Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,906 members, 7,802,941 topics. Date: Saturday, 20 April 2024 at 04:35 AM

My Humble Plea To Hiring Managers And Executives - Jobs/Vacancies (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Jobs/Vacancies / My Humble Plea To Hiring Managers And Executives (8641 Views)

Plea For Permanent Status For Npower Beneficiaries / See Questions Hiring Managers Do Not Want To Hear During Job Interviews, But (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: My Humble Plea To Hiring Managers And Executives by Nobody: 7:54am On Aug 28, 2016
wailing:

did already,oracle certified wink

Please where did you learn it??
Re: My Humble Plea To Hiring Managers And Executives by abduolaye(m): 8:14am On Aug 28, 2016
I,am proud of all the people in this forum,we love ourselves.
Re: My Humble Plea To Hiring Managers And Executives by Millermilli: 8:30am On Aug 28, 2016
wailing:

did already,oracle certified wink
We keep learning everything, still no job b

1 Like

Re: My Humble Plea To Hiring Managers And Executives by fkj950ax(m): 8:30am On Aug 28, 2016
chillingbabe:
Such is life, sorry about that..
Bsc sociology ..can work as an admin officer,p.a,customer service officer,front desk officer or as an assistant hr officer...Thanks, I await a favourable respond from a good Samaritan undecided

Seriously.
I'm BSc Sociology & Anthropology and run 2 mid size businesses.
Started career as a program manager with an economic research and policy advocacy firm.

If you think front desk or asst. hr the best you can do, that's not good enough.

OP, apologies to you for all those HR managers. They lack personal ethics which has influenced their work life.

My first boss gave queries and salary deductions if you invite people to the office and made them wait. He made us understand that you must respect other people's time. That's the only resource some people have.

5 Likes

Re: My Humble Plea To Hiring Managers And Executives by zikter(m): 8:35am On Aug 28, 2016
sabichele:

Sesanbimbo, there was nothing 'rubbish' in the advise i gave him. For heavens' sake he can't say he is demoralized when he ain't got the job yet; except he wants to say his frustration is borne from the fact that he is so desperate, which is a weakness for a prospective employee to a HR. He doesn't need to be demoralized because they are delaying to revert to him, every job has a specific attitude requirements, not just your 1st Class or 2-1 or your dexterity in answering interview questions....those are secondary. In his case, he is an Engineer and this company he applied to could be an Engineering organization; from my knowledge of such organizations, they need people who are very patient to achieving purpose and who are tolerant.

Moreover, they invited him and left him to wait at the reception.....that could be on purpose and there could be a strong motive for that; they might even be observing him while he was waiting to see his reactions. You probably don't know the circumstances why an employer will put a position vacant ? Someone might be in that position before the position became vacant. That person might be very good and they might need similar or better attributes in the next person; perhaps otherwise, and they will require a better replacement as a correction.

When i said he should be patient, it is rubbish, sir!
you certainly have a point here
Re: My Humble Plea To Hiring Managers And Executives by shekonz(m): 8:36am On Aug 28, 2016
chillingbabe:
Such is life, sorry about that..
Bsc sociology ..can work as an admin officer,p.a,customer service officer,front desk officer or as an assistant hr officer...Thanks, I await a favourable respond from a good Samaritan undecided

Are u in lagos?? Forward your cv to afolabishekoni@gmail.com
Re: My Humble Plea To Hiring Managers And Executives by huthority01(m): 8:36am On Aug 28, 2016
GENERAL NOTICE : THAT'S PART OF THE NEW INTERVIEW FORMAT CALLED STRESS INTERVIEW TO TEST HOW BEST YOU CAN MANAGE STRESS (EMOTIONS) WITHOUT BEING DISORGANISED.... PLEASE NOTE....
Re: My Humble Plea To Hiring Managers And Executives by agrovick(m): 9:03am On Aug 28, 2016
LydayBobo:
From experience you don't test prospective here's patience with delayed interview. I have been privileged to conduct interviews for a reputable company and its never done as above. PM me. Am not promising anything but will try and assist and we pray together for successful outcome.
My Oga, happy Sunday.

