Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,752 members, 7,802,305 topics. Date: Friday, 19 April 2024 at 12:12 PM

Why Do Benin Royals Cover Their Mouths? - Celebrities - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Celebrities / Why Do Benin Royals Cover Their Mouths? (5098 Views)

Toke Makinwa Exposes Her Colleague: "I Have Fed Mouths That Have Cursed Me" / Black Lady With Tattoos All Over Her Face That Got Mouths Wagging (photos) / 5 Reasons Why Oba Of Benin & His Wives Covers Their Mouths With Handkerchief (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Why Do Benin Royals Cover Their Mouths? by AjalaJ(m): 10:38pm On Aug 22, 2016
I recently watched a traditional Benin movie. During a coronation ceremony of a new king, I saw that all the royal queens and princesses cover their mouths with their hands. They came into the palace doing this and later left.

In another recent Benin movie, involving the royalty, I saw the monarch covering his mouth with a handkie in a public event. I believe the movies depict an important Benin royal tradition.

This kind of custom baffles me and most Edo people I asked couldn’t answer the question.

Why do Benin royals cover their mouths in this way? Is there any reason for this?

What is the origin of this, and its significance?

I’m desperate for a helpful answer please.

Neteller here: www..com.ng
Re: Why Do Benin Royals Cover Their Mouths? by casttlebarbz(m): 10:39pm On Aug 22, 2016
Ok
Re: Why Do Benin Royals Cover Their Mouths? by ReorxTohGan(m): 10:53pm On Aug 22, 2016
Very Simple Answer=MouthOdour!

3 Likes

Re: Why Do Benin Royals Cover Their Mouths? by Goldenheart(m): 11:37pm On Aug 22, 2016
ReorxTohGan:
Very Simple Answer=MouthOdour!
grin

3 Likes

Re: Why Do Benin Royals Cover Their Mouths? by fabfunmi(f): 12:07am On Aug 23, 2016
AjalaJ:
I recently watched a traditional Benin movie. During a coronation ceremony of a new king, I saw that all the royal queens and princesses cover their mouths with their hands. They came into the palace doing this and later left.

In another recent Benin movie, involving the royalty, I saw the monarch covering his mouth with a handkie in a public event. I believe the movies depict an important Benin royal tradition.

This kind of custom baffles me and most Edo people I asked couldn’t answer the question.

Why do Benin royals cover their mouths in this way? Is there any reason for this?

I'm curious to know the answer to this question..
besides i think IYORE is one of the movie you talking about..i noticed it there also.

1 Like

Re: Why Do Benin Royals Cover Their Mouths? by ituglobal(m): 8:59am On Aug 24, 2016
fabfunmi:

besides i think IYORE is one of the movie you talking about..i noticed it there also.

I have been watching this thread with interest and I’m surprised that no-one has been able to answer this intriguing question since it’s been asked. This forum is big and full of intelligent and knowledgeable people. I’d be glad to know the answer myself, since I don’t know it.

We tend to think African traditions and cultures are sometimes idiotic in the eyes of the whole world because we don’t know the reasons behind them.

Why do Benin royals have to cover their mouths in public or during important occasions? I would be disappointed if this forum can’t provide a correct answer.

This is something I like more than nude pictures and unhelpful topics that fill the Internet today.

Perhaps the mods can push this to the front page for those who’re rich in knowledge to probably see. Can anyone help us with an answer?

With humble regards to you all!

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Why Do Benin Royals Cover Their Mouths? by sinaj(f): 9:13am On Aug 24, 2016
fabfunmi:

I noticed it in Iyore too nd one other Benin movie too.

Am also curious
Re: Why Do Benin Royals Cover Their Mouths? by fabfunmi(f): 10:55am On Aug 24, 2016
[quote author=ituglobal post=48754392]

I have been watching this thread with interest and I’m surprised that no-one has been able to answer this intriguing question since it’s been asked. This forum is big and full of intelligent and knowledgeable people. I’d be glad to know the answer myself, since I don’t know it.

We tend to think African traditions and cultures are sometimes idiotic in the eyes of the whole world because we don’t know the reasons behind them.

Why do Benin royals have to cover their mouths in public or during important occasions? I would be disappointed if this forum can’t provide a correct answer.

This is something I like more than nude pictures and unhelpful topics that fill the Internet today.

Perhaps the mods can push this to the front page for those who’re rich in knowledge to probably see. [b]Can anyone help us with an answer?
[/
With humble regards to you all!

Hopefully lalasticlala wil move this to front page.
Re: Why Do Benin Royals Cover Their Mouths? by Nobody: 6:18pm On Mar 21, 2017
lalasticlala you have been mentioned more than once here.. please push to front page.. there might be intelligent people who can contribute to the answer...

apart from a being a gossip blog, which Nairaland has now turned too, let is also be an educating place, let it be a FORUM!!

looking forward to see this on front page and getting an answer to the OP's question.

cheers!

2 Likes

Re: Why Do Benin Royals Cover Their Mouths? by Nobody: 6:19pm On Mar 21, 2017
I will like to know the answer

1 Like

Re: Why Do Benin Royals Cover Their Mouths? by hurrycayne: 10:02pm On Dec 02, 2017
The Oba covers his mouth because the more one speaks, the less mysterious he is to people and the less they hold him in awe. According to tradition, the Oba hardly speaks in public and when he does his words are final.

1 Like

Re: Why Do Benin Royals Cover Their Mouths? by ERORR404(m): 10:40pm On Dec 02, 2017
mouth odour
Re: Why Do Benin Royals Cover Their Mouths? by egorov(m): 3:09pm On May 08, 2020
AjalaJ:

Wow. Since 2018. Well

(1) The Oba usually covers his mouth because when he talks he is the supreme authority and whatever he says is final. (2) People talk on his behalf most of the time and whatever they proclaim becomes the law with immediate effect. (3) His wives covered their mouths as a sign of submission

1 Like

(1) (Reply)

If You Are Not Proposing With This Size Of Rock, Don't Bother - Toke Makinwa / ‘This Is Too Much’ Iyabo Ojo, Others React As Eniola Tensions Fans With Photos / Lil Wayne’s Son Is His Carbon Copy, Take A Look At Their Photos Together

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 30
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.