Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,149,752 members, 7,806,062 topics. Date: Tuesday, 23 April 2024 at 10:52 AM

Man Who Names Dog Buhari Is Guilty!!- Deputy Speaker, SU - Pets - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Pets / Man Who Names Dog Buhari Is Guilty!!- Deputy Speaker, SU (25273 Views)

Joachim Chinakwe Who Named His Dog "Buhari" - "My Life Is In Danger" / Why I Named My Dog ‘buhari’ — Joe Chinakwe / Trader Arrested For Naming His Dog ‘Buhari’ (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Man Who Names Dog Buhari Is Guilty!!- Deputy Speaker, SU by Edunews: 6:25am On Aug 26, 2016
There is no doubt many persons seem to bring in varying ethnic, religious & emotional sentiments into this, as well as our dislike for president Buhari but, if we set aside these flaws in our eyes, occluding our vision, we might come to appreciate the fact that indeed, a crime was committed.

Having observed the situation from various angles, it has become clear that the Judiciary as well as security officials are looking at the situation and seeing one thing, while the citizens, particularly, those who harbor a natural disdain for the president, are looking at the same situation and yet, seeing a totally different thing.

To some persons, they only see the unlawful sentencing of a man, who has done nothing wrong, but only name his dog what suits him, by a qualified judge, following the tenets of the Law, in a court of competent jurisdiction, without bothering to read the verdict of the case. These set of persons argue that the Defendant in question has committed no crime in naming his dog Buhari, a position which I completely agree with, but, WAS THE MAN SENTENCED FOR NAMING HIS DOG BUHARI??

Now, this is the questions in which majority of persons fail to understand, nor answer. According to the Verdict or the court, The defendant was arraigned for carrying out actions capable of breaching public peace and instigating not just ethnic but also religious and political violence, and this includes but not limited to;
1. The defendant boldly printed on the Body of the dog, the name "Buhari' (where has the name of a dog been written on the dog before)?
2. That the defendant paraded the same dog with name boldly printed, in the Hausa Section of the market. (He did not just leave the dog in his shop but wants it to be seen not just in the market but in the Hausa section)
3. That a certain popular Alhaji Buhari is a trader in this Hausa section of the market.

We might dislike the president and his policies, particularly in the current period as it isn't favorable to Nigerians, a situation which has resulted in increased hardship, but, if you tell me that these actions, as detailed above would not lead to a breach in public peace, breakdown of law and order and culminating in ethnic, religious and political violence, then, it's obvious that you are not seeking for the rule of law.

Ridiculing the president obviously isn't a crime, as it is not yet contained in any part of the constitution, but doing so in a manner capable of breaching peace, in a very large way is a crime.

If you are from the east, and you still disagree that the actions above are capable of breaching public peace, and instigating violence, then let me give you this example.

Imagine that an Hausa/Fulani man, boldly wrote on the body of his dog or ram, the name "NNAMDI KANU or OJUKWU" and paraded same in the Onitsha Main market, or around Upper Iweka or in Ariaria market, Aba. What do you think would be the result??

Traders clapping and laughing for him??
Obviously not.

I might not like the president or his policies, but this is not a matter of scoring political points.
The president did not arrest nor arraign the man, a member of the society complained and the police arrested him, for acting in a manner capable of breaching public peace.
It could have been worse, numerous lives have been lost for acts less than this, and after the lives have been lost, we accuse the police and security operatives of not being able to maintain public peace, when they do, we bring in all forms of political, religious and ethnic sentiments into it.

I agree that a number of wrong judgments and decisions might have been unlawfully passed recently but, this one, THIS ONE, THE MAN IS GUILTY of ACTIONS CAPABLE OF BREACHING PUBLIC PEACE!!.

He is not guilty, nor was he sentenced for naming his dog Buhari. Its always important to read the full story.

if you argue that he should not be sent to prison, I might agree, but, he obviously, needs to be sent to REHAB. At least, that's what is obtained in advanced nations.

P/S: I am not a Buhari nor an APC supporter, but truth has to be said in this case.

God bless you.

- Obasi. D. C. Chinedu
Deputy Speaker,
Students Union
University of Nigeria!

90 Likes 6 Shares

Re: Man Who Names Dog Buhari Is Guilty!!- Deputy Speaker, SU by Almaiga: 6:32am On Aug 26, 2016
Nice one, i Concur.

16 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Man Who Names Dog Buhari Is Guilty!!- Deputy Speaker, SU by midolian(m): 6:37am On Aug 26, 2016
Very reasonable!

If Nigeria has people who reason like this man planted in every region, it ll be a better place.

