Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,143,353 members, 7,780,946 topics. Date: Friday, 29 March 2024 at 06:06 AM

Only An Igbo Man Can Do This. Seriously - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Only An Igbo Man Can Do This. Seriously (2936 Views)

See What An Igbo Man Can Do? Photo / When Will An Igbo Man Rule Nigeria? / Tunde Bakare Is A Confused Man- CAN (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Go Down)

Only An Igbo Man Can Do This. Seriously by mekuslogan: 3:17am On Oct 04, 2009
This man built, Peter Ngwu, a house, raised 2 graduates selling chewing sticks (PICTURE)
From TUNDE RAHEEM Akure

Friday, October 2, 2009

It sounds incredible that somebody could build a house and train children up to the university level, selling common chewing stick {pako}. But, this is true of a popular chewing stick seller in Akure ,Ondo State, Peter Ngwu, who has been in the business for over 30 years.

Ngwu, 63, said despite meagre returns, he has trained two of his children to university level.

The Ebonyi State- born father of five children said in an interview with Daily Sun that contrary to the view that whoever was dealing in his kind of business was a wretched man, he has been in the business for over three decades and made a success of it.

Baba pako as he is popularly called by his teeming customers said he had built his own house and trained his children to university level adding that : “I am still training the remaining three, I give glory to God”

On how he became a chewing stick seller, Ngwu said he was a successful business man dealing in kitchen utensils with a store at Arakale area. “I was doing fine in the business until I was robbed by an armed robbery syndicate at upper Uwenka in Onitsha many years back, Baba pako said, saying that the robbers carted away all his money meant to purchase goods to replenish his store at gun point in Onitsha. The development ruined him financially.

He was jobless for a long time, before a friend came to introduce the chewing stick business to him. “When he mentioned the business, I felt bad and I thought in my mind that how come somebody who was dealing in kitchen utensils in a big form would suddenly become a chewing stick seller. But, when there was no hope of getting money to continue the business, I didn’t have option than to accept the offer”

He said his friend gave him some money to start the business and after sometime the business gradually boomed. Ngwu said at a stage he used to make between N700 and N1000 profit per day.

Baba pako gets his bulk supplies from Calabar for both whole and retail sales in Akure.

He explained this : “It is very scarce to get the sticks here in Ondo State, but in Calabar, they plant them in large quantities, because they take it as a big time business, unlike in Ondo State.

Ngwu advised jobless youths to embark on cottage business that could keep them busy rather than engaging on unwholesome acts capable of ruining their lives.

Re: Only An Igbo Man Can Do This. Seriously by Onlytruth(m): 3:33am On Oct 04, 2009
I'm not really suprised. That's the typical Igbo discipline and focus. You don't sound Igbo, so thanks for selflessly acknowledging a great attribute. If other Nigerians appreciated this attribute, maybe the Igbo could have been deployed to pull Nigeria out of the mess.
Re: Only An Igbo Man Can Do This. Seriously by rhymz(m): 3:44am On Oct 04, 2009
@Poster,what exactly is Ur point,i am igbo but i don't necessarily agree with Ur assertion that only an igbo can do it,there's nothing exceptional about it,it's not an unattainable fit, so relax with labelling before U arouse ppl towards tribal war.The topic would have been more worthy if U had used anything else but this,U took a lot from the praise that would gone to the man with the headline.
Anyway my opinion!
Re: Only An Igbo Man Can Do This. Seriously by Rosabelle(f): 8:12am On Oct 04, 2009
I completely disagree. That discipline, I believe he learnt from his environment and its who he is.
I have noticed that as irresponsible and loud as the yoruba's are, a yoruba's man's priority in life is to send his children to school by hook or crook, and to makesure whenever there's a celebration to be had, he borrows the right amount of money. Gradually I see the ibos and hausas picking on the education road. Theres nothign special about a man working hard in nigeria to send his children to university. It is everybody'S story.
As for the hard working part, I think the ibos work very hard and with more education and refinement, could contribute a great deal to the direction nigeria is taking.
@Onlytruth, I dont think other Nigerians are the one's to recognise any attributes the Ibo's have. I think the Ibo's owe it to themselves first and foremost to clear up their own house before anything can be done.
Re: Only An Igbo Man Can Do This. Seriously by ow11(m): 9:56am On Oct 04, 2009
The original poster in his infinite 'wisdom' has done a survey on all Nigerians and has found out that ONLY men from a certain tribe are diligent enough to work odd jobs to ensure their children have a better life.

