Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,414 members, 7,808,478 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 12:33 PM

Title modified: 5 things to consider before buying any latest laptop - Computers - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Computers / Title modified: 5 things to consider before buying any latest laptop (3739 Views)

Useful Tips To Consider Before Buying A Second-hand Laptop / Hp 15 Latest Laptop 500GB For Sale / 6 Things To Consider Before Buying A Laptop In Nigeria (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Title modified: 5 things to consider before buying any latest laptop by Nobody: 11:18pm On Aug 30, 2016
It's normal for people to upgrade, go for the lastest gadget in town with new technology.
As an Engineer have seen a lot of people going for new laptops made by big tech giant in the industry, most people prefer the flat, good looking type of laptop.

However, being vogue doesn't guarantee good and long lasting performance, below are the reasons why you shouldn't go for the latest laptops produce by these manufacturers.

1. They come with on-board processor

There are lots of processor types with each perfoming it own functions in the laptop, each type comes in different price range.

A core i7 processor will be more expensive than a Pentium or AMD processor, manufacturers have resort to building laptops with on-board processor, this will certainly hinder you from upgrading to a new processor to increase the performance of your laptop.

If your mother board comes with a core i3 processor, you will have to buy a new motherboard when you decide to upgrade it processor.

2. They are build with on-board memory

Memory helps to increase your laptop speed, without the memory your laptop will never display, this goes to show how important the memory is on your laptop.

However, some latest laptop comes with on-board memory, take for example. Your memory develops a fault and you want to quickly change it to a new one or better still upgrade it size, this will definitely be a problem because it is not removeable.

3. In-built battery.

Backup is a necessity for a laptop, without the backup users will not be able to use the laptop when there is power outage or move around with it to get thier job done.

Most of the latest laptop comes with in-built battery which are very expensive to buy, should it case the one that came with develop a fault.

I remember getting a new in-built battery for a client at 15,000 , you're suprise? That's half of the price of a used laptop.

4. Parts are expensive

You will agree with me that a 2012 laptop will never go for the same amounts as those produced in 2015/2016.

Latest laptops are expensive to purchase, this is also why it parts are expensive,some laptops part are rear, to get the part you will have to order for it from the manufacturer.

Also read
7 things to look out for when buying a used laptop

I remember helping a client to ask for the price of his laptop motherboard, guess how much I was told it cost?
It goes for 55,000. That's a price of a used core i3 laptop for a new motherboard.

5. Poor customer care services.

Gadgets come with warranty, this is one of the reasons why most users go for new laptops.
Warranty assures you that your gadget will be taken care of if it develops any fault within the warranty period.

However, users do get dissapointed when they find out that, there is no warranty on their product.
Now let me explain this to you, when this wholesalers stock their wares, sometime it takes more than a year before they could sell all the stocks ,and when you later buy it from them, the warranty would have expired.

This will make it difficult for you to claim your warranty, when you take your laptop to them, they will refer you to service centre, now this service center will either tell you your laptop doesn't cover their region (they won't collect it from you) or keep it and tell you to keep coming back till it takes up to 3months or more which you will later get frustrated .

Bonus

6. They are fragile

Every company want profit and when products have more sales, certainly there will be more profit for the organization.

These manufacturers don't build strong laptops anymore, they produce fragile system that is prone to electric damage.

Apart from this, it chassis are not well build and easily get damage when mistakenly drop on the floor.

I have about 3 new Lenovo laptops in my office that are not working due to motherboard problem,according to the client service centre have refuse to accept it because it's not in this region.

If your laptop is from Brazil region, will you take it to Brazil just to get it repair? Definitely No, hopefully I'll get it repaired soon.

Conclusion

Latest laptops are not build with strong motherboard or chassis unlike it old models which come with good parts.

In other to avoid facing what I listed above, always do a research on the laptop you want to buy, check for pros and cons and other user experience before going for it.
If you think i miss something, and want to share your opinion, use the comment box let's make it interactive and also don't forget to use the share button.

http://udemzytech..com/2016/08/5-things-to-consider-before-buying-any-latest-laptop.html

2 Likes

Re: Title modified: 5 things to consider before buying any latest laptop by helpsystem: 11:35pm On Aug 30, 2016
Ok. Noted
Re: Title modified: 5 things to consider before buying any latest laptop by AKBliv010(m): 1:05am On Aug 31, 2016
udemzy101:
It's normal for people to upgrade, go for the lastest gadget in town with new technology....

Silkmoth33 Lana1 there's some debunking to do!

1. They come with on-board processor - The latest processors used by OEM's like Dell, HP etc are not available to customers so you can't buy them which means they can't be replaced by retail customers. The motherboards in OEM products are custom built and made specifically for a certain shell so in most cases you can't upgrade the motherboard.

