Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,149,755 members, 7,806,072 topics. Date: Tuesday, 23 April 2024 at 11:01 AM

Lawyer condemns new Lagos law legalising ‘foundation fee’ - Properties (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Properties / Lawyer condemns new Lagos law legalising ‘foundation fee’ (18920 Views)

Your Interest New Lagos. Live Like A King, Enjoy Huge Returns / Female Lawyer Set To Sue NEPA For Cutting The Whole Flat, Cos 1 Person Refused P / New Lagos Property Law Forbids Omoniles From Demanding Frivolous Fees (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Lawyer condemns new Lagos law legalising ‘foundation fee’ by applause55: 8:45am On Aug 26, 2016
I think the writer of this story is a lawyer, he should just help we common man and take the case to court just the way one lawyer did when FRSC made it mandatory for every car owner to get the new number plate and the case was in favour of all Nigerian, so please help us do the needful by taken the case to court God will help you, and thanks for bringing this story out.
Re: Lawyer condemns new Lagos law legalising ‘foundation fee’ by shellman: 8:51am On Aug 26, 2016
Badgers14:
So they have finally legalised " omonile"
That means Gov.Ambode gave you Freedom with Right hand and collected it back with the Left hand. What an ambiguity!
Re: Lawyer condemns new Lagos law legalising ‘foundation fee’ by waldigit: 8:59am On Aug 26, 2016
Amusaopeyemi:

OPMESA won't guard your house forever na. Omo Oniles are necessary evil. The best solution is to just bargain with them.
Bargaining worked in pre law days. It won't work again now that their actions has been legalized
Re: Lawyer condemns new Lagos law legalising ‘foundation fee’ by Nobody: 9:17am On Aug 26, 2016
Criminals supporting criminality!..i thought this dumb govt meant well but i was wrong! Corruption re-defined!
Re: Lawyer condemns new Lagos law legalising ‘foundation fee’ by EOOJ(m): 9:17am On Aug 26, 2016
What a country!!!!!! Its really a shame if u ask me. Foundation fee After buying the land Then the govt shud just come n collect eating fee after i buy food. Shame
Re: Lawyer condemns new Lagos law legalising ‘foundation fee’ by neocortex: 9:37am On Aug 26, 2016
sobmos:
Look at it from another angle... It's a welcome development, legalizing the so called "foundation fee" is an act devised by the Lagos state government to curb the incessant troubles by the land grabbers (omo onile)... Once you pay your foundation fee that's the end of the story, if after paying your foundation fee and you're still troubled by the omo oniles, that makes it illegal,and you can sue them in court.... If you live in ikorodu you'll understand what I'm saying, the omo oniles are the general overlords in ikorodu, after paying for a piece of land , the omo onile can collect it back and there's nothing you can do about it. People should look at this new law from a different angle, you'll find that it's the lasting solution to this so called omo onile brouhaha.

You can't sue omo-oniles in court, they are touts with no fixed
address, even if you do how long do you think the case will
last ?
Another angle of abuse is that no price is fixed , what stop the seller
from demanding for double the selling fee as foundation fee, after all it
is legal ?

What people don't understand is that those that can be held responsible,
the real sellers, don't go about asking for foundation fee, it is the touts
and thugs who may have no share in the land money that does that.
Re: Lawyer condemns new Lagos law legalising ‘foundation fee’ by Habeyy(m): 9:46am On Aug 26, 2016
sobmos:
Look at it from another angle... It's a welcome development, legalizing the so called "foundation fee" is an act devised by the Lagos state government to curb the incessant troubles by the land grabbers (omo onile)... Once you pay your foundation fee that's the end of the story, if after paying your foundation fee and you're still troubled by the omo oniles, that makes it illegal,and you can sue them in court.... If you live in ikorodu you'll understand what I'm saying, the omo oniles are the general overlords in ikorodu, after paying for a piece of land , the omo onile can collect it back and there's nothing you can do about it. People should look at this new law from a different angle, you'll find that it's the lasting solution to this so called omo onile brouhaha.
what are you saying bro,a democratic elected government legalise absurdity, this so called governors are namby-pambies .They are shame to the doctrine democracy itself
Re: Lawyer condemns new Lagos law legalising ‘foundation fee’ by FBS: 9:57am On Aug 26, 2016
This implementation is just, waaaat?

Why not
A) pay for the land
B) say for instance, 1% of whatever amount paid = foundation fee.
C) Taxable one time payment.

