Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,906 members, 7,802,937 topics. Date: Saturday, 20 April 2024 at 04:23 AM

About Coconut And dishes You Can Prepare With Coconut - Food - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Food / About Coconut And dishes You Can Prepare With Coconut (5259 Views)

What Would You Prepare With This Smoked Fish? / Well Packaged Nigerian Dishes.. / What Soup Can You Prepare With N1000 Naira? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

About Coconut And dishes You Can Prepare With Coconut by mhisbliss(f): 11:43am On Aug 26, 2016
This is my first topic in food section, I've been learning alot here as a guest, thats why i decided to share this.

about coconut

COCONUTS, scientifically named Cocos Nucifera, are fruits of the coconut palm that grows in the tropics.
Coconuts are simple dry nut known as fibrous drupe. The name coconut is derived from a Spanish and Portuguese word, Coco meaning monkey's face. Spanish and Portuguese explorers who discovered the coconut believe the round indented markings at its base resembled the face of a monkey.
Coconut has been confirmed to be very useful from its husk, which is used as fuel, to the oil used in cosmetics and margarine; the coconut meat and water is used in preparing delicious meals and snacks.
Coconuts are available all year round and can be stored for about four months at room temperature, which implies that you can go ahead and stock your warehouse with enough to last you this season.
Coconut is highly nutritious and has many health benefits. It contains essential vitamins and the oil is said to be saturated, good for heart conditions.
Coconut can be eaten raw and its water could serve as a refreshing drink. Just as the coconut palm can serve different purposes, similarly the fruit can be used for confectioneries, beverages and other mouth -watering recipes.
Published studies in medical journals show that coconut, in one form or another may provide a wide range of health benefits.
Coconut kills viruses that cause influenza, herpes, measles, hepatitis C, SARS, AIDS, and other illnesses. It kills bacteria that cause ulcers, throat infections, urinary tract infections, gum disease and cavities, pneumonia, gonorrhea and other diseases.
It also kills fungi and yeasts that cause candidiasis, ringworm, athlete's foot, thrush, diaper rash, and other infections.
It helps expel tapeworms, lice, giardia and other parasites. It provides a nutritional source of quick energy. Coconut boosts energy and endurance, enhancing physical and athletic performance. It also improves digestion and absorption of other nutrients, vitamins, minerals, and amino acids.

Re: About Coconut And dishes You Can Prepare With Coconut by mhisbliss(f): 11:46am On Aug 26, 2016
COCONUT RICE
Recipe for five servings
REQUIREMENTS
- 1 medium size coconut
- 3 cups rice
- 1 big size onion
- 500g meat, washed, seasoned and cooked
- 5 green peppers, chopped
- 1 small tin tomato paste
- 2 tablespoons margarine
- 40ml groundnut oil
- 4 fresh tomatoes
- 1 can sweet corn
- 1 can green pea
- salt and seasonings to taste
What you do
Break coconut, remove from shell and scrape away the brown outer skin. Cut coconut into small chunks and blend with water.
Thereafter, strain and sieve. Add extracted coconut liquid to pepper, onion and tomato paste. Add salt and other available seasoning to taste and bring to boil.
Wash, add rice and cook until soft. Check at intervals to adjust seasoning and water if need be.
Fry meat and garnish with tomato sauce. Serve with chilled orange juice.

3 Likes 2 Shares

Re: About Coconut And dishes You Can Prepare With Coconut by mhisbliss(f): 11:47am On Aug 26, 2016
COCONUT RICE CAKE
Recipe for five servings
REQUIREMENTS
- 1 cup sieved rice flour
- 11/2 cups grated coconut
- 3 eggs
- 1/3 cup butter
- 1 1/2 tablespoons baking powder
- 2 teaspoons vanilla
- 1 cup of sugar
- 2 cups milk
What you do
Mix sugar and butter very well until creamed. Add eggs to creamed mixture and mix in flour, vanilla, baking powder and milk.
Pour mixture into a greased baking pan. Sprinkle grated coconut on top mixture and bake in an oven at 350 degrees for 30 to 45 minutes.
Serve with chilled juice of choice.

1 Like

Re: About Coconut And dishes You Can Prepare With Coconut by mhisbliss(f): 11:50am On Aug 26, 2016
COCONUT CUSTARD
Recipe for eight servings
REQUIREMENTS
- 35g coconut flakes
- 250ml coconut cream
- 200ml milk
- 3 eggs
- 2 egg yolks
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
What you do
In a medium size skillet cook coconut for approximately two to five minutes over medium heat until toasted.
Remove it from the heat and place the content into a heatproof bowl. Combine the coconut cream and milk in a small saucepan.
Bring it to a simmer over low heat and remove. In another separate heat-proof bowl, whisk the eggs, egg yolks and sugar.
Add coconut cream mixture and whisk until combined. Pour evenly into six 3/4 -cup heatproof bowls.
Cook the custards in a bamboo steamer over a wok one-third filled with simmering water for 25 to 30 minutes or until custard is set. Top custards with toasted coconut and serve.

