Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,808 members, 7,802,585 topics. Date: Friday, 19 April 2024 at 04:48 PM

Death In Islam And Proper Burial Techniques Part 2 - Islam for Muslims - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Islam for Muslims / Death In Islam And Proper Burial Techniques Part 2 (7543 Views)

Differences Between Islam And Western Ideology / Death In Islam And Proper Burial Techniques| Part 1 / What's The Proper Punishment For A Muslim Apostate? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Death In Islam And Proper Burial Techniques Part 2 by Nobody: 9:12am On Aug 25, 2016
Salam alaikum brothers and sisters,
Today I will be completing the topic- Death in Islam and proper burial techniques. You can read the first part to the article here https://thatislamictalk..qa/2016/08/death-in-islam-and-proper-burial_25.html

Let us start with how a Muslim can benefit his dying brother.

What should a Muslim do when his brother is dying?

It is recommended/mustahabb a Muslim exhort the dying person to utter the Kalimah or word of faith so that his life will end with that and it will be the last words that he utters. This wasb enjoined by the prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him). Exhorting means teaching and explaining.
It was narrated that Abu Sa’eed al-Khudri (may Allaah be pleased with him) said: the Messenger of Allaah (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) said: “Exhort your dying ones to say Laa ilaaha ill-Allaah.” Narrated by Muslim, 916.

It was also narrated that Mu’aadh ibn Jabal (may Allaah be pleased with him) said: I heard the Messenger of Allaah (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) say: “If a person’s last words are Laa ilaaha ill-Allaah, Paradise will be guaranteed for him.” Narrated by Ahmad, 21529; Abu Dawood, 3116; classed as saheeh by al-Albaani in Irwa’ al-Ghaleel, 687

Another way a Muslim can help his dying brother is reciting surah Yaseen. Although the scholars differed on this, majority of scholars (including the Hanafis, Shaafa’is and Hanbalis) are of the view that it is mustahabb.

Shaykh Ibn ‘Uthaymeen (may Allaah have mercy on him) mentioned in Fataawa Ibn ‘Uthyameen (17/72).
Reciting Soorat Yaa Seen for one who is dying is Sunnah according to many scholars, because the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) said: “Recite Yaa Seen for your dying ones.” But some of the scholars spoke about this hadeeth and said that it is da’eef. According to those who classed it as saheeh, reciting this soorah is Sunnah, and according to those who classed it is da’eef it is not Sunnah. And Allaah knows best. End quote.

I guess that I should mention that when scholars differ, it is up to the individual Muslims to research both sides of the argument and decide on the side he is convinced is more correct. Otherwise, one can follow a safer opinion until the above can be done.

Burial

A Muslim should be buried early and with other Muslims- This is because of the hadeeth of Abu Hurayrah (may Allaah be pleased with him) which he attributed to the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him): ‘Hasten to bury the deceased, for if he was righteous, then you are taking him to something good, and if he was otherwise, then it is an evil of which you are relieving yourselves.” (Narrated by the two Shaykhs (al-Bukhaari and Muslim) – this version was narrated by Muslim, and the authors of the four Sunans. It was classed as saheeh by al-Tirmidhi, Ahmad and al-Bayhaqi from Abu Hurayrah).

They should bury him in the city or country where he died, and not move him elsewhere, because that would contradict the haste in burying that is enjoined in Islam. Hence when a brother of ‘Aa’ishah died in Wadi al-Habashah, and he was moved from the place where he had died, she said, “The only thing that upset me (or grieved me) was that I wished that he had been buried in the place where he died.” (Narrated by al-Bayhaqi with a saheeh isnaad).

It is obligatory to carry the deceased and follow the funeral. This is one of the rights that the dead Muslim has over the Muslims, which will bring great reward and virtue to the one who does it. The Messenger of Allaah (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) said: “Whoever attends the funeral from the house (of the deceased) [according to one report: whoever follows the funeral of a Muslim out of faith and the hope of reward] until the funeral prayer is offered will have one qeeraat, and whoever attends the funeral until the deceased is buried will have two qeeraats.” He was asked, “O Messenger of Allaah, what are the two qeeraats?” He said, “Like two huge mountains.” (Narrated by al-Bukhaari, al-Janaa’iz, 1240).

