Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,143,436 members, 7,781,272 topics. Date: Friday, 29 March 2024 at 11:35 AM

Is Sunday The Christian Sabbath? - Religion (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Is Sunday The Christian Sabbath? (5425 Views)

Is Sunday The Christian Sabbath Day? / Today Is Sunday: How Do We Worship God / Is Sunday The Real Sabbath Day? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Is Sunday The Christian Sabbath? by Scholar8200(m): 7:55pm On Oct 17, 2016
DoctorAlien:
Modern critics of the Sabbath try to label Sabbathkeepers as legalists who are aliens to the grace of the gospel. Not so the writers of the Bible, who constantly associate obedience with true salvation by faith. In Acts 16:13 we have positive proof that Paul kept the Sabbath even when there was no synagogue and no Jews. He was ministering in Greece, where there were only a few scattered Jews and no synagogue at all. What did he do on the Sabbath? “And on the sabbath [size=18pt]we went out of the city by a river side[/size], where prayer was wont to be made; and we sat down, and spoke unto the women which resorted thither.

Even with no church to attend, the apostle sought out a spot where religious worship was carried on—a place of prayer by the river—and preached to those who went there. Surely, no one can fail to discern Paul’s deep commitment to the Sabbath as we follow him in this unusual outdoor mission.
If you will read the context you will realise that the major reason Paul went there was because of the gathering that will be there, not to observe the sabbath. Besides, reading further, you will find that they baptised converts. Would I be right to say making a journey out of the city contradicts a claim of sabbath observance?
Re: Is Sunday The Christian Sabbath? by DoctorAlien(m): 7:57pm On Oct 17, 2016
Thus, it is not so much the question of a day as it is of a way—the way of obedience through love, or of disobedience through lack of love. Mark it down and never forget it! Keeping the Sabbath, even the true seventh-day Sabbath, is an operation in futility if it does not proceed from a heart full of love and devotion to God. Without love, all law keeping becomes mechanical and miserable, but with love, every commandment becomes a joy and delight. Make this kind of personal love relationship the basis of your Sabbathkeeping, and it will be the happiest day of your week, for the rest of your life!

Please follow this link to find out more about the Sabbath.
Re: Is Sunday The Christian Sabbath? by Scholar8200(m): 7:59pm On Oct 17, 2016
DoctorAlien:
In every case, God honors the faith of a Christian
who decides to keep the Sabbath regardless of
what happens to his job. Many times God works
miracles by making special arrangements for the
Sabbathkeeper. In some cases, He allows His children to be tested by losing their jobs, and then opens up better ones in response to their faith. Nevertheless, the “things” are always added when we trust Him and obey, regardless of the circumstances.

The real secret of keeping the Sabbath of the Lord is to have the Lord of the Sabbath in our hearts! It is love that leads God’s children to choose death rather than disobedience to one of His commandments. Jesus said, “If ye love me, keep my commandments” (John 14:15). The apostle John defined love in these words, “For this is the love of God, that we keep his commandments” (1 John 5:3).
Now what is that commandment?
Here the good, ol Apostle help us out:

[b] And this is his commandment, That we should believe on the name of his Son Jesus Christ, and love one another, as he gave us commandment
[/b]1 John 3:23

The latter is the fulfilling of the Law and we cannot truly do the latter without the former!
Re: Is Sunday The Christian Sabbath? by DoctorAlien(m): 8:01pm On Oct 17, 2016
Scholar8200:
If you will read the context you will realise that the major reason Paul went there was because of the gathering that will be there, not to observe the sabbath. Besides, reading further, you will find that they baptised converts. Would I be right to say making a journey out of the city contradicts a claim of sabbath observance?

WRONG!

1. The Jews allowed a maximum distance of travel on the Sabbath day of 2000 cubits. Most cities then were small, and certainly going out of the city gate wouldn't amount to travelling over 2000 cubits.

