Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,151 members, 7,807,502 topics. Date: Wednesday, 24 April 2024 at 02:20 PM

CBN Sanctions Nine Banks For Failing To Remit $2.3bn NNPC Funds - Business (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Business / CBN Sanctions Nine Banks For Failing To Remit $2.3bn NNPC Funds (41255 Views)

Total, Mobil, Others Yet To Remit N6tr Oil Revenue / Nine Banks Make N59.6bn From Maintenance Charges In 6 Months / Forex: CBN Sanctions 12 Banks For Frustrating Small Businesses (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: CBN Sanctions Nine Banks For Failing To Remit $2.3bn NNPC Funds by todayo(m): 5:54am On Aug 24, 2016
Businessideas:
Even the new bank,Heritage Bank owned by Senator Saraki is on the list!! shocked shocked
I'm not surprised that GTB isn't on the list. They are presently the most conservative bank and most credible bank in Nigeria. I pray First Bank will not end the same way Union Bank ended
Why would u say dat? Union is better by far compare to all these banks. Union is a bank dat always comply wit regulatory bodies. Union bank has Neva been Sanction in any form, and now the bank is back to life even during this turbulent era, union bank striving wel.

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: CBN Sanctions Nine Banks For Failing To Remit $2.3bn NNPC Funds by jay7(m): 5:55am On Aug 24, 2016
Nice move by the CBN
Re: CBN Sanctions Nine Banks For Failing To Remit $2.3bn NNPC Funds by totorimi: 5:58am On Aug 24, 2016
They cant be forcing these banks not to sack staff while punishing them for holding on to some money due to TSA account. It just cant work let us see what will happen.

Even the so called government intervention bank Keystone is amongst them what manner of corruption is that. Even when govt is funding them yet they are indulged in such, their sanction must be highest because they are supposed to show good example been a government funded and owned bank so to say, the incompetent government managers that are working there should all be arrested for corruption. Signs of confusion all over the place.
Re: CBN Sanctions Nine Banks For Failing To Remit $2.3bn NNPC Funds by sisisioge: 5:59am On Aug 24, 2016
seunmsg:
United Bank for Africa (UBA) $530m; First Bank of Nigeria (FBN) $469m; Diamond Bank Plc ($287m); Sterling Bank Plc ($269m); Sky Bank Plc ($221m); Fidelity Bank ($209m); Keystone Bank ($139); First City Monument Bank (FCMB) $125m; and Heritage Bank ($85m).

It is so unfortunate that these evil banks would deliberately refuse to remit a whooping $2.3bn in a period of acute forex shortage. Not even the economic challenges of the country or the free for all drop of the Naira could appeal to the conscience and patriotism of the management of these banks to remit this huge amount of money at a period when the country needs all the available dollars that can be gotten. I sincerely hope CBN and other relevant government agencies will impose more stiffer sanctions and punishment against the banks and their collaborators from NNPC.

You must think they have the money sitting idle in their vaults. Whew, while I totally understood the need for the single treasury, pulling that huge amount from the already weak banks is not gonna land them well. Imagine if Zenith were there, they just reduced salaries across board by 15%. Although Diamond there just increased.
Re: CBN Sanctions Nine Banks For Failing To Remit $2.3bn NNPC Funds by bellville: 6:29am On Aug 24, 2016
Unionised:

How did Union Bank end?
Union bank has re-branded and it's waxing stronger by the day.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: CBN Sanctions Nine Banks For Failing To Remit $2.3bn NNPC Funds by obinoral1179(m): 6:31am On Aug 24, 2016
Businessideas:
Even the new bank,Heritage Bank owned by Senator Saraki is on the list!! shocked shocked
I'm not surprised that GTB isn't on the list. They are presently the most conservative bank and most credible bank in Nigeria. I pray First Bank will not end the same way Union Bank ended
stanbic bank is doing good. Access is not relenting. Moving forward with stanbic
Re: CBN Sanctions Nine Banks For Failing To Remit $2.3bn NNPC Funds by billyG(m): 6:37am On Aug 24, 2016
Ugosample:

What do you think will happen to these banks AFTER the remittance?
Who cares what happen to a thief if u collect yur stolen ppties frm him?they stole pples money,fed.govt money,fund corrupt politicians,loot money & then declare bankruptcy.

1 Like

Re: CBN Sanctions Nine Banks For Failing To Remit $2.3bn NNPC Funds by SuperS1Panther: 6:40am On Aug 24, 2016
Businessideas:

GTB is heavily involved in Saraki's looting spree.

Though, they are still very conservative.

It beats my imagination that Zenith is not among the penalised banks. They are master breaker of all rules. I am sure Emefiele tipped them off.

