughter To Answer ADA by fingard02k(m): 9:32pm On Nov 08, 2009
Im sorry for not responding for weeks,i travelled to my best friend village so thier is no access.

@throttler they are typical igbo, they are from Ekwuluobia in Anambra state

@Ify_always.you said that thier is nothing wrong in it even the third can answer ADA.So are you trying to tell me that third son in a family can now answer Okpara while the first son is alive and healthy.okey if you are the first daughter in your family and your your sister is given ADA how would you feel in public where you two are being ask your names?
Re: Is It Right For 2nd/3rd Daughter To Answer ADA by Mamayaraaus: 11:50am On Aug 15, 2021
I have a question.
White girl here.
My child's father is igbo.
It is bad, but we got pregnant on our first date and right after I broke up with another man. He took DNA test and told me it said she was his.
For a while I think she is not his.
He calls my daughter Adanne, does this mean he knows she is not his daughter and calls her mothers daughter?
Or does it mean he does not love her to call her my daughter?
Why would he call her adanne and not adanna?

(1) (Reply)

Jamming Spot For Londoners/uk Peeps - All Slangs Are Allowed / 8 Most Consumed And Popular Food In Nigeria. / 159 Colours Translated Into Igbo

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 39
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.