Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,149,902 members, 7,806,636 topics. Date: Tuesday, 23 April 2024 at 07:32 PM

Closed - Car Talk (6) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / Closed (80006 Views)

5 Sounds That Signal Your Car Needs Auto Repairs Immediately / Thread For Volvo Car Owners/lovers / Its A/C Season Again, Lets Share Problems And Solutions (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (22) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Closed by ColeworldMD(m): 5:18pm On Oct 12, 2016
Sir Gazzuzz I hail. Thanks for all the numerous times I've called u for help but u neva complained n tried to help as much as u could despite ur busy schedule. Gratitude!
With ur extensive knowledge in this topic, btw air filter, coolant & refrigerant can pls explain whc one is more critical in the cooling system. And possibly arranged them in order of importance in cooling. Thanks, I've learnt a lot
Re: Closed by GAZZUZZ(m): 8:09pm On Oct 12, 2016
ColeworldMD:
Sir Gazzuzz I hail. Thanks for all the numerous times I've called u for help but u neva complained n tried to help as much as u could despite ur busy schedule. Gratitude!
With ur extensive knowledge in this topic, btw air filter, coolant & refrigerant can pls explain whc one is more critical in the cooling system. And possibly arranged them in order of importance in cooling. Thanks, I've learnt a lot

sorry I do not understand the question.

The coolant is for the radiator, designed to keep the engine within a specified temperature. If the temperature of the coolant exceededs the normal limits, it will cause the condenser temp to rise, this in turn will raise the pressure on the high side so much that the pressure sensor will send a signal to the a.c electronic unit to shut down power to the compressor clutch mechanism.

Meaning if coolant temp is too high a.c will not function.

Refrigerant. If refrigerant is too low, a.c will not function, if it is too much, there will be a build up of pressure on the high side and a.c will stop working, where it is forced to work, pipes and O rings will rupture, compressors will get damaged.

Cabin filters are designed to keep dirt out of the evaporator system, when the evaporator is clogged, it will restrict the movement of air thru it.

2 Likes

Re: Closed by ColeworldMD(m): 10:25pm On Oct 12, 2016
GAZZUZZ:

sorry I do not understand the question.

okay. Your explanation is on point. But I noticed that coolant is replaced by water sometimes but still no overheating. Does that mean water is enough? Thanks
Re: Closed by GAZZUZZ(m): 6:27am On Oct 13, 2016
ColeworldMD:
okay. Your explanation is on point. But I noticed that coolant is replaced by water sometimes but still no overheating. Does that mean water is enough? Thanks

coolant does not boil at 100 degrees Celsius, coolant does not corrode or cause calcification, coolant lubricates the water pump. Water does the opposite.

1 Like

Re: Closed by ironheart(m): 11:02am On Oct 13, 2016
Like to recharge my avensis 2000 model ac to acertain the level of leak. My mentor GAZZUZZ, how many grams of r134a do i need?
Re: Closed by GAZZUZZ(m): 11:08am On Oct 13, 2016
ironheart:
Like to recharge my avensis 2000 model ac to acertain the level of leak. My mentor GAZZUZZ, how many grams of r134a do i need?

you are going to discharge after finding the leak? If yes a 340g can should suffice.
Re: Closed by Alvinrich: 2:46pm On Oct 13, 2016
Oga GAZZUZZ, pls how much is d compressor for 2008 Honda Accord I4 engine. My AC technician said d compressor coil is bad and suggested a new compressor. Thanks.
Re: Closed by GAZZUZZ(m): 3:42pm On Oct 13, 2016
Alvinrich:
Oga GAZZUZZ, pls how much is d compressor for 2008 Honda Accord I4 engine. My AC technician said d[b] compressor coil is bad[/b] and suggested a new compressor. Thanks.

If he is sure it is the compressor coil, replace the compressor coil. It should cost less than 5k
Re: Closed by Alvinrich: 4:41pm On Oct 13, 2016
GAZZUZZ:

If he is sure it is the compressor coil, replace the compressor coil. It should cost less than 5k

Thanks for the information Oga GAZZUZZ. The technician made it look like as if the coil can't be repaired. May be the guy wants to rip me off. Thanks again.
Re: Closed by ironheart(m): 7:07pm On Oct 13, 2016
GAZZUZZ:

you are going to discharge after finding the leak? If yes a 340g can should suffice.
thank you boss. I want to check how long it will take to leak. So i am pulling a vacuum right now.

