Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,149,979 members, 7,806,859 topics. Date: Wednesday, 24 April 2024 at 04:42 AM

Passenger Transportation Business ? - Business (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Business / Passenger Transportation Business ? (40840 Views)

Starting A Transportation Business / Transportation Business In Lagos / Transportation Business In Nigeria (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Passenger Transportation Business ? by youngestpr(m): 11:22am On Apr 29, 2010
I am a good driver and i wish to apply to a decent transportation company esp in lagos or ibadan. pls let me know if any is recruiting.
Re: Passenger Transportation Business ? by martog: 11:40am On Apr 29, 2010
@ Youngestpr, i copied this from a site , see if it matches ur interest, @ Ilupeju is recriuting drivers. send ur CV to cvkemi@yahoo.com
Allied Computers, a fast growing ICT company is in need of corporate drivers. The ideal candidate for this position must have the following specifications:
1. Male
2. 10-15 years driving experience
3. Minimum of OND in any course
4. Must have a valid driver's liscence
5. Must be conversant with Lagos topography
6. Must have good written and oral communication skills
7. Must have excellent interpersonal skiils and perseverance
8. Resident around Lekki/Ikoyi/VI and it's environs
9. Must be willing to work under pressure and at times weekends, Only shortlisted candidates will be invited for interview. Deadline for submission of cvs is May 7th 2010
es, weekends
10. Must appear corporate and neat at all times

send ur CV to cvkemi@yahoo.com
Re: Passenger Transportation Business ? by songus: 3:03pm On May 05, 2010
nthnymarce:

hi,our company urgently needs two caster buses for a 3 yr contract deal. we can be giving you as much as 300k per a month.
Please send details to bsbmarketing@yahoo.co.uk
Re: Passenger Transportation Business ? by DDMoses(m): 12:44pm On May 07, 2010
Kudos to you people that answer these questions, i have tried to do feasibility study on this project, but mine is a little bit difference, i want to buy faragon buses within Lagos an its environs but my scared is that i learn that drivers are not realiable, can anybody help me out on this please
Re: Passenger Transportation Business ? by harakiri(m): 8:30pm On May 14, 2010
Is transportation business still profitable in Nigeria? Especially the ones that aren't funded with bank loans?
Re: Passenger Transportation Business ? by Greycells(m): 1:41pm On May 18, 2010
harakiri:

Is transportation business still profitable in Nigeria? Especially the ones that aren't funded with bank loans?

Transportation business is profit in Nigeria (almost all businesses are, except for manufacturing cos of power and policy somersaults).

Tis better u fund it with bank money if u run a limited liability coy grin grin grin
Re: Passenger Transportation Business ? by harakiri(m): 2:48pm On May 18, 2010
G-reycells:

Transportation business is profit in Nigeria (almost all businesses are, except for manufacturing cos of power and policy somersaults).

Tis better u fund it with bank money if u run a limited liability coy grin grin grin

Really? Which ones? Is it local, interstate or cross country? Have you ran a transport business before? I have. . .both okada, local and interstate transport and right now, i cannot advise my enemy to venture into such.The stories they will be telling you will raise your blood pressure above normal.It doesn't matter if it's daily delivery or hire purchase.There are only very few that will use your bus and honor the agreement.I once had a driver who agreed to a hire purchase agreement where he would deliver a specified amount weekly and within a year, own the bus.This guy used this bus recklessly, raised money to buy his own bus in 7 months and started giving me one story or the other.The agreement broke down and he showed disinterest about continuing driving the bus (which had become a wreck by the way).It was later i discovered the reason why.

Most (if not all) drivers in Nigeria are outrightly dishonest.Before they give you N1,000, they will make sure that they have N5,000.They will ensure they make more money out of the bus that yourself.I am telling you this from several experiences.TRANSPORTATION BUSINESS IN NIGERIA IS A NO-GO AREA unless it's a bank assisted project.

End of!
Re: Passenger Transportation Business ? by insight04: 11:23am On May 20, 2010
G-reycells:

harakiri:

Really? Which ones? Is it local, interstate or cross country? Have you ran a transport business before? I have. . .both okada, local and interstate transport and right now, i cannot advise my enemy to venture into such.The stories they will be telling you will raise your blood pressure above normal.It doesn't matter if it's daily delivery or hire purchase.There are only very few that will use your bus and honor the agreement.I once had a driver who agreed to a hire purchase agreement where he would deliver a specified amount weekly and within a year, own the bus.This guy used this bus recklessly, raised money to buy his own bus in 7 months and started giving me one story or the other.The agreement broke down and he showed disinterest about continuing driving the bus (which had become a wreck by the way).It was later i discovered the reason why.

