Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,152 members, 7,807,507 topics. Date: Wednesday, 24 April 2024 at 02:26 PM

How Nigeria Is Making It Easier For Small Businesses To Get Funding - Business - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Business / How Nigeria Is Making It Easier For Small Businesses To Get Funding (12727 Views)

16 Businesses To Start In Nigeria With N50,000 Or Less / Reasons Lagosians Should Move Their Businesses To Apapa / 12 Ways To Get Funding For Your Business (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

How Nigeria Is Making It Easier For Small Businesses To Get Funding by johntaiwo123(m): 9:56pm On Aug 23, 2016
Nigeria’s 37 million micro, small, and medium-size enterprises (MSMEs) play an important role in the country’s economy, but accessing loans to grow their business is difficult. A new initiative aims to change this, the article below, which was first published on the World Bank's website, explains more. 

In Nigeria, there are an estimated 37 million micro, small, and MSMEs and their contribution to economic growth and job creation is significant. However, many of these smaller businesses struggle to gain access to the capital they need to grow and prosper since they lack traditional collateral such as land and buildings.

In May 2016, the Central Bank of Nigeria launched a modern online collateral registry with the support of the World Bank Group. The registry will allow low-income people and small-scale entrepreneurs to secure loans against movable assets such as machinery, livestock, and inventory.

“This is a major achievement to help improve access to finance for MSMEs and more broadly the financial inclusion agenda in Nigeria,” said Sebastian Molineus, Director of the World Bank Group’s Finance and Markets Global Practice.

Nigeria is the largest economy in Sub-Saharan Africa and a focus country for the Universal Financial Access by 2020 initiative. In smaller countries, such as Ghana and Liberia, collateral registries established with the support of the World Bank Group have already proven to have a catalytic effect on the economies.

“In Ghana, the collateral registry has facilitated $1.3 billion in financing for the small-scale business sector since it was established in 2010, and $12 billion in total financing for the business sector using movable assets as collateral. We are very excited that a registry is now also in place in Nigeria,” said Elsa Rodriguez, the Bank Group’s project lead.

The Registry, which operationalizes the Central Bank of Nigeria’s “Regulations on Registration of Security Interests in Movable Property by Banks and other Financial Institutions,” is a web-based system that allows lenders to determine any prior security interests, as well as to register security interests over movable assets provided as collateral.

“The benefits of the collateral registry include enabling businesses to leverage their assets to obtain credit for growth, improve assets liquidity especially short-term assets, and allow asset diversification as well as to reduce cost and promote prudent lending,” said Mr Mainasara Muhammad, the Registrar of the National Collateral Registry.

A survey conducted by the project team shows that only 31% of MSMEs in Nigeria currently have a loan with a bank or a microfinance institution, and that personal savings and business income are the most important sources of capital for financing businesses. At the same time, 82% of financial institutions surveyed said inadequate collateral is the most common challenge in granting loans.

“It took almost a year and a half to reach this milestone, and there have been quite a few challenges along the road. Persistence and patience are important in these types of projects,” said Alejandro Alvarez de la Campa, the Bank Group’s Finance and Markets Practice Manager for Sub-Saharan Africa.

The collateral registry was implemented in partnership with the Central Bank of Nigeria, and funded by the UK’s Department for International Development, DFID. 

Source: http://www.cnbcafrica.com/news/western-africa/2016/08/22/nigerias-small-businesses/

8 Likes 2 Shares

Re: How Nigeria Is Making It Easier For Small Businesses To Get Funding by kingsley5884: 10:42pm On Aug 23, 2016
No comment... Land for sale

1 Like

Re: How Nigeria Is Making It Easier For Small Businesses To Get Funding by Flexherbal(m): 10:42pm On Aug 23, 2016
Me self need loan to grow my herbal business .
So that we can be exporting our herbal tea for men, to other countries.

2 Likes

Re: How Nigeria Is Making It Easier For Small Businesses To Get Funding by Kwonder(m): 10:42pm On Aug 23, 2016
Is it the funding inflation is eating up or which one?

