Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,612 members, 7,801,783 topics. Date: Thursday, 18 April 2024 at 10:45 PM

My Experience As An Egg Donor - Health (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Health / My Experience As An Egg Donor (36349 Views)

Egg Donor Chronicles: My Experience In A Nigerian Fertility Clinic (with Pics) / Kidney Failure: See Why You Have To Take Garden Egg Leaves. / Egg Donor Services Now Available In Nigeria (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: My Experience As An Egg Donor by onoms4luv(m): 9:50pm On Aug 25, 2016
Still speechless

1 Like

Re: My Experience As An Egg Donor by whys: 9:50pm On Aug 25, 2016
Who is interested in being a surrogate mother, someone needs it

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: My Experience As An Egg Donor by abnur14(m): 9:50pm On Aug 25, 2016
oh God...
Re: My Experience As An Egg Donor by agrovick(m): 9:51pm On Aug 25, 2016
What an interesting read, in order news I wan sell my akamu gringrin
Re: My Experience As An Egg Donor by Gewezzy1(f): 9:53pm On Aug 25, 2016
safarigirl:
if the hymen is intact, she's a virgin
Okay ma
Re: My Experience As An Egg Donor by Nobody: 9:53pm On Aug 25, 2016
The girl narrating this story has no idea how virginity works in spite of all her knowknow.

6 Likes

Re: My Experience As An Egg Donor by Jbryte(m): 9:55pm On Aug 25, 2016
Wetin eye no go see? The hustle is real. Every Nigerians has gotten a story to tell

1 Like 1 Share

Re: My Experience As An Egg Donor by fammo: 9:55pm On Aug 25, 2016
From ur account are u implying that people without education and less privileged will produce inferior eggs and as such should be screened out of the programme? The whole process is meant to be anonymous and dat is probably the reason why they don't ask u much question about ur background. It is a business and people go into business to make profit.

11 Likes

Re: My Experience As An Egg Donor by dotna(m): 9:55pm On Aug 25, 2016
deathcomestoall:
Now, while what I am about to say might be shameful for many because it is shrouded in secrecy, I am not ashamed because, you can never know the extent to what you will do when pushed or pulled to the brink. 99% of the reason why many young Nigerian women donate their egg is for the meagre(yes I said meagre) monetary compensation attached to it. And most of these fertility clinics know that if they do not attach any form of benefit, almost no one would willingly donate.

In the U.S., egg donation can cost as much as 5000 to 10000 dollars. So if you are going to donate, at least you know it's worth the pay. Unlike nigeria who don't pay the donors, they only COMPENSATE and this ranges from 120000 to 150000.

The egg donation process itself starts with an interview by an organization or clinic sourcing for donors for the clinic and then a series of blood tests for genotype, blood group and STDs are carried out after which if you are cleared of any of these, you proceed to the next stage which is to check for lumps in your breast, throat, pain in your lower abdominal region and then a vaginal scan. If you pass all these tests, then you will be given 21 injections which you will inject by yourself for 21 days and during these days, you will visit the clinic for series of vaginal scanning to check if you are producing enough eggs. After the 21 days, you will be given another 6 injections for 6 days after which you are due for the egg collection.
Now I cannot go into details of how the whole process is done because I do not want to make my post too lengthy as the essence of my post is to merely educate and share my story.

Born a synthetic orphan( I have parents who I don’t live with and don't care for me), freshly graduated from the University with a reasonable amount saved during my university days, I had wanted to go into food business but I was unfortunately robbed by my own blood. I have always held the notion that to make money, you must spend money. So with the little money I had left, I started looking for options on what to do, every single one failed. I had applied for more than 619 jobs and still counting, no success. After exhausting all my ideas, I was googling ways to make money and then came a list of six of which one took my interest which was egg donation. I called a couple of fertility clinics and booked an appointment with two. I went to only one of them which is located somewhere in Lagos.

Before making this decision, I thought to myself, why am I doing this, my answer was the money. I had just gotten an American visa and am trying to raise the money for a ticket as everyone reading this knows the situation of the country.