2. They are built with on-board memory - AFAIK only the cheap models come with the system memory soldered to the motherboard an example is my Asus X202E..more expensive laptops allow the system memory to be upgraded. Apple Macbook Pro's for instance can be upgraded. If you mean the graphics card, then gaming laptops allow the graphic card to be changed, albeit it is soldered to a daughterboard.

3 In-built battery - All laptop batteries can be changed. It either it's easily accessible or not. With issues with constant power supply, I'll recommend getting one that is easily accessible so you can carry around an extra battery pack.

4. Part are expensive #500 today won't have the same value as #500 in 3 years. One factor that makes it seem expensive is wages not going up in line with inflation. With improvement in technology, prices actually reduce. For example, I remember the cost of a 500GB hard drive a few years ago was steep, with the same money you can buy a 1TB-2TB today.

5. Poor customer care services. Manufacturers will always honour warranty claims, it's the retailer that sometimes chooses to be stubborn. As long as you have proof of purchase within the warranty period, manufacturers will always honour it. Get in touch with them directly if the authorised retailer is not co-operative.

I'll let you have number 6...they use cheaper plastic this days, although one can argue the technological advancements in making plastic is much better. If you doubt this, let me have your email, i'll forward you a presentation from a Rubber seminar I attended a few month ago.

In most cases, there isn't any significant benefit getting the latest as the performance increase between generations is not much. For instance the IPC ( instruction -per-cycle) of a 4th gen Intel i7 CPU is around 10% slower than a 6th Gen Intel i7

1 Like

Re: Title modified: 5 things to consider before buying any latest laptop by Nobody: 1:50am On Aug 31, 2016
Mr. Udemzy101 listen up! There is nobody that you will advice to buy an i3 laptop in this age unless the person want use am go sell beans and bread.

You cannot simply wake up, concoct bruhaha in ur brain, sit someone down, yarn the rubbish which includes ur inexperienced technical know how, on the 'much you don't know about nothing' of the subject matter, in the hope that someone will take the bait and purchase some of those dead and buried pavillions you have in stock.

Ppl tend to purchase laptops based on preferential decisions(what the customer wants). So you have no right to be spouting this generalizing jargon.

In other words, my reasons for going for a gaming laptop would be quite different from someone who is interested only in type-writing.

And don't you say they are expensive, cos dey aren't. If u consider the components in some laptops relative to others you will marvel at the ludicrous amounts dey attach to the PCS.
Re: Title modified: 5 things to consider before buying any latest laptop by Nobody: 5:34am On Aug 31, 2016
Silkmoth33:
Mr. Udemzy101 listen up! There is nobody that you will advice to buy an i3 laptop in this age unless the person want use am go sell beans and bread.

You cannot simply wake up, concoct bruhaha in ur brain, sit someone down, yarn the rubbish which includes ur inexperienced technical know how, on the 'much you don't know about nothing' of the subject matter, in the hope that someone will take the bait and purchase some of those dead and buried pavillions you have in stock.

Ppl tend to purchase laptops based on preferential decisions(what the customer wants). So you have no right to be spouting this generalizing jargon.

In other words, my reasons for going for a gaming laptop would be quite different from someone who is interested only in type-writing.

And don't you say they are expensive, cos dey aren't. If u consider the components in some laptops relative to others you will marvel at the ludicrous amounts dey attach to the PCS.

I don't know why you're getting all work up, but remember for every advantage there is a disadvantage, I'm just writing this base on the disadvantage level.

After all my post won't stop mr A from buying whatever he wants to if he decide to..
Re: Title modified: 5 things to consider before buying any latest laptop by Nobody: 6:00am On Aug 31, 2016
AKBliv010:

Silkmoth33 Lana1 there's some debunking to do!

1. They come with on-board processor - The latest processors used by OEM's like Dell, HP etc are not available to customers so you can't buy them which means they can't be replaced by retail customers. The motherboards in OEM products are custom built and made specifically for a certain shell so in most cases you can't upgrade the motherboard.

2. They are built with on-board memory - AFAIK only the cheap models come with the system memory soldered to the motherboard an example is my Asus X202E..more expensive laptops allow the system memory to be upgraded. Apple Macbook Pro's for instance can be upgraded. If you mean the graphics card, then gaming laptops allow the graphic card to be changed, albeit it is soldered to a daughterboard.

3 In-built battery - All laptop batteries can be changed. It either it's easily accessible or not. With issues with constant power supply, I'll recommend getting one that is easily accessible so you can carry around an extra battery pack.

4. Part are expensive #500 today won't have the same value as #500 in 3 years. One factor that makes it seem expensive is wages not going up in line with inflation. With improvement in technology, prices actually reduce. For example, I remember the cost of a 500GB hard drive a few years ago was steep, with the same money you can buy a 1TB-2TB today.

5. Poor customer care services. Manufacturers will always honour warranty claims, it's the retailer that sometimes chooses to be stubborn. As long as you have proof of purchase within the warranty period, manufacturers will always honour it. Get in touch with them directly if the authorised retailer is not co-operative.

