Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,385 members, 7,800,778 topics. Date: Thursday, 18 April 2024 at 06:34 AM

Installing Speed Limiters In Vehicles Does Not Make Common Sense - Car Talk (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / Installing Speed Limiters In Vehicles Does Not Make Common Sense (10350 Views)

The Right Gauge Of Engine Oil In Vehicles. / Frsc Speed Limiters, Deadline, 31st January 2017. / Reps Panel Okays Frsc’s Speed Limiters (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Installing Speed Limiters In Vehicles Does Not Make Common Sense by oluwafreshkid(m): 8:42am On Sep 01, 2016
MPVGoddess:
imagine being a passenger in the back seat of a speed limited hiace bus going downhill on Abaji Lokoja road at 100km and there is a semi behind you with failed brakes pounding his horn relentlessly.

We were coming down a steep and very long decline on I-80, just ahead of a big rig. Mind you, we were in a 4-cylinder Subaru Forester. He was suddenly right on our tail and started blasting his horn like mad. We quickly realized he had lost his brakes, so we floored it and were just barely able to stay ahead of him as we, and he, wove from one lane to the other at 100+ mph.

Other cars didn't really have time to react, which was just as well. Fortunately there wasn't much traffic, so we could maneuver, but there were too many cars to just pull into another lane an let him get by. He was driving so erratically that we were afraid he would hit us for sure if we pulled onto the shoulder. Staying ahead of him seemed the safest thing to do at the time.

At the bottom of the grade, his rig eventually slowed enough that he could get on the shoulder and let friction help his stop. I couldn't believe our Subaru could go that fast on its puny 4 cylinders. Thankfully it could.

And that is why I'm glad cars are capable of traveling at "illegal" speed.

Source: Aaron Percefull on Quora

Check the source : Quora!
They make sensitive contributions there... Nairaland users should learn from them
Re: Installing Speed Limiters In Vehicles Does Not Make Common Sense by joey150(m): 8:43am On Sep 01, 2016
Wtf is this thread about? Posting oyibo ish from quora and asking Nigerians
Re: Installing Speed Limiters In Vehicles Does Not Make Common Sense by oweniwe(m): 8:54am On Sep 01, 2016
drphantom:

A speed limiter is an electronic device installed in a car to prevent speeds over a specified limit

Oh... Thanks for clarifying.

It won't work in naija.

Government officials convoys will install it on their Prado first before I will install it on my Golf 3 tongue
Re: Installing Speed Limiters In Vehicles Does Not Make Common Sense by malosky79(m): 8:56am On Sep 01, 2016
MPVGoddess:
imagine being a passenger in the back seat of a speed limited hiace bus going downhill on Abaji Lokoja road at 100km and there is a semi behind you with failed brakes pounding his horn relentlessly.

We were coming down a steep and very long decline on I-80, just ahead of a big rig. Mind you, we were in a 4-cylinder Subaru Forester. He was suddenly right on our tail and started blasting his horn like mad. We quickly realized he had lost his brakes, so we floored it and were just barely able to stay ahead of him as we, and he, wove from one lane to the other at 100+ mph.

Other cars didn't really have time to react, which was just as well. Fortunately there wasn't much traffic, so we could maneuver, but there were too many cars to just pull into another lane an let him get by. He was driving so erratically that we were afraid he would hit us for sure if we pulled onto the shoulder. Staying ahead of him seemed the safest thing to do at the time.

At the bottom of the grade, his rig eventually slowed enough that he could get on the shoulder and let friction help his stop. I couldn't believe our Subaru could go that fast on its puny 4 cylinders. Thankfully it could.

And that is why I'm glad cars are capable of traveling at "illegal" speed.

Source: Aaron Percefull on Quora
MN ml ml

Ur argument about speed limiter does not make any sense, that is because if every car has is, ur story may be different. therefore, what ur advice should be is that, every vehicle should have it
Re: Installing Speed Limiters In Vehicles Does Not Make Common Sense by princetom1(m): 9:42am On Sep 01, 2016
kingreign:

Kabukabu I love your moniker, nice moniker tho

Abu u no see me oh! grin.