Most (if not all) drivers in Nigeria are outrightly dishonest.Before they give you N1,000, they will make sure that they have N5,000.They will ensure they make more money out of the bus that yourself.I am telling you this from several experiences.TRANSPORTATION BUSINESS IN NIGERIA IS A NO-GO AREA unless it's a bank assisted project.

End of!

Fallacy of generalisation. You shouldnt use your personal business failure as the standard of how profitable a transportation venture would turn out to be. There are also lots of people with success stories too. If you entrust your 'daily delivery' or 'hire purchase' to the right kind of person it becomes a 'win-win' situation. If a driver starts to show signs of misconduct, you drop them instead of over-looking their short-commings. As a Business manager you should take the blame for your hindsight and naivety instead of the 'crooked' driver. As a Manager you need to be in control and shrewd. The vehicle is your asset and your 'cash-cow'. I have inserted clauses in contracts with drivers that allow me to sack them for any alleged breach. When each vehicle breaks even (i.e has generated enough funds to replace itself) you change your strategy. Drivers are smart. Once they notice that you aare just relaxed and waiting for your daily take-away without close supervision/monitoring they will take advantage of your aloofness. Wake up and smell the coffee.

11 Likes

Re: Passenger Transportation Business ? by Kafin(m): 4:28pm On May 20, 2010
^^^^ Two diverse views from Harakiri and Insight04.

@Harakiri, If the drivers will make =N=5000, before delivering =N=1000, and bank financing can make it work (as you said), then the issue is not with the business but the business manager.

@ Insight04, I am looking at this business and will like to have an idea of the "clauses" that you have inserted into your contract with the drivers, and some ideas of the "early signs of driver misconduct.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Passenger Transportation Business ? by Femson2011: 4:34pm On May 20, 2010
Hello Mr Fhemmmy,

I will like to make contribution with your topic,I work as bus assistant,and I know everything about this business,I was very happy when I see this topic.
If you want to venture into this business you need somebody who know about this business to manage this business for you in Nigeria,because the way they do it in Canada and USA is different with ours in Nigeria,first of all you will need good and honest driver and good and honest management.
Secondly It depend on how many piece of bus you want to use,if it is not one or two,you need to get a space as a garage,we can use them for different location either, Abuja,P/H,calabar, Imo,etc.

But you can contact me so we can discuss better, I wish you good luck.

The business is a lucrative business in Nigeria.
femson2020@yahoo.com

+2347063411130
Re: Passenger Transportation Business ? by insight04: 8:01pm On May 20, 2010
Kafin:

^^^^ Two diverse views from Harakiri and Insight04.

@Harakiri, If the drivers will make =N=5000, before delivering =N=1000, and bank financing can make it work (as you said), then the issue is not with the business but the business manager.

@ Insight04, I am looking at this business and will like to have an idea of the "clauses" that you have inserted into your contract with the drivers, and some ideas of the "early signs of driver misconduct.

@Kafin,

You can draw up whatever clause you want to so far as its not illegal. You need to do a "dry trial" of the business yourself (become a bus/taxi driiver or conductor for a day) and know the route the bus will be used for. Know the estimated mileage being used every day by taking records. Have an idea of the estimated daily returns you expect. If you set it too high, they will over use your vehicle. If you set it too low, you will end up funding the drivers other business.

One clause to insert is, if the driver does not make the agreed daily return then the agreement is void. In that case the driver will even borrow money to make returns to you whenever he gets a shortfall. Dont take " I beg sir" if he dafaults. Be shrewd and end the contract and look for someone else. As a business man you need to make tough business decisions and understand human psychology

Periodically take the vehicle off the road and take it for servicing/ diagnostic testing to reveal any latent defects. get a car tracker and monitor your car from your laptop or iPhone( i.e. the speed being used, and the areas and distance being covered).

When the driver see's how much attention to detail you input to your transportation business he will take heed to himself and re-adjust his greed guage. Each of my vehicles produces enough income to buy another one within 5-6 months-thats why i dont do hire purchase agreements with drivers. Each vehicle is a Cash Cow and you should be able to milk enough profit from the cow till it gets old.