2. Paul unequivocally stated that he had never broken any law or custom/tradition of their fathers. You think Paul was lying?
Re: Is Sunday The Christian Sabbath? by DoctorAlien(m): 8:04pm On Oct 17, 2016
Scholar8200:
Now what is that commandment?
Here the good, ol Apostle help us out:

[b] And this is his commandment, That we should believe on the name of his Son Jesus Christ, and love one another, as he gave us commandment
[/b]1 John 3:23

The latter is the fulfilling of the Law and we cannot truly do the latter without the former!

"Brethren, I write no new commandment unto you, but an old commandment which ye had from the beginning. The old commandment is the word which ye have heard from the beginning." 1 Jn. 2:7
Re: Is Sunday The Christian Sabbath? by Scholar8200(m): 8:18pm On Oct 17, 2016
DoctorAlien:

WRONG!

1. The Jews allowed a maximum distance of travel on the Sabbath day of 2000 cubits. Most cities then were small, and certainly going out of the city gate wouldn't amount to travelling over 2000 cubits.
Where do we find that in the law that was given? This is not a query, it sounds new to me perhaps you can prove this from the law else it appears to be in the category of man's rationalizing that Jesus condemned in Mark 7. Because, if this allowance truly existed, why did the pharisee accuse Jesus for healing on the sabbath and He condemned them as hypocrites for taking care of their animals on the same day? Sabbath was made for man so healing was acceptable, but these made much allowance like the one you mentioned, to quieten their conscience that they were keeping the law when actually they had broken it!

2. Paul unequivocally stated that he had never broken an law nor custom/tradition of their fathers. You think Paul was lying?
This was Paul alluding to the publicly known false accusation that he was against circumcision:

21 and they are informed of thee, that thou teachest all the Jews which are among the Gentiles to forsake Moses, saying that they ought not to circumcise their children, neither to walk after the customs.
Acts 21:21
What customs? Definitely not sabbath because if you claim that refers to sabbath that proves that no one observed it till after the law was given to Israel hence it's an OT issue peculiar to them;

Secondly, what was the remedy suggested by Peter and the rest? That he should observe the sabbath at Jerusalem? NO. Rather that he should do some ceremonial things as you will find in Acts 21:23-28 Hence Paul's speech in Acts 28 refers to this much publicized accusation as it concerns circumcision!
Re: Is Sunday The Christian Sabbath? by Scholar8200(m): 8:24pm On Oct 17, 2016
DoctorAlien:

"Brethren, I write no new commandment unto you, but an old commandment which ye had fromjavascript:void(0); the beginning. The old commandment is the word which ye have heard from the beginning." 1 Jn. 2:7
vs 10 He that loveth his brother abideth in the light, and there is none occasion of stumbling in him.

The Greatest commandment is his emphasis. Note that it's singular-commandment, not plural commandments.
Re: Is Sunday The Christian Sabbath? by DoctorAlien(m): 8:24pm On Oct 17, 2016
Really? Did you not see the word "nothing" in Acts 28:17? Or did you not see the plural word "customs" there? Is circumcision the only custom of the Jews?

Don't interprete the Bible to mean what you want.
Re: Is Sunday The Christian Sabbath? by DoctorAlien(m): 8:25pm On Oct 17, 2016
Scholar8200:
vs 10 He that loveth his brother abideth in the light, and there is none occasion of stumbling in him.

The Greatest commandment is his emphasis. Note that it's singular-commandment, not plural commandments.

How can we love GOD?
Re: Is Sunday The Christian Sabbath? by DoctorAlien(m): 8:29pm On Oct 17, 2016
Scholar8200:

"For whosoever shall keep the whole law, and yet offend in one point, he is guilty of all." James 2:10
Re: Is Sunday The Christian Sabbath? by Scholar8200(m): 8:37pm On Oct 17, 2016
DoctorAlien:

"For whosoever shall keep the whole law, and yet offend in one point, he is guilty of all." James 2:10
That is why we dont get saved by keeping the law but by faith and we :

... died to the Law through the [crucified] body of Christ, so that you may belong to another, to Him who was raised from the dead, in order that we may bear fruit for God.
Romans 7:4
Re: Is Sunday The Christian Sabbath? by Scholar8200(m): 8:40pm On Oct 17, 2016
DoctorAlien:

How can we love GOD?
By believing on Him. Because it is only by this that, having believed:
... God’s love has been abundantly poured out within our hearts through the Holy Spirit who was given to us.
Romans 5:5
Re: Is Sunday The Christian Sabbath? by DoctorAlien(m): 8:42pm On Oct 17, 2016
Scholar8200:
That is why we dont get saved by keeping the law but by faith and we :

... died to the Law through the [crucified] body of Christ, so that you may belong to another, to Him who was raised from the dead, in order that we may bear fruit for God.
Romans 7:4

Great.