48 Likes 1 Share

Re: Man Who Names Dog Buhari Is Guilty!!- Deputy Speaker, SU by HtwoOw: 6:42am On Aug 26, 2016
The real dogs with Buhari's signboard on their foreheads will soon invade the tread and tell us how this writeup is wrong

The man was arraigned for disturbing the peace, trying to cause an ethnic riot ,

Instead of getting the erdyot arrested , if the Northerners had killed him for that stupidity , the other erdyots will come to the northerners to retaliate and so on and so forth till it gets out of hand .

I'll just wait here for them to mention me

25 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Man Who Names Dog Buhari Is Guilty!!- Deputy Speaker, SU by babyfaceafrica: 6:44am On Aug 26, 2016
Sense is not common..here is someone with one..butwill his people agree?

34 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Man Who Names Dog Buhari Is Guilty!!- Deputy Speaker, SU by 9jii(m): 6:48am On Aug 26, 2016
If you didn't see any fault in given a dog human's name,
Try giving your Dog your Father's name.

Provocation always leads to violence

58 Likes 5 Shares

Re: Man Who Names Dog Buhari Is Guilty!!- Deputy Speaker, SU by Dayanto: 6:50am On Aug 26, 2016
There is not bad in naming a pet after someone...this have been proven by lawyers...shikinah

8 Likes 1 Share

Re: Man Who Names Dog Buhari Is Guilty!!- Deputy Speaker, SU by joseph1832(m): 6:58am On Aug 26, 2016
I'm not a lawyer neither am I vast in knowledge of how our warped and segmented law works, but from what I read above, that means anybody who blaspheme and insult Islam or the Prophet Mohammed are also guilty. It means they've also committed a crime, which is intention of breaching public peace, cos we know how our Muslim brothers act when it has to do with their religion or their prophet.

If you ask me, I'll say Obasi Chinedu is allowing sentiment to cloud his reasoning. A man should be allowed to name his dog whatever name he choose. I see no reason why I should be angry or feel ridiculed if a man name his dog Joseph, rather I'll be flattered and complimented that the man chose to immortalise me by naming his dog after me, because whether he knows it or not, he inadvently just made me the guardian of his life. grin grin grin

94 Likes 6 Shares

Re: Man Who Names Dog Buhari Is Guilty!!- Deputy Speaker, SU by nedu2000(m): 7:00am On Aug 26, 2016
He is guilty yes but should that result in his incarceration? A warning or/and community service would've been adequate. He is not a felon

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Man Who Names Dog Buhari Is Guilty!!- Deputy Speaker, SU by iamsparrow(m): 7:03am On Aug 26, 2016
ipob or tripob or reipob yoots will still disagree
joseph1832:
I'm not a lawyer neither am I vast in knowledge of how our warped and segmented law works, but from what I read above, that means anybody who blaspheme and insult Islam or the Prophet Mohammed are also guilty. It means they've also committed a crime, which is intention of breaching public peace, cos we know how our Muslim brothers act when it has to do with their religion or their prophet.
If you ask me, I'll say Obasi Chinedu is allowing sentiment to cloud his reasoning. A man should be allowed to name his dog whatever name he choose. I see no reason why I should be angry or feel ridiculed if a man name his dog Joseph, rather I'll be flattered and complimented that the man chose to immortalise me by naming his dog after me, because whether he knows it or not, he inadvently just made me the guardian of his life. grin grin grin

18 Likes 1 Share

Re: Man Who Names Dog Buhari Is Guilty!!- Deputy Speaker, SU by TedBaker(m): 7:08am On Aug 26, 2016
Mem. U re dere
Re: Man Who Names Dog Buhari Is Guilty!!- Deputy Speaker, SU by Alexgeneration(m): 7:32am On Aug 26, 2016
I'm so ashamed with the kind of students we have in our institutions of learning.Why can't our students make research on a particular issue before coming out to disgrace their institutions and lecturers?I'm a student of Abia State Polytechnic and I want to tell that OP that he just showed the world that his institution lacks good lecturers. The man that named his dog Buhari is not guilty of any offence,be it breach of public peace or whatever you call it.Consider the Supreme court's interpretation of section 249(1)(d) of the criminal code cap 29 vol 11 laws of Ogun state of Nigeria in the case between Nelson Ohanyere & 9 VS IGP(1957)SCNLR 213.Check section 39CFRN. Also check section 36(12) CFRN. Students don't argue like touts,we argue with FACTS. #Peace

106 Likes 16 Shares

Re: Man Who Names Dog Buhari Is Guilty!!- Deputy Speaker, SU by kayslimshady(m): 8:42am On Aug 26, 2016
I don't understand why the SUG has decided to speak out on this issue rather than speak on the recent killing In the north ...is killing another man not an offence?
Secondly Why is Buhari comfortable with his arrest by keeping quite over the issue.