The funeral prayer is fard kifaayah; if some people do it then the rest are absolved of responsibility, but if all of them fail to do it then all are guilty of sin.

Crying or weeping in a loud voice; following it with incense (bukhoor) etc.; reciting dhikr in a loud voice in front of the coffin as it is being carried, is bid’ah. Qays ibn ‘Abbaad said: “The companions of the Messenger of Allaah (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) used to regard it as makrooh to raise the voice in front of the coffin” – and because it is an imitation of the Christians.

The Sunnah is to put the deceased into the grave from the end, then he should be turned onto his right side in the grave, with his face facing towards the qiblah. The one who puts him into the lahd (niche in the grave) should say, “Bismillaahi wa ‘ala sunnat Rasool-Allaahi or ‘ala millat Rasool-Allaahi (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) (In the name of Allaah and according to the Sunnah of the Messenger of Allaah or according to the religion of the Messenger of Allaah (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him)).” Narrated by al-Tirmidhi, al-Janaa’iz 967; classed as saheeh by al-Albaani in Saheeh Sunan Abi Dawood, 836)

It is mustahabb for those who are at the grave to throw handfuls of earth, three handfuls scooped up in both hands, after the lahd has been sealed. To make the grave a little higher than the ground, approximately a handspan, and not to make it level with the ground,[/i]so that it may be distinguished as a grave and respected, and not subjected to disrespect. It should be made approximately a handspan higher than the ground, and there is nothing wrong with placing a marker such as a stone or something similar, so that others of his family may be buried near him later on. Water should be sprinkled on the grave so that the soil will settle and not fly around.

Prohibitions and innovations

[i]No one should stand by the grave telling the deceased that he will be questioned soon etc., as is the custom among some people.
Rather people should stand at the grave and pray for the deceased to be made steadfast and for forgiveness for him. Those who are present should be told to do this, because of the hadeeth of ‘Uthmaan ibn ‘Affaan (may Allaah be pleased with him), who said: “When the deceased had been buried, the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) would stand by (the grave) and say: ‘Pray for forgiveness for your brother and ask for him to be made steadfast, for even now is he being questioned.’” (narrated by Abu Dawood, al-Janaa’iz, 2804; classed as saheeh by al-Albaani in Saheeh Sunan Abi Dawood, 2758).

Women should not follow the funeral procession, because it was narrated that Umm ‘Atiyah said: “We were forbidden to follow the funeral processions, but not emphatically.” This was narrated by al-Bukhaari and Muslim. It should be noted that women are not forbidden to offer the janaazah prayer, whether it is offered in the mosque, in a house or in a prayer-place. Women used to offer the janaazah prayer with the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) in his mosque and after his lifetime.

It is prohibited to build on graves or to plaster them or to write anything on them, because Jaabir said: “The Messenger of Allaah (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) forbade us to plaster graves with gypsum, to sit on them or to build anything over them.” (Narrated by Muslim, al-Janaa’iz, 1610. According to Abu Dawood, “He forbade us to plaster graves with gypsum, to write on them or to step on them.” (al-Janaa’iz, 3226. Classed as saheeh by al-Albaani in Saheeh Sunan Abi Dawood, 2763)

Reciting the Qur’an at the graveside is an innovation. Although it is proven that the prophet (peace and blessings be upon him) made duaa for the deceased at gravesides, there were no reports about him reciting the Qur’an for the dead or at the graves. This is because it was not practiced during the time of the prophet (peace and blessing of Allah be upon him). One of the duaa’s the prophet (peace and blessing be upon him) said at the graveside is : “Al-salaamu ‘alaykum ahl al-diyaar min al-mu’mineen wa’l-Muslimeen, wa inna in sha Allaah bikum laahiqoon, nas’al Allaaha lana wa lakum al-‘aafiyah (Peace be upon you, O people of the dwellings, believers and Muslims. If Allaah wills we will join you. We ask Allaah to grant us and you safety).”

