Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,149,779 members, 7,806,158 topics. Date: Tuesday, 23 April 2024 at 12:14 PM

My Wife Doesn't Work And Wants Her Name On My Home - Family - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / My Wife Doesn't Work And Wants Her Name On My Home (4084 Views)

My Wife's Elder Sister Has Finally Settled In My Home & I Don't Know What To Do / My Wife Doesn't Work Yet Dinner Is Never Ready Before 9pm / Woman Wants Her Hubby Sacked For Attacking Her Gigolo With Cutlass In Ekiti (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

My Wife Doesn't Work And Wants Her Name On My Home by missjo(f): 11:35am On Sep 01, 2016
So I came across this article on my Yahoo MarketWatch this morning and thought to share so as to get opinions from the Nigerian perspective.

Dear Moneyologist,
I have been married to my wife for three years. She is from Montreal and moved to California to be with me. I never asked her about her finances and would assume that she would have some savings since she worked as long as I did. I thought we would grow our income and savings together, but instead I’m stressed over money as she does not help me with any expenses.

I bought a house before I even met her. She lived in that house with me and does not help me with the mortgage or property tax. I pay for everything and she only pays her own expenses and there are occasions when she cannot pay her own expenses, and asks me for help. I willingly help. I asked her about the $10,000 I had given her over the past three months for her expenses, and she does not even know what she spent it on.

Lately she has been talking to me about wanting her name on the title in our cars and my house, which I paid for. I feel that I’m being taken advantage of and I’m not sure how to tell her in a nice way that she is not contributing financially to our marriage. Since I married her, my savings have shrunk as I have to pull out emergency money to help her and do not get an honest answer from her about her spending.
I just don’t know how to say it in a constructive way so she can see that it’s unfair for me to work so hard to save and pay for everything while she does not help me.

http://www.marketwatch.com/story/my-wife-doesnt-work-splurged-10000-and-wants-her-name-on-my-home-2016-08-17?siteid=yhoof2&yptr=yahoo

Normally I advocate for a situation where both husband and wife have their names on properties regardless who paid for it, but in this situation it seems to me the wife is really taking advantage of the man as he writes.

What do you all think?

3 Likes

Re: My Wife Doesn't Work And Wants Her Name On My Home by shegxi(m): 11:51am On Sep 01, 2016
a wife might not be earning but can still have great value.
in this particular case however, i think it is a case of a woman hoping to milk husband and leave him home and dry. u dn't earn and u are frivolous, what a disastrous combination

3 Likes

Re: My Wife Doesn't Work And Wants Her Name On My Home by Nobody: 11:54am On Sep 01, 2016
A woman that can't account for her spendings, doesn't contribute financially & wants collateral = gold digger. The man shouldn't oblige. If her name pop up on those papers, first thing next morning, will be a divorce paper.

8 Likes 1 Share

Re: My Wife Doesn't Work And Wants Her Name On My Home by bukatyne(f): 12:44pm On Sep 01, 2016
VolTOxic:
A woman that can account for her spendings, doesn't contribute financially & wants collateral = gold digger. The man shouldn't oblige. If her name pop up on those papers, first thing next morning, will be a divorce paper.

My thoughts too.

However, what kind of marriage do they have? Is there a silent understanding that husband is in charge of finance why wifey handles domestics?

2 Likes

Re: My Wife Doesn't Work And Wants Her Name On My Home by Nobody: 1:03pm On Sep 01, 2016
shegxi:
a wife might not be earning but can still have great value.
in this particular case however, i think it is a case of a woman hoping to milk husband and leave him home and dry. u dn't earn and u are frivolous, what a disastrous combination

You've said it all.
By the way, we have been made to believe it's just Nigerian women that act like this, or maybe she is a Nigerian by birth undecided.
Re: My Wife Doesn't Work And Wants Her Name On My Home by 5minsmadness: 1:09pm On Sep 01, 2016
PaperLace:

You've said it all.
By the way, we have been made to believe it's just Nigerian women that act like this, or maybe she is a Nigerian by birth undecided.

