Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,491 members, 7,808,816 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 05:18 PM

Is This What Makes A Marriage? - Family - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Is This What Makes A Marriage? (23883 Views)

A Marriage List Given To A Man In Akwa Ibom (Screenshot) / Reasons Why Women Walk Out Of A Marriage / 8 Signs A Marriage Won’t Last, According To Divorce Lawyers (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Is This What Makes A Marriage? by Twinkleme: 1:18pm On Aug 28, 2016
Hello everyone, i had to create a new profile to write this story in order to get your mature and genuine advise on this issue which will be appreciated. I will try to answer your questions while also making the narration short.

Husband- I'm married to a nice and pleasant man who up to two years ago was my friend and anchor but today he's a different person in many ways but this story is not about him.

Me-I'm an average person who tries to live life the best way I can. My MAJOR flaws according to my husband is that I like things being done right as much as possible. For examples,; if we have plan to do anything-savings, paying school fees, keeping secrets, etc. I expect us to live up to our word on such matters except we both agree to change things. My husband feels I am difficult and impossible because I won't condone wrong doing and i like things being done appropriately.(i understand mistakes but not persistent wrong doing).

My family-we are generally independent and so for example since I got married, my people has not requested any form of monetary assistance from my husband and they don't visit much except they come to assist or see my mum who stays with us to care for our child...

My husband's family-he is the youngest of the family. They are all older and in their up bringing older onse are ALWAYS right no matter what.

Issue-since I got married and put to bed twice, my husband's family has NEVER called my parents (before or after the wedding) to acknowledge this or thank them. When I was wondering what the issue is "my husband said his parents almost had an accident when they travelled back home after our wedding and that my parents did not call them (none of us me or my family members was aware of this until about two years ago). Right now, unfortunately, I lost my Dad who came to see us and the grandchild I just had...My husband dropped him at a bus stop he's suppose to take a bus home from-he died in an accident on his way home. Now, my in-laws have still not called mum and my husband expect me to have a good relationship with his family or else he will be worse than he is. It is so bad that his elder brother came to the house and did not greet my mum, this is not the first time and my husband said he spoken with him about it.

Please advise how you will handle this situation as a man or woman.

Also, is marriage about becoming a slave to one's husband's family?
How do you have a good relationship with a family who does not acknowledge your family?

By the way, my husband suggested burying my Dad in a vault (leaving his body for the cemetery people to do whatever they like after the burial)because he felt we had a week to bury my father and this caused a major issue with my brothers who felt hurt by his statement in view of how my Dad died. Since then, he said my brothers has been direspecting him-one of them has never even been to my house since I got married.

Forgive the typos.

Seun and co please move this to front page.

I'm cc chaircover and co

2 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Is This What Makes A Marriage? by Ezedon(m): 1:20pm On Aug 28, 2016
Is that all?

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Is This What Makes A Marriage? by dytbabe: 1:49pm On Aug 28, 2016
Maybe me sha

But your hubby seem nonchalant
Yes he might be the best man ever but nonchalant attitude kills relationship faster
He's not concerned about your feelings

Shrugs

I dunno what you can do sha
lipsrsealed lipsrsealed undecided

23 Likes 1 Share

Re: Is This What Makes A Marriage? by Ishilove: 1:58pm On Aug 28, 2016
Which kind of mean family did you marry into, bikonu? Ha, God forbid these kind of in-laws. Tufia!

Tearoses, thorpido, TV01 and other experienced married people, your input is needed.

22 Likes 1 Share

Re: Is This What Makes A Marriage? by Ramanto(m): 1:59pm On Aug 28, 2016
A sad story here. sorry, ma. waiting for the wise ones to come offer their advice
Re: Is This What Makes A Marriage? by Nobody: 2:20pm On Aug 28, 2016
I await the people that'll say you don't like your horsebands' family.

RIP to your dad,tough time for your family cry.

Is the issue that your inlaws don't call your parents? What of your parents, do they call them? I really don't see any issue here, forgive me for that.

If your parents call them too, they should have been aware they 'almost had an accident', because I expect them to have called to confirm if they got home safely and in the course of that call, they should have mentioned the averted accident. So, I think they reserve the right to be angry but bearing a grudge for so long is the problem.
If your parents called and they didn't mention it, ignore all the rubbish up there lipsrsealed.

