Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,296 members, 7,808,004 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 02:25 AM

Who Can Apprehend This Fraudster? - Business - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Business / Who Can Apprehend This Fraudster? (2633 Views)

See How I Caught This Fraudster / Dareylink (08141629384) Is A Scammer, Fraudster, Thief Etc (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Who Can Apprehend This Fraudster? by arbitrage: 11:48pm On Aug 24, 2016
I suddenly got email alerts yesterday that my online banking password to my US account has been changed. I quickly tried to log on to confirm and the system said invalid password. I quickly called the bank and they reset my password and sent me temporary password but I didn't receive the temporary password to my phone number as expected. Instead, I received email alerts informing me of the password reset. That was when I checked well and saw other earlier email alerts that showed that the hacker had not only changed my password, but has also deactivated my phone number and replaced it with his Etisalat number 09096955998.

I informed the bank and they removed the scammer number and resent me another temporary password, which I got and used to access my account. Thank God the thief has not touched my money, though the bank said repeated trials may have locked it. But the son of perdition was not through yet. Meanwhile, we tried that Etisalat number and the thief claimed he lives in Magodo GRA and may likely travel out of Nigeria yesterday.

Later last night I checked my email again and saw email alerts had come in about 4 hours earlier, that my password has been changed again and the phone number changed to the same Etisalat number. I had to call the bank again and they ended up disabling everything about online and mobile banking on my account going by the repeated security compromise. I am left with my MasterCard access to the account at least to stay safe for now. The baffling question till now is how the thief repeatedly got my account password that yesterday and who can help to apprehend him. A good reward awaits the person who can do here what SurveyProf used to do here before.

4 Likes

Re: Who Can Apprehend This Fraudster? by mhizAnnie(f): 11:54pm On Aug 24, 2016
arbitrage:
I suddenly got email alerts yesterday that my online banking password to my US account has been changed. I quickly tried to log on to confirm and the system said invalid password. I quickly called the bank and they reset my password and sent me temporary password but I didn't receive the temporary password to my phone number as expected. Instead, I received email alerts informing me of the password reset. That was when I checked well and saw other earlier email alerts that showed that the hacker had not only changed my password, but has also deactivated my phone number and replaced it with his Etisalat number 09096955998.

I informed the bank and they removed the scammer number and resent me another temporary password, which I got and used to access my account. Thank God the thief has not touched my money, though the bank said repeated trials may have locked it. But the son of perdition was not through yet. Meanwhile, we tried that Etisalat number and the thief claimed he lives in Magodo GRA and may likely travel out of Nigeria yesterday.

Later last night I checked my email again and saw email alerts had come in about 4 hours earlier, that my password has been changed again and the phone number changed to the same Etisalat number. I had to call the bank again and they ended up disabling everything about online and mobile banking on my account going by the repeated security compromise. I am left with my MasterCard access to the account at least to stay safe for now. The baffling question till now is how the thief repeatedly got my account password that yesterday and who can help to apprehend him. A good reward awaits the person who can do here what SurveyProf used to do here before.

Go to the police and promise them the reward and watch them swing into action. If the reward is appealing enough, u'll get the culprit in no time. They can get in touch with the mobile network and ur bank to get this thief

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Who Can Apprehend This Fraudster? by princetom1(m): 12:01am On Aug 25, 2016
mhizAnnie:

Go to the police and promise them the reward and watch them swing into action. If the reward is appealing enough, u'll get the culprit in no time. They can get in touch with the mobile network and ur bank to get this thief

The thief is quite smart. U are underestimating him. Wonder how some still beat bvn up till date. The only way to catch him is if he touches the money, maybe make purchase online or transfer. He might be even reading this and smilling. Be careful arbitrage, whoever says he can apprehend him. No tools, efcc can help u though
Re: Who Can Apprehend This Fraudster? by arbitrage: 12:19am On Aug 25, 2016
mhizAnnie:

Thanks

1 Like

Re: Who Can Apprehend This Fraudster? by arbitrage: 12:21am On Aug 25, 2016
princetom1:

The thief is quite smart. U are underestimating him. Wonder how some still beat bvn up till date. The only way to catch him is if he touches the money, maybe make purchase online or transfer. He might be even reading this and smilling. Be careful arbitrage, whoever says he can apprehend him. No tools, efcc can help u though

Thanks
Re: Who Can Apprehend This Fraudster? by micfoley: 12:28am On Aug 25, 2016
Wao. Boys are desperate o
Re: Who Can Apprehend This Fraudster? by obisunny1(m): 1:45am On Aug 25, 2016
4mat ur system to get rid of the rat!!!