End result

1) You get your land + your peace of mind
2) the "foundation fathers" a.k.a Omoonile are happy
3) The Government get its own share via taxes.

And all parties go home smiling. cheesy
Re: Lawyer condemns new Lagos law legalising ‘foundation fee’ by july66: 10:11am On Aug 26, 2016
hUmaneOne:

http://punchng.com/lawyer-condemns-new-lagos-law-legalising-foundation-fee/

You now have to pay for foundation laying,even after paying for the land??
Lagos Na wah
This levy is collected in most parts of southern Nigeria. After purchasing the land, they will not allow you start foundation works except you pay a levy, which costs between 100k-250k in Benin. Each floor you want to deck is paid for. At roofing stage you make payment. You pay for fencing & pay another amount to drill a borehole in your house & they harass you as if you are in Libya where anything goes because there is no government. This is authorised stealing approved by government. Most governments are afraid to check this act because of possible backlash during election. The individuals terrorise land owners & force them to stop work until their demands are met. In this civilised world?
Re: Lawyer condemns new Lagos law legalising ‘foundation fee’ by DonCortino: 10:16am On Aug 26, 2016
sobmos:

Repeat what u just said slowly and Listen to urself again.
Re: Lawyer condemns new Lagos law legalising ‘foundation fee’ by wacoj(m): 10:37am On Aug 26, 2016
This Lagos state is becoming something else.
That was how this stupid Kosofe Local Govt people
few days back circulated demand notice on the gates and walls of every house
asking the residents to pay for ''TELEVISION and RADIO License'' shocked shocked

Where has it ever been heard that you pay money to the govt to listen to the radio u bought
or to watch television in your house?

I buy my Tv, Subscribe my DSTV or GOTV, buy my fuel to power my gen, then still pay govt to watch it?

Make God punish devil.

1 Like

Re: Lawyer condemns new Lagos law legalising ‘foundation fee’ by Nobody: 11:03am On Aug 26, 2016
Hedonistically:

Nigerians can be pathetic at times. In spite of one's so-called education, he can still reason like a primitive caveman.

I can't believe that anyone in his right senses would identity "a welcome development" in such an uncivilised, exploitative, and idiotic law.

The omo onile extortion racket is an illegality and a blatant crime. Extortion is a crime all over the world. It is the government's duty to stop illegality and arrest criminals. You cannot legalise a crime as a way to stop it under whatever guise. Don't be ridiculous. Na this kind of warped thinking dey make me tire for black people. Condemned to be backward and uncivilised forever.

As bad as it may sound, I actually share your sentiments.

The black man is just ........... I don't get it. Wherever they are it's the same. Whether in the USA, South Africa, Nigeria. The black man seems to be hardwired to be perpetually uncivilised. Perpetually a non-learner, a non-thinker, a person who cannot connect point A and point B.

It baffles me cos I am a Nigerian. But our level of stupidity is mind-boggling. How come the people drafting this so-called 'foundation fee' law couldn't ask the simple questions this great lawyer raised now.

Sometimes I'm tempted to think Nnamdi Kanu might be right after all by calling this entity a ZOO. Cos the kind of things that happen here will never cross the mind of the inhabitants of the wild.

Black man and zuzubility

1 Like

Re: Lawyer condemns new Lagos law legalising ‘foundation fee’ by hUmaneOne: 11:21am On Aug 26, 2016
july66:
This levy is collected in most parts of southern Nigeria. After purchasing the land, they will not allow you start foundation works except you pay a levy, which costs between 100k-250k in Benin. Each floor you want to deck is paid for. At roofing stage you make payment. You pay for fencing & pay another amount to drill a borehole in your house & they harass you as if you are in Libya where anything goes because there is no government. This is authorised stealing approved by government. Most governments are afraid to check this act because of possible backlash during election. The individuals terrorise land owners & force them to stop work until their demands are met. In this civilised world?

The one they call deve..

i swear, the black man is cursed
Re: Lawyer condemns new Lagos law legalising ‘foundation fee’ by linearity: 11:54am On Aug 26, 2016
sobmos:

Nonesense, prior to this; what laws in the books gives the omoniles the rights to collect a land that had been legally sold back?

Prior to this law, you still have the right to take them to court, this law did not give a land buyer more protection, it just legalized the omoniles' trade.