On getting to the clinic, I met a young lady who asked my age, race, education, job and some other things. She explained the process to me and asked if I lived with my parents, I answered yes. And then she proceeded to bullying me that what if my parents saw me injecting myself daily that they would seize the injections. I was displeased with her statement because I had earlier told her I went to a private university. She probably thought I was a spoilt kid who needed quick money. I immediately shut her up and told her I pay the rent and then proceeded to bullying her(I am a very opinionated person). As we were talking, I noticed some other females come into the office. One of them had come for a vaginal scan and wasn’t producing any eggs so the process had to be stopped for her and hence no compensation of any sort not even her transport fare. Just a thank you. Then I started asking questions( my transport there cost nothing less than a thousand a day). I asked her what information of mine would be given to the receiver, she said it would be an anonymous donation. I asked if any complication arises, who will be responsible for my treatment, she said the clinic. I then asked about the procedure itself. I asked what kind of sedative would be used for the egg retrieval process, then she became defensive and said I was a reporter and she won't be continuing the process. I stood up to leave, then she called me back and said she would take a risk with me. I then told her I wasn't a reporter just because I am confident and would ask questions. I proceeded to the clinic lab and did a blood test for my genotype and blood group. Before I left for the lab, she started whining me that 120000 is a lot of money, you can start a business with it. I just looked at her and nodded. I never even asked her how much it was.

Few days later, I was called for a second blood test for STDs, I went for it and also was cleared. Then I was called for a vaginal scan. Before getting there, I thought why am I really doing this. I have had more than 120000, is it really worth risking my own fertility. I would have to sell my eggs for up to 5 times to raise money for my flight. With the current economic situation, this money is almost nothing for the emotional trauma. Another reason why I wanted to do this wasn't for the money alone. I have remained a virgin for a long time and had gotten tired. Being a virgin has impeded me in many ways. I am constantly judged because of it. Every guy I date sees it as a prize. And even if I wanted to lose my virginity and become a prostitute, I didn't want to lose it to the first man that pays me and I don't have a boyfriend who will do it. Aged 18, I tried to lose my virginity but the shock and pain was too much for me to handle. He hadn't even entered, I had already began screaming. I must admit I bled due to the stress placed on the outer walls of my v****a but he never entered.
That was my first and last experience at experimenting with sex. I was happy tho I could claim I was a virgin and not a virgin, no one would know. Another reason is I am an introvert, I don't have any friends neither do I go out to where I can meet people besides I don’t even have the money and I know I am not getting married anytime soon and this is the most fertile years of my life(I am 22) and genuinely if I could help someone become a mother, I would.

On the day of the vaginal scanning, I went to the clinic, was asked a lot of questions after which I waited for a very long time before proceeding to the scanning room. The nurse then told me to get undressed and asked if I was a virgin. I couldn't lie, I said yes and she said they don't take virgins then I said I was a secondary virgin, I tried it years ago even though I knew I was lieing. Then I told her it wasn't an issue, she should call the doctor. The doctor came in brought out a long instrument about 8 inches put a condom on it with lube. I mean this was me here never had sex before, I freaked out. When she tried to put it in, I screamed. I said I couldn't do it. The pain was excruciating. She then put more lube, I still couldn't. It wouldn't enter. The doctor even had to ask if I was raped because of my shock. I thought I lost my hymen years back. In the moment of the pain, I thought all these for a meagre 120000 minus the stress of giving myself 27 needle scars and the emotional trauma I would suffer from it. The doctor then said we could try again. I said no. I could barely walk, I apologized for wasting their time. And dressed up and left. The lady who interviewed me lamented on what would be done about the money they spent on tests for me. Oh please, it's an organization, I'm sure they suffer loses. They should deal with it. I wasn't the first and I wouldn’t be the last.

While in pain in a public transit on my way home, I thought of all the losses I have experienced both financially and emotionally. I mean I started questioning my self if it was really worth it. Yes I want to travel out of the country and give my most fertile years to whoever I can but asides this I had no other genuine reason. The most important tho was the money. I lost my dog because I couldn't pay his veterinary bills. This would have been a better reason for me to have sex with an electronic gadget. I mean I would save my dog by going through this painful process if I could take back the hands of time. I am happy I went through with it to this stage but losing my virginity to a stick or bearing the pain to put a smile on another's face while my own morality is being questioned to me isn't worth it. Now I am not judging anyone who does it. They obviously aren't virgins and are in dire monetary needs so GOOD LUCK.

MY OBSERVATIONS
I stated earlier that when I was being interviewed for the first time, I noticed some other females come into the office. Honestly, only if people knew the kind of people that come to donate their eggs, many people would rather remain childless. Most of these women are stark illiterates. Some have bleached their skin so much. Most of which I noticed are your typical fish and pepper sellers with ridiculous eyebrows. Not to sound condescending, but it is the truth.

