Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,471 members, 7,808,697 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 03:34 PM

How Can One Legally Own Fire Arm In Nigeria? - Politics (6) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / How Can One Legally Own Fire Arm In Nigeria? (39707 Views)

Stop Weeping, Arm Benue People To Defend Themselves, Sagay Tells Ortom / Okoi Obono-Obla: "Biafra Referendum Legally & Politically Impossible" / Governor Ikpeazu In Arm Wrestling With A Chinese Investor In Abia (Photos) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: How Can One Legally Own Fire Arm In Nigeria? by Thisnut(m): 12:36am On Aug 30, 2016
claremont:

My point is this- The effective range of the rifle you love so much is similar to that of the AK-47 you despise. The ''maximum range'' means absolutely nothing because it cannot kill/injure a target at that range.
The effective range of AR15 is about twice of that of AK47. I don't think they're similar like you said
Re: How Can One Legally Own Fire Arm In Nigeria? by Nobody: 12:47am On Aug 30, 2016
GBTYO:
The law states you can only own a licenced double barrel shotgun.

The firearm is restricted to cartridge shells only and not buck shots.

It is not to be carried in public and is restricted to hunting and home defense.

Pistols, semi automatic and full automatic rifles are completely haram.

Dane guns firing shells are allowed since you don't stand a chance in hell with that crap.

But that doesn't stop the fulanis from getting Ak-47 assault rifles.

ota lenu..
the honour is mine o jaare solaa!
Re: How Can One Legally Own Fire Arm In Nigeria? by Nobody: 12:54am On Aug 30, 2016
GBTYO:

Dey there until fulani visit you
if you are Christian, you are wise... if you a moralist, you are knowledgeable..permit me if you are sleeping on bicycle...receive strength and wisdom...o jon lo...
Re: How Can One Legally Own Fire Arm In Nigeria? by Nobody: 1:21am On Aug 30, 2016
I hope that one day that we get a reasonable bill passed that will allow concealed carry for law abiding citizen.

The criminals already carry theirs.

Walther PPS 9mm
Re: How Can One Legally Own Fire Arm In Nigeria? by Nobody: 1:25am On Aug 30, 2016
vickylala239:

He may not knw anytin abt the Gun....but he got d laffin spot on....Nairaland is Jst for fun as no one here intend to buy such gun in Nigeria... knwing it is illegal...

So his post was Jst for fun....you Dnt Hv to call him names...

If u ask me I will tell u, Ppl actually enjoy his post mre Dan yours...... you Dnt Hv to b over Crious Evritym

sire jakumo...no be essay competition o...make you stand well o..
Re: How Can One Legally Own Fire Arm In Nigeria? by OgbeniSamm(m): 1:33am On Aug 30, 2016
In today's world, we can get a lot more done with a kind word and a gun, than with a kind word alone.

1 Like

Re: How Can One Legally Own Fire Arm In Nigeria? by yomz1e(m): 1:48am On Aug 30, 2016
Simple fact is we can't defend ourselves we are at the mercy of the robbers and police.
Re: How Can One Legally Own Fire Arm In Nigeria? by alexis(m): 4:10am On Aug 30, 2016
GBTYO:

A shotgun having more effective range than an assault rifle?

An AK has an effective range of 800m. That means it can kill you at 800m.

Shotgun is meant for close quarters and has a much lower effective range.

Other than buck shots, cartridge shells have very limited damage from 20yards.

Guy delete this nonsense now.

He was trying to say the AK is not an accurate weapon in a gun fight at long distances. Yes, it was kill at 800 meters but the general wood stock and lack of scoping accessories makes it a poor range shooting weapon. It has to be heavily customized for hit anything over 200 meters accurately. However, the 7.62 X 39 calibre is very effective in combat.
Re: How Can One Legally Own Fire Arm In Nigeria? by alexis(m): 4:12am On Aug 30, 2016
xendra:
OK after explaining how, is there even a place in Nigeria where shooters and wannabes go to learn. legally I mean.

None that I know of
Re: How Can One Legally Own Fire Arm In Nigeria? by alexis(m): 4:32am On Aug 30, 2016
Jakumo:

This write up is a fascinating work of fiction that is totally incorrect, from the standpoint of ballistic reality. Clearly the writer of this factually erroneous description has never owned a real gun in his life, but hopes to impress similarly unenlightened readers by baffling them with bullchit accumulated from playing video games and watching old war movies.