Please be kind enough to answer these questions:

1. Do you have any god before Jehovah?

2. Do you make any graven image for yourself and worship it?

3. Do you take GOD's name in vain?

4. Do you treat your parents with disrespect?

5. Do you kill people?

6. Do you commit sexual sin?

7. Do you steal?

8. Do you bear false witness?

9. Do you covet?
Re: Is Sunday The Christian Sabbath? by DoctorAlien(m): 8:45pm On Oct 17, 2016
Scholar8200:
By believing on Him. Because it is only by this that, having believed:
... God’s love has been abundantly poured out within our hearts through the Holy Spirit who was given to us.
Romans 5:5

Belief in GOD is not the same thing as loving GOD.

"Thou believest that there is one GOD; thou doest well: the devils also believe, and tremble." James 2:19

So, how can we love GOD?
Re: Is Sunday The Christian Sabbath? by Scholar8200(m): 8:53pm On Oct 17, 2016
DoctorAlien:

Belief in GOD is not the same thing as loving GOD.
We can only love Him when we believe on Him.

"Thou believest that there is one GOD; thou doest well: the devils also believe, and tremble." James 2:19

So, how can we love GOD?
True faith works by love:

20 If a man say, I love God, and hateth his brother, he is a liar: for he that loveth not his brother whom he hath seen, how can he love God whom he hath not seen? 21 And this commandment have we from him, That he who loveth God love his brother also.

1 John 4:20,21

Still taking us to the Greatest commandment.

The rich, young ruler came to Jesus, he had obeyed the 10 commandments and you know what? The only condition of life the Master had for him was total surrender , and intimacy with Him, taking away the hindrance, in this case, his wealth! That is belief - total surrender in absolute dependence and an ever-growing intimacy!
Re: Is Sunday The Christian Sabbath? by DoctorAlien(m): 8:57pm On Oct 17, 2016
Scholar8200:

20 If a man say, I love God, and hateth his brother, he is a liar: for he that loveth not his brother whom he hath seen, how can he love God whom he hath not seen? 21 And this commandment have we from him, That he who loveth God love his brother also.

The Summary of the law is double-barrelled: there is the distinct command to love GOD with our whole heart and soul and mind and strength. Then there is the command to love our neighbor as ourselves.

Please, how do we love GOD with our whole heart and soul and mind and strength?
Re: Is Sunday The Christian Sabbath? by DoctorAlien(m): 9:00pm On Oct 17, 2016
Scholar8200:

The rich, young ruler came to Jesus, he had obeyed the 10 commandments and you know what? The only condition of life the Master had for him was total surrender , and intimacy with Him! That is belief - total surrender in absolute dependence and an ever-growing intimacy!

Jesus said "...but if thou wilt enter into life, keep the commandments." Matt. 19:17
Re: Is Sunday The Christian Sabbath? by Scholar8200(m): 9:05pm On Oct 17, 2016
DoctorAlien:

The Summary of the law is double-barrelled: there is the distinct command to love GOD with our whole heart and soul and mind and strength. Then there is the command to love our neighbor as ourselves.

Please, how do we love GOD with our whole heart and soul and mind and strength?
This can only be possible as the Spirit sheds abroad His Love in us. This is the onset of intimacy that makes us cry Abba Father. This love makes us to a greater or lesser degree say with the psalmist:

O God, thou art my God; early will I seek thee:
my soul thirsteth for thee,
my flesh longeth for thee in a dry and thirsty land, where no water is;
2 to see thy power and thy glory,
so as I have seen thee in the sanctuary.
3 Because thy lovingkindness is better than life,
my lips shall praise thee.
4 Thus will I bless thee while I live:
I will lift up my hands in thy name.
5 My soul shall be satisfied as with marrow and fatness;
and my mouth shall praise thee with joyful lips:
6 when I remember thee upon my bed,
and meditate on thee in the night watches.
7 Because thou hast been my help,
therefore in the shadow of thy wings will I rejoice.
8 My soul followeth hard after thee:
thy right hand upholdeth me.