Nah, nigerians just enjoy sensationalism.
Each nigerian gender claims that the other is the worst in the world, yet they won't stop marrying each other.

At op, gold-digger alert.
I wont be surprised if the wife is hiding a drug addiction habit.
Re: My Wife Doesn't Work And Wants Her Name On My Home by bukatyne(f): 1:19pm On Sep 01, 2016
5minsmadness:

Nah, nigeriansjust enjoy sensationalism.
Each nigerian gender claims that the other is the worst in the world, yet they won't stop marrying each other.

@Striken: I will say 'everyone'; hear some Americans talk about their women and you will think they are savages....

@Bold: call it fatal attraction grin
Re: My Wife Doesn't Work And Wants Her Name On My Home by Nobody: 2:07pm On Sep 01, 2016
5minsmadness:

hahahahaha.
Very funny but true.

1 Like

Re: My Wife Doesn't Work And Wants Her Name On My Home by cococandy(f): 2:19pm On Sep 01, 2016
VolTOxic:
A woman that can account for her spendings, doesn't contribute financially & wants collateral = gold digger. The man shouldn't oblige. If her name pop up on those papers, first thing next morning, will be a divorce paper.
It makes no difference who bought the house or who's paying for it in most states of the U.S. If she wants to divorce him because of the house, she can still do it whether or not her name is on the papers and she will get a share of it. That's really irrelevant. It's called community property law in marriage. What one person has belongs to the other. (with a few exceptions)

I think the worst marriage one can be in is with someone who's a total liability. I'd rather be single than married to someone who's presence in my life adds more burden instead of help alleviate it. Poor guy.

3 Likes

Re: My Wife Doesn't Work And Wants Her Name On My Home by missjo(f): 12:23pm On Sep 02, 2016
5minsmadness:

Lol
Re: My Wife Doesn't Work And Wants Her Name On My Home by missjo(f): 12:25pm On Sep 02, 2016
bukatyne:

My thoughts too.

However, what kind of marriage do they have? Is there a silent understanding that husband is in charge of finance why wifey handles domestics?
I don't think she should be spending money without care and still demanding her name appears on documents,it comes off as leeching.

1 Like

Re: My Wife Doesn't Work And Wants Her Name On My Home by TV01(m): 12:35pm On Sep 02, 2016
missjo:
I don't think she should be spending money without care and still demanding her name appears on documents,it comes off as leeching.
Two different issues. Spouses should always practice and be held to high levels of financial prudence. Property acquired during marriage - and in many cases even before - becomes marital or community property. The 2 issues are not mutually dependent or some how interwoven.

And it's wrong of the man to think of it as "his home". Its their home, or the family home. "Bachelor pad" mentality angry.

TV
Re: My Wife Doesn't Work And Wants Her Name On My Home by missjo(f): 1:07pm On Sep 02, 2016
TV01:

Two different issues. Spouses should always practice and be held to high levels of financial prudence. Property acquired during marriage - and in many cases even before - becomes marital or community property. The 2 issues are not mutually dependent or some how interwoven.

And it's wrong of the man to think of it as "his home". Its their home, or the family home. "Bachelor pad" mentality angry.

TV
Did you read the article Sir?
Her careless spending habits and not contributing to the mortgage and tax especially as it is now community property AKA their home,and then her subsequent insistence on having her name on documents, is what infuriates the man as it should.

1 Like

Re: My Wife Doesn't Work And Wants Her Name On My Home by Nobody: 9:39pm On Oct 19, 2016
5minsmadness:

cheesy shocked cheesy
@ you and "a drug addiction habit" ....your submission was the reason I typed, "even if someone had a heroin-habit bla bla bla" in a previous thread. I see it is a thing for you.
Re: My Wife Doesn't Work And Wants Her Name On My Home by TV01(m): 11:56pm On Oct 19, 2016
missjo:

Did you read the article Sir?
Her careless spending habits and not contributing to the mortgage and tax especially as it is now community property AKA their home,and then her subsequent insistence on having her name on documents, is what infuriates the man as it should.
I barely remember this thread and I certainly don't remember you! Anyway, now that we are better aquainted, I'll unignore you grin. I just felt you didn't get marriage. I'll explain by way of example;

