Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,014 members, 7,806,969 topics. Date: Wednesday, 24 April 2024 at 08:01 AM

West African Idols: Season 1 (2007) - Music/Radio (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Music/Radio / West African Idols: Season 1 (2007) (47593 Views)

Airforce 1 On STV Right Now, Nigerian Idols season V / Pepsi Nigerian Idols / Dare Art Alade On American Idols? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (24) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: West African Idols: Season 1 (2007) by Nobody: 8:57pm On Feb 23, 2007
its been HILARIOUS grin , its the best thing on DSTV RITE NOW

do u know during the day after serious talk the next topic of conversation did u see that guy on IDOLS,

I do agree that dede is a bit caustic but sometimes that's what makes it hilarious.

Cmon , some of those auditions were truly AWFUL shocked i am sure i would be worse if i had to interview thousands of people I would not be polite anymore.
Re: West African Idols: Season 1 (2007) by Cactus(m): 9:15pm On Feb 23, 2007
Can someone hook their tv to their computer and streaming the show online for those not in africa to watch

even if it is recorded that is still something i saw the chick from abuja she was really good

if anybody wants to kindly upload videos onto youtube or stream online

download sopcast from sopcast.org to stream.

I can provide more details i really really wish to watch this stuff. sick of american idol

stynyche or whatever her name is is very good but she needs a little more attitude

the freaking dede guy talks way tooo much. Duct tapes have very many wide range of use i think they need to use it to tape is freaking mouth shut.

the female chick, well she needs to change her make-up its pathetic, shes got big lips. Can anyone calculate the surface area of those lips> please provide a formula. Gracias and using shiny dark coat of lips hew, thats not visually appealing. she needs to take Make-up 101
Re: West African Idols: Season 1 (2007) by LoverBwoy(m): 12:12am On Feb 24, 2007
Are they showing any audition from other west african countires?

that big dude is the only good judge on the show
Re: West African Idols: Season 1 (2007) by Seun(m): 10:08am On Feb 24, 2007
He's Dan Foster, the famous radio DJ based in Lagos. It's funny how they couldn't get others like him. I think Dede is disgracing us, but I think Nana's approach would have been ok if complemented by another judge like Dan.
Re: West African Idols: Season 1 (2007) by ghanaboy(m): 4:13pm On Feb 24, 2007
as4 nana, emmm shes ghanian so i'll let that go because we all know ghanians don't know wots up n she bera work on her own Diction before correcting others.galfriends got a thick lips one onie trice would like fuckin ho'

If you going to criticise a judge do so but don't take a whole nation down.
Ghanaians have always been the pacesetters.
Re: West African Idols: Season 1 (2007) by babadee(m): 11:47pm On Feb 24, 2007
Word up for ghanaboy!
A good panel is made up of the bad guy, good guy and indifferent guy routine so Dede is just doing his thing though he's a bit over enthusiastic at times.
Idols WA is the most hilarious thing on tv of recent, really give it to those peeps who come on air and sound like broken records esp the dude who told Dede after he tried putting him down that he'll wreck more ears!
Re: West African Idols: Season 1 (2007) by LoverBwoy(m): 12:46am On Feb 25, 2007
Re: West African Idols: Season 1 (2007) by Temin(m): 5:27pm On Feb 25, 2007
'I like ya courage , I like your style , and you've got good voice , ,but it didn't just work for me'. Better luck next time I am sure you know who says that
Re: West African Idols: Season 1 (2007) by jjuummaaii(f): 10:17pm On Feb 25, 2007
Temin:

'I like ya courage , I like your style , and you've got good voice , ,but it didn't just work for me'. Better luck next time I am sure you know who says that
Boooorrrrrrriinnnnng.Monotonous, the same thin over n over.  so anoying