When this is is the case, His life flows through ours, we being the branch,and His Love to others is revealed by us as out of our innermost being flows rivers of living waters. Against such a life there is no law!
Re: Is Sunday The Christian Sabbath? by Scholar8200(m): 9:07pm On Oct 17, 2016
DoctorAlien:

Jesus said "...but if thou wilt enter into life, keep the commandments." Matt. 19:17
But he had been keeping them? Why didnt Jesus then urge him on along that path? Simple, in the life of this young man, the Law had achieved its purpose,viz,bringing us to Christ, the Only Source of that Life!!!
Re: Is Sunday The Christian Sabbath? by DoctorAlien(m): 9:09pm On Oct 17, 2016
The question is still not answered.

There is a distinct command to love GOD with our whole heart and sould and mind and strength. We are not asked to wait and experience love for GOD. We are asked to love GOD!

How can we do this?
Re: Is Sunday The Christian Sabbath? by DoctorAlien(m): 9:13pm On Oct 17, 2016
Scholar8200:
But he had been keeping them? Why didnt Jesus then urge him on along that path?

Brother, can you kindly read Matt. 19:16-21 and carefully observe the sequence of things in that text?

Simple, in the life of this young man, the Law had achieved its purpose,viz,bringing us to Christ, the Only Source of that Life!!!

Read Matt. 19:16-21. Then think again.
Re: Is Sunday The Christian Sabbath? by khiaa(f): 10:45pm On Oct 17, 2016
OLAADEGBU:

What does Saturn mean?

Saturday..............Aaaaand?cheesy
Re: Is Sunday The Christian Sabbath? by KingEbukasBlog(m): 11:59pm On Oct 17, 2016
analice107:

Your Royal Highness. Did you see my pm? pls we need you. reply. am your humble subject, Ana.

grin grin grin
Re: Is Sunday The Christian Sabbath? by OLAADEGBU(m): 12:45am On Oct 18, 2016
blueAgent:

Do you know that the same way a man's birthday cannot be changed ,so is the Sabbath day. it is a memorial day to make when God accomplished his work of creating and restoring the world.
If you change a birthday from 1st to 2nd it is not the same thing. is like one misquoting his birthday by one day.

The Sabbath day remains Saturday but Christians are not obliged to keep that law. Jesus who is the Lord of Sabbath has the right to teach us what the Sabbath is all about and it is all about Him. He is the Lord of Sabbath and by faith in Him we enter into that rest from our labours of trying to fulfil the work of righteousness i.e. as in Keeping the law.

blueAgent:

In all of scripture, the seventh day of the
week, the Sabbath, is the only day which has
been declared by God Himself to be blessed,
sanctified (set aside for a holy purpose), in
memorial to His creation.

As Jesus reminded them about the purpose of marriage and took them back to the beginning, Jesus again pointed them back to the beginning where the day of rest (Sabbath) was for man the pattern was set for man to work 6 days and rest on the 7th. The Jews alone were instructed to use the Sabbath day as a sign between God and the Jews first to remember God as the Creator and also to worship Him as our Redeemer.

1 Like

Re: Is Sunday The Christian Sabbath? by OLAADEGBU(m): 12:46am On Oct 18, 2016
analice107:

Sir i sent you a pm, pls reply.