Re: Closed by GAZZUZZ(m): 7:56pm On Oct 13, 2016
ironheart:
thank you boss. I want to check how long it will take to leak. So i am pulling a vacuum right now.

lovely. How strong is your vacuum? How much can it pull in -psi?
Re: Closed by ironheart(m): 8:25pm On Oct 13, 2016
GAZZUZZ:

lovely. How strong is your vacuum? How much can it pull in -psi?
i actually dont know but i held it at -30 psi for 40 min. Closed the high pressure port. Finally put in a can of 340gm r134a to break the vacuum. Started the car n the compressor came to life. Empty the whoke content into the system. Though had a small mistake n a leak around the manifold connection. I tightened it. Finished n unhook the connector. The air-conditioning system works great. Will study it for a while to know how long it will take to leak. But from my vacuum, i didnt detect any leak.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Closed by ironheart(m): 8:32pm On Oct 13, 2016
Alvinrich:

Thanks for the information Oga GAZZUZZ. The technician made it look like as if the coil can't be repaired. May be the guy wants to rip me off. Thanks again.
go through this thread n it would help do a good maintenance job for yourself without a technician. Some AC magnetic coil will not engage without some level of gas in it. Try testing the compressor yourself or take it to oga GAZ workshop for proper diagnostic n repair.

1 Like

Re: Closed by fabiomatic(m): 10:26pm On Oct 13, 2016
Clairvoyant:
I have refilled my AC gas more than 10 times this year, and each time it lasts for about 3weeks then starts blowing hot air...
and each time before refill the technicians check for leaks but can't find any... pls help.. what's wrong
tell him to check or refill your compressor oil. The gas is not leaking but drying up due to low or no oil in the compressor

2 Likes

Re: Closed by samilo88(m): 5:13am On Oct 20, 2016
Oga Gazuzz and the experts in the house I greet u. Please my car vibrates seriously when I put on my AC.pls what might be the cause. My mechanic says it's my engine siting that's not properly tightened. But I have this feeling that d vibration might be as a result of a worn out part in d ac components cos d car drives smoothly without vibrating.
Re: Closed by GAZZUZZ(m): 8:03am On Oct 20, 2016
samilo88:
Oga Gazuzz and the experts in the house I greet u. Please my car vibrates seriously when I put on my AC.pls what might be the cause. My mechanic says it's my engine siting that's not properly tightened. But I have this feeling that d vibration might be as a result of a worn out part in d ac components cos d car drives smoothly without vibrating.

what car do you drive? Engine type, year of production.
Re: Closed by samilo88(m): 9:06pm On Oct 20, 2016
GAZZUZZ:

what car do you drive? Engine type, year of production.
It's a Honda accord 03 v4 engine
Re: Closed by GAZZUZZ(m): 11:35pm On Oct 20, 2016
samilo88:
samilo88:

It's a Honda accord 03 v4 engine

It could 1 or more faulty engine mounts, or low idle speed, or both.

Your mechanic might be right
Re: Closed by adanny01(m): 12:42am On Oct 21, 2016
samilo88:

I also drive the same car. I have been experiencing this since I changed all engine mounts. I have read there is a TSB with regards to that which required updating the ECU.

I gave up after that.

The only help I got which reduced it was to losen the main bolts for the 3 mounts, front, rear and left (passenger side). Start the engine, engage R gear for a few seconds then D for few secs repeatedly with AC on. Repeat the sequence 3 times and return gear to park then torque back the bolts. In the pic below bolt 15 and the two bolt 17 is what talking about. The rear one is the most difficult to access.

This eliminates any bad mount sitting position.

Don't forget that the front mount is a vacuum actuated hydraulic mount which is controlled by engine vacuum through ECU, this Mount has to be OEM to function properly. Most mechanics block the vacuum pipe to the front engine mount. I also got a serious relieve when i changed the valve cover gasket which increased the engine vacuum reducing leakage of both vacuum and engine oil.

Lastly, source of vibration could be bad bushings of the subframe or loose subframe bolts.

Re: Closed by omogidi234(m): 10:21am On Oct 21, 2016
Morning Op, thanks for this cool thread.

I have a toyota camry. The A/C has been good until recently. Once I put on the A/C through the knob, the A/C button comes on with a green light and starts working, but sooner, the green light starts blinking and the compressor cuts off. I have been advised to run the wire to the Knob or change the A/C button totally. Please advise. Many thanks.
Re: Closed by Nobody: 11:03am On Oct 21, 2016
Oga Thank you for this educative and informative thread.
My question...
is it true that Cheb freon r134 can damage ac compressor?
Our ac mechanic here normally collect 3500 for the so call 2kg r134 they are against buying good cheb freon r134 for 1k
Re: Closed by GAZZUZZ(m): 10:52pm On Oct 21, 2016
omogidi234:

Morning Op, thanks for this cool thread.

I have a toyota camry. The A/C has been good until recently. Once I put on the A/C through the knob, the A/C button comes on with a green light and starts working, but sooner, the green light starts blinking and the compressor cuts off. I have been advised to run the wire to the Knob or change the A/C button totally. Please advise. Many thanks.