Ghana's perfomance was woeful.
'i believe i can Fryyyyyyyy'
Calabar was so dramatic
Fela's wannabe on underpants and dede yarnin rubbish that fela has never come out on pants what a lie. does he think he's the only one that knows Fela. hissss
Re: West African Idols: Season 1 (2007) by Temin(m): 12:37am On Feb 26, 2007
But then the show is giving us somthing to talk on.Hopefully it will make some guys superstar so please let it roll on
Re: West African Idols: Season 1 (2007) by chijewel(f): 12:34pm On Feb 26, 2007
the most annoyin thing about west afican idol is DEDE. why cant he just be himself n he keeps tellin the contestants not to "form". plus he talks too much.
Re: West African Idols: Season 1 (2007) by Seun(m): 3:22pm On Feb 26, 2007
Nana is beginning to develop a mind of her own. Once, she supported a guy that performed a challenging song by R.Kelly, even though Dede and Dan Foster were not impressed. I wish she would do more of that. wink
Re: West African Idols: Season 1 (2007) by uchetobi(f): 4:23pm On Feb 26, 2007
;d
Re: West African Idols: Season 1 (2007) by klex(m): 5:49pm On Feb 26, 2007
After watching the charade going on in the name of WA idols, i have come to the conclusion that the quality of judging is a greater let down than the quality of the contestants. To me, Dede is simply put, an unmitigated disaster!, where does he get off judging other people? what is his claim to fame? what is his musical pedigree? why must he be so foul mouthed and uncouth? is he the best that we have? and he has the audacity to call someone with the determination to be original a disgrace to musicology? wasnt he a loafer in shrine leeching off fela till he was kicked out? Its a crying shame that like in our political life we have once again put our worst foot forward in the competition.

Can anyone tell me if they have discovered any discerning criterion to selection by the judges? because i havent, I hear voices that i think yeah! only for those guys to just shoot them down. Why  must dede come down so hard on young people whose only offence is that they dared to dream? If its not too late, i strongly urge the organisers to kick him off the show ASAP.

My verdict on the other judges. Nana is there to oil her lips and gaze into space while letting dede bully her while Dan Foster just salivates after the pretty girls.
Re: West African Idols: Season 1 (2007) by taopheek(m): 5:59pm On Feb 26, 2007
THE WEST AFRICAN IDOLS IS ON, AND FOR REAL ITS ON
IT HAS AFFORDED MANY YOUTHS OPPORTUNITY TO SHOWCASE THEIR TALENT EVEN THOSE THAT DONT HAVE ANY
THIS IS MY LITTLE XRAY OF THE SHOW SO FAR:
THE JUDGES
DEDE(9JA SIMON) UNBELIEVABLY HARSH AND FRANK, FELA WANNA BE, SELF ACCLAIMED PRO WITHOUT AN ALBUM IN THE MARKET
NANA (BROAD SMILING), GOOD LISTENER WITH PENETRATING LOOKS AND CONSTRUCTIVE CRITICISM WITH A PENCHANT FOR FINE BOYS
DAN (SHOWER IMAGINATION) POLITE, DIPLOMATIC AND ALWAYS MARKET ORIENTED IN HIS JUDGEMENT