A pump action SHOTGUN unleashes a horrific flesh-mangling blast at point-blank ranges within 20 yards, BUT, those pellets only possess a MAXIMUM lethal range of 50 yards at best. Any target beyond 50 yards that is hit by shotgun pellets has a very good chance of escaping with small pellet wounds, and at ranges beyond 100 yards, shotgun pellets may not even retain sufficient energy to penetrate clothing. As a hunter who has used a pump action shotgun to down quarry ranging from fast-flying birds to sprinting deer, I happen to know what I am talking about, from personal experience over many, many years.

A rifle projectile, on the other hand, is capable of blasting gaping holes in flesh, and shattering bone, all the way out to 1 kilometer downrange, depending on the caliber of the projectile fired. The venerable AK47, chambered with the 7.62x39mm cartridge, is a devastating weapon capable of precision fire out to ranges in the region of 80 yards, beyond which accuracy drops off significantly, unless of course the rifle is fitted with a telescopic sight that improves accuracy, such that 200 yard shots can be attempted by steady-handed shooters. My .308 caliber deer rifle, fitted with a high magnification telescopic sight, will make clean deer kills well out beyond 350 yards, when fired from a stable resting position.

Having thoroughly tested the accuracy of an AK47 rifle at the firing range where many crates of ammo were expended at paper targets, I can lay claim to a very deep familiarity with the AK, going beyond mere shooting, and into the realm of complete disassembly and reassembly, which I perform blindfolded with ease, meaning that my observations about this weapon ALSO derive from EXTENSIVE hands-on experience, and not wild, uninformed speculation.

Before taking to the internet to make outlandish claims about subjects one does not truly understand, it would be prudent to bear in mind that not everyone in the targeted audience is guaranteed to be as profoundly ignorant as the pontificating writer.

Slugs with longer shotgun barrels will go well beyond 50 yards with lethal effects. It most likely will kill anything within a hundred yards. I have shot federal one ounce slugs with a smooth bore shotgun over 100 yards with very good results. Others have claimed good results over 200 yards hitting their targets. I am not a shotgun fan but they are pretty deadly with slugs over 100 yards. I turkey, boar and dear hunt all year round so that is my two cents smiley

These are good videos breaking down shotgun shells over different distances:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nNTyCcip-ks
Re: How Can One Legally Own Fire Arm In Nigeria? by alexis(m): 4:37am On Aug 30, 2016
InvertedHammer:

/
Buy the parts and retrofit to your specs. The most important part is the receiver. Get a barrel that can handle 7.62 x 39mm ammo. And you are good to go.
\

Buy the parts where? He is better off making one from scratch.
Re: How Can One Legally Own Fire Arm In Nigeria? by alexis(m): 4:40am On Aug 30, 2016
planetx:
Only someone that doesn't know the amount of damage done in a country like the US where almost every Tom dick and harry owns a gun will be advocating that sort of madness in Nigeria. I see people exchanging hot words on the streets of Lagos on a daily basis and you want to put firearms in that equation ? All we need is to empower the police and make them effective, American gun culture is nothing to emulate.

If you listen to liberal leftist leaning news, then yes - guns are problems in America. I guess so are cars, which kill more people than guns and even alcohol which does more damage than both. If you want to understand the culture and nature of guns in America, read it's constitution.

1 Like

Re: How Can One Legally Own Fire Arm In Nigeria? by alexis(m): 4:47am On Aug 30, 2016
planetx:
Name any other country in the world where you can walk into a gun store and buy a semi auto rifle talk less of a pistol.

1. Switzerland
2. Mexico
3. Bolivia
4. Austria
5. Guatemala

More closer to home is Liberia who's constitution closely resembles that of the United States

1 Like

Re: How Can One Legally Own Fire Arm In Nigeria? by alexis(m): 5:02am On Aug 30, 2016
yjgm:

AK47 effective range is 400m not 100 pls. Correct that assertion

Which one be effective? The guys is talking about accuracy. The reason is simple, the AK47 is made up of very few simple metal parts. It is very easy to assemble and disassemble. Because of these simple metal parts, it loses accuracy with recoil and it's harmonics are disturbed when it rides the railings and hit the back of the rifle.

Also, the hand rail is mostly made of wood which affects it during the heat and even in winter. Same reason it is harder for your door to open during the dry season and summer.

If the argument was that it is durable, then yes - the AK 47 is simple, durable and reliable simply because it has fewer parts. It has a decent calibre in the 7.62 by 39 which can pass through concrete blocks at close range. However, it is not an accurate weapon. The AR15 platform is a much better accurate weapon.