I'll let you have number 6...they use cheaper plastic this days, although one can argue the technological advancements in making plastic is much better. If you doubt this, let me have your email, i'll forward you a presentation from a Rubber seminar I attended a few month ago.

In most cases, there isn't any significant benefit getting the latest as the performance increase between generations is not much. For instance the IPC ( instruction -per-cycle) of a 4th gen Intel i7 CPU is around 10% slower than a 6th Gen Intel i7

You and the person you mentioned have not said anything reasonable that can convince someone, pls do come up with something convincing.

1. You said the latest processor are not available for sale, my question is what if you decide to upgrade?

2. Whether cheap or expensive, the question do they come with on-board memory, the question is yes, and if you buy it will you be able to upgrade?

3. I never said they can never be changed, the question is are they expensive or not, can you compare an inbuilt battery amount to a normal battery?

4. Whether inflation or not, can you compare the part of HP 15 laptop to the part of Compaq 610? Just giving you an example.

5. I know there is warranty in some cases but not on the scenario I made on my first post, have you ever take your new laptop to a service centre before?
I can give you many scenario or even contacts to call to confirm.

6. I'm waiting for it.

On your conclusion, I'm glad you understand there is no much significant because performance increase is not much.

Silkmoth33 my question to you is ,have you ever think about the disadvantage of getting something before?
If no,then I'll advice you start considering.

A lot of people do go for latest laptops, you will agree with me that most of the laptops produce some years back don't come with on-board memory, processor or in-built battery.

This post doesn't, stop anybody from getting one,because at the end of my post, I advice intending buyers to make research about any latest laptop they want to buy.

Take for instance, I won't advice my client to get HP 15 Pentium laptop,cos it has no fan and comes with on-board processor,my boss bought more than 30 hp15 Pentium board And within 1month and half he sold everything, just ask yourself why it's so.

A laptop with Pentium can easily be upgraded to core i3, but since it's on-board, you'll have to get a new board.

These manufacturers don't want you to start buying parts, they want you to get new ones, that's the way I see it.

Mr Silkmoth33 I want you to also listen up, anybody can get a core2duo, core i3, core i5 or core i7 laptop depending on whatever he or she want to use it for, you can't expect a blogger to get a core i7 laptop, for what naa? Except he have something else he want to use it for.

Anyway, that's the only reasonable thing I can pick from what you wrote, cos it seems you were angry while typing, I see no reason why you should.

Not all latest laptop comes with on-board processor, on-board ram etc ,that's why I said, make your research well before buying.

If you have something reasonable to post pls do and stop ranting. .thanks

2 Likes

Re: Title modified: 5 things to consider before buying any latest laptop by Nobody: 6:24am On Aug 31, 2016
udemzy101:

You and the person you mentioned have not said anything reasonable that can convince someone, pls do come up with something convincing.

1. You said the latest processor are not available for sale, my question is what if you decide to upgrade?

2. Whether cheap or expensive, the question do they come with on-board memory, the question is yes, and if you buy it will you be able to upgrade?

3. I never said they can never be changed, the question is are they expensive or not, can you compare an inbuilt battery amount to a normal battery?

4. Whether inflation or not, can you compare the part of HP 15 laptop to the part of Compaq 610? Just giving you an example.

5. I know there is warranty in some cases but not on the scenario I made on my first post, have you ever take your new laptop to a service centre before?
I can give you many scenario or even contacts to call to confirm.

6. I'm waiting for it.

On your conclusion, I'm glad you understand there is no much significant because performance increase is not much.

Silkmoth33 my question to you is ,have you ever think about the disadvantage of getting something before?
If no,then I'll advice you start considering.

A lot of people do go for latest laptops, you will agree with me that most of the laptops produce some years back don't come with on-board memory, processor or in-built battery.

This post doesn't, stop anybody from getting one,because at the end of my post, I advice intending buyers to make research about any latest laptop they want to buy.

Take for instance, I won't advice my client to get HP 15 Pentium laptop,cos it has no fan and comes with on-board processor,my boss bought more than 30 hp15 Pentium board And within 1month and half he sold everything, just ask yourself why it's so.

A laptop with Pentium can easily be upgraded to core i3, but since it's on-board, you'll have to get a new board.

These manufacturers don't want you to start buying parts, they want you to get new ones, that's the way I see it.

Mr Silkmoth33 I want you to also listen up, anybody can get a core2duo, core i3, core i5 or core i7 laptop depending on whatever he or she want to use it for, you can't expect a blogger to get a core i7 laptop, for what naa? Except he have something else he want to use it for.

Anyway, that's the only reasonable thing I can pick from what you wrote, cos it seems you were angry while typing, I see no reason why you should.

Not all latest laptop comes with on-board processor, on-board ram etc ,that's why I said, make your research well before buying.