One-minute silence for the deceased and preaching at the graveside are both innovations. There were no reports that the prophet (peace and blessing be upon him) did such. Shaykh Muhammad ibn Saalih al-‘Uthaymeen, may Allaah preserve him mentioned (on preaching at the grave ):
“I think that this is an innovated bid’ah. No preacher can claim that he loves to preach to people more than the Messenger of Allaah (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) did. It is not reported anywhere that the Messenger of Allaah (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) used to stand up to address the people with a khutbah in the graveyard. All that is mentioned is that one day he came to a grave when the burial had not yet been completed. He sat down, and his companions sat down with him, and he started talking to them about what happens when a person is on his deathbed and after he dies. This is the nearest thing that has been reported, and anyone who stands up to preach to the people after a burial is doing so on the basis of incorrect ijtihaad.

Key points about benefitting the deceased
•Paying up debts- Missed obligatory fasts, zakah, hajj, debts to others.
•Fulfilling the nadhr (vow) of the deceased.
•Prayer for the deceased done by his children are a means of raising his status. The children should ask for Allah’s forgiveness and mercy on the deceased as well as protection from the hellfire.
•Charity (all kinds of charities) may be given on behalf of the deceased and the best of charity is water. Ongoing charity is one of the act a person benefits from after death- so maybe the family can take part in constructing a well or borehole where they give out water as sadaqah. They can even build a tree and whenever anyone or animal takes shade under it, it is counted as sadaqa.
•Hajj and umurah may be performed on behalf of the deceased (after the person has performed his).

Sources
https://islamqa.info/en/14522
https://islamqa.info/en/13543
https://islamqa.info/en/763
https://islamqa.info/en/72201
https://islamqa.info/en/36826
https://islamqa.info/en/81030
https://islamqa.info/en/10373

Culled from https://thatislamictalk..qa/2016/08/death-in-islam-and-proper-burial_25.html

11 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Death In Islam And Proper Burial Techniques Part 2 by Nobody: 9:15am On Aug 25, 2016
Jazakillaah! Meanwhile you said "you can read the first part to the article here" but we didnt see any link....
Re: Death In Islam And Proper Burial Techniques Part 2 by Nobody: 9:15am On Aug 25, 2016
I should also add that dead people cannot hear the living.

2 Likes

Re: Death In Islam And Proper Burial Techniques Part 2 by Nobody: 9:17am On Aug 25, 2016
lexiconkabir:
Jazakillaah! Meanwhile you said "you can read the first article here" but we didnt see any link....

Added the link.
Meanwhile I wanted to be ftc.
Re: Death In Islam And Proper Burial Techniques Part 2 by Nobody: 9:19am On Aug 25, 2016
Contact17:

Added the link.

Ok, I've seen it

Meanwhile I wanted to be ftc.

Pele.
Re: Death In Islam And Proper Burial Techniques Part 2 by Nobody: 9:20am On Aug 25, 2016
lexiconkabir:

Ok, I've seen it

Pele.

tongue
Re: Death In Islam And Proper Burial Techniques Part 2 by Nobody: 9:21am On Aug 25, 2016
Cc: carinmom
Re: Death In Islam And Proper Burial Techniques Part 2 by AideeSheks(m): 10:05am On Aug 25, 2016
Jazakillahu khairan. Really appreciate you for taking time to make these write-ups. I've definitely found a lot of enlightenment in them

1 Like

Re: Death In Islam And Proper Burial Techniques Part 2 by carinmom(f): 10:37am On Aug 25, 2016
lexiconkabir:

Thanks, I'm really touched by this thread.

May Allah forgive our sins cry cry cry

2 Likes

Re: Death In Islam And Proper Burial Techniques Part 2 by Nobody: 10:40am On Aug 25, 2016
carinmom:

Thanks, I'm really touched by this thread.

You welcome...