Make them do anyhow, i will call u to help me circumvent the device. Just like phcn prepaid metre wey dey gulp our money like garri, we don call baba electrician to circumvent am. FRSC = exploitation and laziness. So, i go dey drive for highway like say na KABUKABU I dey use? If i by Bugatti or Lamborghini or Ferrari, na wasting of money e go be be that o. My V8 engine go just dey waste for nothing. Chai, to travel from lagos to Ibadan go be like lagos to Delta. Wetin dey vex me be say, the roads are not good, whenever u reach one good road, u go floor ur pedal, bcoz before u know it, the road is bad and u are travelling less than 60km/h. FRSC, where una get this accident data wey una dey quote? Shey for this Nigeria or New York? My people are funny, dem go dey claim data that doesn't exist.
Re: Installing Speed Limiters In Vehicles Does Not Make Common Sense by Nbote(m): 9:56am On Sep 01, 2016
Instead of d govt tackling d terrible state of our roads first, dey've taken d easy way out. Road safety needs to first explain to Nigerians what happened to d e-coding and some other failed and hapless projects dey introduced and forced commuters to pay for. D speed limit idea is one which presents a lot of questions rather than ansas to already existing road use questions.
Re: Installing Speed Limiters In Vehicles Does Not Make Common Sense by obailala(m): 10:05am On Sep 01, 2016
MPVGoddess:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TI0FQo69TRI

Very funny video 'to watch' but not good to experience.

Regarding speed limiters for Nigerian vehicles, considering how often we get these kind of tsunamis in Nigeria, for every 10 lives that may be saved because we allow them to be capable of speeding away from an approaching ocean surge, 5000 lives would have been lost on our roads due to the indiscretions of drunk overspeeding drivers.

Nigeria currently has about the worst road traffic fatality rate in the world, anything to reduce this is a welcome development. It may be difficult to implement this for private vehicles, but I'm in support of a bill to compel all transport companies to have speed limiters on their vehicles.

It's a common occurence to have hiace buses belonging to transport companies fly at speeds of up to 160km/hr on our rough pothole riddled narrow roads and most of these drivers/companies dont even check the condition of their tyres; this isn't just absurd, but it's plain stupidity. When the unexpected happens, we begin to blame witches and wizards and principalities and powers and relatives in the village. I totally welcome the plan to force transport companies to fit speed limiters.
Re: Installing Speed Limiters In Vehicles Does Not Make Common Sense by Originalsly: 11:53am On Sep 01, 2016
Nonsense story.....a rig... no brakes.... 100mph/140kph...going down a long down hill... no room in the next lane for the car to change lane... but the rig was swerving from one lane to the other.... and somehow. .. just before reaching the bottom... I guess about 200kph by now... the rig suddenly slowed down. Anti gravity forces?
Re: Installing Speed Limiters In Vehicles Does Not Make Common Sense by Origin(f): 1:51pm On Sep 01, 2016
The case for speed limiters outweighs the case against it. If you have failed breaks on a slope, increasing speed would probably still not save you.

In Nigeria we urgently need this as every driver is James bond. Most accidents would be salvageable if its not on high speed.
Re: Installing Speed Limiters In Vehicles Does Not Make Common Sense by MPVGoddess: 8:35pm On Sep 01, 2016
Don't be sold a dummy - government wants to begin making money from speeding infractions. It is not about safety

1 Like

Re: Installing Speed Limiters In Vehicles Does Not Make Common Sense by MPVGoddess: 3:33pm On Sep 02, 2016
obailala:
Very funny video 'to watch' but not good to experience.

Regarding speed limiters for Nigerian vehicles, considering how often we get these kind of tsunamis in Nigeria, for every 10 lives that may be saved because we allow them to be capable of speeding away from an approaching ocean surge, 5000 lives would have been lost on our roads due to the indiscretions of drunk overspeeding drivers.

Nigeria currently has about the worst road traffic fatality rate in the world, anything to reduce this is a welcome development. It may be difficult to implement this for private vehicles, but I'm in support of a bill to compel all transport companies to have speed limiters on their vehicles.

It's a common occurence to have hiace buses belonging to transport companies fly at speeds of up to 160km/hr on our rough pothole riddled narrow roads and most of these drivers/companies dont even check the condition of their tyres; this isn't just absurd, but it's plain stupidity. When the unexpected happens, we begin to blame witches and wizards and principalities and powers and relatives in the village. I totally welcome the plan to force transport companies to fit speed limiters.