Blinking is an error signal, it could mean low compression from the compressor, lack of torque from engine, faulty pressure switch...... and so on. do not connect any funny wires, take vehicle to a technician that can explain what the blink is.
Re: Closed by GAZZUZZ(m): 10:53pm On Oct 21, 2016
Eco2580:
Oga Thank you for this educative and informative thread.
My question...
is it true that Cheb freon r134 can damage ac compressor?
Our ac mechanic here normally collect 3500 for the so call 2kg r134 they are against buying good cheb freon r134 for 1k

Cheb is very good refrigerant, use the right amount.
Re: Closed by samilo88(m): 11:49pm On Oct 21, 2016
GAZZUZZ:

It could 1 or more faulty engine mounts, or low idle speed, or both.

Your mechanic might be right
Tnx boss.. I was able to reduce the car vibration by tightening the engine mount. My ac works fine with minimal vibration but it blows cold and hot air intermittently. What might be the cause as I have tried all the ac settings to no avail.
Re: Closed by Nobody: 2:42pm On Oct 22, 2016
GAZZUZZ:

Cheb is very good refrigerant, use the right amount.
Thank your Sir.
Iam currently in a location where there is no right equipment to determine the right amount.
Would 2 cans of cheb be ok for accord 2003 2.4 ivtec?
Re: Closed by Nobody: 6:26pm On Oct 22, 2016
hmmmm.i have patiently read all the notes on this topic.i am very impresssed.u are doing a wonderful job.but am also afraid too ooo.i will like to bring my car(bad condenser and bad compressor honda accord 2005).but seeing all this ur gadgets. my mind is always telling me"u want go kill urself abi,in dis recession.the guy na professional and he will be very expensive for an ordinary civil servant". pls keep the good work.pls post ur whatapp link.i will join and pray one day i will bring my car for repair.for now the car dey home det rest
Re: Closed by GAZZUZZ(m): 8:47pm On Oct 22, 2016
Eco2580:

Thank your Sir.
Iam currently in a location where there is no right equipment to determine the right amount.
Would 2 cans of cheb be ok for accord 2003 2.4 ivtec?

Last week I experimented on the actual weight of cheb refrigerant the displayed gross[/b]weight on the small can is 390g. I weighed it on a scale a it weighed 372g I weighed another and it was same. Next thing I did was weigh an empty cheb can, it weighed 120g meaning the [b]net weight of the actual product is 252g armed with that info using a recharge chart you can select the proper quantity of refrigerant to use. I'm not with the values in my head, but I'm sure it's more than 400g and less than 650g so do cans will suffice.

Always use a chart and a scale when refiling.
Re: Closed by adanny01(m): 9:09pm On Oct 22, 2016
GAZZUZZ:

Last week I experimented on the actual weight of cheb refrigerant the displayed gross[/b]weight on the small can is 390g. I weighed it on a scale a it weighed 372g I weighed another and it was same. Next thing I did was weigh an empty cheb can, it weighed 120g meaning the [b]net weight of the actual product is 252g armed with that info using a recharge chart you can select the proper quantity of refrigerant to use. I'm not with the values in my head, but I'm sure it's more than 400g and less than 650g so do cans will suffice.

I think the service manual for EOD says 538g if I remember well.

1 Like

Re: Closed by ColeworldMD(m): 9:28pm On Oct 22, 2016
Well done chief Gazzuzz.
What does the psi of the A/c system mean & In what scenario does one need to measure the psi of the A/c system?
I recently refilled my refrigerant, my mech just emptied 2 cans of snow refrigerant. Is that good enough? Is snow a good brand? What will happen if it's under/over charged.
The car is winter chilled tho.
Re: Closed by GAZZUZZ(m): 9:47pm On Oct 22, 2016
ColeworldMD:
Well done chief Gazzuzz.
What does the psi of the A/c system mean & In what scenario does one need to measure the psi of the A/c system?
I recently refilled my refrigerant, my mech just emptied 2 cans of snow refrigerant. Is that good enough? Is snow a good brand? What will happen if it's under/over charged.
The car is winter chilled tho.

When recharging and during diagnosis.
Re: Closed by Nobody: 10:19pm On Oct 22, 2016
GAZZUZZ:

Thanks a lot & God bless
Re: Closed by danberg: 7:07pm On Oct 24, 2016
Thanks for the good work you're doing here OP. I drive a good ol' Camry v6 (orobo) and recently changed the dryer and compressor after refilling and it wasn't working (not been used in ages). Well, it's working now trouble is, it only chills in cool weather. When its hot weather, it simply blows slightly cool air. The cool/warm control knob is stuck and won't budge(don't know if it's the problem)

I have used the services of 3 different A/C techs and their verdicts were the same: No problems with your A/C.

However, you'll need a hand fan if you use it in hot weather.

Can you help?

Thanks in advance

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (22) (Reply)

Innoson Replies @chaniee_bob, Lady Who Made Designs With Farouq's New Logo / Weird Toyota Camry Spotted In Edo State (Photos) / Innoson Not Using Farouq Osuolale's New Logo Now. Gives Reasons

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 52
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.