13 Likes

Re: Man Who Names Dog Buhari Is Guilty!!- Deputy Speaker, SU by MandingoXXX: 8:46am On Aug 26, 2016
Re: Man Who Names Dog Buhari Is Guilty!!- Deputy Speaker, SU by TippyTop(m): 8:47am On Aug 26, 2016
Imagine that an Hausa/Fulani man, boldly wrote on the body of his dog or ram, the name "NNAMDI KANU or OJUKWU" and paraded same in the Onitsha Main market, or around Upper Iweka or in Ariaria market, Aba. What do you think would be the result?

Why did the writer give Onitsha as an example rather than Ibadan where it happened? Doesn't fit in with the writers narrative abi?
An Hausa man proudly displayed a dog with Jonathan as it's name and nothing happened.
Protesters proudly stoned Jonathan’s convoy and nothing happened but do same to Buratai and the entire Shiites were nearly wiped out.
The truth is that Buhari hates criticism, he sees himself as a demi God.
This man promulgated the infamous decree4 of 1984 to stop people criticising him, he has a violent nature.

33 Likes 1 Share

Re: Man Who Names Dog Buhari Is Guilty!!- Deputy Speaker, SU by abokibuhari: 8:47am On Aug 26, 2016
joseph1832:

you don get sense small shocked

1 Like

Re: Man Who Names Dog Buhari Is Guilty!!- Deputy Speaker, SU by ANewUser: 8:48am On Aug 26, 2016
Deputy speaker of UNN in the same Enugu where Fulani herdsmen are on rampage ? What has he said about the menace of fulani herdsmen there?
If he really wrote this, he should be impeached immediately.

33 Likes

Re: Man Who Names Dog Buhari Is Guilty!!- Deputy Speaker, SU by steppin: 8:48am On Aug 26, 2016
The op na notice MI.

2 Likes

Re: Man Who Names Dog Buhari Is Guilty!!- Deputy Speaker, SU by Nobody: 8:48am On Aug 26, 2016
You are not the law.
Re: Man Who Names Dog Buhari Is Guilty!!- Deputy Speaker, SU by BlackSeptember: 8:48am On Aug 26, 2016
Idiot student that doesn't know he is not supposed to make statement on the case since its in a law court

5 Likes

Re: Man Who Names Dog Buhari Is Guilty!!- Deputy Speaker, SU by MadCow1: 8:49am On Aug 26, 2016
Sentiments aside, that Man is definitely guilty..

All this hullabaloo is just rubbish.

7 Likes

Re: Man Who Names Dog Buhari Is Guilty!!- Deputy Speaker, SU by realborn(m): 8:49am On Aug 26, 2016
With the OP's posit, everyone who diminished Jonathan during his tenure would have all been jailed or the Niger Deltans would have killed them all.

Morally, the Buhari-Dog-Man may be wrong, legally, he is not guilty!

3 Likes

Re: Man Who Names Dog Buhari Is Guilty!!- Deputy Speaker, SU by Emmaoga: 8:49am On Aug 26, 2016
*When I first heard the word PSYCHOLOGY in primary school, I spelt it "Sychology". I didn't know there was a silent' letter "P" before it as in (Psychology).* *When Buhari promised Nigerians ₦45 per litre of fuel during his campaign, I didn't also know there was a silent "1" before it as in (₦145).* We learn every day, don't we?
now dogs are been named buhari.....still learning.

26 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Man Who Names Dog Buhari Is Guilty!!- Deputy Speaker, SU by BlackSeptember: 8:49am On Aug 26, 2016
midolian:
Very reasonable!

If Nigeria has people who reason like this man planted in every region, it ll be a better place.
buhari is a dog

7 Likes

Re: Man Who Names Dog Buhari Is Guilty!!- Deputy Speaker, SU by Beehshorp(m): 8:50am On Aug 26, 2016
Dis is the type of youths dat make me wonder what the future holds indeed for Nigeria.. Zombeism na deadly disease

3 Likes

Re: Man Who Names Dog Buhari Is Guilty!!- Deputy Speaker, SU by kinglekan: 8:50am On Aug 26, 2016
Edunews:
There is no doubt many persons seem to bring in varying ethnic, religious & emotional sentiments into this, as well as our dislike for president Buhari but, if we set aside these flaws in our eyes, occluding our vision, we might come to appreciate the fact that indeed, a crime was committed.

Having observed the situation from various angles, it has become clear that the Judiciary as well as security officials are looking at the situation and seeing one thing, while the citizens, particularly, those who harbor a natural disdain for the president, are looking at the same situation and yet, seeing a totally different thing.