If you have something reasonable to post pls do and stop ranting. .thanks

Would u keep quiet there. Your case is dat of the boy wey dem carry go market on hin birthday. Hin mama say make hin buy any cloth, nah hin de idiot go "bend down select". Here are reasons why a blogger would go for an I7.

1) Gaming
2) Blogging about PC games
3) Blogging about maxed out performance on the lappy
4) Vlogging on youtube
5) Video editing.
Personal reasons as ur blood-shot eyez can see, but knowing you, you will remain adamant

So why won't a blogger go for an I7 again?
Re: Title modified: 5 things to consider before buying any latest laptop by Nobody: 7:17am On Aug 31, 2016
Silkmoth33:

Would u keep quiet there. Your case is dat of the boy wey dem carry go market on hin birthday. Hin mama say make hin buy any cloth, nah hin de idiot go "bend down select". Here are reasons why a blogger would go for an I7.

1) Gaming
2) Blogging about PC games
3) Blogging about maxed out performance on the lappy
4) Vlogging on youtube
5) Video editing.
Personal reasons as ur blood-shot eyez can see, but knowing you, you will remain adamant

So why won't a blogger go for an I7 again?

You're inexperience, I'll quit reply you cos your problem is comprehension.

Gragra na your problem, claiming to know it all.
Re: Title modified: 5 things to consider before buying any latest laptop by computerboy: 7:19am On Aug 31, 2016
This is how you people confuse laptop buyers with pack of lies just to get traffic. You bloggers are ruining the internet community (where people are supposed to gain knowledge) with unfounded hypotheses. That's why when someone tell me "I saw it on the Internet" I ask, "which website?"

1 Like

Re: Title modified: 5 things to consider before buying any latest laptop by Nobody: 7:21am On Aug 31, 2016
udemzy101:

You're inexperience, I'll quit reply you cos your problem is comprehension.

Gragra na your problem, claiming to know it all.

The word that best describes your thought process isnt inexperienced, it's clueless!
Re: Title modified: 5 things to consider before buying any latest laptop by Nobody: 7:23am On Aug 31, 2016
computerboy:
This is how you people confuse laptop buyers with pack of lies just to get traffic. You bloggers are ruining the internet community (where people are supposed to gain knowledge) with unfounded hypotheses. That's why when someone tell me "I saw it on the Internet" I ask, "which website?"

Where is the lies there naa, kindly refute whatever I post there naa, haba that's one of the reasons this country is not moving forward.

You post something, instead of the other person to come up with good reasons to counter what you post, you'll end up reading subjective opinions.
Re: Title modified: 5 things to consider before buying any latest laptop by Nobody: 7:23am On Aug 31, 2016
This is what ur mates are buying.

click

Re: Title modified: 5 things to consider before buying any latest laptop by Nobody: 7:25am On Aug 31, 2016
Silkmoth33:

The word that best describes your thought process isnt inexperienced, it's clueless!

The person that mentioned you at first made more sense than you. If anyone should read any of your post, they consider you as unserious person with gragra(as Nigerians call it)
Re: Title modified: 5 things to consider before buying any latest laptop by Nobody: 7:32am On Aug 31, 2016
Like I said in my first post, let's make this interactive ,stop posting your subjective opinions.

Pls through my post, including the one I quote the guy stalking me.

This are my own objective opinion, this is what have noticed and like I said not all latest laptops come with the things i mentioned, I also said one should make a good research before buying.

Except if you steal the money or work in government house, I see no reason why you will buy a laptop worth 150,000-250,000 only to repair it within some months due to motherboard failure.

If your laptop comes with 2GB on-board and you want to upgrade to 4GB how will you do that?
Pls don't just comment base on the topic, read it and give your objective opinion
Re: Title modified: 5 things to consider before buying any latest laptop by Nobody: 7:41am On Aug 31, 2016
Once thought to be replaced by tablets, the extinction of laptops is no longer a concern. Thanks in part to the debut of Windows 10, Nvidia's Pascal graphics cards and forthcoming Kaby Lake processors have also played a part in the foldable computer's continued success.

Between gaming laptops that hook up to liquid-coolers, thin and light Ultrabooks and incredibly affordable Chromebooks, the best laptops are more plentiful and diverse than ever. Heck, some manufacturers like Razer are combining thin-and-light form factors with heavy duty video capabilities.

With ample variety to choose from, finding a laptop that suits your needs can be a puzzling decision. Those who crave fast bootup times on a lightweight, portable machine might drool over an Ultrabook. Serious gamers, on the other hand, will gravitate towards gaming laptops tailoring to their processing and graphical needs. Meanwhile, those after flexibility might fancy a convertible laptop-tablet hybrid.

Whatever the case may be, the best laptops around aren't hard to find as evidenced by our on-the-house list below.

