Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,149,021 members, 7,803,428 topics. Date: Saturday, 20 April 2024 at 04:04 PM

Restructurin,is It Really Important To Nigeria Now - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Restructurin,is It Really Important To Nigeria Now (452 Views)

We Are Ready To Divide Nigeria Now: Northern Elders Forum / It’s Risky To Talk About Nigeria Now - Jonathan / Buhari's Appointments So Far What It Really Looks Like (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Restructurin,is It Really Important To Nigeria Now by ariesbull: 4:59am On Aug 28, 2016
We can call it the holy grail of Nigerian administration. Restructuring of the Nigerian ecosystem has been on for sometime. It is the new kid in the block This is in tandem with the call for economic diversification of the country. This report will focus on the term “restructure”. In a nutshell or a layman language, restructuring simply means change. A change from status quo. The calls have been so high that people tend to see this concept as the only way to change Nigerian enterprise for good. Some other school of though consider restructuring to mean a form of economic and political diversion.

According to some argument that support this concept, Nyesom Wike, the present governor of River state has this to say”I don’t like it when people call me the Chief Security Officer of my state, I wonder how I am the chief security officer, I don’t have the security apparatus of the state, the police and military are not answerable to me,rather Abuja. They only call me when they need logistics such as cars etc. I think that I am okay with Chief Logistic Officer” he said in a conference. Biodun Sowumi a social critique supports Nyesom on this aspect. He said ” it is not in equity that somebody is taking alluvial gold somewhere in North and the people in the creeks are not allowed to touch the crude. ”

In thoe same view, people have said that, there is nothing to restructure in Nigeria today. The ENTERPRISE called Nigeria is okay. What seems to lack is the political will to implement the laid down policies.Bisi Akindele supports this position when he opined”the structure of the nation is not the problem.The problem lies with the political elites and citizens They need to restructure their orientation”.
One thing that is glaring here is change. Restructure is a form of change. A deviation or departure from the old order to the new one. Change has been noted to be a permanent thing in life. Avoiding this change will be detrimental to the economic life of the Nation.
Let us look how this will affect the nation. A state like Anambra with its progressive look,some few years ago discovered crude oil in Anam region. That is where it ends. Anambra will not and can not be allowed to explore the God given potentials. The Governor must write abuja to for permission to drill or call people to drill. This handicap is the cause of restructuring. The state would not benefit from the crude deposit. The multiply effects lost and the benefit will not cascade to communities that this crude oil is meant to be explored. mineral deposits exploration are under “exclusive list” and this is what people want to be restructured. Ability to take ones destiny in ones hand. That isn’t a big thing to ask.

The River State Governor was bitter over this status quo. A situation where the nation is grossly under policed and the state wont be permitted to have their own security apparatus to bridge the police gap. This singular vacuum has given room for illegalities. Nigeria is fashioned after the American federal system and in USA, state have police and counties have sheriffs. With clear demarcation between a federal crime and state. Restructuring is asking that let states have their own security apparatus that can monitored by the Federal.

A state like Abia state that is trying to build a sea port(Ibaka sea port) that will serve as an export route for the commercial city of Aba.But due to policies of exclusivity, the Abians are handicapped and they must go all the way to Tin Can sea port at Lagos to either import or export. With restructuring , states like Abia can change the economic fortunes of their citizens and reduce the pressures on existing facilities such as roads and Lagos port.
Antagonist of restructuring have made it look scary. They propounded that : If states and existing laws are restructured such as adding referendum in the constitution,it will make some regions to agitate for their full state and independence such as Biafra and Niger Delta Republic. I do not see this as a problem, states can have bilateral agreement such as UAE and UK. These singular agreement have seen these countries run an efficient economy. Others opined that, it will make some states to be stupendously rich,states like Akwa IBom will dominate poor states like Zamfara. This is another lame excuse. Every state has the capacity to be developed economically. The situation where Peter is robbed to pay Paul makes states not to have their thinking caps on. States can survive without oil,Anambra and Lagos have demonstrates this theory in Nigeria...https://etimesafrica./2016/08/28/restructuring-do-nigeria-need-it/
Re: Restructurin,is It Really Important To Nigeria Now by agwom(m): 5:15am On Aug 28, 2016
Re: Restructurin,is It Really Important To Nigeria Now by specialadviser5: 5:19am On Aug 28, 2016
Very important.
Re: Restructurin,is It Really Important To Nigeria Now by thedarksider: 5:31am On Aug 28, 2016
what do they want to restructure exactly??...

Re: Restructurin,is It Really Important To Nigeria Now by Nobody: 5:50am On Aug 28, 2016
Seriously important. It's non negotiable
Re: Restructurin,is It Really Important To Nigeria Now by nonjebose(m): 6:40am On Aug 28, 2016
Yes, and it must be done holistically
Re: Restructurin,is It Really Important To Nigeria Now by Nobody: 6:55am On Aug 28, 2016
When Ojukwu and Co introduced region resource management to u... U rejected it and killed 2 million Biafrans to allow status quo...now in 2016 you are recommending it....May God be the Judge .

(1) (Reply)

Re: Court Refuses Kashamu’s Application To Stop Dss From Extraditing Him To Us / National Youth Summit 2016!! Get In Here / Edo 2016: Monarch Places Curse On Subjects Who Fail To Vote APC

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 18
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.