1 Like

Re: How Nigeria Is Making It Easier For Small Businesses To Get Funding by Nobody: 10:42pm On Aug 23, 2016
I'm just surprised by the population density in the east shocked

7 Likes

Re: How Nigeria Is Making It Easier For Small Businesses To Get Funding by okonja(m): 10:43pm On Aug 23, 2016
kingsley5884:
A
Flexherbal:
Ok
Kwonder:
smiley
AnonyNymous:

The hustle for FTC is real mehn! lipsrsealed lipsrsealed...., Una reach touchline sametime but only Kingsley dived to reach first.... grin

Anyway that stubborn white Spectranet router...B310s-927, I dey unlock ham grin, make una use my signature contact me. cool
Re: How Nigeria Is Making It Easier For Small Businesses To Get Funding by ajaniogun14: 10:43pm On Aug 23, 2016
Seen
Re: How Nigeria Is Making It Easier For Small Businesses To Get Funding by nihinlade(m): 10:44pm On Aug 23, 2016
Thanks
Re: How Nigeria Is Making It Easier For Small Businesses To Get Funding by mohisd(m): 10:44pm On Aug 23, 2016
Who. Una EPP
Re: How Nigeria Is Making It Easier For Small Businesses To Get Funding by Nobody: 10:46pm On Aug 23, 2016
Errrm which of the Nigerias? Is it the one which in reality has forced many small scale entrepreneurs to close shop, forced many into crime and exponentially increased starvation ?
Are we referring to the same Nigeria ruled by an Emperor who wants supreme powers to "put the economy in shape "?
Sorry O, but is it the same Nigeria which through its obnoxious forex policy has forced the closure of companies, caused a galloping inflation and increased cost of production by over 100%?
Issorai, continue.
Just watch, a zombie who still collects pocket money from his parents and doesn't know "Wosup" would call me a wailer.

22 Likes

Re: How Nigeria Is Making It Easier For Small Businesses To Get Funding by Nobody: 10:46pm On Aug 23, 2016
okonja:

The hustle for FTC is real mehn! lipsrsealed lipsrsealed...., anyway I just say make I tell una say that stubborn white Spectranet router...B310s-927, I dey unlock ham grin, make una use my signature contact me. cool
grin grin grin grin
Re: How Nigeria Is Making It Easier For Small Businesses To Get Funding by okonja(m): 10:47pm On Aug 23, 2016
AnonyNymous:

grin grin grin grin

I dey feel you jare.
Re: How Nigeria Is Making It Easier For Small Businesses To Get Funding by ourchoice(m): 10:48pm On Aug 23, 2016
Why must every Nigerian government entrepreneur policy be about forcing Nigerian youths into farming?

Why can't our government talk about empowering Nigerian youths in technology development and ICT skills Why are these old Nigerian politificians so bent on throwing all Nigerian youth without a political connection to the farm This is sad

A country without her own technology can never be great! Agriculture is not the cure to Nigeria's backwardness and economic woe, technology development is the only rescue to our national backwardness in every sphere of life!

Africa must rise above #Agriculture and #Farming, Africa must take her place in global technology and innovation, and the time is now. We must stop electing old fools into leadership because the only good thing they can think of is how to go to farm and nothing else cry cry

#SayNoToForcingNigerianYouthsToFarm

14 Likes 1 Share

Re: How Nigeria Is Making It Easier For Small Businesses To Get Funding by SWORD419(m): 10:53pm On Aug 23, 2016
pls where can i get loan to fund my farm my subs don finish oooo
Re: How Nigeria Is Making It Easier For Small Businesses To Get Funding by indomitable234: 10:54pm On Aug 23, 2016
Maybe this comment wont be important for the majority of people here. Some of you will ignore it, most of yall wont bother to read and it'll go unnoticed along with other comments maybe I'll be criticized for this but i just want to let yall know I'm selling potatoes and hot beans....

1 Like

Re: How Nigeria Is Making It Easier For Small Businesses To Get Funding by zibi5: 10:55pm On Aug 23, 2016
There is noting wrong starting small.But in this hard time?
Re: How Nigeria Is Making It Easier For Small Businesses To Get Funding by Nobody: 10:57pm On Aug 23, 2016
Plz any entrepreneur who has secured this loan should let us know, at least it's been around for 3months already.
The bureaucratic bottlenecks you would have to go through is enough discouragement. And when you finally secure the loan, your business would have already packed up .

1 Like

Re: How Nigeria Is Making It Easier For Small Businesses To Get Funding by Adesiji77: 10:59pm On Aug 23, 2016
@frenchwine: LOL at "Which of the Nigerias" cheesy grin
Re: How Nigeria Is Making It Easier For Small Businesses To Get Funding by Trustyd1(m): 11:00pm On Aug 23, 2016
Before u knw it their children will collect all the money
Re: How Nigeria Is Making It Easier For Small Businesses To Get Funding by olamds(m): 11:06pm On Aug 23, 2016
Give me their link...........Pls...
Re: How Nigeria Is Making It Easier For Small Businesses To Get Funding by TheGoodJoe(m): 11:22pm On Aug 23, 2016
ourchoice:
Why must every Nigerian government entrepreneur policy be about forcing Nigerian youths into farming?