Permission to PM you as well.
Re: My Humble Plea To Hiring Managers And Executives by rman: 9:05am On Aug 28, 2016
samuel3818:
I am one of the many job seeking graduates in the country. I have attended interviews and written several tests. The attitude of Hiring Managers to job seekers can be frustrating. I just had a very terrible experience today.
I was in my hometown in Osun state when all of a sudden, i got a call from a company i had a telephone interview with after series of tests to come for a face to face interview today Wednesday. the though of rescheduling did not even cross my mind as i seriously need a job. I left Osun for Lagos on Tuesday in readiness for my interview that was supposed to hold today. I got to the office about 1hr 30mins earlier than the time the interview was scheduled for and was met by a receptionist uttering the words "oh, sorry i forgot to call you..I actually thought you would come later than this. Your interview has been moved from 12 noon to 2pm". I then responded and made it clear that although I should have been informed earlier, it was still not a big issue. i opted to wait in the office till 2pm. When it was 2pm, i asked another staff to help me remind the receptionist that i was still waiting. A few minutes later, i was informed that the people that were supposed to interview me were still not ready. One was away on an assignment and the other was to start a meeting later. I was then asked to come back another day. Needless to say, I felt very bad as i waited that long only to be met with disappointment.
Dear Hiring managers, attitudes such as this one make job seekers feel bad. The long wait for mails(sometimes taking months), the needless habit of making job seekers wait for long hours before being attended to, the sometimes funny and unrealistic interview questions(a friend was asked why he didnt make all A's in his WAEC) amongst others are just so not fair. Please make job seekers feel like humans and not like slaves, afterall, the journey of a thousand miles begins with one step. Who knows what will happen tomorrow when i show up at the office again?

PS: I studied Engineering (2-1) and i would be willing to forward my CV to anyone who so wishes to see it. I am sure one or two things would be of interest

Serious MNC compnaies do not do that.

You can determine how internal HR policies are from when you are being recruited. In fact, where I work, if a panel is just 15mins late, they will apologie and sometimes they feed u.

Do not be discouraged, be calm and if u were selected, and become good at what u do, your time there will be brief and such firms hardly hold onto their best hands.

3 Likes

Re: My Humble Plea To Hiring Managers And Executives by ROCE: 9:17am On Aug 28, 2016
sabichele:

Moreover, they invited him and left him to wait at the reception.....that could be on purpose and there could be a strong motive for that; they might even be observing him while he was waiting to see his reactions. You probably don't know the circumstances why an employer will put a position vacant ? Someone might be in that position before the position became vacant. That person might be very good and they might need similar or better attributes in the next person; perhaps otherwise, and they will require a better replacement as a correction.

When i said he should be patient, it is rubbish, sir!

IMO, these are just excuses because the young man has little or no experience. Any SERIOUS organisation will stick to the time provided - in fact, your coming late will have an effect. There's something called scheduling and respect for time.
If you want to play this patience game, I will also tell you of a guy who left the place 30 minutes later and it was the company that begged him later on using his own schedule! Let's not gloss incompetence in this typical Naija maybe games abeg.

Coming all the way from Osun is no joke abeg, especially for a job that he may eventually not get. Where does he have to stay? How does he go back home? They were well aware of his address before any patience test - why didn't they just conduct a distance test instead

"oh, sorry i forgot to call you" is enough evidence to nail this case. The OP was even observant enough to notice that his interviewers were absent.
This was pure incompetence on the part of the person who sent him a mail. Sefini