Another observation is that these acclaimed CHARITY organizations that source for donors, aren't doing any charity. They are only buying your eggs at a very reduced rate. Many of them don't care how you look or what you are even if you are mentally challenged or unstable. They neither carry out proper tests or interviews for viable donors. As long as you produce eggs for them to sell, you qualify. And I also noticed how the interviewers intimidate the women who are not properly educated. There was a point I even questioned the so called foundation on the kind of women they accept as egg donors. They know most of us are in for the money so they won't even bother asking you too much questions, I mean sarcastically, most people are there to help(for the money obviously).

I failed to mention this, on the day of my vaginal scanning while waiting in the office, a girl my age was being questioned. I was moved by her story. May be she saw how confident I was and was probably trying to speak English but she obviously couldn't hide her naivety. No one asks about your family, they don't even care. You can even lie about your identity. They do not ask for any form of identification. The girl talked about how she lost her parent at 7 and how her uncle gave up on her. She was still in school and needed money. I wonder if she's a virgin like me I mean not to be silly but if I wasn't a virgin, I wouldn't be selling my eggs(it's still a sin to me). I commend her tho for not sleeping about for the money or who knows whether market is not paying well. Ok I'm sorry for that statement but I was moved to tears. Even tho I am a synthetic orphan, I haven't experienced the loss of any family member.

Giving up your eggs is not a quick money making scheme. It is traumatic. Everytime you go for a scan during your injection period, you will be inserted with that 8 inches thing(dunno what to call it) and the retrieval process is even worse, a needle would be inserted into you and can pierce your womb or infect you. You are given antibiotics tho but who e epp. You are just another tool.

MY SUGGESTION

In other to prevent losses on both sides, I would suggest, fertility clinics in Nigeria start paying donors for real and stop exploiting young women so you know the risk is equal the cost. Then no one would have to pull out of the programme as most donors do pull out of the process and huge losses are suffered on both sides because no one gives you transport fare and the injections are very expensive. You are only paid I repeat only paid when they collect your eggs.

MY ADVICE

I wish I could go through with the process but I cannot. I am not judging anyone who does it for whatever reason. Just make sure you read those forms well before appending your signature on it as most are not in your interest incase complications arise.

Do not risk your own fertility for another woman's infertility(no one knows what she did or why she's that way)

Do not think you are selling your eggs. The money is not worth a single egg. If you want to donate, donate with the mind that you are doing it for free because you actually are. May people go with the mindset that they are selling their eggs for 120000. And if you choose to do this process as a source of income, always go to the highest bidder. There are people that pay more than 120000.

I still am looking for a way to get out of this country. I am damn scarred but I won't have sex for money or get money with issues concerning my … To get money by any means is not easy truly. I don't care about being a virgin tho. Infact it means nothing to me but I won't take so much pain for any one. The pain has left and now I'm thinking if I should go back lol.

My goodness . You have a very good lion heart. I pray there are more brave and wise ladies like you. Respect dear.

2 Likes

Re: My Experience As An Egg Donor by linusbnn(m): 9:56pm On Aug 25, 2016
Women!!!
Re: My Experience As An Egg Donor by greggng: 9:56pm On Aug 25, 2016
I don't know you but your story touched me. I wish I ve what it takes to help u and even marry u cos u sound like a nice woman. Many would ve preferred sleeping around to raise money for their travel but you preferred to donate egg tht could help another family. Even though it didn't workout you should be proud of yourself. I am calling on well meaning nairalanders to come to ur aid. I am a beneficiary of the goodies in nairaland. I am gonna pray for a good samaritan to come to ur aid financially. My God will not put u in shame. You re blessed

10 Likes 1 Share

Re: My Experience As An Egg Donor by 4nobody4every1: 9:59pm On Aug 25, 2016
sad
Re: My Experience As An Egg Donor by Generalyemi(m): 9:59pm On Aug 25, 2016
side effects include mental issues at later age n infertility... but they won't tell u that at d clinic

1 Like

Re: My Experience As An Egg Donor by Nobody: 9:59pm On Aug 25, 2016
deathcomestoall:

Do not think you are selling your eggs. The money is not worth a single egg. If you want to donate, donate with the mind that you are doing it for free because you actually are. May people go with the mindset that they are selling their eggs for 120000. And if you choose to do this process as a source of income, always go to the highest bidder. There are people that pay more than 120000.