Video lifted from a Q and A on Quora with the Q: Why are cars made to go significantly faster than the highest national speed limit?
If the highest speed limit in the US is around 75mph, why do they make your average Toyota Corolla top 140mph? Wouldn't traffic/speed enforcement be a lot easier if you just couldn't speed?

The arguments make sense.

The tornado is not to be taken literally it stands for all the dangers that it may be necessary to run away from in Nigeria.

Even your road safety agency copies policies from elsewhere including as they say Kenya, so comparing notes is not out of place.

Is it fair to overburden transporters in a bad economy with additional costs when the government is far far richer and should bear enforcement costs?
Re: Installing Speed Limiters In Vehicles Does Not Make Common Sense by MPVGoddess: 3:35pm On Sep 02, 2016
malosky79:
MN ml ml

Ur argument about speed limiter does not make any sense, that is because if every car has is, ur story may be different. therefore, what ur advice should be is that, every vehicle should have it

If you have the time, check out the Q and A on Quora with the Q: Why are cars made to go significantly faster than the highest national speed limit?
If the highest speed limit in the US is around 75mph, why do they make your average Toyota Corolla top 140mph? Wouldn't traffic/speed enforcement be a lot easier if you just couldn't speed?

You may have a change of heart
Re: Installing Speed Limiters In Vehicles Does Not Make Common Sense by MPVGoddess: 3:36pm On Sep 02, 2016
oluwafreshkid:

Check the source : Quora!
They make sensitive contributions there... Nairaland users should learn from them

Tell me who your friends are and I will tell you who you are
Re: Installing Speed Limiters In Vehicles Does Not Make Common Sense by MPVGoddess: 3:37pm On Sep 02, 2016
billy187:

Subaru makes some of the fastest 4 cylinder cars available.

It's kinda frightening to think what would have happened with a speed limiter- those poor fellows would have been merged into the truck's radiator!

There's a reason pretty much every other country thinks it's a dumb idea to put speed limiters on passenger cars

It can only happen in the backwards they call third world countries.

Never in a first rate country

Did not the UK government even increase speed limits for trucks in 2015?

https://www.wired.com/2014/07/uk-raises-truck-speed-limit/

1 Like

Re: Installing Speed Limiters In Vehicles Does Not Make Common Sense by MPVGoddess: 3:39pm On Sep 02, 2016
Exponental:

It's advantages are more. Most of the commercial drivers are lawless. Many lives have been lost due to their carefree over speeding!

Its a very simplistic way of solving what is clearly and enforcement problem.

Which no first world country can implement not that they have not considered but dismissed
Re: Installing Speed Limiters In Vehicles Does Not Make Common Sense by MPVGoddess: 3:59pm On Sep 02, 2016
Nbote:
Instead of d govt tackling d terrible state of our roads first, dey've taken d easy way out. Road safety needs to first explain to Nigerians what happened to d e-coding and some other failed and hapless projects dey introduced and forced commuters to pay for. D speed limit idea is one which presents a lot of questions rather than ansas to already existing road use questions.

You have said it all
Re: Installing Speed Limiters In Vehicles Does Not Make Common Sense by obailala(m): 4:15pm On Sep 02, 2016
MPVGoddess:

Video lifted from a Q and A on Quora with the Q: Why are cars made to go significantly faster than the highest national speed limit?

The arguments make sense.

The tornado is not to be taken literally it stands for all the dangers that it may be necessary to run away from in Nigeria.

Even your road safety agency copies policies from elsewhere including as they say Kenya, so comparing notes is not out of place.

Is it fair to overburden transporters in a bad economy with additional costs when the government is far far richer and should bear enforcement costs?
While you compare notes, you should not fail to note that every society has its peculiarities; different strokes for different folks.

Firstly, the US you may want to compare us with has some of the best roads in the world in terms of wideness and smoothness. Nigeria can't boast of that. I'm sure if they had highways half as bad as ours, and if they had drivers half as retardedd as ours, the US would have done something about speed limiters a long time ago.

Secondly, the US police or traffic officers might have a robust system through which they can enforce speed limit regulations; I doubt that Nigeria's FRSC even has a comprehensive computerised database to track details of a car owner by just inputting a registration number.

