Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,149,725 members, 7,805,971 topics. Date: Tuesday, 23 April 2024 at 09:32 AM

West African Idols: Season 1 (2007) - Music/Radio (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Music/Radio / West African Idols: Season 1 (2007) (47590 Views)

Airforce 1 On STV Right Now, Nigerian Idols season V / Pepsi Nigerian Idols / Dare Art Alade On American Idols? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (24) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: West African Idols: Season 1 (2007) by lawyerchap(m): 6:35pm On Feb 20, 2007
The judges have been making some inexplicable selections. Some really hot talents are being rejected while some average performers are being let thru to the next round based on some really flimsy reasons. But we're sure of one thing though, Nana (the Ghanaian female judge) is definitely not a lesbian as she's been going nuts for the fine naija guys coming to show their stuff. She's judging, not with her eyes and ears, but with a part of her anatomy usually reserved for , well, not for judging musical talent. She appears to have beef for the lovely ladies with really powerful voices and keeps voting NO when the performer is female. But even the male judges have slipped at least once in this regard when they were completely overwhelmed by the electrifying presence of Titlayo Adelagun, whom you’ll remember as the main chic in the Freewindz video. She looked absolutely stunning as she did her average rendition of Evanescence’s My Immortal. Apparently, with such beauty whistling in their ears Dan Foster and Dede Mabiaku didn’t quite hear the flaws in her voice or in her delivery. But trust me, she does look threateningly like idol material if we were going by looks alone.
The Abuja auditions showed that more of the country’s singing talent is in the federal capital city. Hordes of great singers were turned away including six footer Somto, Hebrew-named Cyteka and the delightful 18 year old half caste Gina. A shocking selection for me was the 18 year old runt of a guy who’s going to be cannon fodder and comic relief when he gets to the next round. But the fact that he was chosen over some of the folks I’ve mentioned is a travesty indeed.
Re: West African Idols: Season 1 (2007) by Seun(m): 6:38pm On Feb 20, 2007
I agree with you about Nana. Sometimes it seems as if she thinks her role is to judge appearances with her emotions.
Re: West African Idols: Season 1 (2007) by Eastcoast(f): 7:35pm On Feb 20, 2007
I watched some of the clips. The show is good no doubt but, why does that Dede guy have to do so much talking. instead of going straight to the topic he beats around the bush so much and usually he is just saying random stuff that doesn't even reinforce what the show is about.
Re: West African Idols: Season 1 (2007) by Seun(m): 9:37pm On Feb 20, 2007
I agree with that, too. He's trying to display how much he knows, which may not be much! grin
Re: West African Idols: Season 1 (2007) by jjuummaaii(f): 12:00am On Feb 21, 2007
I actually dont know what dede is all about but if i could recall from a few American idols & south african i've watched, I think there's usually one very though and mouthy person among the judges, then one linient one and one in between, i think thats what they are trying to copy, and I think the guy kinda adds some juice to the prog and I dont think we should be totally pissed off with him, the ghana lady sometimes bases her judgements on very unreasonable and trivial issues, but above all the show is full of so much lafta and am already gettin addicted to it.
I laffed my head off today when I watched a guy dressed like an african babalawao(herbalist) and was just yarning rubbish in the name of singing, u guys needed to have seen it,the guy looked drunk or high and am sure he was maybe high on some weed or something else, he was over aged and he still kept yarning real crap.
Re: West African Idols: Season 1 (2007) by queen2(f): 2:46pm On Feb 21, 2007
I really wish i could watch it sad

loverbwoy its West african idol and its not African idol becuase its not whole of Africa
Re: West African Idols: Season 1 (2007) by viperman: 3:06pm On Feb 21, 2007
@lawyerchap

good post.
I would like to meet nana though. She would surely like me cool

@jummai

jummai, i am thinking here that i have met you in person, not quite sure though.
Do you know anybody by the name immanuel? smiley
Re: West African Idols: Season 1 (2007) by jjuummaaii(f): 3:16pm On Feb 21, 2007
hi Viperman,
I think I kno loads of immanuels so thats strong enuf for me to be convinced we've met.
A little bit of description of urself might do some help.
Re: West African Idols: Season 1 (2007) by LoverBwoy(m): 6:19pm On Feb 21, 2007
Eastcoast:

I watched some of the clips. The show is good no doubt but, why does that Dede guy have to do so much talking. instead of going straight to the topic he beats around the bush so much and usually he is just saying random stuff that doesn't even reinforce what the show is about.