CONTESTANT
A LOT OF THE CONTESTANT DIDNT GET THE PURPOSE AND GOAL OF THE COMPETITION
IDOLS IS AN INTERNATIONAL BRAND SEEKING TO PROMOTE MUSIC AMONG YOUTHS AND ULTIMATELY PRODUCE ARTISTE AND RECORDS OF INTERNATIONAL STANDARD, THIS MANY OF THE CONTESTANTS FAILED TO UNDERSTAND
THIS IS MY OWN CATEGORISATION:
1. THE MOST IMPRESSIVE CATEGORY IS THE PHYSICALLY CHALLENGED WITH ABILITIES TO MAKE GREAT MUSIC
2. COMPLETE PACKAGE, THOSE WITH GOOD LOOKS AND OF COURSE BACKED UP WITH GOOD VOICES
3. THE CLOWNS, SOME WERE JUST THERE TO PROVIDE COMIC RELIEVES AND THEY DID IT SO WELL
4. PERFORMER, SOME GUYS JUST KNOW HOW TO DANCE, MOVE AND PERFORM BUT SIMPLY CANT SING
5. DICTION PROBLEM, SOME CAN SING AND HAVE WOT IT TAKE BUT GOT PROBLEM WITH DICTION LIKE PUTTING R WHERE THERE IS NON ETC
6. THE OVER-CONFIDENT, THIS GROUP GUYS WERE JUST TOO CONFIDENT THAT AT THE END OF THE DAY RUN THEMSELVES DOWN
7. WRONG CHOICE OF SONGS, SOME CONTESTANTS COULD SING BUT CHOSE THE WRONG SONGS LIKE GOSPEL AND LOCAL SONGS
8. THE WRONGLY JUDGE, SOME GUYS WERE NOT JUST GIVEN ENOUGH TIME TO GET THEIR RHYTHM OR JUDGED BY THEIR LOOKS

BR
Re: West African Idols: Season 1 (2007) by otolorin(m): 6:35pm On Feb 26, 2007
if i ever decided to go in there - and on gettin dere i met dede's 'foully', large mouthed disrepect - i woldn't mind what the world would say, i'll giv it to him real hard - talk his head stright and he'll never b d sam again

he's just being plain stupid
Re: West African Idols: Season 1 (2007) by Everbright(f): 8:14am On Feb 27, 2007
can sum1 tell me wat's happening in Calabar
wat was dat Akanakwe girl doing dia and she was really laughing at her ignorance and stupidity
And the one that did Greatest Love,where did she get those lyrics from grin
Re: West African Idols: Season 1 (2007) by Seun(m): 9:39am On Feb 27, 2007
I think Dede's trying to play the role of "bad cop" like Simon Cowell, but unfortunately he lacks finesse.
SImon Cowell is a nasty judge, but he expresses himself like someone who knows what he is saying. Unlike Dede.
Re: West African Idols: Season 1 (2007) by LoverBwoy(m): 12:50pm On Feb 27, 2007
Erm simon actually knows what he is saying-well most of the time , he has several groups and artist under his belt! he is an A&R not just some backstage singer or should i say protege that failed to develop grin
Re: West African Idols: Season 1 (2007) by Seun(m): 3:30pm On Feb 27, 2007
I agree with you that, compared to Dede, Simon knows what he's saying. I don't think he knows more than Dan.
Re: West African Idols: Season 1 (2007) by tng(f): 4:52pm On Feb 27, 2007
i agree with klex on this. i dont think the show is going to produce a worthy idol.They have started downsizing them nd all those i thot were good from the first audition have gone home.
Re: West African Idols: Season 1 (2007) by vikiviko(m): 8:20pm On Feb 27, 2007
Please caution and his foul aand vulgar langauage.
How on earth did those 3 fellows be judges.
Re: West African Idols: Season 1 (2007) by Seun(m): 8:48pm On Feb 27, 2007
This was another funny one, though his voice wasn't too bad.

Re: West African Idols: Season 1 (2007) by raphy(m): 9:54pm On Feb 27, 2007
The Theatre Auditions episode on Monday 26 February revealed the Top 24 Idols contestants for 2007!

These individuals went through grueling auditions in their home-towns and are now on their way toward their ultimate dream of stardom.

The next stop is the Group Stage – Stage Three of the Idols process – where the 24 are placed in 4 groups of 6 and for 4 weeks, YOU, the public will decide who goes and who stays.

By the end of 4 weeks we’ll have a Top 10. This group will be the best of the best – courtesy of your votes. These talented individuals will not only receive the best training from top professionals, they will also get the chance to dazzle the continent with their progress on a weekly basis at the biggest Idols platform – The Spectaculars.