The problem I have with most people in life/marriage is that they expect too much from others.
You don't greet me_ I don't have to respond, we both save energy.
I marry you don't call me_ it doesn't stop the marriage.
I born, you still don't call_ it doesn't stop my child from growing, neither does it reduce his/her IQ. That's the kinda person I am, it has helped keep my sanity in check. Adopt this style and you'll live longer.

No, you don't have to slave for any human, be it inlaw or nah. If only women can stop all the pseudo-humility.
If you don't like something or can't do something, say it as politely as possible _ don't expect anyone to read your mind.

Ignore your husband's suggestion on how to bury your dad, maybe that's his view on how people should be buried. In the longrun, he gave his suggestion (albeit a stoopid one). The final decision lies in your family's hands.

How do you have a good relationship with a family who does not acknowledge your family?
I simply have a 'good relationship' with them. I ignore, I try not to count their f*ckups, because if I do, I must treat it.
Life is a whole lot easier that way.

136 Likes 12 Shares

Re: Is This What Makes A Marriage? by Nobody: 2:30pm On Aug 28, 2016
Apologies ma, I think you are too petty.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Is This What Makes A Marriage? by Nobody: 2:32pm On Aug 28, 2016
Ishilove:
Which kind of mean family did you marry into, bikonu? Ha, God forbid these kind of in-laws. Tufia!

Tearoses, thorpido, TV01 and other experienced married people, your input is needed.
Re: Is This What Makes A Marriage? by Safari29: 2:48pm On Aug 28, 2016
hmm, this is normal family pro,not that complicated. it is not compulsory for his family visit you, and u can never change an adult by force. Try to endure him, concentrate on the positive side. u have a great family

5 Likes

Re: Is This What Makes A Marriage? by herzern1(m): 4:27pm On Aug 28, 2016
This Story pass me oooh.....

Buh nevertheless..... Find favour from your In-laws....

They play a vital part in sustenance of marriage.....

#HamOut
Re: Is This What Makes A Marriage? by Clone2020(m): 4:29pm On Aug 28, 2016
There's always two sides to every story. OP i'm sure if your husband narrated his story, we will all sympathize with him. There has to be more to this story but of course you will portray yourself as the angel and your husband as the devil... You may not like this, but the most active demographic of nairaland users these days are 13 -19yrs old, what kind of advice do you really expect them to give you? Some of them will soon use your story as a meme; don't be surprised if one of them post something like "Your inlaws & satan are like 5 and 6" with the picture of president zuma joining both fingers and smiling sheepishly. I would advice you sit with your husband and tell him how you feel about his family's behavior towards your family. Communication is key in every relationship. If that doesn't work, then seek the services of a professional marriage counselor.
I wish you luck in your marriage.

44 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Is This What Makes A Marriage? by insomnia1234: 4:32pm On Aug 28, 2016
Hello,I think this is a normal routine happening in most homes, but the fact that you came to look for a solution shows that you are not altogether a difficult person undecided
But the truth is that from the tone of your write up, I can see somebody who has not understood the difference between family and business associates. When you realise that your husband is your family and not some body you are in business with, some of these complains you see will naturally go away.

12 Likes 1 Share

Re: Is This What Makes A Marriage? by ifenes(m): 4:34pm On Aug 28, 2016
Marriage is based on the system. A FALSE sense of power that enables the woman gets a man locked down. Be it via religion or the constitution.

Monogamy is a selfish based union not meant for men or women who cherish their freedom

3 Likes

Re: Is This What Makes A Marriage? by emmabest2000(m): 4:35pm On Aug 28, 2016
Marriage has no method ...

Face whatever that comes out of ur marriage with prayers and patient

7 Likes

Re: Is This What Makes A Marriage? by naijaboiy: 4:36pm On Aug 28, 2016
Concentrate on your nuclear family(your children and husband). Problems always arising from extended families is just too complicated and mostly unncessary.

If your husband's brother cannot greet your mother Na him wahala be that. The respect you have for your mother is enough.

Don't bother yourself about irrelevant matters. Please bury your dad the best way you can and forget about what your in-laws think.

Just ignore them and concentrate on your kids. They are the ones who will give you joy later on.

The reason why children are always close to their mothers is not far fetched as some father's make the mistake of pleasing their close relatives at the detriment of the wife they married, promising to always love and care for her at all times.

It's just sad.

30 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Is This What Makes A Marriage? by Sweetcollins: 4:38pm On Aug 28, 2016
Make l read am
Re: Is This What Makes A Marriage? by Lovelynature(m): 4:38pm On Aug 28, 2016
Life is full of ups and downs. So to succeed in any aspect of life be it marriage or any other union, one needs to focus more on the positive side of it no matter how small it appears.