To some persons, they only see the unlawful sentencing of a man, who has done nothing wrong, but only name his dog what suits him, by a qualified judge, following the tenets of the Law, in a court of competent jurisdiction, without bothering to read the verdict of the case. These set of persons argue that the Defendant in question has committed no crime in naming his dog Buhari, a position which I completely agree with, but, WAS THE MAN SENTENCED FOR NAMING HIS DOG BUHARI??

Now, this is the questions in which majority of persons fail to understand, nor answer. According to the Verdict or the court, The defendant was arraigned for carrying out actions capable of breaching public peace and instigating not just ethnic but also religious and political violence, and this includes but not limited to;
1. The defendant boldly printed on the Body of the dog, the name "Buhari' (where has the name of a dog been written on the dog before)?
2. That the defendant paraded the same dog with name boldly printed, in the Hausa Section of the market. (He did not just leave the dog in his shop but wants it to be seen not just in the market but in the Hausa section)
3. That a certain popular Alhaji Buhari is a trader in this Hausa section of the market.

We might dislike the president and his policies, particularly in the current period as it isn't favorable to Nigerians, a situation which has resulted in increased hardship, but, if you tell me that these actions, as detailed above would not lead to a breach in public peace, breakdown of law and order and culminating in ethnic, religious and political violence, then, it's obvious that you are not seeking for the rule of law.

Ridiculing the president obviously isn't a crime, as it is not yet contained in any part of the constitution, but doing so in a manner capable of breaching peace, in a very large way is a crime.

If you are from the east, and you still disagree that the actions above are capable of breaching public peace, and instigating violence, then let me give you this example.

Imagine that an Hausa/Fulani man, boldly wrote on the body of his dog or ram, the name "NNAMDI KANU or OJUKWU" and paraded same in the Onitsha Main market, or around Upper Iweka or in Ariaria market, Aba. What do you think would be the result??

Traders clapping and laughing for him??
Obviously not.

I might not like the president or his policies, but this is not a matter of scoring political points.
The president did not arrest nor arraign the man, a member of the society complained and the police arrested him, for acting in a manner capable of breaching public peace.
It could have been worse, numerous lives have been lost for acts less than this, and after the lives have been lost, we accuse the police and security operatives of not being able to maintain public peace, when they do, we bring in all forms of political, religious and ethnic sentiments into it.

I agree that a number of wrong judgments and decisions might have been unlawfully passed recently but, this one, THIS ONE, THE MAN IS GUILTY of ACTIONS CAPABLE OF BREACHING PUBLIC PEACE!!.

He is not guilty, nor was he sentenced for naming his dog Buhari. Its always important to read the full story.

if you argue that he should not be sent to prison, I might agree, but, he obviously, needs to be sent to REHAB. At least, that's what is obtained in advanced nations.

P/S: I am not a Buhari nor an APC supporter, but truth has to be said in this case.

God bless you.
- Obasi. D. C. Chinedu
Deputy Speaker,
Students Union
University of Nigeria!

Well said!

11 Likes

Re: Man Who Names Dog Buhari Is Guilty!!- Deputy Speaker, SU by CriticMaestro: 8:51am On Aug 26, 2016
Makanem ke ga gon
Re: Man Who Names Dog Buhari Is Guilty!!- Deputy Speaker, SU by damola311: 8:51am On Aug 26, 2016
I remember when they did same to GEJ, writing the name of Jonathan on a goat, was the person arrested or jailed? Don't we have police officer then?

3 Likes

Re: Man Who Names Dog Buhari Is Guilty!!- Deputy Speaker, SU by Qristien: 8:51am On Aug 26, 2016

Enough said about this man already. If una say una wan kill am make body sweet una, make una kill am. If na excuse why them neva repair our roads wen don dabaru... lekwenu gi aja na azu! sad undecided

3 Likes

Re: Man Who Names Dog Buhari Is Guilty!!- Deputy Speaker, SU by Femich18(m): 8:51am On Aug 26, 2016
9jii:
If you didn't see any fault in given a dog human's name,
Try giving your Dog your Father's name.

Provocation always leads to violence
You are very right...The man even wrote the name on the dog and took it to a place dominated by the Hausas.He had a bad motive for his action

10 Likes 1 Share

Re: Man Who Names Dog Buhari Is Guilty!!- Deputy Speaker, SU by ANewUser: 8:51am On Aug 26, 2016
kayslimshady:
I don't understand why the SUG has decided to speak out on this issue rather than speak on the recent killing In the north ...is killing another man not an offence?
Secondly Why is Buhari comfortable with his arrest by keeping quite over the issue.
The idiot did not even speak of the killings right there in Enugu where his school is.
He should be impeached immediately.

2 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

Help, My Dog Is Dying!!! / Dog Saves Owner From Being Attacked In Her House (Video) / Male Horse For Quick Sale... Location Lagos..

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 83
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.