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: My Humble Plea To Hiring Managers And Executives by AntiWailer: 9:18am On Aug 28, 2016
samuel3818:
I am one of the many job seeking graduates in the country. I have attended interviews and written several tests. The attitude of Hiring Managers to job seekers can be frustrating. I just had a very terrible experience today.
I was in my hometown in Osun state when all of a sudden, i got a call from a company i had a telephone interview with after series of tests to come for a face to face interview today Wednesday. the though of rescheduling did not even cross my mind as i seriously need a job. I left Osun for Lagos on Tuesday in readiness for my interview that was supposed to hold today. I got to the office about 1hr 30mins earlier than the time the interview was scheduled for and was met by a receptionist uttering the words "oh, sorry i forgot to call you..I actually thought you would come later than this. Your interview has been moved from 12 noon to 2pm". I then responded and made it clear that although I should have been informed earlier, it was still not a big issue. i opted to wait in the office till 2pm. When it was 2pm, i asked another staff to help me remind the receptionist that i was still waiting. A few minutes later, i was informed that the people that were supposed to interview me were still not ready. One was away on an assignment and the other was to start a meeting later. I was then asked to come back another day. Needless to say, I felt very bad as i waited that long only to be met with disappointment.
Dear Hiring managers, attitudes such as this one make job seekers feel bad. The long wait for mails(sometimes taking months), the needless habit of making job seekers wait for long hours before being attended to, the sometimes funny and unrealistic interview questions(a friend was asked why he didnt make all A's in his WAEC) amongst others are just so not fair. Please make job seekers feel like humans and not like slaves, afterall, the journey of a thousand miles begins with one step. Who knows what will happen tomorrow when i show up at the office again?

PS: I studied Engineering (2-1) and i would be willing to forward my CV to anyone who so wishes to see it. I am sure one or two things would be of interest

Sorry about your experience.

Did you tell them that you came in all the way from Osun State ?

Back in the days, I flew to Lagos 3 times until the day I told the guy that i wont fly in the fourth time that I have been coming from Abuja every time they called me.

He felt very bad and apologized. He also ensured i did everything i needed to do and the next time i came in, i actually resumed.

Hold on bro, everything will soon make sense.

Very soon, they will be scared of interviewing you, they will call it a chat.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: My Humble Plea To Hiring Managers And Executives by Getrich47(m): 9:23am On Aug 28, 2016
Forward your CV here. raylincoln89@gmail.com
Re: My Humble Plea To Hiring Managers And Executives by Artistree: 9:23am On Aug 28, 2016
My first boss gave queries and salary deductions if you invite people to the office and made them wait. He made us understand that you must respect other people's time. That's the only resource some people have. [/quote]
My dear, that boss is the boss. I once went for one bank's final interview in Lagos and after so many hours of waiting, we were told that the panel had an impromptu meeting that morning and the interview wouldn't hold. However, we were asked to go and a new date will be communicated to us shortly and transport fare will be refunded upon presentation of receipt whether by flight or road.
I had an exam the next day by 9am so I took a bus by 5pm and got home by 10pm. Immediately I stepped out of the exam hall, I got an SMS reinviting me for the interview the very next day. True to their word, they refunded each and everyone of us.
I think that's how potential employers should treat their would be employees and not going incommunicado for reasons best known to them

3 Likes

Re: My Humble Plea To Hiring Managers And Executives by mrjay04: 9:45am On Aug 28, 2016
Good day all, am also looking for Job, BSC business Administration. 2:1 also a certification on project management and human resource management. thanks to my helper. I can be reached misterjaystar@Gmail.com
Re: My Humble Plea To Hiring Managers And Executives by Mixty: 10:08am On Aug 28, 2016
samuel3818:

I totally understand your frustration. Of course, I have been in similar shoes where I had to wait for extensive hours to meet the Manager who was to interview me. He had lots of meetings on that day. He even asked if I will like to reschedule but I said no. I waited for not less than 5 to 6 hours longer than the initially agreed interview time before I could finally meet him for my interview. And I came all the way from another state. Good to know I finally got the job.

I agree that companies in Nigeria need to do much better in how they treat job seekers who are potential employees. It says a lot about the company as a whole and it is largely due to high level of unemployment in Nigeria.