May Allah forgive our sins

Ameena

smiley smiley smiley

Try that instead.
Re: Death In Islam And Proper Burial Techniques Part 2 by carinmom(f): 10:54am On Aug 25, 2016
lexiconkabir:

You welcome...

Ameena

Try that instead.

No way, I'm still in mourning cry cry cry
Re: Death In Islam And Proper Burial Techniques Part 2 by Nobody: 11:01am On Aug 25, 2016
carinmom:

No way, I'm still in mourning cry cry cry

Mourning do not mean you can't smile...common try it, it makes you feel better .

3 Likes

Re: Death In Islam And Proper Burial Techniques Part 2 by carinmom(f): 1:08pm On Aug 25, 2016
lexiconkabir:

Mourning do not mean you can't smile...common try it, it makes you feel better .

You just won't understand cry, but i know as a muslim i just have to take heart and smile as you've suggested.

Thanks smiley
Re: Death In Islam And Proper Burial Techniques Part 2 by Nobody: 1:17pm On Aug 25, 2016
carinmom:

You just won't understand cry, but i know as a muslim i just have to take heart and smile as you've suggested.

Believe me, i do, i lost my grandma last year, i dont know who i love more, my grandma or my mum, so you could imagine the pains i felt, but i had to move on, infact thinking of it now makes me sad, but you just have to move on, what should be a matter of concern to you is..

1.) His/her jannah

2.) praying constantly for the deceased..

Thanks smiley

I hope its not a fake smile? wink – lol.

2 Likes

Re: Death In Islam And Proper Burial Techniques Part 2 by carinmom(f): 2:16pm On Aug 25, 2016
lexiconkabir:

Believe me, i do, i lost my grandma last year, i dont know who i love more, my grandma or my mum, so you could imagine the pains i felt, but i had to move on, infact thinking of it now makes me sad, but you just have to move on, what should be a matter of concern to you is..

1.) His/her jannah

2.) praying constantly for the deceased..

I hope its not a fake smile? wink – lol.

He was my brother,

The smile isn't fake, you know i have to for the sake of my condition.
Re: Death In Islam And Proper Burial Techniques Part 2 by Nobody: 2:25pm On Aug 25, 2016
carinmom:

He was my brother,

Ohhh... May Allaah grant him jannah firdaus

The smile isn't fake, you know i have to for the sake of my condition.

Good, wish you a safe delivery by the permission of Allaah.

2 Likes

Re: Death In Islam And Proper Burial Techniques Part 2 by carinmom(f): 4:29pm On Aug 25, 2016
lexiconkabir:

Ohhh... May Allaah grant him jannah firdaus

Good, wish you a safe delivery by the permission of Allaah.

AMEEEEEEN.

I'm also sorry about your grandma, may Allah forgive her sins and grant her aljanna Firdausi.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Death In Islam And Proper Burial Techniques Part 2 by udatso: 9:05pm On Sep 01, 2016
Jazakillahu khairan

1 Like

Re: Death In Islam And Proper Burial Techniques Part 2 by carinmom(f): 4:55am On Sep 03, 2016
lexiconkabir:

Alhamdulillah, join me and my family to thank Allah SWT, I've been delivered of a baby girl on the 2nd via C-Section.

Thanks for all your prayers @Lexiconkabir and Demmzy15.

7 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Death In Islam And Proper Burial Techniques Part 2 by Demmzy15(m): 6:18am On Sep 03, 2016
carinmom:

Alhamdulillah, join me and my family to thank Allah SWT, I've been delivered of a baby girl on the 2nd via C-Section.

Ahhhh!!!!! Alhamdullahi, Allaah u Akbar!!! I'm very happy for you my dear sister, hope it wasn't too stressful? May Allaah ease your pain Insha'Allah!

May Allaah protect her, may she be successful in this life and hereafter. She'll bring goodness to your family and the world as a whole. May Allaah preserve you my dear sister!!! grin cheesy

4 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Death In Islam And Proper Burial Techniques Part 2 by carinmom(f): 6:41am On Sep 03, 2016
Demmzy15:
Ahhhh!!!!! Alhamdullahi, Allaah u Akbar!!! I'm very happy for you my dear sister, hope it wasn't too stressful? May Allaah ease your pain Insha'Allah!