2 Likes

Re: About Coconut And dishes You Can Prepare With Coconut by mhisbliss(f): 11:51am On Aug 26, 2016
COCONUT ICE CREAM
Recipe for five servings
REQUIREMENTS
- 6 egg yolks
- Pinch of salt
- 1 can coconut cream
- 2 cups heavy cream
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
What you do
Beat the egg yolks with a mixer until they are a pale yellow and form a thick ribbon.
Scald the cream in a saucepan and gradually stir cup of the cream into the egg yolks.
Add the yolk mixture back to the saucepan. Cook custard for another two to four minutes but do not boil, so the custard can coat the back of a spoon.
Cool the cream mixture and whisk in the can of cream of coconut, salt and the vanilla.
Chill for at least one to two hours, then serve.

1 Like

Re: About Coconut And dishes You Can Prepare With Coconut by mhisbliss(f): 11:53am On Aug 26, 2016
COCONUT COOKIES
Recipe for four servings
REQUIREMENTS
- 2 1/2 cups flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon soda
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 1 cup butter
- 2 eggs
- 2 teaspoons vanilla
- 1 cup uncooked oats
- 2 cups coconut, flaked
What you do
Combine flour, baking powder, soda and salt into a bowl and mix.
Add granulated sugar, brown sugar, butter, egg and vanilla; beat until smooth.
Stir in oats and coconut. Shape to form one-inch cookies and arrange the cookies on greased cooking sheets.
Bake in preheated oven 180 degrees F for 15 to 20 minutes.
Serve with a soft drink of choice.

1 Like 2 Shares

Re: About Coconut And dishes You Can Prepare With Coconut by mhisbliss(f): 11:54am On Aug 26, 2016
COCONUT MUFFINS
Recipe for six servings
REQUIREMENTS
- 2 cups boiling water
- 4 eggs
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 2 cup flour
- 1 cup oats, uncooked
- 1 cup flaked coconut
- 1 1/2teaspoons cinnamon, grounded
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
What you do
Add to water, a mixture of salt and oats. Allow to rise for 20 minutes.
Mix butter and sugar until smooth, add eggs and beat well. Combine flour and cinnamon and stir into creamed mixture.
Add coconut and oats, Stir well. Preheat the oven to (350 degrees) and grease the muffin cups and fill to 2/3 full.
Bake for 25-30 minutes. Remove muffins from the heat, cool and serve as desired.

1 Like

Re: About Coconut And dishes You Can Prepare With Coconut by okirewaju(f): 12:26pm On Aug 26, 2016
Coconut moi moi is delish. When I heard of it I said to myself there is no way I am going to eat that but i decided to try it one day and I loved it.

So yummy. Next on my list is Coconut fried rice

1 Like 1 Share

Re: About Coconut And dishes You Can Prepare With Coconut by lola024(f): 6:32am On Aug 27, 2016
Ohh....am going to try one of these out soon

1 Like

Re: About Coconut And dishes You Can Prepare With Coconut by LoveJesus87(m): 6:54am On Sep 05, 2016
mhisbliss:
COCONUT RICE
Recipe for five servings
REQUIREMENTS
- 1 medium size coconut
- 3 cups rice
- 1 big size onion
- 500g meat, washed, seasoned and cooked
- 5 green peppers, chopped
- 1 small tin tomato paste
- 2 tablespoons margarine
- 40ml groundnut oil
- 4 fresh tomatoes
- 1 can sweet corn
- 1 can green pea
- salt and seasonings to taste
What you do
Break coconut, remove from shell and scrape away the brown outer skin. Cut coconut into small chunks and blend with water.
Thereafter, strain and sieve. Add extracted coconut liquid to pepper, onion and tomato paste. Add salt and other available seasoning to taste and bring to boil.
Wash, add rice and cook until soft. Check at intervals to adjust seasoning and water if need be.
Fry meat and garnish with tomato sauce. Serve with chilled orange juice.
very wonderful
Re: About Coconut And dishes You Can Prepare With Coconut by mhisbliss(f): 6:54am On Sep 05, 2016
LoveJesus87:
very wonderful
smiley

1 Like

Re: About Coconut And dishes You Can Prepare With Coconut by barackodam: 11:35am On Sep 05, 2016
d'hell!!!!!

on top agbon alone?
Issorai, make una dey chop am
Re: About Coconut And dishes You Can Prepare With Coconut by arabianights: 1:12pm On Nov 25, 2016
okirewaju:
Coconut moi moi is delish. When I heard of it I said to myself there is no way I am going to eat that but i decided to try it one day and I loved it.