1. Dell XPS 13

Dell's latest Ultrabook is a masterpiece ahead of the curve

CPU: Intel Core i5 – i7 | Graphics: Intel HD Graphics 520 – Intel Iris Graphics 540 | RAM: 4GB – 8GB | Screen: 13.3-inch FH (1,920 x 1,080) – QHD+ (3,200 x 1,800) | Storage: 128GB – 256GB SSD

$639.99

The Dell XPS 13 is, bar none, the best laptop you can buy today. It features a revolutionary design that's astonishingly thin and light. Fitting a 13.3-inch screen into an 11-inch frame is no small feat; however, Dell has pulled off a miracle creating a nearly borderless Infinity display. It's a powerful and long lasting machine even by today's Ultrabook standards. The XPS 13 comes outfitted with Intel's latest Skylake processors plus lighting, quick storage and memory, all while coming in at a very affordable starting price. For these reasons, it easily takes the top slot as the best Ultrabook, the best Windows laptop and the best overall laptop.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Title modified: 5 things to consider before buying any latest laptop by Nobody: 7:52am On Aug 31, 2016
Silkmoth33:
This is what ur mates are buying.

click

That laptop does not come with on-board processor or on-board ram.

No company will ever produced such gaming laptop with on-board ram or processor.

Apart from the in-built battery, the laptop is a good buy, also want to make this clear to you.

After listing my point, I said buyers should make a research and read other users review.

Re: Title modified: 5 things to consider before buying any latest laptop by Nobody: 8:12am On Aug 31, 2016
2. Asus ZenBook UX305

Better than the MacBook and at a fraction of the price

CPU: Intel Core Intel Core M3-6Y30 – M7-6Y75 | Graphics: Intel HD Graphics 515 | RAM: 8GB | Screen: 13.3-inch, FHD (1,920 x 1,080) – QHD+ (3200 x 1800) IPS display | Storage: 256GB – 512GB SSD

$425.00

If you're looking for a Windows alternative to Apple's latest rose-tinted MacBook, the Asus ZenBook UX305 might be more your speed. Though it looks like a MacBook clone from every angle, it's actually superior in almost every way. From its purple-tinged aluminum design to its sharp display and hearty helping of built-in storage space, the UX305 puts Windows back in style, fanless design, long battery life and all. And, while the low-cost is enticing, if you're shopping for something with a bit more horsepower (not to mention an even more compact design), look no further than the Asus ZenBook 3.

1 Like

Re: Title modified: 5 things to consider before buying any latest laptop by AKBliv010(m): 8:18am On Aug 31, 2016
Your review is absolutely useless because you've taken a class of people like Silkmoth33 said , and given reasons why they should buy the latest. Clearly this is targeted for akara sellers.

You use the phrase, "they come with on-board processor/memory" ...what electronic device doesn't? This is nonsense. Modern laptops have their CPU's soldered to the motherboard to save space. How can they boast of light weight laptops with a desktop-sized chip that requires more surface area. Is what tech does, devices shrink because of advancements in working with silicon wafers.

Don't confuse people with your rubbish guy. Already you've got 3 people with the know-how critiquing your article with substantial arguments. That should be enough already to take the original post down.
Re: Title modified: 5 things to consider before buying any latest laptop by Nobody: 8:28am On Aug 31, 2016
3. Toshiba Chromebook 2

One of the best looking and most powerful Chromebooks

CPU: Intel Celeron – Core i3-5015U | Graphics: Intel HD Graphics – HD Graphics 5500 | RAM: 4GB | Screen: 13.3-inch, 1,920 x 1,090 | Storage: 16GB eMMC

$184.78

The Toshiba Chromebook 2 is the best pick if you're looking for a sharp screen and fast machine without the hassle of Windows. Instead, you're greeted by the familiar browsing experience of Chrome OS packaged inside a sleek full HD display. Powered by an outrageously powerful (given the circumstances) Intel Core i3 processor and 4GB of RAM, we wouldn't blame you for chasing the lower-end Celeron SKU of the same laptop. Either way, though, you're in for a treat as the 13-inch Toshiba Chromebook 2 is one of the most enticing Chrome OS machines available today, running just as fast as the dramatically overpowered Chromebook Pixel 2.

1 Like

Re: Title modified: 5 things to consider before buying any latest laptop by Nobody: 8:38am On Aug 31, 2016
The remaining 12 are in this link. All new and for differing uses.

click
Re: Title modified: 5 things to consider before buying any latest laptop by AKBliv010(m): 8:40am On Aug 31, 2016
udemzy101:
Like I said in my first post, let's make this interactive ,stop posting your subjective opinions.

Pls through my post, including the one I quote the guy stalking me.

This are my own objective opinion, this is what have noticed and like I said not all latest laptops come with the things i mentioned, I also said one should make a good research before buying.

Except if you steal the money or work in government house, I see no reason why you will buy a laptop worth 150,000-250,000 only to repair it within some months due to motherboard failure.