I still am looking for a way to get out of this country. I am damn scarred but I won't have sex for money or get money with issues concerning my … To get money by any means is not easy truly. I don't care about being a virgin tho. Infact it means nothing to me but I won't take so much pain for any one. The pain has left and now I'm thinking if I should go back lol.

Thanks for sharing your story. I am quite awed by your bravado and candor.

I am curious as to how you got to this stage in your reasoning. You have done a great job of rationalising egg donation, but to me, I still feel it is a business ( yes, business) that's more suited to males because of the low risks involved.

This is Nigeria and we are not the world's best at upholding standards and best practises. Many things can and will go wrong!

Knowing the risky nature of the whole process, I am surprised that the clinics do not have a way of managing pain in would be donors. It seems the only thing which prevented you from cashing in on the "meagre" compensation is the high level of pain that you experienced.

1 Like

Re: My Experience As An Egg Donor by Genea(f): 9:59pm On Aug 25, 2016
It's being broke that caused all these
Many r slaves to money.
Well my lord will provide my needs according to his riches in glory.. .. . Amen

4 Likes

Re: My Experience As An Egg Donor by Gewezzy1(f): 9:59pm On Aug 25, 2016
realmenrealhats:
Are u talking of virginity or you are talking of eggs donation? Your story is suffering from fictional hemorrhagic vesiculopustular eruption. You only insidiously sounded like a puritan. I will not donate a sperm cell to anyone, becos I believe in adoption, but I have no power to conclude for whoever chooses to use an egg donor or whatever alternative means. You said "do not", yet again "if you have to, go with the highest bidder". The sense of your story was that the 120,000 cannot afford your ticket. So even if you had sold your egg, it wouldn't have squared up the money you are searching. Telling the whole world that you won' sell your body for money, are you serious about that?? A biography cannot be written in advance. Try to modify your story to fiction or creative writing.

i wish you well o. May God help you find money travel go US oh. But when you finally reach there, this kind your story no day sell for there oh. May this be the last time you blow such scandalous lies to a general public and not even to anyone.
Word word word tnx

1 Like

Re: My Experience As An Egg Donor by Gewezzy1(f): 10:00pm On Aug 25, 2016
realmenrealhats:
Are u talking of virginity or you are talking of eggs donation? Your story is suffering from fictional hemorrhagic vesiculopustular eruption. You only insidiously sounded like a puritan. I will not donate a sperm cell to anyone, becos I believe in adoption, but I have no power to conclude for whoever chooses to use an egg donor or whatever alternative means. You said "do not", yet again "if you have to, go with the highest bidder". The sense of your story was that the 120,000 cannot afford your ticket. So even if you had sold your egg, it wouldn't have squared up the money you are searching. Telling the whole world that you won' sell your body for money, are you serious about that?? A biography cannot be written in advance. Try to modify your story to fiction or creative writing.

i wish you well o. May God help you find money travel go US oh. But when you finally reach there, this kind your story no day sell for there oh. May this be the last time you blow such scandalous lies to a general public and not even to anyone.
Word word word tnx u summed up my view too.

2 Likes

Re: My Experience As An Egg Donor by QuickLoans(f): 10:00pm On Aug 25, 2016
You went through all these just to get money? Oh what a pity cry

1 Like

Re: My Experience As An Egg Donor by Nobody: 10:01pm On Aug 25, 2016
lemme clarify you one issues here ...
_donating your eggs don't mean you gon be infertile in the future .your eggs can't finish .you gon keep producing em till u reach menopause .
_donating eggs is not jest for anybody on the streets .your -complexion matters
-height
-limb development .such as hands and legs ."those ones with yam legs not allowed hehehehe"
-skull size "those with natural big heads hmm"
_the fear you have developed for sex is out of this world .have u thought of giving birth at all .
_test results are not done in a day .for example ."in the lay mans language .blood needs to settle ...ehen before the serum is tested ."so that drama dem do with your pussy na wash .
_ all instruments inserted into your pussy are not gone injure u .they are mainly for retrieving the eggs .
_and lastly leaving the country is not the best option .baba buhari would settle things soon lol

7 Likes

Re: My Experience As An Egg Donor by Gewezzy1(f): 10:03pm On Aug 25, 2016
succyblinks:
All I saw throughout your writeup was virginity virginity virginity, LoL u really think u are still a virgin niyen? Sorry to burst your bubbles you are only tight but no longer a virgin, LoL you sound as if the vj is one long tunnel you need to dig before seeing the hymen.