I have responded to her majesty. cheesy
Re: Is Sunday The Christian Sabbath? by analice107: 12:53am On Oct 18, 2016
OLAADEGBU:

I have responded to her majesty. cheesy
Thank you sir
Re: Is Sunday The Christian Sabbath? by OLAADEGBU(m): 12:59am On Oct 18, 2016
blueAgent:

All of them kept it. God said about Abraham that he kept his laws and Satutes.

www.nairaland.com/3038010/ten-commandements-preceded-moses

Abraham believed God and that was counted to him for righteousness. He did not become righteous by keeping the laws of circumcision or other laws. Faith first and then obedience to God's command. smiley
Re: Is Sunday The Christian Sabbath? by OLAADEGBU(m): 1:00am On Oct 18, 2016
blueAgent:

The Sabbath was not an issue then. people observed the Sabbath willingly. paul emphasis then was on Circumcision. paul told them that what God required now was the circumsion of their Hearts and not the physical one.

How will the Gentiles know that they had to keep the Sabbath day if they were not taught? undecided

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Is Sunday The Christian Sabbath? by OLAADEGBU(m): 1:11am On Oct 18, 2016
blueAgent:

Stop confusing yourself. Paul Defined Sin as the breaking of Gods commandement.James said anyone who observes 9 of the commandements and breaks one is guilty of breaking all. thus this look like commandment that was done away with?

You seem to be confusing the Moral Law of God with the ceremonial ones. James in chapter 2:10 was speaking about the Jews that they could never be made righteous and justified by the efforts in keeping the law, since no one could ever keep it perfectly. And this does not only apply to the Jews but all men including you and me need to come to the realisation that we can never be saved by our good works see (Romans 4:5; Galatians 2:16; Ephesians 2:8-9). We need to know that one unforgiven sin is all it takes for our condemnation.
Re: Is Sunday The Christian Sabbath? by OLAADEGBU(m): 1:16am On Oct 18, 2016
blueAgent:

Is keeping the commandments of God legalism?
Ask yourself what is Sin?

Keeping the commandments will not justify us before God it is faith in the finished work of Christ not our works that would save us. Again read Ephesians 2:8-9. As to your question about sin I'll open another thread to address it so as not to divert this topic.
Re: Is Sunday The Christian Sabbath? by OLAADEGBU(m): 1:25am On Oct 18, 2016
Splinz:

Hello OLAADEGBU my brother, greetings.

Calvary greeting to you too, God bless. smiley

Splinz:

Having secretly followed your discussion with other notably contributors like: DoctorAlien and the rest, I felt as did by Priscilla and Aquila (Acts 18:26) , to take you aside and explain these things (as concerning the sabbath) more accurately to you.

I am open to learn from bible scholars, am all ears.

Splinz:

Honestly speaking, you seems more interested in diverting from notably objections raised by DoctorAlien such as: 1. What is love? 2. How do we love God? And now add mine 3. What is sin?

We may open new threads to address these question for fear of diverting away from this thread.

Splinz:

Personally, I use no philosophy or human wisdom when dealing with faith matters, as I enjoyed savouring the undiluted truths from the pages of the bible concerning doctrines and teachings of this magnitude. And so if by any chance you feel competent and ready to take the three questions mentioned above, please do so strictly biblically. As the answers are readily available in the bible, and one need not manufactured any.

God willing, I would endeavour to open threads about your concerns.

Splinz:

Yes, it is true that I have so much to contribute to the topic at hand. But before then, answering those three questions will set the tone for our journey (it will be a journey because we will go to the very genesis of this matter; indepth analysis).

That will be great. cheesy

Splinz:

Please, kindly put aside all preconceived ideas about the sabbath and await a replenish and refreshing thoughts from the presence of the "Lord of the sabbath". Trust you're interested?

Of course I will be interested. Fire on. smiley

Splinz:

Bye now.

Till then. wink
Re: Is Sunday The Christian Sabbath? by MightySparrow: 3:03am On Oct 18, 2016
blueAgent:

This not what Paul meant by one esteemeth one day above the order.
To understand the Bible you need to look at it from every possible angle and take into consideration every Bible verse concerning the issue.Paul cannot instruct people to worship on a day different from what God commanded.

I can't wait to get reas the details.

I will get you more details on this topic.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

My Pastor Or GOD , Who Should I Listen To ? (Christians ONLY Please ) / Making Sure You're On The Right Track In Your Christian Race / Akathriel Yah Yehod Seboath Zoharariel "The Originator Of The Universe"

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 85
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.