Simple put, I would prefer my enemies all have AK 47 at a long distance fight. At close quarters, they are deadly smiley
Re: How Can One Legally Own Fire Arm In Nigeria? by alexis(m): 5:04am On Aug 30, 2016
claremont:

This is incorrect. There is no military school that teaches people that the accuracy of the AK-47 is 100 yards, neither can the shotgun be effective for 300-400 yards like you said. I don't think you know anything about weapons, I'm keen to know where you read up these statistics from?

Have you shot an AK 47 at 150 yards before? If yes, can you produce the results?
Re: How Can One Legally Own Fire Arm In Nigeria? by alexis(m): 5:14am On Aug 30, 2016
Kaycee625:

Lies!!! Ak 47 effective range is 200m, maximum range is 500m
Tavour has effective range of 1km,maximum range 1.5km,dats the new guns the military is using against boko haram

Catapult has effective range of 200 meters as well, that doesn't mean it is accurate. For example, if you point an AK 74 at a person standing at the end of a 200 meters field, you most likely won't be able to hit them. So, it can have an effective range of 10,000 meters, it doesn't help if you can't hit the target
Re: How Can One Legally Own Fire Arm In Nigeria? by alexis(m): 5:18am On Aug 30, 2016
claremont:

Do you know what you are saying?!

I believe he is saying an AR15 is more accurate than an AK 47. Do you disagree?
Re: How Can One Legally Own Fire Arm In Nigeria? by alexis(m): 5:27am On Aug 30, 2016
claremont:

You are saying that the effective range is 3.6km?! The M4 hasn't got an effective range of even 1km, which is why I asked if you know what you are saying?! In a previous life, I was in the military, so I should know a bit of this really. I'm guessing that after a few years of my exit, weapon systems designed for an effective range of 500m have automatically acquired an effective range of 3.6km? I'm not very conversant with the American military weapon systems, but I know damn well that the bog-standard military rifle has an effective range of no more than 500m.

An AR 15 doesn't have a 3.6km effective range. I would say about 700 meters but that depends on the grains used in the caliber. That changes the velocity and ballistics. Most ammo vendors provide such info on their website. I have friends that have consistently hit targets at 800 meters with an AR 15.

Then there is the .338 Lapua's which goes about 1500 meters and a .50 calibre which goes over a mile. There is a new calibre that can hit close to 2 miles. As technology improves, so does killing machines
Re: How Can One Legally Own Fire Arm In Nigeria? by Jakumo(m): 5:42am On Aug 30, 2016
alexis:

Slugs with longer shotgun barrels will go well beyond 50 yards with lethal effects. It most likely will kill anything within a hundred yards. I have shot federal one ounce slugs with a smooth bore shotgun over 100 yards with very good results. Others have claimed good results over 200 yards hitting their targets. I am not a shotgun fan but they are pretty deadly with slugs over 100 yards. I turkey, boar and dear hunt all year round so that is my two cents smiley

These are good videos breaking down shotgun shells over different distances:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nNTyCcip-ks

You have brought up a very relevant point, Alexis, and it is good to hear from a fellow hunter. I happen to own a 12-gauge Winchester Model 1200 shotgun that I retrofitted for use firing slugs, which for those unfamiliar with the term, are SINGLE lumps of lead, as opposed to the numerous pellets that comprise the payload of a standard shotgun cartridge. I bought that rifled barrel to properly equip myself for buffalo and wild pig hunts, since those species need to be killed on the first shot, lest the hunter becomes the hunted.

The conversion of shotgun to slug gun could be likened to the conversion of a scatter-gun to a rifle. The after-market slug barrel I purchased contains internal grooves, or rifling, that imparts a stabilizing spin to the single projectile, so that it flies straight and true for far greater distances than standard shotgun pellets, before impacting the target and deforming into a very wide mushroom shape that creates gigantic wound channels capable of dropping a buffalo or an elephant in its tracks, if that impact occurs within say 150 yards, before the energy of the round tapers off to non-lethal levels.

While some slug guns have smooth barrels similar to a regular shotgun, the greatest level of accuracy is best obtained by going with a rifled barrel, as I did with my Winchester that I also fitted with a scope, to better serve its role as a tool of negotiation with BIG and MEAN critters. Interestingly, the slug barrel I purchased turned out to be noticeably shorter in length than the stock smooth-bore barrel that came with the gun when new, in contrast with the slug barrel that you mentioned having used.