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Passenger Transportation Business ? by Besto(m): 10:25pm On May 20, 2010
they r enuf magas on this thread, guy shine ya eyes, everybodi don turn special adviser.

1 Like

Re: Passenger Transportation Business ? by Kafin(m): 7:38am On May 23, 2010
insight04:

Periodically take the vehicle off the road and take it for servicing/ diagnostic testing to reveal any latent defects. get a car tracker and monitor your car from your laptop or iPhone( i.e. the speed being used, and the areas and distance being covered).

@Insight04, Thanks for your time, I really appreciate your views. Major part of the orientation program for a new driver will be to help monitor the existing drivers via GPS, and explain what he thinks the driver is doing grin. This will let him know that he is being monitored.
Re: Passenger Transportation Business ? by iGuru1(m): 1:50pm On May 23, 2010
Pls can anyone tell me how much does a VW vanagon cost in naija.
Re: Passenger Transportation Business ? by jaaadddeee: 5:37pm On May 25, 2010
well,as an NL.i v dis for anyone interested in transportation cos i am into it presently.first you need to get into the system yourself to know the mode of operation but in the cause and off you will meet two sets of pple wth false and true cause so you need your wisdom to act smart.the success of it lies with the owner or manager not the drivers as pple claim b4 i venture into it.getting a trusted driver is just and added advantage.you also need to follow up how the driver operates on daily bases.whether installment or daily delivery income from transportation is for diversification and not consummated to achieve optimal success.either to increase the no of bus or create another venture,or else in the long run you get frustrated cos the bus is just like every other company machine dat has a life span.as for vw bus it varies get into the system to understand the use of the different vw buses cos there is bound to be views on it.its left to pick you choice.for instance,we v diesel,petrol with single carburettor,with double carburettor all have their views which when you get into the system you get to knw and make your decision but the price range for all is btw N550,000 and N650,000 and the maximum to get any of it on road is N700-N750.which you could have left over cash base on your choice.so all the scary trash depend sole on the owner's management for success.good luck

2 Likes

Re: Passenger Transportation Business ? by fegflu: 9:58pm On May 27, 2010
Insight04 ,,,, please can i have your contact details or telephone numbers. I need ur advise, cus it appears you have some useful info on this transport business.

Can i call you. Please reply me with ur telephone number,
Re: Passenger Transportation Business ? by spotball(m): 11:52pm On May 28, 2010
@ jaaadddeee
I like the way you broke down the cost of getting a varagon what if one want to get a toyota haice or nissan urvan, something inexpensive, and can you recommend a place where one can get any of the above buses ?
Re: Passenger Transportation Business ? by spotball(m): 12:17am On May 29, 2010
i have about 600,000 and want to know if it can get a very good nissan urvan or toyota haice.
Re: Passenger Transportation Business ? by jaaadddeee: 9:21pm On Jun 04, 2010
spotball, with dat amount you will not be able to get a good bus of either the two brand you want,except used one and i will not advise you for used one for transportation. with the amount you could only be able to get varagon diesel engine at 530-550,000 or a car transport.dis are the only two ways to your capital.the brand you requested is beyond that amount,i mean a good one
Re: Passenger Transportation Business ? by PapaBrowne(m): 8:26pm On Jun 05, 2010
@Fhemmmy
Did you still go into the transport business I would like to know the outcome.
If you didn't, can you please inform on what bottlenecks you faced that might have hindered you?
Please reply.
Re: Passenger Transportation Business ? by Ikedonn(m): 5:46pm On Jun 17, 2010
Hello jadeeee,how much is a clean tokunbo toyota hiace in nigeria with air-condition?pls reply me.I want to buy one very soon,thanks.
Re: Passenger Transportation Business ? by jaaadddeee: 3:49pm On Jun 18, 2010
ikedonn,for a good one tokunbo of that taste goes for 1.5m-2m.its no big deal you can as well get involved by just going to the car dealers around your location and you will also have knowledge of the price range.it also varies for different dealers.just within this range have given you.for you to start trans,you need to be part of it,to know how it works,what works and what doesnt.
Re: Passenger Transportation Business ? by martog: 4:57pm On Jun 18, 2010
Please, can i get a VW Trasporter (vanagon) bus at a moderate price, diesel engine, preferably. I intend to use for passenger transport within Lagos metropolis.
Prompt response will be highly appreciated.
Re: Passenger Transportation Business ? by jaaadddeee: 5:56pm On Jun 18, 2010
what do you term moderate price,i have given the range of a diesel engine vw transporter above,530-550 purchase price.you could also do a survey on it.
Re: Passenger Transportation Business ? by martog: 6:00pm On Jun 18, 2010
Thanks bro. am looking at 400k.
Re: Passenger Transportation Business ? by Ikedonn(m): 7:51pm On Jun 18, 2010
Thanks Jadeeeee.Actually am in abroad now,but i will come home soon for that.
Re: Passenger Transportation Business ? by jaaadddeee: 10:21pm On Jun 18, 2010
martog,with that amount you cannot start bus trans biz.maybe you could just build on that to get what you want.
Re: Passenger Transportation Business ? by Fhemmmy: 2:05am On Jun 19, 2010
[b]Waohhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh
I am so short of words and so full of respect for you all and everyone that has contributed to this thread.
I have long forgot about the thread.
While i still have the business plan on my desk and planning towards it, i have suspended the project for the following reasons:
1. Ability to be around to take off ground - Cos i have a full time job where i am, and wont be that easy for me to just take off and stay in Nigeria for too long.
2. Was kinda discouraged by friends and family about the opportunity of getting a reliable and trustworthy driver.
3. The possibility of getting a reliable manager, cos i dont do business with families.
4. The people that we were doing the planning together seems to be interested in taking my money and not really into doing the business to grow into what i was planning and foresee.
5. Getting information in Nigeria for business purpose is like pulling the teeth of a lion.