If your laptop comes with 2GB on-board and you want to upgrade to 4GB how will you do that?
Pls don't just comment base on the topic, read it and give your objective opinion

Then in your article you should clearly state to the reader in your original post that you have limited knowlegde of what you saying.

I will tag you, and debunk any rubbish you are postin online.

Infact, let me check out your blogpost entries.
Re: Title modified: 5 things to consider before buying any latest laptop by Nobody: 8:44am On Aug 31, 2016
For Hardcore Gamers!

Don't even bother telling your friends you want to buy a gaming laptop. "Just build a desktop," they'll suggest. But you know better. You have the money to spare and putting hours into building your own desktop is more trouble than it's worth. You want to get to the fun part: playing games. A warranty that covers the entire product rather than a small set of parts is simply an added bonus.

Being able to take your rig on the go, complete with a built-in monitor and keyboard, however, isn't cheap. A decent gaming laptop starts at about $1,400 (about £900). That's on the low end. If you want to play 4K games at a consistent frame rate, you can expect to pay over $3,000 (around £1,900, AU$4,000) for qualifying hardware. Fortunately, this could soon change thanks to AMD's low-cost Polaris GPUs and Nvidia's insanely powerful-for-the-price Pascal cards.
Factor in the cost of your monitor, keyboard, mouse and potential hazards, and a gaming laptop might be more suited to your needs. We know you eat, sleep and breathe gaming, but fiddling with cables and being tied down to a desk sporting an encumbering brute of a machine can be intimidating.

Gaming laptops are sleeker and more powerful than ever, with many of them featuring full-fledged desktop GPUs. What's more, some of them even have the battery lives to support the massive workload. Here you'll find the gaming laptop that's best for you, from the ever-evolving Razer Blade to the ostensibly immortal Alienware 17.

1. Origin EON15-X

A desktop-grade CPU in an unbeatable gaming laptop

CPU: Intel Core i5 - i7 | Graphics: Nvidia GeForce GTX 1060 - 1070 | RAM: 8GB - 64GB | Screen: 15.6-inch, FHD (1,920 x 1,080) - UHD (3840 x 2160) LED Backlit Matte Display | Storage: 120GB - 1TB SSD; 500GB - 2TB HDD; 1TB SSHD

The Origin EON15-X is a real head turner. Packing a desktop Skylake processor into a fairly compact 15.6-inch notebook that, Origin's greatest offers even more performance than some full-size gaming rigs.

This extra CPU power is handy for users who need to edit video and other processor intensive tasks that a mobile chip can't handle. You'll also get an extra kick of performance no matter what game you're running. Combined with a powerful GPU and a not-so-shabby battery life, the Origin EON15-X is definitely worth consideration over all others.

Re: Title modified: 5 things to consider before buying any latest laptop by Nobody: 8:46am On Aug 31, 2016
2. Gigabyte P35X v5

Underneath the plain exterior lies a 4K gaming beast

CPU: Intel Core i7 | Graphics: Nvidia GeForce GTX 980M 8GB GDDR5 | RAM: 8GB - 16GB | Screen: 15.6-inch, FHD (1,920 x 1,080) - UHD (3840 x 2160), IPS LCD | Storage: 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD

$2099.00

The Gigabyte P35X v5 is a monumentally capable, 4K gaming laptop equipped with specs nearly high enough to support it. While even most desktops lack the strength to pull off 4K gaming, this 15-inch rig is as close as you'll get with a laptop. Upgradeable to an Intel i7 processor and 8GB Nvidia GTX 980M, the P35X v5 may sound like a workout technique, but it can actually handle 4K gaming if you're willing to tone down the graphics settings. Plus, it even packs a battery life longer than the considerably less powerful Ghost Pro and Acer Predator 17. If Ultra HD gaming without being tied to a desk is your goal, look no further.

Re: Title modified: 5 things to consider before buying any latest laptop by Nobody: 8:49am On Aug 31, 2016
3. Lenovo Ideapad Y700 15-inch

An attractive and long lasting 15-inch gaming laptop

CPU: Intel Core i5 - i7 | Graphics: Nvidia GeForce GTX 960M 2GB - 4GB DDR5 VRAM | RAM: 8GB - 16GB DDR4 (2,133MHz) | Screen: 15.6-inch FHD LED AntiGlare Backlit Multitouch (1,920 x 1,080) | Storage: 128GB - 512GB SSD, 1TB HDD (5,400 RPM)

$939.5

Entry-level gaming laptops are a great introduction into the glorious world of PC gaming, and from performance to looks, it's hard to beat the Lenovo Ideapad Y700. It's an inexpensive machine that stands out amongst other budget gaming machines with its all metal chassis and included SSD. It also comes packed with enough power to run modern games at decent settings.