Aloha
Re: How Can One Legally Own Fire Arm In Nigeria? by lordkhalifa(m): 5:52am On Aug 30, 2016
sukkot:
Post picture bro
are you a police officer
Re: How Can One Legally Own Fire Arm In Nigeria? by alexis(m): 6:01am On Aug 30, 2016
Jakumo:

You have brought up a very relevant point, Alexis, and it is good to hear from a fellow hunter. I happen to own a 12-gauge Winchester Model 1200 shotgun that I retrofitted for use firing slugs, which for those unfamiliar with the term, are SINGLE lumps of lead, as opposed to the numerous pellets that comprise the payload of a standard shotgun cartridge. I bought that rifled barrel to properly equip myself for buffalo and wild pig hunts, since those species need to be killed on the first shot, lest the hunter becomes the hunted.

The conversion of shotgun to slug gun could be likened to the conversion of a scatter-gun to a rifle. The after-market slug barrel I purchased contains internal grooves, or rifling, that imparts a stabilizing spin to the single projectile, so that it flies straight for far greater distances than standard shotgun pellets, before impacting the target and deforming into a very wide mushroom shape that creates gigantic would channels capable of dropping a buffalo or an elephant in its tracks, if that impact occurs within say 150 yards, before the energy of the round tapers off to non-lethal levels.

While some slug guns have smooth barrels similar to a regular shotgun, the greatest level of accuracy is best obtained by going with a rifled barrel, as I did with my Winchester that I also fitted with a scope, to better serve its role as a tool of negotiation with BIG and MEAN critters. Interestingly, the slug barrel I purchased turned out to be noticeably shorter in length than the stock smooth-bore barrel that came with the gun when new, in contrast with the slug barrel that you mentioned having used.

Aloha

I am not a shotgun fan, truth be told, I almost bought the keltec shotgun:

http://2koxr21v8cz72s8ohk24upp8.wpengine.netdna-cdn.com/files/2015/04/ksg1.jpg

I can't really say much about shotguns apart from what I know and what I have used. I use my remington 700 VTR in .308 calibre for hunting. I have hit a dow at 547 yards with a clean shot from the driver window of a pickup. I target practice regularly at 600 yards.

I boar hunt with my AR 15 which works like a charm grin

2 Likes

Re: How Can One Legally Own Fire Arm In Nigeria? by alexis(m): 6:07am On Aug 30, 2016
Jakumo:

The conversion of shotgun to slug gun could be likened to the conversion of a scatter-gun to a rifle. The after-market slug barrel I purchased contains internal grooves, or rifling, that imparts a stabilizing spin to the single projectile, so that it flies straight and true for far greater distances than standard shotgun pellets, before impacting the target and deforming into a very wide mushroom shape that creates gigantic wound channels capable of dropping a buffalo or an elephant in its tracks, if that impact occurs within say 150 yards, before the energy of the round tapers off to non-lethal levels.

Aloha

You buffalo hunt? You must be rich man grin.

In between, I think slugs are great. Like I said, I almost got the ksg. Each barrel carries 7 rounds. One of my buddies had one where he put load a slug and then 2/3 buck-shots and another slug. The idea is what the slug always bunch a whole in the wall, and the buck-shot does the damage grin
Re: How Can One Legally Own Fire Arm In Nigeria? by Charmarlegne: 6:41am On Aug 30, 2016
Some people here talking crap don't realize how insecure Nigeria is. Legalizing firearms is the way to go. For instance, I have property in ikorodu but the recent cultist induced violence, ritual killings and kidnappings is giving me serious second thoughts about moving in. Legalizing guns is like the scenario we have now where a lot of countries have nuclear weapons. What are the chances of WW3 happening? Nil if you ask me. Reason? A small country with nuclear weapons will cause serious damage to even an America or Russia. My point is trouble makers will avoid you, if they know they will meet lethal resistance.

1 Like

Re: How Can One Legally Own Fire Arm In Nigeria? by chronique(m): 8:45am On Aug 30, 2016
What's the name of this one and is it legal to own it? Been wanting to own one for some time for security purpose.
GBTYO:

It's illegal to own a pump.

I will prefer buck shots fired from this monster

Re: How Can One Legally Own Fire Arm In Nigeria? by datigbogirl: 9:14am On Aug 30, 2016
nkemdi89:
Contact a police man, hunter or a vigilante member for purchase, or make friend with the Dpo or armourer of any police division close to you, so that they will also help you in the purchase or facilitation of the licence. Make sure you are legit in your dealings and join PCRC too. Go for a brand new one so that you won't be accuse of sourcing from a criminal.