May Allaah protect her, may she be successful in this life and hereafter. She'll bring goodness to your family and the world as a whole. May Allaah preserve you my dear sister!!! grin cheesy

Thanks ya akhi.
I won't say that it wasn't entirely stressful but i thank Allah for making it easier for me.
Your Sis and i are doing great.
Jazakallah for all your support through prayers though out the 9months journey.

3 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Death In Islam And Proper Burial Techniques Part 2 by Nobody: 7:41am On Sep 03, 2016
Demmzy15:

Ameen to your prayers.

2 Likes

Re: Death In Islam And Proper Burial Techniques Part 2 by Nobody: 8:38am On Sep 03, 2016
carinmom:

Allaahu Akbar!!! smiley Alhamdulillaahi for your safe delivery, it really have made my day! May Allaah make the child be a pious one Ameen!.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Death In Islam And Proper Burial Techniques Part 2 by carinmom(f): 9:00am On Sep 03, 2016
lexiconkabir:

Allaahu Akbar!!! smiley Alhamdulillaahi for your save delivery, it really have made my day! May Allaah make the child be a pious one Ameen!.

Thank you my brother, jazakallah khayran for all your words of support and prayers through out my 9 months journey.

Thanks so much smiley

2 Likes

Re: Death In Islam And Proper Burial Techniques Part 2 by Nobody: 9:04am On Sep 03, 2016
carinmom:

Thank you my brother, jazakallah khayran for all your words of support and prayers through out my 9 months journey.

Thanks so much smiley

Wa ant fa jazakAllaah, pls don't forget about the adhan calling on the right ear and iqaama on the left ear of the child.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Death In Islam And Proper Burial Techniques Part 2 by carinmom(f): 11:02am On Sep 03, 2016
lexiconkabir:

Wa ant fa jazakAllaah, pls don't forget about the adhan calling on the right ear and iqaama on the left ear of the child.

It was done. Thanks

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Death In Islam And Proper Burial Techniques Part 2 by Nobody: 6:33pm On Sep 04, 2016
carinmom:

It was done. Thanks

Hope you good sister? And how is the baby?
Re: Death In Islam And Proper Burial Techniques Part 2 by carinmom(f): 7:09am On Sep 05, 2016
lexiconkabir:

Hope you good sister? And how is the baby?

We are doing great smiley

Thanks.

1 Like

Re: Death In Islam And Proper Burial Techniques Part 2 by Nobody: 7:12am On Sep 05, 2016
carinmom:

We are doing great smiley

Thanks.

Masha Allaah! Hope she is not stressing you much sha?

2 Likes

Re: Death In Islam And Proper Burial Techniques Part 2 by carinmom(f): 2:01pm On Sep 05, 2016
lexiconkabir:

Masha Allaah! Hope she is not stressing you much sha?

Nope she is not especially during the day, but the story always changes in the night.
Re: Death In Islam And Proper Burial Techniques Part 2 by Nobody: 2:04pm On Sep 05, 2016
carinmom:

Nope she is not especially during the day, but the story always changes in the night.

Lol, its normal, you also did that sometimes ago tongue, may Allaah preserve her for you, Ameen.

2 Likes

Re: Death In Islam And Proper Burial Techniques Part 2 by carinmom(f): 2:13pm On Sep 05, 2016
lexiconkabir:

Lol, its normal, you also did that sometimes ago tongue, may Allaah preserve her for you, Ameen.

Yes, i know its perfectly normal because at such a stage they still think they are in the womb.
Ameen thanks.

1 Like 1 Share

(1) (2) (Reply)

Ruling On Zina ( Fornication / Adultery) In Islam / Have You Paid Your Missed Siyaam (Fastings)? / Ihsaan - The Spiritual Essence Of Islam

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 59
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.