If the couple had kids together, they'd be joint parents, father and mother. If the man didn't lift a finger to help (despite being able to do so, and his wife needing him to), it wouldn't mean that she should be designated sole parent. The issue is not parenthood, it's his parenting skills/invovement. Clear? No grin

Ok. lets say they rented and didn't own, would there be a problem still? Yes, she's financially scatty. She has a problem and they have an issue (or vice-versa if you prefer). Her financial impropriety needs to be be addressed.

So, her wanting to be named on the deeds is standard marriage protocol, nothing to do with her poor financial management/contribution. That is a separate issue entirely, although they may appear related to one who doesn't get it cheesy.

You are still doing girlfriend/boyfriendage abi? Get back to me when you grow up grin

Have a lovely evening cool

TV
Re: My Wife Doesn't Work And Wants Her Name On My Home by missjo(f): 12:32pm On Oct 20, 2016
TV01:

I barely remember this thread and I certainly don't remember you! Anyway, now that we are better aquainted, I'll unignore you grin. I just felt you didn't get marriage. I'll explain by way of example;
It's exactly 1month 18days since I quoted you without getting a response,and your excuse now is that you didnt respond because I don't get marriage, lol.

See like I told that other guy on that thread,you're terribly insecure. Here's how I know:
You really NEVER had a response for me at that point on September 2 and you're only responding now because someone dug up the thread and made it active again on family section first page. This means that people would read through the thread again and see a quote to you questioning your understanding of the opening post,one which you didn't respond.
The problem is,that isn't your MO. Your MO in this section is that u take pride in the fact that you know a lot and always have an answer or explanation to all things relating to marriage,no one is supposed to know it better than you.So it not gonna look good on the great TV01 that an unknown moniker here got you at a loss so much that you couldn't respond.

THIS IS THE ONLY REASON YOU ARE RESPONDING NOW, certainly not because you think I didn't understand marriage then which wouldn't have changed now. undecided
You could have just went ahead to post your comment without the personal references in trying to belittle my knowledge,this is a trait among insecure people OR people who think they always have something to prove.

Yes I just psychoanalyzed you, it wasn't hard because you're an open book. No hard feelings.

If the couple had kids together, they'd be joint parents, father and mother. If the man didn't lift a finger to help (despite being able to do so, and his wife needing him to), it wouldn't mean that she should be designated sole parent. The issue is not parenthood, it's his parenting skills/invovement. Clear? No grin

Ok. lets say they rented and didn't own, would there be a problem still? Yes, she's financially scatty. She has a problem and they have an issue (or vice-versa if you prefer). Her financial impropriety needs to be be addressed.
Anytime you want to give an analysis,better you stick to the parameters of the story.

All I'm seeing here is "what if" and "let say".
Well Sir, they don't have kids and they didn't rent,FULL STOP. Your understanding of the issue should be within the information in the story.

So, her wanting to be named on the deeds is standard marriage protocol, nothing to do with her poor financial management/contribution. That is a separate issue entirely, although they may appear related to one who doesn't get it cheesy.
Lol,you're terrible. A woman wanting her name on the deeds was never the issue,this wouldn't be a problem with couples who are satisfied, content, and wholly committed to each other.

The issue with her insisting on having her name on the deed became a problem to her husband ONLY after he factored in her previous behavior. THEY ARE RELATED because she hasn't given him any reason to trust him.

You are still doing girlfriend/boyfriendage abi? Get back to me when you grow up grin

Have a lovely evening cool

TV
Another unnecessary swipe when you don't know nothing about me.
Wait let me guess, the man in the article who is doing the complaining is still doing girlfriend/boyfriend with his wife, he hasn't grown up, and this is why he is complaining about his wife BECAUSE MR TV01 SAYS SO.