True! he's an attention seeker angry
Re: West African Idols: Season 1 (2007) by Everbright(f): 7:35pm On Feb 21, 2007
Really Dede is getting on my nerves
dou i sum times enjoy how he luks @ sum mad pple dia
but for cryin out loud he's kinda intimidating contestants
south african and american idols were not like dat
can u imagine him insultin his fellow judge? haba
Re: West African Idols: Season 1 (2007) by Everbright(f): 7:45pm On Feb 21, 2007
come did u see that babe
the one that did Shania Twain (from this moment)
28 & she still looks so young and beautiful
and you're rite,Nana rejected her. angry
Re: West African Idols: Season 1 (2007) by viperman: 9:08am On Feb 22, 2007
Everbright, nana seems to have a problem with beautiful chics.
She forgets their voice when they sing and concentrates,in jealousy, at their beauty grin
Re: West African Idols: Season 1 (2007) by lawyerchap(m): 9:21am On Feb 22, 2007
I think the most hilarious performance was by Chinwendu Onuorah the six-footer sista who looks so much like a model. Her rendition of Cher's 'Strong Enough' had me in stitches. She does sound quite a lot like Cher and she got my full marks for enthusiasm. But the judges got it right when they said no to her. Let's not get mad at Dede Mabiaku. Though i'm doubtful whether he has the musical credentials to sit on that panel, he does bring a certain something to the show. His presence is mildly threatening and sets the contestants ever so slightly on edge, which i think is a good thing cos the Idol will need to be a supremely confident individual. He keeps spouting stuff about 'losing the essence of the value of your voice' which i'm sure sounds extremely knowledgeable to the contestants who only get to hear it once. But for us at home who have to hear it over and over again, after the fifth time it started to look like he was saying it to cover up for a lack of knowledge. Dan Foster is the most unpredictable of the judges, he's given some truly unexpected Yes votes and some shocking NOs. But i guess it all adds to the appeal of the show. Keep watching folks.
Re: West African Idols: Season 1 (2007) by jjuummaaii(f): 9:29am On Feb 22, 2007
yaeh nana is really irritating me cos of her very stupid judgements esp for pretty ladies and she kinda trips 4 fine bobos. her judgements are always baseless and monotonous. "blah blah blah, I'm sorry but i'll say No" thats always how are comment end unlike Dede that always has a diff thin to say for everyone though he sometimes over those it and also gets annowing. I think Dan Foster is just the bomb for now cos his very logical and always tries to encourage the contestants, his judgements are hardly biased.

@ Viperman, i'm sure u kno there lots of jumais in this world and for u to just see my name and just assume u kno me is just too presumptures, well I've not been to lagos in the last 3 yrs and so it could'nt have been me u met at cubes.
Re: West African Idols: Season 1 (2007) by seunwiz: 12:33pm On Feb 22, 2007
hello all,
been watchin d show n most say its quiet hilarious alot of crazy ppl comin to do der "tin" but as for the judges they didnt try guess cos the beta ppl wer too expensive dats why dede,nana n dan was chosen but am ok wit dan but dede n nana are messed up did u see wen they started arguin cos of dat sick lookin dude she said she was feelin damn!
dede is just an igbo smoker n doesnt know a talent wen he sees one cos of d type of songs he does infact hes not in anyway supos to tell anyone if hes on a rite note or slipin n he likes to impose his judgement on dan and nana.damn i can shoot d bro wen i see him , hate dat dude man.
dan is aight n tryin he talks to d contestants in a cool way dont try to discourage them n all dats good n comin from sum1 dat aint naija dede shld bow his head in shame.
as4 nana, emmm shes ghanian so i'll let dat go cos we all know ghanians dont know wots up n she bera work on her own Diction b4 correcting others.galfriends got a thick lips one onie trice would like fuckin ho' lipsrsealed
Re: West African Idols: Season 1 (2007) by Eastcoast(f): 12:47pm On Feb 22, 2007
the other judges hardly even say anything and itz because of that Dede. He just keeps rambling. He tries to input humor but he never gets it rright. The other judges' body language esp Dan even suggest to me, that they are disguisted and irritated at his behavior.
Re: West African Idols: Season 1 (2007) by mobols: 12:57pm On Feb 22, 2007
ANY BODY!! I repeat ANYBODY who coments on DEDE has an intense low IQ .