Why can't our government talk about empowering Nigerian youths in technology development and ICT skills Why are these old Nigerian politificians so bent on throwing all Nigerian youth without a political connection to the farm This is sad

A country without her own technology can never be great! Agriculture is not the cure to Nigeria's backwardness and economic woe, technology development is the only rescue to our national backwardness in every sphere of life!

Africa must rise above #Agriculture and #Farming, Africa must take her place in global technology and innovation, and the time is now. We must stop electing old fools into leadership because the only good thing they can think of is how to go to farm and nothing else cry cry

#SayNoToForcingNigerianYouthsToFarm

If you do not want to farm, leave it and do not try to discourage those who want to.

The investment and time line for a technological movement will not yield dividends soon. The farming movement will create immediate employment, drive down the dependence on imported foods and reduce the cost for foods.

Please, those who are ready to role their sleeves should make use of the opportunities now.

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: How Nigeria Is Making It Easier For Small Businesses To Get Funding by i8sins(m): 11:28pm On Aug 23, 2016
Q
Re: How Nigeria Is Making It Easier For Small Businesses To Get Funding by TheGoodJoe(m): 11:28pm On Aug 23, 2016
The registry will allow low-income people and small-scale entrepreneurs to secure loans against movable assets such as machinery, livestock, and inventory.

Brilliant initiative which I believe will work. Government and CBN has to play a role in making people know how to get these loans.

We should make good use of this opportunity.

1 Like

Re: How Nigeria Is Making It Easier For Small Businesses To Get Funding by TaiKuun(m): 11:37pm On Aug 23, 2016
TheGoodJoe:

If you do not want to farm, leave it and do not try to discourage those who want to.

The investment and time line for a technological movement will not yield dividends soon. The farming movement will create immediate employment, drive down the dependence on imported foods and reduce the cost for goods.

Please, those who are ready to role their sleeves should make use of the opportunities now.
to those who are ready to farm, there's nothing you can say that would discourage them. so just save your sermon for another day, please.
Re: How Nigeria Is Making It Easier For Small Businesses To Get Funding by TheGoodJoe(m): 12:01am On Aug 24, 2016
TaiKuun:
to those who are ready to farm, there's nothing you can say that would discourage them. so just save your sermon for another day, please.

What are you writing? Where did I discourage people from farming? Read well before quoting and commenting.

1 Like

Re: How Nigeria Is Making It Easier For Small Businesses To Get Funding by Rick9(m): 12:03am On Aug 24, 2016
Useless topic Mtcheeewww
Re: How Nigeria Is Making It Easier For Small Businesses To Get Funding by babatundepeter20: 12:14am On Aug 24, 2016
Farming for where, I fink there are other issues surrounding our growth with rent on properties for businesses being huge and rural dwellers being unable to access this opportunity given little or no info. But nothing is bad in giving it a trial.
Re: How Nigeria Is Making It Easier For Small Businesses To Get Funding by gsalvatore: 12:22am On Aug 24, 2016
Useless topic.

On the other hand, not everyone will do Agriculture.

They should be talking about preservation and storage at this age atleast not production alone. Farm produce are not even available due to lack of storage and preservation practices then to finished products.

This FG will just tell everyone to do agric then in two months the half of the harvest will go to waste...nobody want to talk about that. This is not the 60s.

I know PDP led govt was clueless and irresponsible. APC is just working very hard to make the last administration smell like Rose.

4 Likes

Re: How Nigeria Is Making It Easier For Small Businesses To Get Funding by AreaFada2: 12:32am On Aug 24, 2016
ok
Re: How Nigeria Is Making It Easier For Small Businesses To Get Funding by kgr8mike(m): 4:29am On Aug 24, 2016
Ok
Re: How Nigeria Is Making It Easier For Small Businesses To Get Funding by miqos02(m): 4:36am On Aug 24, 2016
q

(1) (2) (Reply)

Important Notice To Know About NIN For Applicants Abroad / Verify Paypal With Our Virtual Credit Cards / High Exchange Rate: Cargo Import Drops To 65% At Seaports

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 33
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.