Having said that, lemme give you a peep into how many organizations run in Nigeria and I will be very blunt with you. You need to realise that graduate job seekers like you are the very LEAST of their priorities in their day to day activities to run the business and keep it afloat. Many of these managers are really very busy people and the workplace is sometimes very dynamic in terms of changing work priorities. Sometimes, business contigencies may make them reschedule their work plans several times within a day or week. It happens even to me at my level. I usually have interns working under me from time to time, and I only have their time when I am less busy. Based on the volume of work on my desk at certain periods, mentoring interns may seem to be one of the LEAST priorities in my work plan, eventhough I try to make out time for them compared to my other colleagues. Same thing happens when I am trying to hold an important meeting with my boss or senior managers. I may have to reschedule again and again to fit into their changing work priorities and commitment.

But all in all, hiring managers need to be empathetic to the plights of job seekers who spend time, resources and effort trying to show they can add value to the company.

So please exercise lots of patience & understanding. Remain positive minded. And try to treat job seekers a little better when you get there.

2 Likes

Re: My Humble Plea To Hiring Managers And Executives by AvsGot007(m): 10:32am On Aug 28, 2016
oh my God...Nigerians will always find ways to make bad to be good with stupid reasons...reading y'all posts saying it's a test! you're prolly saying over 20+ employers that av treated me this way are all testing my patience?? oh what a coincidence!!!

even where i work right now, they did same thing and I was thinking it's a test before I found out it's mental issue

5 Likes 3 Shares

Re: My Humble Plea To Hiring Managers And Executives by Boo2Bear(f): 10:58am On Aug 28, 2016
Typical of hiring companies in Nigeria. I can't even begin to share my #jobsearch stories cos here won't contain them. I'm beginning to live in the illusion of getting a good job after school sad. Well for it not to affect my productivity and self esteem, yea getting rejected all the time will dampen your self esteem. I have decided to take my destiny into my hands.

I will go into street food business(noodles, fries) and save up from there till I build my own empire worthy of a name. #20,000-30,000 should set me up with that. I pray I find a helper soon with my capital and I'M DONE JOB HUNTING!

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: My Humble Plea To Hiring Managers And Executives by fetrillion(m): 11:01am On Aug 28, 2016
Sesanbimbo:

Rubbish for you saying he shouldnt have posted this. He did it because he was demoralized and thats not good... I call it slave attitude if you admit to that. Why would i denigrate to that.
did u just say denigrate?..den go n create ur job n stop looking for one.. where is his tenacity,he must endure n persevere bcs nothing gud comes easy.. As an entrepreneur,you encounter series of challenges establishing ur business organization bt only ur zeal, perseverance and tenacity wud take u there..
if we say u sud create jobs for urslf, u wud be giving excuses such as there's no capital..not Every one can be an entrepreneur.. then be employable n search for jobs.. you are here complaining ..ur interview has started if u don't know.. wish u best of God

1 Like

Re: My Humble Plea To Hiring Managers And Executives by ojoj(m): 11:52am On Aug 28, 2016
It is Nigerian factor. Black people with black mentality. The whites don't do this. With my experience with the Oyinbos here in Nigeria, if they say 10am it is 10am but we blacks.....God will help us. He has the right to show his annoyance. Some people are saying he has no right to complain.... Rubbish!

3 Likes

Re: My Humble Plea To Hiring Managers And Executives by LydayBobo(m): 12:01pm On Aug 28, 2016
agrovick:

My Oga, happy Sunday.