DEDE is keeping the show intresting without him westafrican idol will be so boring.And for music>>> he is very very good
Re: West African Idols: Season 1 (2007) by tng(f): 1:07pm On Feb 22, 2007
I have been watching the show and i dont agree with those that say dede is not doing well. i think he is doing a good jod. dan is okay but nana should be replaced if possible.She is so ignorant about music nd hardly says anything meaningful. has beef for pretty girls too.
Re: West African Idols: Season 1 (2007) by viperman: 3:19pm On Feb 22, 2007
Jummai not my fault. Just that i heard she was on nairaland too so i thought you were her.
No probs. smiley

@topic

Dede actually makes it interesting with his funny & rude attitude. truly, without him there the program will be super boring
Re: West African Idols: Season 1 (2007) by Biafrandon(m): 4:08pm On Feb 22, 2007
Dede sucks big time,always full of himself and talking down to guys trying to make it in the music world.As for Dan,he is alright.
Re: West African Idols: Season 1 (2007) by Ani4life(m): 5:50pm On Feb 22, 2007
my wife and i have a laugh watching the auditions!!!!!! the ghanian chic,nana,is really so annoying, i cant stand her much, with her thick shiny upper lip.lol, dede is just another jerk.
but seriuosly,what lara from kush doing there?she's bigger than all this, someone should please whisper it into her ear, lol
Re: West African Idols: Season 1 (2007) by Seun(m): 7:21pm On Feb 22, 2007
Lara from Kush was there? I hope she was accepted? Did she sing well?
Re: West African Idols: Season 1 (2007) by Badman888(m): 8:00pm On Feb 22, 2007
I thot no f musician from a known gropup or so ever are allowed to be on the show.

Seun why didnt you got for the auditions to perform that your nairaland anthem song, lol that would have been a classic cheesy
Re: West African Idols: Season 1 (2007) by imomoh24(m): 9:14pm On Feb 22, 2007
i think the show is doomed to fail.
it will eventually show the world not how bad we are at singing,
but how bad we are at discovering them or in this case, judging them.

Dede is a big joke who was alway lurking behind Fela,he's finally had a chance to
be known(cheap publicity).
Nana, excuse,ever heard of her?
the only thing Dan Foster knows about music, is playing them.
please Dan stick to wat u know.

don't get it twisted most of the contestants are terrible,but heard some voices
that simply were up there. the judges were all just gambling to see who they'll chose.
they might as well draw straws.

it's all a shame as is everthing Nigerian.
Re: West African Idols: Season 1 (2007) by Badman888(m): 9:17pm On Feb 22, 2007
I agree with you i think the judges should have gone trough more training on how to select a contestant, not just by watching all other idol shows.

In the first south african idol simon cowell was there to see how they were doing they need preofessionals to assist them on what they are doing right and wrong. Because the true ones that can sing wont make it. luckily it would get to a stage where is is viewers choice then that makes more sense.
Re: West African Idols: Season 1 (2007) by Temin(m): 12:52am On Feb 23, 2007
Guys
its fun watching the program. Some of their judgment I agree on and some no no no not just good enough . Dede should also learn to be polite.
His words are not so friendly The intent of the program is to help people attain their dream, His words sometime only kill that in those kids and I don't love that
Re: West African Idols: Season 1 (2007) by Seun(m): 9:53am On Feb 23, 2007
Seun why didnt you got for the auditions to perform that your nairaland anthem song
What a great idea! I could have promoted Nairaland by singing that song so awfully. Next year, we shall see. cheesy
Re: West African Idols: Season 1 (2007) by Ani4life(m): 10:01am On Feb 23, 2007
yea,lara from kush auditioned in lagos,she did sing well but the point is she shldntbe there unless the concept behind the idols has changed!!
dede is really rude at times, and the dude can say rubbish at times,my God! but he does add some spice to the show,no doubt
and i agree nana is so boring, "it doesnt werk for me"  and someone should tell her that it aint "I AM ON THE DEFENCE" but "i am sitting on the fence"
men, some folks can sing and others, my GOD! if i was a judge,i'll shout."STOP OR I'LL SHOOT" lol

can't wait to see what the accra auditions was like,
Re: West African Idols: Season 1 (2007) by lawyerchap(m): 11:39am On Feb 23, 2007
Am gonna have to retract my post about Chinwendu Onuorah's rendition of Cher's 'Strong enough' being the most hilarious of the West African idols auditions. Last night i saw some spectacularly bad performances both from the contestants and the judges. There was Emily who delivered a horrific rendition of Avril Lavigne. She sounded like a parrot being sodomized and Nana wasted no time in telling her to give up on her dreams of singing. Though the performance was bad, i also feel that remark was unnecessarily cutting and could cause some serious damage to the young lady's psyche.