3 Likes

Re: Who Can Apprehend This Fraudster? by uboma(m): 2:54am On Aug 25, 2016
Have you considered if the person is well known to you?

Can you recall having shared your password with anyone recently?

If you have, then you may start your search from him/her.

And avoid passwords that are fairly easy to guess. A combination of words, numbers and symbols may be okay as a password as long as you can recall it.

Finally do not share your passwords with anyone. If you have to probably due to emergency situation, please change it afterwards.
Re: Who Can Apprehend This Fraudster? by madridguy(m): 4:54am On Aug 25, 2016
I believe your computer has been hacked. I suggest you get a new computer because not even reformat can help your computer from some sophisticated hacking software.

As for the Scammer, write the Nigeria police, get a order from the court, with police report, submit to etisalat Nigeria and let them help you to tap the Scammer line. Very simple as ABC if you're serious about.

1 Like

Re: Who Can Apprehend This Fraudster? by Roseey0(f): 4:56am On Aug 25, 2016
Format your system and change all your log in details for all onlinee log on. Including Nairaland.
What bank is that?
Why will their system allow someone that wasn't physically present @ the bank to change phone numbers at freewil?
Numbers are very delicate, changing it in some banks requires police extract and in some, evidence of ownership of both old and new number.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Who Can Apprehend This Fraudster? by aleshsenior2000(m): 7:18am On Aug 25, 2016
Mehn, I fear fear o. Well, I suggest you get police report at the police headquarter then take it to etisalat head office you might even go with your lawyer for them to know how serious the case is. Bro if you didn't show them that you are ready for the case at the etisalat office they might not assist you with the scammer info. My little advice
Re: Who Can Apprehend This Fraudster? by Nobody: 7:35am On Aug 25, 2016
arbitrage:

Thanks
That's his bank transfer fraudsters operate.
Would be a nice challenge to take up though.
Will see what I can do .
Re: Who Can Apprehend This Fraudster? by princetom1(m): 8:48am On Aug 25, 2016
uboma:
Have you considered if the person is well known to you?

Can you recall having shared your password with anyone recently?

If you have, then you may start your search from him/her.

And avoid passwords that are fairly easy to guess. A combination of words, numbers and symbols may be okay as a password as long as you can recall it.

Finally do not share your passwords with anyone. If you have to probably due to emergency situation, please change it afterwards.

It might not be all those. As the fraudster had been able to make changes over and over again, u need to work on your email address, for a start, change password or u can create a new email address and password for your account. I guess its probably he has access to ur email (which is strange also, he isn't covering his track) ,. It might also be, u have a virus installed on ur system and guy peeping through it
Re: Who Can Apprehend This Fraudster? by arbitrage: 12:12am On Aug 28, 2016
Thank you all for your advice. I have not even been using my computer for quite a long time since my phone is my everything these days. I was also thinking it could be a tool or code from an app that's feeding the hacker. The only pointer I have is a letter I received last week in my post office box purportedly from my other US bank, which requested for KYC due diligence forms to be filled and supporting documents to be attached by scan to an email address (or fax) that is different from the bank's domain name, although carrying the bank's logo or letterhead. The bank was not sure the posted KYC letter came from them.