Like I diagnosed before,you're insecure and blatantly unashamed about it no less.
The person who made the complain is married (not a boyfriend) and a grown up (not a child), what I did was share his story and understood his perspective. So how you turned around to make it about MY marital status exposes you on all sides.

1 Like

Re: My Wife Doesn't Work And Wants Her Name On My Home by 5minsmadness: 1:05pm On Oct 20, 2016
merahki:

cheesy shocked cheesy
@ you and "a drug addiction habit" ....your submission was the reason I typed, "even if someone had a heroin-habit bla bla bla" in a previous thread. I see it is a thing for you.

Eh?
What r u talking about?
Re: My Wife Doesn't Work And Wants Her Name On My Home by TV01(m): 3:26pm On Oct 20, 2016
missjo:

It's exactly 1month 18days since I quoted you without getting a response,and your excuse now is that you didnt respond because I don't get marriage, lol.

See like I told that other guy on that thread,you're terribly insecure. Here's how I know:
Missjo, please take it easy, I may be yanking your chain small, but the whole psyche bit is funny, as well as a fail.

I didn't respond the first time as I felt my first answer was clear and I didn't know you to back and forth with. Since you forcefully introduced yourself grin, I do now.

At first, I thought who is this? But quite respected your speaking up on the Moji thread, even though I yanked a little then. MizMyColi got it way better than you did.

Lighten up, you are taking things way to personally. I have nothing to be insecure about, and neither should you, from me at least.

Oya, re-do your make-up.

Have a great rest of day.

TV
[b]
Lol,you're terrible. A woman wanting her name on the deeds was never the issue,this wouldn't be a problem with couples who are satisfied, content, and wholly committed to each other.

The issue with her insisting on having her name on the deed became a problem to her husband ONLY after he factored in her previous behavior. THEY ARE RELATED because she hasn't given him any reason to trust him.
...and you still don't get it. Whatever her behavior pre or post-marriage, having communal property (or property in common) is a feature of marriage, it's how its meant to work. It does not vary from couple to couple, based on feelings or concerns about behavior.

Even if she is a gold-digger, as his wife, she has every right to declare a marital interest. In fact, it is assumed even without documentation in some jurisdictions. Concerns about her financial mismanagement should have been addressed prior, and can be even now, but that does not obviate her rights...read slowly and less personally grin Oh, look! https://www.nairaland.com/3322866/wife-doesnt-work-wants-name#48984645
[/b]
Re: My Wife Doesn't Work And Wants Her Name On My Home by Nobody: 7:27pm On Oct 20, 2016
5minsmadness:

Eh?
What r u talking about?

I dunno again
I must have mistaken you for someone else...on a help thread on here
The person suggested that the girl..., you know what? Now I am really confused...I think I mixed up threads
...apologies for the wrong quote
Re: My Wife Doesn't Work And Wants Her Name On My Home by missjo(f): 12:36pm On Oct 22, 2016
TV01:

Missjo, please take it easy, I may be yanking your chain small, but the whole psyche bit is funny, as well as a fail.

I didn't respond the first time as I felt my first answer was clear and I didn't know you to back and forth with. Since you forcefully introduced yourself grin, I do now.

At first, I thought who is this? But quite respected your speaking up on the Moji thread, even though I yanked a little then. MizMyColi got it way better than you did.

Lighten up, you are taking things way to personally. I have nothing to be insecure about, and neither should you, from me at least.

Oya, re-do your make-up.

Have a great rest of day.

TV

...and you still don't get it. Whatever her behavior pre or post-marriage, having communal property (or property in common) is a feature of marriage, it's how its meant to work. It does not vary from couple to couple, based on feelings or concerns about behavior.

Even if she is a gold-digger, as his wife, she has every right to declare a marital interest. In fact, it is assumed even without documentation in some jurisdictions. Concerns about her financial mismanagement should have been addressed prior, and can be even now, but that does not obviate her rights...read slowly and less personally grin Oh, look! https://www.nairaland.com/3322866/wife-doesnt-work-wants-name#48984645
Whatever Mr Man.