Who are the Top 24? Their profiles will be revealed on Wednesday 28 February at 13:00 (CAT)…Watch this space.
Re: West African Idols: Season 1 (2007) by LoverBwoy(m): 1:47am On Feb 28, 2007
Unfortunately i can't watch it BUT i saw this girl called syntyche*, her voice is really really good cheesy

she looks a bit timid though
Re: West African Idols: Season 1 (2007) by Ani4life(m): 9:04am On Feb 28, 2007
ok folks,now i know where the worst auditions have been at, ACCRA, what i saw yesterday almost redefined the concept of tolerance for me.imagine,sitting a nd listening to those ghanian pips doing the worst they could possibly come out with, believe me am being very objective here.accra was just downright horrible, if that nigerian student had auditioned in lagos or abuja, he probably would not have scaled through.its amazing!
Re: West African Idols: Season 1 (2007) by neneterri: 2:22pm On Feb 28, 2007
the idols i feel is going so many people that cant sing wants to
Re: West African Idols: Season 1 (2007) by joeyk: 2:25pm On Feb 28, 2007
tell us what u are trying to do likewise
[color=#990000][/color]
Re: West African Idols: Season 1 (2007) by jjuummaaii(f): 11:05pm On Feb 28, 2007
Accra's audition was just a comic relief and dede had a sweal time makin all them sing R kelly's 'I believe I can fly' he kept makin all those ones that had notin gud to offer to sing it andmost of them could not even do the song some even refused to try cos they they had no idea what it was men i almost laffed my head out. though we had some owful auditions in nija but ghanas own was just too much, haba! is it that they had the least idea of what idols is all about or what
Nana was just so embarrased she couldnt even hide it she also did not find theway dede made a fool of them funny, i just pitied her. Most of the peeps they chose wont have even crossed the line if they had auditioned in nija but they had no choice cos they had to pick pple.
Re: West African Idols: Season 1 (2007) by senetee(m): 9:13am On Mar 01, 2007
Guys, the auditions in Ghana were really hilarious with those terrible attempts by the contestants. One even declined rendering the song ' I believe i can fly' while another believed she could 'fry'.
By the way, it seems 'Greatest love of all' by Whitney Houston is the most auditioned song by female contestants
Wow, generally idols is the number one programme for catching a good laugh after a stressful day.
Re: West African Idols: Season 1 (2007) by profade1(m): 9:36am On Mar 01, 2007
Hi people,

For me an equally good way to wind down after a stressful day is to come to nairaland and read people's comments. ( Love you guys !!)

Anyway, does anyone have the names ( and if possible , pictures) of the 24 singers that moved to the next stage? it will be much appreciated.
Re: West African Idols: Season 1 (2007) by salehm(m): 12:05pm On Mar 01, 2007
[color=#006600][/color][font=Lucida Sans Unicode][/font]  ANYBODY WHO CRITICIZES DEDE DOESN'T KNOW SHIT ! ABOUT MUSIC.AS FAR AS I AM CONCERN HE HAS VERY GOOD UNDERSTANDING OF WHAT HE IS DOING AND  FOR THOSE WHO COME  FOR AUDITIONING WITHOUT UNDERSTANDING THE ESSENCE OF WEST AFRICAN IDOL------- DEDE HAS GOT INTRESTING  ANSWERS TO THEIR  ANNOYING PRESENTATIONS. DINT U  ALL THINK THAT ALL  THOSE BORING  VOICES AND PRESENTATIONS ARE NOT SUPPOSE TO GO SCOT FREE WITHOT BEING GUNNED DOWN BY DEDE

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (24) (Reply)

Opinion : Top Five Nigerian Singles That Attained International Acclaim / Wizkid Joins Justin Bieber On Stage To Perform Essence: PICS & VIDEO / Eedris Abdulkareem Is Battling Kidney Failure Seeks Fans' Prayers

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 44
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.