then there was six foot five Armstrong who did a song that had the judges cringeing yet he continued lustfully belting out his horrendous tune. When he was mercifully stopped Dede adopted a crying voice and asked him "we quarrel before you come here? you know me before? i know you before? you know my family? i know your family? so why are you punishing us like this? if you destroy my eardrums how will i hear what is happening outside? He rounded off the tongue lashing by remarking that Armstrong's height was the height of his stupidity. Even Dan and Nana visibly flinched when they heard that. As for Armstrong, he left with a promise to the judges that he would destroy as many eardrums as he could with his atrocious singing. That got a good laugh out of the judges and, i imagine, everyone else watching.

Pint sized Kingsley Ogbonna came to do a rendition of Michael Jackson's speechless. I was speechless by the time he was thru. and so were the judges. It was unbelievably bad; you have to see this performance to believe it. Then Nana's mean streak came to the fore. She asked him to perform Billie Jean. Nothing prepared me for what came next. Wild gesticulations, garbled lyrics, comical moves, easily the worst performance of Billie Jean that will ever be seen in public.

Another pint sized diction-challenged contender called Kunle came with a serious attitude and a stunning H-Factor. Listen to him. Nana: Can i help you? Kunle: i heard about the Haidols competition and i came to become Mr Haidols. Dede mercilessly mimicked him and stopped just short of saying 'how many times have i told you to stop hemphasizing hon your h you hignorant hidiot?

Broderick and Ayodele came with original compositions that would probably be hits in Ajegunle but were so funny that i rolled off my settee with laughter. Obviously they both got rejected.

Sylvanus Bulechukwu was born in 1969. At 36 he was way out of the age range for the competition, but Dede allowed him sing just for the record. He was stunning in his performance. Stunningly bad. He delivered an original composition titled 'Money Good.' Duh. There are no words to describe that performance. it seemed to be a cross between spoken word, rap and prayer. there was no element of singing in that mix. there was also no iota of talent. Dede called him an Agbaiya and Dan helpfully translated that for us to mean Old Fool.

but the performance of the night for me was by a Jomo-Gbomo kinsman named Godspower Gentle. He did a remix of the popular Hymn "what shall i render?' But his rendition substituted 'render' with the Urhobo pronounciation 'nender.' That for me was the most hilarious performance. Please people, tell me you saw that performance. After the song he tried to flow waffi lingo with Dede who is from Warri by saying things like 'warri no dey carry last.' In this case warri carry last pieces, my guy.

The judges worst performances of the night were the robberies of beautiful Ezita who sang beautifully but was said to be singing nasally by dede., Palmira Mmerife who was stunning and on whom Dan delivered his most shocking NO to date and Tina who sang better than some people who went thru to Planet 1. Dan also delivered another shocking No to Annette's superb performance, luckily she was saved by Dede and, unbelievably, Nana.
Re: West African Idols: Season 1 (2007) by Seun(m): 11:41am On Feb 23, 2007
Aspiring music producers should rush to the aid of genuinely talented performers who have been rejected. wink
Re: West African Idols: Season 1 (2007) by Ani4life(m): 12:18pm On Feb 23, 2007
LOL, i saw the dude that was mimicking micheal jackson, believe me it was the saddest thingy i have seen in a while, and that was cruel of nana asking him to go on ahead and do that! and the guy from warri,what a laugh! what a laugh! i had a hard time sitting still whilst watching the guy sing, lol
in your opinion,which city has produced the worst audition see so far
Re: West African Idols: Season 1 (2007) by jjuummaaii(f): 1:25pm On Feb 23, 2007
both cities hav there gud n bad sides can't really say the worse for now.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (24) (Reply)

Pasuma Alabi Arabambi Or Saheed Osupa Matagbamole / Opinion : Top Five Nigerian Singles That Attained International Acclaim / Wizkid Joins Justin Bieber On Stage To Perform Essence: PICS & VIDEO

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 63
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.