You sound like you own one...
Re: How Can One Legally Own Fire Arm In Nigeria? by datigbogirl: 9:20am On Aug 30, 2016
sisisioge:

Wowzer! Babaejima got my attention with his vivid description of the guns, you on the other hand have my absolutely attention with your knowledge of the devices. Hmmmm, wetin I sabi? I just know that I would take down any moffoo threatening mine or my family's lives albeit I clamour for peace.

Typical yoruba clamoring for peace where there's none...

If you want peace, prepare for war.... Peace is created and maintained by the art of war not by begging.... Bin Laden would still be a terror to the world if America clamored for peace the way you're doing... They shot the mofoo down the way ISIS is being decimated on a daily basis... The heart of man is too wicked to be begging it... Better destroy him and have your much desired peace.
Re: How Can One Legally Own Fire Arm In Nigeria? by MielBaker(m): 9:41am On Aug 30, 2016
papaejima1:
Yea, a pump action is the koko against a Fulani invader.
I even prefer it to the AK47 in home defence.
While the Ak seems invincible in the hands of an attacker due to its automatic and rapid fire feature, its accuracy is just about 100yrds. The pump action in contrast can do a 300-400 yard shot but its accuracy is not what I am interested in, it is its ability to spit up to 9-20 pellets in the general direction of any invader that I find inviting.

When the invaders come, just put yourself in an area where you won't be hit by direct fire, then draw your box of cartidges close, load up, raise you gun point it in the general direction and let loose. If you can get the 8 round semi auto version then bros you are on the gravy train. With one shot you can fell both the invader and several of his cows!

It is popularly believed that the distinctive sound of a pump action being cycled carries an inherent deterrent effect. grin grin cheesy

Do anyhow, see anyhow!

U be the actor for this action film.....
Re: How Can One Legally Own Fire Arm In Nigeria? by iHustle336: 10:10am On Aug 30, 2016
Haba! Do I really need to be 35 or above?
dadaha:
This should help
https://www.nairaland.com/3159808/urgent-need-gun

Re: How Can One Legally Own Fire Arm In Nigeria? by Pylony(m): 12:31pm On Aug 30, 2016
khadaffi:

That's the painful part. Nigeria law does not recognize gun for protection of property. So you are not allowed to move with it. You have to be a hunter to own one or you can lie you are one just to get a license. Plus. those nonsense guns are what is permitted. What I see is that this is just a way of keeping the masses in check. Our elites are always afraid and they have guns regardless of what the law says.
In Nigeria laws are meant only for the masses.
Re: How Can One Legally Own Fire Arm In Nigeria? by babaireti(m): 5:08pm On Aug 30, 2016
Serious
Re: How Can One Legally Own Fire Arm In Nigeria? by papaejima1: 6:06pm On Aug 30, 2016
claremont:

Hahaha cheesy. Some of the people who quoted your erroneous comment are serving or veterans of some of the best Armies in the world, some of them have trained recruits on different weapon systems. You just google up stuff from dodgy websites that you know absolutely nothing about. My last comment on this.
Yea right.
grin
Re: How Can One Legally Own Fire Arm In Nigeria? by papaejima1: 6:22pm On Aug 30, 2016
alexis:

Which one be effective? The guys is talking about accuracy. The reason is simple, the AK47 is made up of very few simple metal parts. It is very easy to assemble and disassemble. Because of these simple metal parts, it loses accuracy with recoil and it's harmonics are disturbed when it rides the railings and hit the back of the rifle.

Also, the hand rail is mostly made of wood which affects it during the heat and even in winter. Same reason it is harder for your door to open during the dry season and summer.

If the argument was that it is durable, then yes - the AK 47 is simple, durable and reliable simply because it has fewer parts. It has a decent calibre in the 7.62 by 39 which can pass through concrete blocks at close range. However, it is not an accurate weapon. The AR15 platform is a much better accurate weapon.

Simple put, I would prefer my enemies all have AK 47 at a long distance fight. At close quarters, they are deadly smiley
Wow bro I am just seeing your post. Nice to know. I since gave up on dudes who have been harping on the accuracy of an AK in active combat situations and not even on bench rest case!
I read a story about an American commander walking around unperturbed making adjustments to his men while a horde of Iraqis fired at them with AK 47s from 600 yards without so much as getting a bullet within yards of the americans.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply)

Nigerians React To Missing $26bil From NNPC / 5 Killed At Buhari’s Rally In Taraba, Governor Ishaku’s Convoy Attacked - Nation / Shehu Sani Withdraws From APC Senatorial Primaries In Kaduna

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 88
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.