For the egg donation, I have nothing to say
My view too, even just the let me put the tip can get you pregnant

2 Likes

Re: My Experience As An Egg Donor by Infoay: 10:05pm On Aug 25, 2016
Hmmmm... What a post!
Re: My Experience As An Egg Donor by Oluwalosheleyi(m): 10:06pm On Aug 25, 2016
@op just chill and relax. if you dont get the money to travel its not the end of the world, my dad got a visa to travel to europe before I was born but he decided not to use it because of my mum and here I am today his only son,a well brought-up son who makes him proud and a potential multi-billioniare.in short everything happens for a reason so dont go through unnecessary pain or humiliation to raise the money.you seem like an industrious and independent lady to me with limitless potentials.just live your life happily and have fun,you will see everything will fall into place.

2 Likes

Re: My Experience As An Egg Donor by miolad20(m): 10:06pm On Aug 25, 2016
Nice write up
Re: My Experience As An Egg Donor by daylae(m): 10:06pm On Aug 25, 2016
All this trauma because you want to travel out of the country. . .if you are not proud of it,then dont go back doing it.

1 Like

Re: My Experience As An Egg Donor by NZAGHA(f): 10:07pm On Aug 25, 2016
Youngetskilz23:
i even thought its chicken egg

cheesy cheesy choi. Ma guy just killed the show grin grin

exacltly the same on ma mind cheesy

1 Like

Re: My Experience As An Egg Donor by claremont(m): 10:07pm On Aug 25, 2016
deathcomestoall:

In the U.S., egg donation can cost as much as 5000 to 10000 dollars. So if you are going to donate, at least you know it's worth the pay. Unlike nigeria who don't pay the donors, they only COMPENSATE and this ranges from 120000 to 150000.

There used to be a certain highbrow private hospital in Victoria Island that paid considerably more than this for egg donation. They also recruited volunteers for surrogacy, paid them between N1M-N1.5M upfront with expenses paid. This was like 7 years ago, I'm not sure if they are still located there.

3 Likes

Re: My Experience As An Egg Donor by Gewezzy1(f): 10:08pm On Aug 25, 2016
The worst part was wn she said "" Do not risk your own fertility for another woman's
infertility(no one knows what she did or why she's that
way)** That is just wrong in all angle, have u not heard of virgins that have child issue's too? Or pple dt av infertility are loose? Awon Jugina of the world. Evn if you would sell your body wd u tell us? Too much info

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: My Experience As An Egg Donor by succyblinks(f): 10:13pm On Aug 25, 2016
Gewezzy1:
My view too, even just the let me put the tip can get you pregnant

She even said "her vagina wall bled" wall ko, ceiling ni, I laugh in Japanese,

See the way she sounded like illiterates are aliens or abnormal people, smh I pray you don't need an egg in future

8 Likes

Re: My Experience As An Egg Donor by Ferya(f): 10:21pm On Aug 25, 2016
Interesting story OP but I will not fail to say that there are certain risks people should not take just to travel out of the country. Please, you need to reconsider your actions now before it will be late. Do you even ask yourself who took the eggs you donated. The kind of family and where the child will be in future. Also, when you get to the US how are you going to survive? My dear, there are so many unemployed people in US. I am sorry to say that at the rate you are going you may end up selling your kidney just to make more money.

My opinion:

I want to inform you that most Airlines use to sell cheap flight tickets(discount) sometimes try that option. You can also acquire some skills and try searching for jobs in small companies. Please, stop selling your eggs for money.
Re: My Experience As An Egg Donor by Scholar01: 10:21pm On Aug 25, 2016
Hmmmm, this one is strong!
Re: My Experience As An Egg Donor by DonPedro21(m): 10:21pm On Aug 25, 2016
Poster your story is very touchy. I will like have a chat with u. inbox me your number - ikeji.pedro@gmail.com
Re: My Experience As An Egg Donor by cliquevibes(m): 10:22pm On Aug 25, 2016
Also have a female friend goin thru d same tin, She wants to donate eggs herself, Big eggs for dat matter(both white and green) garden eggs, she jst looking 4 where 2 sell it......Plz Any suggestions

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

Mortuary Rejects Man’s Corpse After Causing Commotion In Anambra / Snakes Invade Communities In Plateau State, Attacks Many / 3 Major Ingredients Of Energy Drinks And Their Adverse Effects

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 84
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.