The summary of your position is that this man should and MUST NOT have negative feelings regarding his wife's behaviour. He ought to overlook everything she does as written in the article and continue like nothing is wrong. Splendid!
Re: My Wife Doesn't Work And Wants Her Name On My Home by luvablesam(m): 1:28pm On Oct 22, 2016
Every Man should know who he married as a wife. If a woman even ask such question a man should be worried(she's building up her exit plan already)
Re: My Wife Doesn't Work And Wants Her Name On My Home by Richy4(m): 2:03pm On Oct 22, 2016
You guys should settle down and understand the cultural differences between Nigeria and USA .... U cannot judge this Article based on Nigerian context....
The lady has an ulterior motive behind what she was requesting... She is Delilah and she has a big scissors to cut this guy's hair....
Before you know it, she will file for a divorce and claim the whole thing....And I know how the law favors the ladies in US
Re: My Wife Doesn't Work And Wants Her Name On My Home by TV01(m): 2:54pm On Oct 22, 2016
missjo:

Whatever Mr Man.

The summary of your position is that this man should and MUST NOT have negative feelings regarding his wife's behaviour. He ought to overlook everything she does as written in the article and continue like nothing is wrong. Splendid!
They are both terrible, but I'm not sure which is actually worse, your reading comprehension or your reading of people - both are so poor I'm starting to suspect you're trolling me grin.

Marriage has a framework. It is not primarily determined by the "feelings" or even "behaviours" of those within it. Spouses have a claim to marital assets regardless. And as I repeatedly stated, her behaviour and his feelings about that behaviour, do not change that.

But lets just overlook the points I repeatedly stressed about addressing said behaviour (as a separate issue) - prior or post marriage - as it suits the caricature you have of me in your head cheesy.

Enough. This is getting boring. Please tell me what exactly it is I'm insecure about. I'm struggling grin. I'm no oil-painting, not rich by even generous measures and have a "standard education" from a non-name institutions.

But, I'm happily married to a stunning woman (all round 0 cool). I have cute as button kids, a strong extended family network, a diverse, but select set of good friends. I'm in good health, as fit as a fiddle, have a place to call my own. And not least, have a strong faith to the core of me.

Please troll me some more elucidate your diagnosis of insecure for me - then I'll share my own diagnosis, and prognosis if you like, of you cool

Set your weave like it's box-fresh and you mean business cheesy

Have a lovely weekend

TV

1 Like

Re: My Wife Doesn't Work And Wants Her Name On My Home by Ishilove: 2:58pm On Oct 22, 2016
TV01:

They are both terrible, but I'm not sure which is actually worse, your reading comprehension or your reading of people - both are so poor I'm starting to suspect you're trolling me grin.

Marriage has a framework. It is not primarily determined by the "feelings" or even "behaviours" of those within it. Spouses have a claim to marital assets regardless. And as I repeatedly stated, her behaviour and his feelings about that behaviour, do not change that.

But lets just overlook the points I repeatedly stressed about addressing said behaviour (as a separate issue) - prior or post marriage - as it suits the caricature you have of me in your head cheesy.

Enough. This is getting boring. Please tell me what exactly it is I'm insecure about. I'm struggling grin. I'm no oil-painting, not rich by even generous measures and have a "standard education" from a non-name institutions.

But, I'm happily married to a stunning woman (all round 0 cool). I have cute as button kids, a strong extended family network, a diverse, but select set of good friends. I'm in good health, as fit as a fiddle, have a place to call my own. And not least, have a strong faith to the core of me.

Please troll me some more elucidate your diagnosis of insecure for me - then I'll share my own diagnosis, and prognosis if you like, of you cool

Have a lovely weekend

TV
Kai, this man, your bad mouth no be here

Re: My Wife Doesn't Work And Wants Her Name On My Home by 5minsmadness: 3:01pm On Oct 22, 2016
merahki:

I dunno again
I must have mistaken you for someone else...on a help thread on here
The person suggested that the girl..., you know what? Now I am really confused...I think I mixed up threads
...apologies for the wrong quote

Hehehe grin

Nsobu a di ro
No wahala

1 Like

Re: My Wife Doesn't Work And Wants Her Name On My Home by missjo(f): 5:26pm On Oct 22, 2016
TV01:

Have a lovely weekend

TV
For the love of God who is kind and merciful,cant you ever muster the goodwill to post a response without making it about you or the person you're quoting? The hell is my business with the story of your life? undecided

Seems quite a bit like the insecure thingy got to you.
Kay' you know what, you're not insecure,yous a confident man all-round. I also know nothing about marriage,i've got poor comprehension skills and obviously can't read people. You are the boss, boss.