So yummy. Next on my list is Coconut fried rice
please,what Is The Recipe?How Do I Make It? Am Presently On A Health Diet And Coconut Is One Of My Approved Items.
Re: About Coconut And dishes You Can Prepare With Coconut by okirewaju(f): 4:43pm On Nov 25, 2016
arabianights:
please,what Is The Recipe?How Do I Make It? Am Presently On A Health Diet And Coconut Is One Of My Approved Items.
Same way you prepare the moi moi but you add deshelled coconut to the beans then grind together.

Hope you understand?
Re: About Coconut And dishes You Can Prepare With Coconut by ibietela2(m): 6:01pm On Nov 25, 2016
Person no go befriend toilet after eating?
Re: About Coconut And dishes You Can Prepare With Coconut by arabianights: 6:23pm On Nov 25, 2016
okirewaju:
Same way you prepare the moi moi but you add deshelled coconut to the beans then grind together.

Hope you understand?
me I No Understand Kindy Specify All Steps Abeg No Vex,you Hear?
Re: About Coconut And dishes You Can Prepare With Coconut by okirewaju(f): 10:56am On Nov 27, 2016
arabianights:
me I No Understand Kindy Specify All Steps Abeg No Vex,you Hear?
Was running away from typing yesterday. Anyway steps are below:

Ingredients
4 cups of beans
1/2 medium sized Coconut
Oil- palm oil/ groundnut oil
Fresh pepper/tatashe
Onion
Prawn and crayfish
Salt
Seasoning- Maggi/Knorr cube

METHOD

I remove the skin of the beans, deshell the coconut and remove the brown covering leaving the white meat.

I blend the beans and coconut with pepper, onion, crayfish, tatashe until smooth then pour in a bowl.

I add seasoning, oil of my choice, prawn, crayfish, water, onion and salt then stir in circular motion to incorporate air.

Put in my choice container and steam

Note
You can add smoked fish/boiled egg/ponmo/liver etc to your beans paste but I like my moimoi bare with only crayfish, prawn and onion.

Save me a wrap after cooking oh

1 Like

Re: About Coconut And dishes You Can Prepare With Coconut by Nobody: 12:11pm On Nov 27, 2016
Nice .
Re: About Coconut And dishes You Can Prepare With Coconut by arabianights: 2:02pm On Nov 27, 2016
okirewaju:
Was running away from typing yesterday. Anyway steps are below:

Ingredients
4 cups of beans
1/2 medium sized Coconut
Oil- palm oil/ groundnut oil
Fresh pepper/tatashe
Onion
Prawn and crayfish
Salt
Seasoning- Maggi/Knorr cube

METHOD

I remove the skin of the beans, deshell the coconut and remove the brown covering leaving the white meat.

I blend the beans and coconut with pepper, onion, crayfish, tatashe until smooth then pour in a bowl.

I add seasoning, oil of my choice, prawn, crayfish, water, onion and salt then stir in circular motion to incorporate air.

Put in my choice container and steam

Note
You can add smoked fish/boiled egg/ponmo/liver etc to your beans paste but I like my moimoi bare with only crayfish, prawn and onion.

Save me a wrap after cooking oh
THANK U SOOO MUCH
Re: About Coconut And dishes You Can Prepare With Coconut by MystiqueReine(f): 1:33pm On Dec 03, 2016
I would definitely try them one day

#foodaddict
Re: About Coconut And dishes You Can Prepare With Coconut by Nobody: 1:45pm On Aug 27, 2017
mhisbliss:
COCONUT COOKIES
Recipe for four servings
REQUIREMENTS
- 2 1/2 cups flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon soda
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 1 cup butter
- 2 eggs
- 2 teaspoons vanilla
- 1 cup uncooked oats
- 2 cups coconut, flaked
What you do
Combine flour, baking powder, soda and salt into a bowl and mix.
Add granulated sugar, brown sugar, butter, egg and vanilla; beat until smooth.
Stir in oats and coconut. Shape to form one-inch cookies and arrange the cookies on greased cooking sheets.
Bake in preheated oven 180 degrees F for 15 to 20 minutes.
Serve with a soft drink of choice.

Just have to save this

(1) (Reply)

Cake Airbrushing / Instant Nigerian Food / Disgusting Meal Breakers,photos Of Animals Found In Food.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 38
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.