3 Likes

Re: CBN Sanctions Nine Banks For Failing To Remit $2.3bn NNPC Funds by onatisi(m): 6:50am On Aug 24, 2016
There is no point pitying Nigerians only hunger and starvation will open their brains . Instead of them criticizing the cbn for this action ,they are busy clapping.this was the same way they were hailing the dullard throughout last year when he failed to constitute an economic team for 7 months until the whole thing crashed .
Re: CBN Sanctions Nine Banks For Failing To Remit $2.3bn NNPC Funds by ALLPISHON: 7:07am On Aug 24, 2016
Haba! In this era when some Banks are supporting the Nation through their various programs, these back are bleeding the nation through their nefarious acts. As we mentioned the bad ones, we should mention the good ones too without ant bias. Union Bank is in the vanguard of helping my Agric cooperative over years. What they did for us in the month of June made me conclude that the Bank is serious with their Customers. Perhaps, they have brought their experiences (Good and bad) over the years to bear.
Re: CBN Sanctions Nine Banks For Failing To Remit $2.3bn NNPC Funds by ALLPISHON: 7:09am On Aug 24, 2016
Haba! In this era when some Banks are supporting the Nation through their various programs, these bank are bleeding the nation through their nefarious acts. As we mentioned the bad ones, we should mention the good ones too without any bias. Union Bank is in the vanguard of helping my Agric cooperative over years. What they did for us in the month of June made me conclude that the Bank is serious with their Customers. Perhaps, they have brought their experiences (Good and bad) over the years to bear.
Re: CBN Sanctions Nine Banks For Failing To Remit $2.3bn NNPC Funds by Azeez532(m): 7:43am On Aug 24, 2016
No wonder linking my UBA mastercard with paypal has been given me issues, time to dump my UBA for GTB, no time to waste.
Re: CBN Sanctions Nine Banks For Failing To Remit $2.3bn NNPC Funds by 989900: 7:56am On Aug 24, 2016
Those criticizing the CBN, I guess we should just let them banks 'eat' the money then; go ahead with their corrupt ways -- exactly what the Dr. ordered for getting back on the right path.

Same banks that are very good at lending same monies to their cronies who won't pay back 'cause they've 'settled'. . . trillions of bad debts already, of course it is cheap money (gov't money, our money).

Same banks that got what, yet to be repaid $9b or something from the CBN in 'bail out' funds in 2008?

For how long will the gov't continue to fund those liabilities? If banks like GTB with their shortcomings can be 'relatively' doing well, then the others need to buckle up.

Say or believe what you like, this model of banking was never ever going to end well!

The CBN should just get back the monies, probably with the grace of in batches . . . they have the better Intel or forensic data to work with.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: CBN Sanctions Nine Banks For Failing To Remit $2.3bn NNPC Funds by buchai: 8:00am On Aug 24, 2016
FG should continue there support to the private sector they should not use force in everything they do but if they wants to do it by force then everything will go down by force remember all these banks have the highest number of employ labour. everything that concerns government in Nigeria now have a negative effect on our economy to avoid that government should learn to support not to be chasing people and private sectors around.
Re: CBN Sanctions Nine Banks For Failing To Remit $2.3bn NNPC Funds by linusbnn(m): 8:05am On Aug 24, 2016
seunmsg:
United Bank for Africa (UBA) $530m; First Bank of Nigeria (FBN) $469m; Diamond Bank Plc ($287m); Sterling Bank Plc ($269m); Sky Bank Plc ($221m); Fidelity Bank ($209m); Keystone Bank ($139); First City Monument Bank (FCMB) $125m; and Heritage Bank ($85m).

It is so unfortunate that these evil banks would deliberately refuse to remit a whooping $2.3bn in a period of acute forex shortage. Not even the economic challenges of the country or the free for all drop of the Naira could appeal to the conscience and patriotism of the management of these banks to remit this huge amount of money at a period when the country needs all the available dollars that can be gotten. I sincerely hope CBN and other relevant government agencies will impose more stiffer sanctions and punishment against the banks and their collaborators from NNPC.

What do you know about banking? Even these banks need the dollar deposits to enable them pay customers who have domiciliary accts with them. If you walk up to your bank nd seek to withdraw 2k dolls in yur dom acct,then the bank says they don't have it,what will be your reaction?. The whole issue lies on the shortage of inflow of dollar into the country and evry1 needs to protect it side to remain in business

1 Like 1 Share

Re: CBN Sanctions Nine Banks For Failing To Remit $2.3bn NNPC Funds by olabodeapex: 8:09am On Aug 24, 2016
thank God, my Unity bank is not among defaulters
Re: CBN Sanctions Nine Banks For Failing To Remit $2.3bn NNPC Funds by linusbnn(m): 8:12am On Aug 24, 2016
sisisioge:

You must think they have the money sitting idle in their vaults. Whew, while I totally understood the need for the single treasury, pulling that huge amount from the already weak banks is not gonna land them well. Imagine if Zenith were there, they just reduced salaries across board by 15%. Although Diamond there just increased.