I responded to it and made mention of this other compromised bank account on that form where it was required. Then another reply came to request for they account number of this second bank I mentioned on the KYC form as a way of verifying me and linking my record together. That must have been where I sold out and I replied too with just the account number they asked. But if that's it, I still wonder how they got my password whereas it was only the account number requested. Also why they didn't touch the first bank account for which the letter and forms were sent but the second one I just mentioned in the course of filling the KYC form. Though the untouched bank account uses hardware and software tokens; I guess that made it impenetrable for the hackers while the one based on password was able to be decoded.
Re: Who Can Apprehend This Fraudster? by Nobody: 1:35am On Aug 28, 2016
arbitrage:
Thank you all for your advice. I have not even been using my computer for quite a long time since my phone is my everything these days. I was also thinking it could be a tool or code from an app that's feeding the hacker. The only pointer I have is a letter I received last week in my post office box purportedly from my other US bank, which requested for KYC due diligence forms to be filled and supporting documents to be attached by scan to an email address (or fax) that is different from the bank's domain name, although carrying the bank's logo or letterhead. The bank was not sure the posted KYC letter came from them.

I responded to it and made mention of this other compromised bank account on that form where it was required. Then another reply came to request for they account number of this second bank I mentioned on the KYC form as a way of verifying me and linking my record together. That must have been where I sold out and I replied too with just the account number they asked. But if that's it, I still wonder how they got my password whereas it was only the account number requested. Also why they didn't touch the first bank account for which the letter and forms were sent but the second one I just mentioned in the course of filling the KYC form. Though the untouched bank account uses hardware and software tokens; I guess that made it impenetrable for the hackers while the one based on password was able to be decoded.

Chai!
This people are getting more brazen and sophisticated by the day.

Sadly you did not respond to my comment on this thread , I would have taken up the challenge.
Re: Who Can Apprehend This Fraudster? by OAUTemitayo: 3:25am On Aug 28, 2016
arbitrage check your computer for keyloggers
Re: Who Can Apprehend This Fraudster? by MPVGoddess: 8:35am On Aug 28, 2016
arbitrage:

you got owned

nice analysis

Get your bank to change all your PII - in effect similar to the american witness protection program - you need a new identity, this one is compromised

Then backup your phone data and wipe it clean, then install enhanced security on it - recommending what even spy agencies use - kaspersky av, dr.web and the likes from russia

same for your pc and then practice safe computing

next do not ever send PII to anyone without personally confirming that it came from the person who appears to be requesting it

and you should be safe

these guys are sophisticated and may not even be the handiwork of one person but a dedicated team.

Good luck finding them.
Re: Who Can Apprehend This Fraudster? by skrillnaija(m): 8:56am On Aug 28, 2016
Let me break down this for your understanding... Its obviously a rat.. this rat has a Php script and an exe software. This rat can infect you through pdf files documents music videos softwares. They automatically install themselves on your system. that even after formating the system they can still be functional. The rat saves every stroke from your keyboard and everything coming in. And it sends it to the owner of the rat. Which is shown on the Php script installed on a domain server. The owner of the rat then filters what he needs. The rat also takes control of your webcam and videos you. And also if you use Yahoo or Gmail I can be logged into your account even after you change your Password. Thats it

1 Like

Re: Who Can Apprehend This Fraudster? by Diablo666: 8:58am On Aug 28, 2016
let me try. i ve tracked down one notorious nl scammer before.
Re: Who Can Apprehend This Fraudster? by arbitrage: 11:37pm On Aug 28, 2016
Thanks. I'm only using phone. Maybe there's also touchscreen loggers or not keyloggers.
Re: Who Can Apprehend This Fraudster? by Nobody: 6:59am On Aug 29, 2016
arbitrage:
Thanks. I'm only using phone. Maybe there's also touchscreen loggers or not keyloggers.

Mobile devices can also be hacked over WiFi networks sir.
Re: Who Can Apprehend This Fraudster? by teemy(m): 7:25am On Aug 29, 2016
arbitrade, adding to ybnr's last post it seems you were specifically targeted by someone in your localty who sent you the packages and hacked your phone. which tech savvy dude recently accessed your phone? and see if you can trace the bank delivery.
Re: Who Can Apprehend This Fraudster? by Nobody: 9:18am On Aug 29, 2016
teemy:
arbitrade, adding to ybnr's last post it seems you were specifically targeted by someone in your localty who sent you the packages and hacked your phone. which tech savvy dude recently accessed your phone? and see if you can trace the bank delivery.
It's obvious he was targeted and most likely by someone who has sufficient info about him.