Re: Title modified: 5 things to consider before buying any latest laptop by AKBliv010(m): 8:50am On Aug 31, 2016
Silkmoth33:
2. Gigabyte P35X v5

Underneath the plain exterior lies a 4K gaming beast

CPU: Intel Core i7 | Graphics: Nvidia GeForce GTX 980M 8GB GDDR5 | RAM: 8GB - 16GB | Screen: 15.6-inch, FHD (1,920 x 1,080) - UHD (3840 x 2160), IPS LCD | Storage: 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD

$2099.00

The Gigabyte P35X v5 is a monumentally capable, 4K gaming laptop equipped with specs nearly high enough to support it. While even most desktops lack the strength to pull off 4K gaming, this 15-inch rig is as close as you'll get with a laptop. Upgradeable to an Intel i7 processor and 8GB Nvidia GTX 980M, the P35X v5 may sound like a workout technique, but it can actually handle 4K gaming if you're willing to tone down the graphics settings. Plus, it even packs a battery life longer than the considerably less powerful Ghost Pro and Acer Predator 17. If Ultra HD gaming without being tied to a desk is your goal, look no further.

Guy, you don try abeg, this OP no fit do research before him begin post e opinions. I just read another article. He is leaving himself open to be ridiculed. https://www.nairaland.com/3272889/how-make-new-hp-15
Re: Title modified: 5 things to consider before buying any latest laptop by Nobody: 8:50am On Aug 31, 2016
For more awesome gaming laptops check out!

this link
Re: Title modified: 5 things to consider before buying any latest laptop by Nobody: 9:30am On Aug 31, 2016
AKBliv010:

Then in your article you should clearly state to the reader in your original post that you have limited knowlegde of what you saying.

I will tag you, and debunk any rubbish you are postin online.

Infact, let me check out your blogpost entries.

What do u mean by limited knowledge, you counter my post only to post what doesn't make sense to an intending buyer, cos you're a gamer doesn't mean you know a lot about laptops.

Stop Displaying your ignorance online, if you have a comprehension problem, I'll advice you go back to school.
Re: Title modified: 5 things to consider before buying any latest laptop by Nobody: 9:34am On Aug 31, 2016
I wonder why some people find pleasure in displaying their ignorance online, what has my post got to do with Gaming PC?

I never made mention of gaming PC, you're a gamer fine, open your own thread and start posting.

Everything shouldn't be about the advantage, let's look at things from the other angel too.

I'll stop replying you and your mate
Re: Title modified: 5 things to consider before buying any latest laptop by AKBliv010(m): 10:17am On Aug 31, 2016
udemzy101:

What do u mean by limited knowledge, you counter my post only to post what doesn't make sense to an intending buyer, cos you're a gamer doesn't mean you know a lot about laptops.

Stop Displaying your ignorance online, if you have a comprehension problem, I'll advice you go back to school.

Cos I'm a gamer? Haha! I've had to time to go through the other posts you've created, you should take time to go through mine before drawing conclusions.
Re: Title modified: 5 things to consider before buying any latest laptop by africanboy(m): 1:48pm On Aug 31, 2016
@udemzy101, are you saying buying latest laptops is bad? Because I buy recent laptops and don't have issues with them. As a matter of fact, I won't buy a laptop older than a year. It is almost like advising me to buy a Plasma TV or God forbid a CRT.... instead of LED.

I should ignore processor and power optimization just to buy an old laptop? Please stop it.

3 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Title modified: 5 things to consider before buying any latest laptop by Nobody: 2:47pm On Aug 31, 2016
africanboy:
@udemzy101, are you saying buying latest laptops is bad? Because I buy recent laptops and don't have issues with them. As a matter of fact, I won't buy a laptop older than a year. It is almost like advising me to buy a Plasma TV or God forbid a CRT.... instead of LED.

I should ignore processor and power optimization just to buy an old laptop? Please stop it.
OK sir
Re: Title modified: 5 things to consider before buying any latest laptop by Lana1(m): 7:29pm On Sep 02, 2016
udemzy101:
It's normal for people to upgrade, go for the lastest gadget in town with new technology.
As an Engineer have seen a lot of people going for new laptops made by big tech giant in the industry, most people prefer the flat, good looking type of laptop.

However, being vogue doesn't guarantee good and long lasting performance, below are the reasons why you shouldn't go for the latest laptops produce by these manufacturers.

1. They come with on-board processor

There are lots of processor types with each perfoming it own functions in the laptop, each type comes in different price range.

A core i7 processor will be more expensive than a Pentium or AMD processor, manufacturers have resort to building laptops with on-board processor, this will certainly hinder you from upgrading to a new processor to increase the performance of your laptop.

If your mother board comes with a core i3 processor, you will have to buy a new motherboard when you decide to upgrade it processor.

2. They are build with on-board memory

Memory helps to increase your laptop speed, without the memory your laptop will never display, this goes to show how important the memory is on your laptop.