Thirdly, due to a combination of factors, Nigeria currently has about the worst record of road traffic fatalities worldwide. I'm sure if the US had a tenth of our fatality record, they would have considered speed limiters, at least for public transport vehicles.

Finally, I understand your 'tornado' example isn't to be taken literally, however, when one considers the totally absurd and totally unacceptable fatality statistics on Nigerian highways, you will agree with me that by allowing cars to be capable of outrunning 'tornadoes,' the number of lives we save is so so so insignificant when compared with the multitude of souls that perish daily on Nigerian roads courtesy of overspeeding.
Re: Installing Speed Limiters In Vehicles Does Not Make Common Sense by timifakay(m): 11:24pm On Sep 02, 2016
For me- speed is subjective, let's be more watchful and note how many commercial vehicles are able to overtake private vehicles at speed of 100kmph. Most times, what commercial vehicle drivers do is just to accelerate terribly, causing a lot of noise and the high amount of drag due to open windows in most cases gives a perception of high speed, but then they hardly ever clock speed of over 100kmph.
They are reckless, intoxicated and capable of lots of other vices, but their vehicles rarely have the capability to move at break neck speeds (for me that's over 140kmph) and most roads in this country don't have long enough stretch for you to move at such speed for over 5km without an obstruction in form of Potholes or ditches or congested traffic.
Here's a scenario of conversation I feel birthed the speed limiter device idea. Politician: There are lots of terrible roads but we can't afford to fix them because we have party convention coming up and my kids college funds all have to be paid in advance amongst other things, all I want now is how to avoid repairing those roads...
P.A: Those drivers too are very reckless, they don't use common sense, and hardly slow down enough at the bad patches.
Businessman: I heard of a device that can limit speeds oh, if FRSC can enforce vehicles to install them and I get contract to supply the device, you get 2% on every sale.
Politician: *calls FRSC oga at the top who happens to be his godson* hey man, I've found the solution to your accident problems, present before the Senate and assembly a law to limit speeds of vehicles... Do your home work and do the presentation well oh, I'll make some calls so you have support of some people before you talk sef, I have a friend who manufactures them in China and is ready to ship a million units in, your work will be easier and everyone will praise you for introducing the device, and you will smile to the bank my son...
*calls his lawmaker friends* FRSC will propose a bill soon, accept it for the good of our party... We'll talk more about it when we see...
The above illustration is how most of our policies sound to me- like parlor ideas enforced by power drunk politicians only after their personal interests.

The realities of the device
1. Everyone has to purchase an aftermarket tuning device at a cost to self
2. Even in circumstances such as terrorist attack, medical emergency and robbery the final outcome is not in your hands as all efforts have been pegged by a dummy device.
3. The government won't be held accountable for not providing car worthy roads, but taxpayers' cars have to be limit to be worthy of the unworthy road (no pun intended)
4. In a situation the limiter fails and makes the maximum speed lower the time taken for a journey and fuel consumed will be a liability of the vehicle owner.

Speed limiting is unheard of and unreasonable, first fix roads and study the dynamics, then recommend speed range on various roads and probably have regular law breakers install the device on their vehicles, not just have a blanket covering on all vehicles.
Re: Installing Speed Limiters In Vehicles Does Not Make Common Sense by MPVGoddess: 4:10am On Sep 03, 2016
timifakay:
For me- speed is subjective, let's be more watchful and note how many commercial vehicles are able to overtake private vehicles at speed of 100kmph. Most times, what commercial vehicle drivers do is just to accelerate terribly, causing a lot of noise and the high amount of drag due to open windows in most cases gives a perception of high speed, but then they hardly ever clock speed of over 100kmph.
They are reckless, intoxicated and capable of lots of other vices, but their vehicles rarely have the capability to move at break neck speeds (for me that's over 140kmph) and most roads in this country don't have long enough stretch for you to move at such speed for over 5km without an obstruction in form of Potholes or ditches or congested traffic.
Here's a scenario of conversation I feel birthed the speed limiter device idea. Politician: There are lots of terrible roads but we can't afford to fix them because we have party convention coming up and my kids college funds all have to be paid in advance amongst other things, all I want now is how to avoid repairing those roads...
P.A: Those drivers too are very reckless, they don't use common sense, and hardly slow down enough at the bad patches.
Businessman: I heard of a device that can limit speeds oh, if FRSC can enforce vehicles to install them and I get contract to supply the device, you get 2% on every sale.
Politician: *calls FRSC oga at the top who happens to be his godson* hey man, I've found the solution to your accident problems, present before the Senate and assembly a law to limit speeds of vehicles... Do your home work and do the presentation well oh, I'll make some calls so you have support of some people before you talk sef, I have a friend who manufactures them in China and is ready to ship a million units in, your work will be easier and everyone will praise you for introducing the device, and you will smile to the bank my son...
*calls his lawmaker friends* FRSC will propose a bill soon, accept it for the good of our party... We'll talk more about it when we see...
The above illustration is how most of our policies sound to me- like parlor ideas enforced by power drunk politicians only after their personal interests.