1 Like

Re: My Wife Doesn't Work And Wants Her Name On My Home by missjo(f): 5:29pm On Oct 22, 2016
Ishilove:

Kai, this man, your bad mouth no be here
undecided undecided

Do you have an opinion on the topic, or you only outcheaa to piggyback? smiley

1 Like

Re: My Wife Doesn't Work And Wants Her Name On My Home by missjo(f): 5:33pm On Oct 22, 2016
luvablesam:
Every Man should know who he married as a wife. If a woman even ask such question a man should be worried(she's building up her exit plan already)

Richy4:
You guys should settle down and understand the cultural differences between Nigeria and USA .... U cannot judge this Article based on Nigerian context....
The lady has an ulterior motive behind what she was requesting... She is Delilah and she has a big scissors to cut this guy's hair....
Before you know it, she will file for a divorce and claim the whole thing....And I know how the law favors the ladies in US
You both probably don't understand marriage to have this opinion it seems,according to the boss TV01.
Re: My Wife Doesn't Work And Wants Her Name On My Home by Ishilove: 6:17pm On Oct 22, 2016
missjo:

undecided undecided

Do you have an opinion on the topic, or you only outcheaa to piggyback? smiley
I'm here to read comments. embarassed
Re: My Wife Doesn't Work And Wants Her Name On My Home by Richy4(m): 7:54pm On Oct 22, 2016
missjo:

You both probably don't understand marriage to have this opinion it seems,according to the boss TV01.

[b]smileyYou must be really pissed.... That's why I like Family section, there are lots of level headed people here who still give constructive argument no matter how much angry they seems without insult..... it is called maturity....Romance and political section does not have that... someone like me that cherish my respect, I hardly click that button except if it was on trending...

Back to the topic, I still believe marriage is based on cultural value... In Nigeria, for example the man sees himself as the head of the home..all financial stuffs is been provided by him...Most time we seek help from the female folks to pay bills and other things.... But in western world, it was an equal role, man and wife will iron it out based on how they want to run the family, who pays what etc.. that was why the man was practically complaining that the woman was not doing her own part .....

Most Nigerian ladies will not make that kind of request that the woman made except if the man willingly includes her on his own accord...that request will be a total red flag for any African man....But in western world the law favors the ladies a lot, so that is why most men are really careful...You might be surprised that if he includes her, she will start finding an excuse to end the relationship...,and that house will go to her because the law is always on their side....Though I still think if they have lived for more than a year together,during divorce they are entitled to an equal share of asset married or not... as long as they stay together... .[/b]
Re: My Wife Doesn't Work And Wants Her Name On My Home by dfrost: 5:46am On Oct 23, 2016
Richy4:

smileyYou must be really pissed.... That's why I like Family section, there are lots of level headed people here who still give constructive argument no matter how much angry they seems without insult..... it is called maturity....Romance and political section does not have that... someone like me that cherish my respect, I hardly click that button except if it was on trending...

Same here. I don't understand why some people behave like savages in the Politics and Romance Section. Even family atimes.

Gosh. I know of someone who believes he/she has prowess in vocabulary but will not hesitate to unleash invectives on any who quotes his/her post negatively. A mature person never resorts to invectives and cursing.

It depicts lack of or poor upbringing.

(1) (Reply)

Why Are Men Cooler With Being Single Than Women. / Woman Whose Face Got Burnt Gives Her Husband Permission To Leave Her (Photos) / My Father Is Basically Non-existent. Anyone Else Like This?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 114
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.