Diamond increased salary because dey sacked all top management staffs nd used junior staffs to replace dem,so it's cool to add some benefits to them. The bank is still on d gaining side
Re: CBN Sanctions Nine Banks For Failing To Remit $2.3bn NNPC Funds by soarz(m): 8:17am On Aug 24, 2016
Oma307:
Very nice
what is nice der
Re: CBN Sanctions Nine Banks For Failing To Remit $2.3bn NNPC Funds by DeRay98(m): 8:22am On Aug 24, 2016
fizzy4luv:
CBN; Nigerian banks can't do without Government fund , go to any Nigerian bank and tender an instrument withdrawing more than 100 million naira, you will see multitude of staff begging you not to take your own money . Its glaring that our banks are used to trading with these funds and have neglected the real sectors of the economy for so long. They declare huge profits and declare high dividends with little sweat . If an independent audit of all funds stashed in Nigerian Banks are conducted . CBN should have advised the Federal Government to have adopted a phased withdrawal of Government funds from the banking sector and not the bullet method used or even suspend it while the economy stabilize a bit while engaging reputable audit firms to examine public entities accounts to monitor funds.
Banks; I pity banks , they are now being forced directly to relate and engage the real sectors of the economy via lending to help stimulate growth, they just can't seem to let go of the cake and pudding way of making fast money, one shouldn't be too fast to blame them, a lot of recalcitrant bad debtors also make the Nigerian clime a difficult terrain for lending . Lately aggressive means of recovery have been embarked upon to recover bad debts.
Lastly CBN should find a lasting endearing solution , even if it means inviting all bank chiefs to discuss with the Executive arm of Govt, on how to navigate this turbulent times. unless when the banks start to fire from all angles , even FG won't be able to cope with the backlash of sacked workers

The much hidden ugly yansh grin of our banks is finally being blown open by the wind of change. They have not been contributing to economic growth because they have govt money to trade and make profit for their share-holders and directors lots of whom are politicians.
Now, they must embrace their true duty and help to build the economy before harvesting from it....its Reality time!

1 Like

Re: CBN Sanctions Nine Banks For Failing To Remit $2.3bn NNPC Funds by Myself2(m): 8:23am On Aug 24, 2016
fizzy4luv:
CBN; Nigerian banks can't do without Government fund , go to any Nigerian bank and tender an instrument withdrawing more than 100 million naira, you will see multitude of staff begging you not to take your own money . Its glaring that our banks are used to trading with these funds and have neglected the real sectors of the economy for so long. They declare huge profits and declare high dividends with little sweat . If an independent audit of all funds stashed in Nigerian Banks are conducted . CBN should have advised the Federal Government to have adopted a phased withdrawal of Government funds from the banking sector and not the bullet method used or even suspend it while the economy stabilize a bit while engaging reputable audit firms to examine public entities accounts to monitor funds.
Banks; I pity banks , they are now being forced directly to relate and engage the real sectors of the economy via lending to help stimulate growth, they just can't seem to let go of the cake and pudding way of making fast money, one shouldn't be too fast to blame them, a lot of recalcitrant bad debtors also make the Nigerian clime a difficult terrain for lending . Lately aggressive means of recovery have been embarked upon to recover bad debts.
Lastly CBN should find a lasting endearing solution , even if it means inviting all bank chiefs to discuss with the Executive arm of Govt, on how to navigate this turbulent times. unless when the banks start to fire from all angles , even FG won't be able to cope with the backlash of sacked workers

The best and most intelligent post on this thread.Your head is well screwed on your shoulder, a bottle of any vintage champagne of your choice on me sir.

APPLAUSE
Re: CBN Sanctions Nine Banks For Failing To Remit $2.3bn NNPC Funds by Nobody: 8:28am On Aug 24, 2016
NCAN Nsukka Chapter....> after seeing both its a collabo East DB,West others.., Malos no get Business with Banks grin

Re: CBN Sanctions Nine Banks For Failing To Remit $2.3bn NNPC Funds by lokodon(m): 9:00am On Aug 24, 2016
Kollyman:
Someone should please tell the banks that the era of free food is over, we are now in the era of no work no food.
It's actually no food no work
Re: CBN Sanctions Nine Banks For Failing To Remit $2.3bn NNPC Funds by seunmsg(m): 9:01am On Aug 24, 2016
linusbnn:

What do you know about banking? Even these banks need the dollar deposits to enable them pay customers who have domiciliary accts with them. If you walk up to your bank nd seek to withdraw 2k dolls in yur dom acct,then the bank says they don't have it,what will be your reaction?. The whole issue lies on the shortage of inflow of dollar into the country and evry1 needs to protect it side to remain in business

So they have to protect their business by flouting extant financial regulations and denying the government of its legitimate forex earnings right? when a bank collects revenue on behave of a government agency, they are suppose to handle the revenue so collected according to the mandate of the agency and in this case, they are supposed to remit it to the TSA account. Doing anything contrary with the revenue collected is illegal and unacceptable no matter the justification.