Permission to PM you as well.
OK
Re: My Humble Plea To Hiring Managers And Executives by LEGENDP(m): 2:44pm On Aug 28, 2016
Earn10$ per 10 seconds task, earn 2000$ monthly-onlie job. Visit http://Money4Task.com/?ref=244231
Re: My Humble Plea To Hiring Managers And Executives by Redeemite(m): 5:01pm On Aug 28, 2016
COPIED SIR
Re: My Humble Plea To Hiring Managers And Executives by Nobody: 9:25pm On Aug 28, 2016
Yu damn right. From the way that organisation responded, you already know they are bleeped up pipz
Sesanbimbo:

Bro i understand few of your points you are making here.... Well some didn't cut out for me.. What ever the employer had in mind is pure bullshit... simple email to reschedule such appointment would have placed such company in high esteem and deem fit for consideration. I hope you know that working for a company is in the best interest of such company. No matter the amount they are paying you, they will get double fold of such from your services.
The only issue on ground is the increased unemployment rate.. Well there are a lot of prospective candidate to draw from the job applicant pool. Else, the so called almighty HR won't play mind games or what ever you call it with no one. If you can't value me or my time. Then you are not worth working for.

2 Likes

Re: My Humble Plea To Hiring Managers And Executives by missyojo(f): 9:41pm On Aug 28, 2016
Good evening all, pls am in need of job. I have a b.sc in sociology and also have experience as a CCR, i can work as a front desk officer, customer care rep, admin, receptionist and hr assistant. Thank you all !!!
Re: My Humble Plea To Hiring Managers And Executives by samuel3818: 11:53pm On Sep 22, 2016
LydayBobo:
From experience you don't test prospective here's patience with delayed interview. I have been privileged to conduct interviews for a reputable company and its never done as above. PM me. Am not promising anything but will try and assist and we pray together for successful outcome.

PMed you sir
Re: My Humble Plea To Hiring Managers And Executives by mmauton: 12:10am On Sep 23, 2016
Please anyone with job opening should help. Am a Chemical Engineering grasuate with 3 years Administrative Experience
Re: My Humble Plea To Hiring Managers And Executives by mmauton: 12:10am On Sep 23, 2016
Please anyone with job opening should help. Am a Chemical Engineering graduate with 3 years Administrative Experience
Re: My Humble Plea To Hiring Managers And Executives by sholay2011(m): 4:05am On Sep 23, 2016
ojoj:
It is Nigerian factor. Black people with black mentality. The whites don't do this. With my experience with the Oyinbos here in Nigeria, if they say 10am it is 10am but we blacks.....God will help us. He has the right to show his annoyance. Some people are saying he has no right to complain.... Rubbish!
I agree with this. The hiring managers were just totally unprofessional. To hell with patience test!

I am presently studying for my Masters outside Nigeria and if I schedule a meeting with my supervisor and he arrives 1 minute late, he apologises and explains what caused the unwarranted lateness.

The idea of a black man concerning superiority is albeit inferior itself.
Re: My Humble Plea To Hiring Managers And Executives by christhavemercy(f): 11:18am On Sep 23, 2016
EdoBoy90:
sociologists go and learn web designing and programming.
as per what? I studied sociology and finally I got a job as a HR trainee/assist. A lady recently came to drop her cv, she looked very tattered and her cv was dirty, she studied computer sci with all these una oracle stuff yet no experience.. I just pitied d girl and accepted d CV and even helped her to make a fresh copy cos hers wasnt neat. There isnt even an opening but I accepted it in case one opens up. My advice to sociologists is to buckle up on maths and numericals. You will need it.
Re: My Humble Plea To Hiring Managers And Executives by ammierie(f): 1:29pm On Sep 23, 2016
christhavemercy:
as per what? I studied sociology and finally I got a job as a HR trainee/assist. A lady recently came to drop her cv, she looked very tattered and her cv was dirty, she studied computer sci with all these una oracle stuff yet no experience.. I just pitied d girl and accepted d CV and even helped her to make a fresh copy cos hers wasnt neat. There isnt even an opening but I accepted it in case one opens up. My advice to sociologists is to buckle up on maths and numericals. You will need it.
Please maam, should I also send my cv in case anything comes up in your office? Front desk or customer care rep.

(1) (2) (Reply)

N-power Backlogs: What To Do If You Have Not Been Paid / N-power Payment/n-exit Issues: Please Contact Nneka Ikem Anibeze / Unity Bank Is Recruiting Executive Trainees

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 89
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.