1 Like

Re: Who Can Apprehend This Fraudster? by arbitrage: 11:28pm On Aug 29, 2016
I think it's online phishing and not nearby because I'm almost sure no one around me has the bank's details. More so, the letter has the dated Post Office Stamp of the Canadian town it passed through from US before arrival in my Ikoyi Post Office box.
Re: Who Can Apprehend This Fraudster? by arbitrage: 11:10pm On Oct 25, 2016
Diablo666:
let me try. i ve tracked down one notorious nl scammer before.

I never knew the evil guy never gave up since then until I checked my Post Office box last Sunday evening and saw another letter from one of the US banks showing that the fraudster has cleaned my account by requesting a wire transfer, which was successfully processed on September 13. I called the bank yesterday and they confirmed receiving my wire transfer request by fax, which I never requested. After investigation, the bank confirmed that the scammer requested the money wire transfer to a Fidelity Bank Limited in Ghana as the pick up location. But it seemed they could not succeed there at the bank and the wire transfer was sent back to the US bank on October 4. Nigerians are just spoiling their already bad name everywhere they go with their scams.
Re: Who Can Apprehend This Fraudster? by OAUTemitayo: 11:26pm On Oct 25, 2016
arbitrage:

I never knew the evil guy never gave up since then until I checked my Post Office box last Sunday evening and saw another letter from one of the US banks showing that the fraudster has cleaned my account by requesting a wire transfer, which was successfully processed on September 13. I called the bank yesterday and they confirmed receiving my wire transfer request by fax, which I never requested. After investigation, the bank confirmed that the scammer requested the money wire transfer to a Fidelity Bank Limited in Ghana as the pick up location. But it seemed they could not succeed there at the bank and the wire transfer was sent back to the US bank on October 4. Nigerians are just spoiling their already bad name everywhere they go with their scams.
Beware of Keyloggers.
This is not phishing. This is key logging. It is installed there on your system but you won't see it.
Factory reset or bankruptcy is loading.
Re: Who Can Apprehend This Fraudster? by HazzanTazzan(m): 12:53am On Oct 26, 2016
Bros...close your accounts and open new once with immediate alacrity....
Dont operate any online transactions on the new accounts
Open another acct where you will be putiting money for immediate online transactions..

That's the only way out of this mess or you withdraw all your money and dig a hole behind your house and stash your cash...

Short of that, those guys will drain you oooo
Re: Who Can Apprehend This Fraudster? by arbitrage: 12:29am On Oct 31, 2016

Chai!
This people are getting more brazen and sophisticated by the day.

Sadly you did not respond to my comment on this thread , I would have taken up the challenge.

You're welcome to assist in combating crime please.
Re: Who Can Apprehend This Fraudster? by arbitrage: 12:32am On Oct 31, 2016
OAUTemitayo:
Beware of Keyloggers.
This is not phishing. This is key logging. It is installed there on your system but you won't see it.
Factory reset or bankruptcy is loading.

This last one is even by postal mail and not online access. They wrote me letter and also faxed letter to the bank in my name. Because I use token for the online banking access, they could not succeed with internet but letter option.
Re: Who Can Apprehend This Fraudster? by EZEIGBO1OFIMO: 4:26am On Oct 31, 2016
arbitrage:

This last one is even by postal mail and not online access. They wrote me letter and also faxed letter to the bank in my name. Because I use token for the online banking access, they could not succeed with internet but letter option.
I thought Physical transactions such as mail and fax required thorough confirmations; I think this particular is being too careless with your money, switch banks ASAP

(1) (Reply)

Please Help My Paypal Issue / A Broken Down Step By Step Guide On Mini Importation Business / Handmade Hand Bag

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 63
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.