4 Likes

Re: CBN Sanctions Nine Banks For Failing To Remit $2.3bn NNPC Funds by BestNaxa: 9:02am On Aug 24, 2016
so Gtbank and Zenith no do d business
Re: CBN Sanctions Nine Banks For Failing To Remit $2.3bn NNPC Funds by Themandator: 9:02am On Aug 24, 2016
fizzy4luv:

Your submission is on point... If any of those banks remit the amount mentioned against them I'm certain they will embark on another round of retrenchment and further tighten the noose on lending to oil importers
Re: CBN Sanctions Nine Banks For Failing To Remit $2.3bn NNPC Funds by Clerverly: 9:04am On Aug 24, 2016
egbonnla:
Most of the banks will not be able to refund the money because they simply don't have cash to back up the amount and their assets has been depleted. I am well informed to know that CBN has been writing reminders and threatening these banks with sanctions to return these funds, but they cannot give what they don't have.
Most of the funds came in when Naira was N165 to 1$ and the banks has used it for FX trading. Now it is N330 to 1$ and the forex is not even available. CBN cannot claim ignorance of the present circumstances of these banks. Now is the time for banks to re-strategized and assume their traditional conservative roles. The era of paying reckless salaries to their staffs and depending on government fund is gone.
In the next couple of months, I can see the collapse of half of Nigerian Banks. Difficult times are indeed here!

Bit they were advised to remit the funds as early as May 2015, when the dollar was rate was still 197 per dollar, No? Why did they ignore this directive and choose to speculate with government fund and declared same as Profit in the last Financial Year?

Dont pity the rogues bro...they contributed to the mess we are going through as a nation.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: CBN Sanctions Nine Banks For Failing To Remit $2.3bn NNPC Funds by murmee: 9:05am On Aug 24, 2016
lekpaboy:
Thank God my access bank isn't listed.
Even ECOBANK is not on the list. A lot of people don't know that ECOBANK is a very good bank. I have been using the bank for more than 10 years and I have no complaint. They are everywhere and their staff is not as unfriendly as some of the other banks. (I use other banks too so I know what am saying) Kudos to ECOBANK, the real people's bank!

1 Like 2 Shares

Re: CBN Sanctions Nine Banks For Failing To Remit $2.3bn NNPC Funds by Adagba01: 9:16am On Aug 24, 2016
It's really hard to believe that Nigeria has rotten like this before Buhari's coming. The government should do more to make our country business friendly to attract the much needed FDI. May God bless Buhari for Nigeria.
Re: CBN Sanctions Nine Banks For Failing To Remit $2.3bn NNPC Funds by tosinatoyebi(m): 9:25am On Aug 24, 2016
Businessideas:

you should mind what you say, don't judge books by the outward appearance, if no bank was mentioned, i don't think u should mention them here just because you think they ran out of business because you don't hear their name. #just saying
Re: CBN Sanctions Nine Banks For Failing To Remit $2.3bn NNPC Funds by gbishman: 9:38am On Aug 24, 2016
These banks will plunge this country into chaos, sincerely as we can see they are the cause of this countries woes
Re: CBN Sanctions Nine Banks For Failing To Remit $2.3bn NNPC Funds by linusbnn(m): 9:51am On Aug 24, 2016
seunmsg:

So they have to protect their business by flouting extant financial regulations and denying the government of its legitimate forex earnings right? when a bank collects revenue on behave of a government agency, they are suppose to handle the revenue so collected according to the mandate of the agency and in this case, they are supposed to remit it to the TSA account. Doing anything contrary with the revenue collected is illegal and unacceptable no matter the justification.

That is true,I only made dat statement because of the manner you stressed punishing those banks without considering most banks are paying taxes,paying for diesel to run operation,and also trying to mobilized deposit in this hard economy. You may not understand sha,but what you said is true
Re: CBN Sanctions Nine Banks For Failing To Remit $2.3bn NNPC Funds by Ghost01(m): 9:58am On Aug 24, 2016
Some people will not kill me with laughter. You say the government has no business in business, yet you scream blue murder whenever the same government takes steps to remove its money from DMBs.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Obi Cubana To Give 20 Classmates N2 Million Each / CBN Introduces New FOREX Rates, Dollar Now N360 For "Invisibles" / Can The Imo River Take (large) Ships?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 68
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.