If the omoniles do not have regards to laws and courts, this will not suddenly make them to change their heart and stop collecting roofing fees after collecting foundation fees.
Re: Lawyer condemns new Lagos law legalising ‘foundation fee’ by Ademat7(m): 12:00pm On Aug 26, 2016
why Lagos accept this law;
1. most people are ignorant of d law
2.those who should complain are going to benefit from the #foundation fee payment
3. Kings and Baale should be held responsible for d extortion
4. LASG govt include it for fear of loosing political tug during next election
Re: Lawyer condemns new Lagos law legalising ‘foundation fee’ by olumide4christ: 12:27pm On Aug 26, 2016
This clause in the new law should be repealed and expunged. Why legalizing crime & extortion? LASG claims to maintain law & order through LASTMA, KAI, RRS, etc yet they refuse to maintain law and order in land issues!
We are in God's hands.

What's the solution to this issue if the government does nothing about it?

1. Before paying for any land in Lagos, potential buyers should request to know what the foundation fee would be when they want to commence work on the land. If the fee is realistic after bargaining, the buyer should go out of the way to commit the sellers of the land to a legal agreement enforceable in court that they have accepted the agreed foundation fee & will not backtrack when when the buyer commences work.

2. Go outside of Lagos to some other states to buy land and invest. Landlords and properties owners in other states are making serious money where Omonile issues are less rampant or non-existent. It just requires one to think outside the box.
I for one bought my plot of land in Abuja at a cheap & competitive price & rental prices in a lot of areas there are better than Lagos when compared with costs of land & construction. I took this decision simply to avoid Omonile issues.

Take my advice; thank me later!
Re: Lawyer condemns new Lagos law legalising ‘foundation fee’ by sonnie10: 1:19pm On Aug 26, 2016
The solution is to collect two receipts when buying land from Lagos families. One should be for the land and the other should clearly state that it is the foundation fee. The total amount should not exceed how much you are willing to pay for the land.

Trust those people, they will collect what ever you are willing to pay if you do this first. However, when you pay for land first, they certainly will have an upper hand in the bargain.

1 Like

Re: Lawyer condemns new Lagos law legalising ‘foundation fee’ by MrBONE2(m): 2:36pm On Aug 26, 2016
OkoNDOoBo:

It's none of your business I. Thought u flat-heads said lagos is no Man's land why can't u Igbos organise protest as usual because the lag govt doesn't right to insert omo onile clause because the state belongs to nobodygrincheesy
Bros! grin there is no need for any protest cos we would soon abardon their lands and start building our houses and other structures on trees,rivers and lagoon just as its been done @KiVuKi Land. grin grin
Re: Lawyer condemns new Lagos law legalising ‘foundation fee’ by ogkrakkid(m): 2:50pm On Aug 26, 2016
nextstep:

The trouble is:
1. the law does not say you will pay "foundation fee" only once
2. it also does not say what constitutes this fee. Say you build 3 bungalows, do you pay thrice?
3. they can ask for any amount
4. you'll be lured into paying one price for land, then be compelled to pay double once you're hooked

Of course, this may not be the case today, but I can see how this foundation fee can evolve to be a monster over time

My brother may God Almighty visit u Nd cont to nourish ur brain....u jst took d thots out of my humble head......
Re: Lawyer condemns new Lagos law legalising ‘foundation fee’ by Excuzeme: 10:55pm On Aug 29, 2016
phoneport:
At times I am even afraid of what our government do to us legally, not to talk of what outsiders will do.

This is Jagabans law in action and I see very little thing Ambode can do about it.
Only if Lagosians will stand up and fight this slavery law of exploitation.

Ambode has actually been messing-up nig time, for some time now.
From bad roads (he just sprays black color on some road and erects the biggest signboards ever, claiming he did a road), poor or absent water supply, insecurity and now this agbaaro-law?

You know what, APC has been pushing its luck too far with this UPN/AD evolution, riding on the legacy of mercurial leaders like Awolowo.
But we know that the likes of Tinubu and Ambode has nothing in common with Awolowo or the likes of Bisi Onabanjo. These ones never looted the treasury.

APC will have a shock in the next election.
They would be held responsible for a fringe party like Labour or some other lesser party, springing a surprise win.
We would REJECT APC at the next Polls in Lagos (just forget Agbaje and PDP, same rogues) if they think it is a birthright.

Just let them keeping it up with this type of rubbish law, we would use the Social Media to remind them of their fuckups.

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Prepaid Meter: How Do I Handle This With My Landlord? / Affordable House Plans For Nairalanders / Construction Of Mini Bakery/ Office Space By Rotech77

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 51
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.