However, some latest laptop comes with on-board memory, take for example. Your memory develops a fault and you want to quickly change it to a new one or better still upgrade it size, this will definitely be a problem because it is not removeable.
What do u even mean by onboard?? Whether the processor and/or RAM is embedded to the motherboard or its fixed to a specific slot on the motherboard, shey no be still on-board?? Or where do u expect them to fix ram and cpu b4?? And i dont know what u are on about as regards RAM, coz those are the easiest components to replace in a laptop.

3. In-built battery.

Backup is a necessity for a laptop, without the backup users will not be able to use the laptop when there is power outage or move around with it to get thier job done.

Most of the latest laptop comes with in-built battery which are very expensive to buy, should it case the one that came with develop a fault.

I remember getting a new in-built battery for a client at 15,000 , you're suprise? That's half of the price of a used laptop.
U'll hardly go to tge market these days and see laptops with in-built batteries. Even if they are in-built, dat dont mean they aren't easily replaceable. Price of a battery is determined by the number of cells. So 15k is not surprising if u consider number of cells.

4. Parts are expensive

You will agree with me that a 2012 laptop will never go for the same amounts as those produced in 2015/2016.

Latest laptops are expensive to purchase, this is also why it parts are expensive,some laptops part are rear, to get the part you will have to order for it from the manufacturer.
Parts are expensive?? Is this supposed to be a surprise?? Or are u saying a 2016 Toyota wont be more expensive than a 2012 model?? This isn't news abeg. That's just how things are generally.
PC parts aren't rare. Its only in Nigeria that they are. And they are rare in Nigeria bcoz pple like u still prefer intel celeron to a core i7 bcoz the celeron is cheaper. That's why the pc(desktop & laptop) market keeps suffering in this country.

Also read
7 things to look out for when buying a used laptop

I remember helping a client to ask for the price of his laptop motherboard, guess how much I was told it cost?
It goes for 55,000. That's a price of a used core i3 laptop for a new motherboard.

5. Poor customer care services.

Gadgets come with warranty, this is one of the reasons why most users go for new laptops.
Warranty assures you that your gadget will be taken care of if it develops any fault within the warranty period.

However, users do get dissapointed when they find out that, there is no warranty on their product.
Now let me explain this to you, when this wholesalers stock their wares, sometime it takes more than a year before they could sell all the stocks ,and when you later buy it from them, the warranty would have expired.

This will make it difficult for you to claim your warranty, when you take your laptop to them, they will refer you to service centre, now this service center will either tell you your laptop doesn't cover their region (they won't collect it from you) or keep it and tell you to keep coming back till it takes up to 3months or more which you will later get frustrated.
This is a lie. It is not the manufacturers fault if products take longer on the shelves b4 they are sold. And even if ur original Warranty has expired, u can still go ahead and purchase additional one-year, two-year warranties. And considering the fact that we now ve HP, Dell, Samsung etc offices in some cities, then this isn't really a big deal.

Bonus

6. They are fragile

Every company want profit and when products have more sales, certainly there will be more profit for the organization.

These manufacturers don't build strong laptops anymore, they produce fragile system that is prone to electric damage.
Well, people should be smart enough to know that they've to get power surge protectors to go with their laptops. Some people will buy stabilizers to use with their home appliances. But ll plug in their laptops directly and will now be complaining of electric damage when their laptop spoil finish.

Apart from this, it chassis are not well build and easily get damage when mistakenly drop on the floor.
I agree with u on this. Laptops easily get damaged.
But Laptops just like phones should be handled with care. Some people will buy case and pouch for their 30k chinco phones. But leave their 150k laptops exposed, mishandling it anyhow. And when the hinge or the screen finally cracks under all that pressure, they'll start crying and ll be blaming the manufactures. Abegi!

I have about 3 new Lenovo laptops in my office that are not working due to motherboard problem,according to the client service centre have refuse to accept it because it's not in this region.

If your laptop is from Brazil region, will you take it to Brazil just to get it repair? Definitely No, hopefully I'll get it repaired soon.
Most of these manufacturers dont ve coverage in Nigeria as regards their warranty services. So its up to us here to get the parts ourselves and make the needed repairs. So this one no be news.

Conclusion

Latest laptops are not build with strong motherboard or chassis unlike it old models which come with good parts.

In other to avoid facing what I listed above, always do a research on the laptop you want to buy, check for pros and cons and other user experience before going for it.
If you think i miss something, and want to share your opinion, use the comment box let's make it interactive and also don't forget to use the share button.

http://udemzytech..com/2016/08/thinking-of-buying-latest-laptop-these-are-5-reasons-you-shouldnt-get-one.html
So bros abeg see to it that u stop trying to mislead pple with ur half baked facts into buying old model laptops with intel pentiums instead of buying newer models equipped with dual or quad core i5s etc. Thank u.

(1) (2) (Reply)

8TH GEN COREI5 ACER LAPTOP WITH 2GB NVIDIA -SOLD / Mtn Unlimited Browsing For A Whole Day : Just A Token Needed / SOLD!!!

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 143
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.