Develop strong mindset and assure yourself that all is well. Talk to your husband about your feeling, but don't make it look as if you're blaming him or his family. Rather your observation and opinion on way forward.

Such is life - no perfect person or perfect condition

1 Like

Re: Is This What Makes A Marriage? by horexy(f): 4:39pm On Aug 28, 2016
Woow
Re: Is This What Makes A Marriage? by yomi007k(m): 4:39pm On Aug 28, 2016
Damn...this aint good.
Re: Is This What Makes A Marriage? by Ab025(m): 4:40pm On Aug 28, 2016
@poster

Before I comment...
Is the issue ur husband or his family or both?
Re: Is This What Makes A Marriage? by helphelp: 4:41pm On Aug 28, 2016
You married your husband, not your in-laws...

Be happy they don't poke nose sef

5 Likes

Re: Is This What Makes A Marriage? by Nobody: 4:41pm On Aug 28, 2016
Hmm!

Mindfulness

1 Like

Re: Is This What Makes A Marriage? by IMASTEX: 4:42pm On Aug 28, 2016
okay
Re: Is This What Makes A Marriage? by Horsesmouth: 4:43pm On Aug 28, 2016
From where Im standing you are a control freak and you display over domineering tendencies.

Your husband married you, you didnt marry him. He married you, and not your father and mother.
By African traditions, your family should respect him and his family and not the other way around.

From where i am standing he may be igbo whie you are yoruba, so cultural differences are expected. Every marriage is full of odd controversies here n there.

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Is This What Makes A Marriage? by thorpido(m): 4:43pm On Aug 28, 2016
You all need to make peace.You should try and reach out to your in-laws.
First talk to your husband on the need to be at peace with each other.Get your husband to also talk to his family members.
Make a call to your in-laws to greet them and since your mum is there,let her talk too when you make the call.
Find time to talk to visit your in-laws,you should do that at least once a year.

Sorry about your dad's passing.Your siblings and your mum(with other relatives) should determine how your dad should be buried.Your husband doesn't determine that.

4 Likes

Re: Is This What Makes A Marriage? by NairaMaster1(m): 4:43pm On Aug 28, 2016
Women and husband people

5 Likes

Re: Is This What Makes A Marriage? by Horsesmouth: 4:45pm On Aug 28, 2016
ifenes:
Marriage is based on the system. A FALSE sense of power that enables the woman gets a man locked down. Be it via religion or the constitution.

Monogamy is a selfish based union not meant for men or women who cherish their freedom

Monogamy is slavery

5 Likes

Re: Is This What Makes A Marriage? by victorazy(m): 4:48pm On Aug 28, 2016
Twinkleme:
Hello everyone, i had to create a new profile to write this story in order to get your mature and genuine advise on this issue which will be appreciated. I will try to answer your questions while also making the narration short.

Husband- I'm married to a nice and pleasant man who up to two years ago was my friend and anchor but today he's a different person in many ways but this story is not about him. ease move this to front page.

I'm cc chaircover and co

Sorry for ur lost!
I think ur too attached to ur family (am sorry) dou most women are.
Focus on ur immediate family and block ur ear from any other angle.

Men don't like rigid women especially though men (Leos) they have ego and if u want to see their monster, challenge them. But they are the best in love.

He still love you. Just cool down, don't be hard to him, he will give you the world.

My advise:
Slow down
Respect and don't challenge him.
Only give your suggestion, don't impose it on him or force him, allow him to be the head.
Let him make decision and if he fails on his plan, don't blame him, just support him to move on, next time he will listen to u.

9 Likes 1 Share

Re: Is This What Makes A Marriage? by demarc001: 4:49pm On Aug 28, 2016
You really need patience, take away that mindset of seeing things between your family and his as a point for competition or show of superiority. Marriage is meant to bring two families as one and you are the key character in this case. You seem not to get that, instead you are being one sided, at least in the first instance (his family had accident after leaving your marriage and you didn't know) didn't you and your hubby call to know about their return trip? They were your guest remember. Leave your husband to work on his family.
Anyway be more concerned about building your immediate family else all this will cause ga/seperation between you and your husband.

3 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

I Dated A Lady 9 Years Ago But Now Planning To Marry Her Step Sister, Should I? / Trending Babies Names In Your Local Language. / Pressure From Families After NYSC: Share Your Experiences, Especially Women

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 47
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.