And few others.

But like i said, i still wanna do the business cos i have access to some really nice and reliable buses and ever coaches if that is what i want, and for the fact that i wanna use it for my own business, i would be able to get something that i am sure will last me for a long time.

You have all made great points, but one point that really scares me off, is the point of renting a garage, i would rather use that money to get another bus, cos the more buses that we have, the better.
The plan was to have like 2 buses on standby at all times, and the rest on the road, and every 2 weeks, the buses will be serviced to make sure no down times.

We are so much into exporting automobiles into Nigeria now, but still will like to do other stuff, but trust is the issue.

Once again, thanks for your time on this thread. . . . . If we see a way to make it work, we are so much still interested.[/b]
Re: Passenger Transportation Business ? by jikings(m): 8:59pm On Jun 19, 2010
Hello Fellow NL's . Does anyone have any experience of dealing with the Niaja Transport companies in terms of patnering with them? I have been informed that you could buy a hiace bus and add to one of these companies fleet and get a monthly payment of about N350K with a three year contract. The bus has to be new or almost new for you to be acceptted? Please I would like to get more imformation about this cus I'm at a cross-roads if I to invest or not? Your kind advise is much appreciated!

1 Like

Re: Passenger Transportation Business ? by Fhemmmy: 5:36am On Jun 20, 2010
jikings:

Hello Fellow NL's . Does anyone have any experience of dealing with the Niaja Transport companies in terms of patnering with them? I have been informed that you could buy a hiace bus and add to one of these companies fleet and get a monthly payment of about N350K with a three year contract. The bus has to be new or almost new for you to be acceptted? Please I would like to get more imformation about this cus I'm at a cross-roads if I to invest or not? Your kind advise is much appreciated!

I know that some trucking companies does that, but never knew that Passenger buses does that as well.
Please, if you ever get such info, i wont mind too, cos that will be easier for me to do and still be able to close both eyes to sleep at night
Re: Passenger Transportation Business ? by Bestglo(f): 12:51pm On Jun 21, 2010
Fhemmmy:

5. Getting information in Nigeria for business purpose is like pulling the teeth of a lion.

ROTFLMAO grin grin grin grin grin grin grin

Fhemmo, u harsh o grin
Re: Passenger Transportation Business ? by Fhemmmy: 1:00pm On Jun 21, 2010
Bestglo:

ROTFLMAO grin grin grin grin grin grin grin

Fhemmo, u harsh o grin

I am just being real now.
Cos most Nigerians in the business will not share the information about the business with you, they all think and assumes that you wanna come and take their business away from them.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

Which Lucrative Business Can One Start Here In Lagos Nigeria: Someone Help / Which Bank Has The Best Domiciliary Account Services? / What Made The Dollar Fall Over Night?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 67
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.