The realities of the device
1. Everyone has to purchase an aftermarket tuning device at a cost to self
2. Even in circumstances such as terrorist attack, medical emergency and robbery the final outcome is not in your hands as all efforts have been pegged by a dummy device.
3. The government won't be held accountable for not providing car worthy roads, but taxpayers' cars have to be limit to be worthy of the unworthy road (no pun intended)
4. In a situation the limiter fails and makes the maximum speed lower the time taken for a journey and fuel consumed will be a liability of the vehicle owner.

Speed limiting is unheard of and unreasonable, first fix roads and study the dynamics, then recommend speed range on various roads and probably have regular law breakers install the device on their vehicles, not just have a blanket covering on all vehicles.

Receive your Awards my oga!

Here comes a guy who understands how the system works beneath the scenes.

A true insider or a knowledgeable outsider who does not take things at face value.

Some others believe the news without questioning and scrutiny

You belong to the elite class of critical thinkers - who ask why? Why not? If not? and challenge the status quo.

May your days be long.

The internet has helped change bad government policy.

When our leaders see comments like yours, they know we are watching, we understand, and take caution and correct their glaring faux pass

1 Like

Re: Installing Speed Limiters In Vehicles Does Not Make Common Sense by cardoctor(m): 9:05am On Sep 03, 2016
It makes a lot of sense. Simple.
Re: Installing Speed Limiters In Vehicles Does Not Make Common Sense by timifakay(m): 9:11am On Sep 03, 2016
MPVGoddess:

A true insider or a knowledgeable outsider who does not take things at face value.

You belong to the elite class of critical thinkers - who ask why? Why not? If not? and challenge the status quo.

May your days be long.

When our leaders see comments like yours, they know we are watching, we understand, and take caution and correct their glaring faux pass
I'm an outsider oh... All these awards for only me? Ayam honored!
Re: Installing Speed Limiters In Vehicles Does Not Make Common Sense by mastro: 5:17pm On Sep 04, 2016
typical fund raising nonsense by govt depts, so they install limiters with 100kph max, what will of course happen is that the drivers will not slow down on bad roads in a bid to make up time, 100kph + massive potholes = accident, and what about in town and through villages where speeds slower that 100 are appropriate.....
Re: Installing Speed Limiters In Vehicles Does Not Make Common Sense by MPVGoddess: 9:13am On Sep 05, 2016
cardoctor:
It makes a lot of sense. Simple.

Physics disagrees, watch video!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6I7vkiHi2I8
Re: Installing Speed Limiters In Vehicles Does Not Make Common Sense by umakuma: 8:51am On Sep 08, 2016
MPVGoddess:

May your days be long.

1 Like

Re: Installing Speed Limiters In Vehicles Does Not Make Common Sense by MPVGoddess: 7:41am On Apr 16, 2017
They want to do it to private cars also....

I knew that that was the plan

It is time to begin to fight that policy and give it a befitting burial

Don't say you did not know, here is the link to this update https://www.nairaland.com/3742943/frsc-install-speed-limit-device

The big question is why does the government not purchase speed scanners but prefers to pass on the burden to consumers in the first place?

The second question is where in the first world is this done?

One and one should rise and act before things get worse than this!

(1) (2) (Reply)

What Happens And What To Do When You Mistakenly Put The Wrong Fuel In Your Car? / Is It Wrong To Drive Automatic Transmissions With Both Legs? / Car Tracking Story: How I Recovered My Stolen Vehicle...

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 87
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.