What you have done is not only insult diligent hard-working Nigerian men who do not belong to the Igbo tribe but you have contrived to introduce yourself as one that sees tribal affiliation as a reason for people's actions. How sad!
Re: Only An Igbo Man Can Do This. Seriously by ikeyman00(m): 4:01pm On Oct 04, 2009
hmmm igbo kwenu

these igbo self lipsrsealed cool
Re: Only An Igbo Man Can Do This. Seriously by udezue(m): 4:24pm On Oct 04, 2009
Rosabelle,

Ms u must be thinking this is 1800 when British arrived in Yoruba land and introduced education. Please don't ever group Igbo and Hausa together again. I no blame u coz u don't know any better but em Igbos have long surpassed Yoruba in education. The whole East don surpass and are rated to be the most educated in Nigeria with highest or only middle class population. Please tell me how on earth are my highly educated ppl now in the same league with some moronic aboki people trailing Yoruba slowly in education? We Igbos n particular and non Igbo of the East are so far ahead u are the one trailing us. Aboki ppl are so far far behind they are the last. Don't forget there is middlebelt.
Re: Only An Igbo Man Can Do This. Seriously by AloyEmeka9: 4:37pm On Oct 04, 2009
I remember posting this topic elsewhere and people are having a normal discourse devoid of these igbo thugs. One of the thugs decided to turn it into a tribal warfare so they can bite and receive fresh blood from tribalism. OP is a disgrace to igbos and I suspect he is not igbo at all because this zealous love for igbo is getting out of hand.
Re: Only An Igbo Man Can Do This. Seriously by ifyalways(f): 5:17pm On Oct 04, 2009
Arent we ever tired?
@tOPIC,hardwork and determination pays.
Re: Only An Igbo Man Can Do This. Seriously by naijaking1: 5:32pm On Oct 04, 2009
ifyalways:

Arent we ever tired?

Ify, how you dey.
I agree Hardwork and determination pays. However, let's not think that those attributes are only exclusive to the Igbos by some type of genetic alteration. I know anybody/people/tribe that is pushed to the wall would naturally evolve different survival tactics. Igbos are no exception to this rule. Hausas and Yorubas would also naturally adapt to harsh economic/political environment just like the Igbos if push comes to sholve.
Re: Only An Igbo Man Can Do This. Seriously by pman1(m): 5:59pm On Oct 04, 2009
am proud of Baba Pako!
Re: Only An Igbo Man Can Do This. Seriously by Rosabelle(f): 6:34pm On Oct 04, 2009
udezue:

Rosabelle,
Ms u must be thinking this is 1800 when British arrived in Yoruba land and introduced education. Please don't ever group Igbo and Hausa together again. I no blame u coz u don't know any better but em Igbos have long surpassed Yoruba in education. The whole East don surpass and are rated to be the most educated in Nigeria with highest or only middle class population. Please tell me how on earth are my highly educated ppl now in the same league with some moronic aboki people trailing Yoruba slowly in education? We Igbos n particular and non Igbo of the East are so far ahead u are the one trailing us. Aboki ppl are so far far behind they are the last. Don't forget there is middlebelt.
I wont answer you

Aloy.Emeka:

I remember posting this topic elsewhere and people are having a normal discourse devoid of these igbo thugs. One of the thugs decided to turn it into a tribal warfare so they can bite and receive fresh blood from tribalism. OP is a disgrace to igbos and I suspect he is not igbo at all because this zealous love for igbo is getting out of hand.
LOOOLLL
Re: Only An Igbo Man Can Do This. Seriously by asha80(m): 6:59pm On Oct 04, 2009
The kind of topics that make it to front page these days Anyway na traffic.
Re: Only An Igbo Man Can Do This. Seriously by bawomolo(m): 7:06pm On Oct 04, 2009
Rosabelle:

I have noticed that as irresponsible and loud as the yoruba's are,

Nigerian bigots make the KKK look like humanitarians.
Re: Only An Igbo Man Can Do This. Seriously by kech(f): 7:15pm On Oct 04, 2009
Rosabelle:

I completely disagree. That discipline, I believe he learnt from his environment and its who he is.
I have noticed that as irresponsible and loud as the yoruba's are, a yoruba's man's priority in life is to send his children to school by hook or crook, and to makesure whenever there's a celebration to be had, he borrows the right amount of money. [b]Gradually I see the ibos and hausas picking on the education road. [/b]Theres nothign special about a man working hard in nigeria to send his children to university. It is everybody'S story.
As for the hard working part, I think the ibos work very hard and with more education and refinement, could contribute a great deal to the direction nigeria is taking.
@Onlytruth, I dont think other Nigerians are the one's to recognise any attributes the Ibo's have. I think the Ibo's owe it to themselves first and foremost to clear up their own house before anything can be done.

Ok I wasn't going to reply to this but, are you for real? Come on now, this statement is definitely delusional. You need to look up the stats of university entrants and graduates in Nigeria. I think the problem is the Igbos have as many successful graduates as there are successful "illiterates" like many will like to call them. In other words, the probability that you'll come accross a successful igbo man/woman who is either educated or "illiterate" is almost 50/50.
Note: I'm just speaking for the Igbo tribe, I don't know about others. Also, my comment has nothing to do with the Original post.
Re: Only An Igbo Man Can Do This. Seriously by koolchicco: 7:23pm On Oct 04, 2009
asha 80:

The kind of topics that make it to front page these days Anyway na traffic.

I wonder oo!

ifyalways:

Arent we ever tired?

I Concur absolutely!
Re: Only An Igbo Man Can Do This. Seriously by tunnytox(m): 7:30pm On Oct 04, 2009
so much noise from an empty barrel!!
Re: Only An Igbo Man Can Do This. Seriously by Rosabelle(f): 7:31pm On Oct 04, 2009
bawomolo:

Nigerian bigots make the KKK look like humanitarians.
KKK here or there, yorubas are loud and highly irresponsible.

kech:

Ok I wasn't going to reply to this but, are you for real? Come on now, this statement is definitely delusional. You need to look up the stats of university entrants and graduates in Nigeria. I think the problem is the Igbos have as many successful graduates as there are successful "illiterates" like many will like to call them. In other words, the probability that you'll come accross a successful igbo man/woman who is either educated or "illiterate" is almost 50/50.
Note: I'm just speaking for the Igbo tribe, I don't know about others. Also, my comment has nothing to do with the Original post.
Well Im speaking for both the yoruba and ibo tribes. Up until 10yrs ago, the statistics were different. And so when I say 'gradually I see the ibos and hausas thread this education path', I kind of know what Im saying.
The ibo man used to think buying and selling was all he could do and you rarely got to see them at the top. There were very few of them.
These days the trend is changing, but yorubas pioneered education in nigeria. That was my point.
And the poster was indeed talking of an ibo man in yoruba land.
Re: Only An Igbo Man Can Do This. Seriously by tunnytox(m): 7:36pm On Oct 04, 2009
Rosabelle:

KKK here or there, yorubas are loud and highly irresponsible.
Well Im speaking for both the yoruba and ibo tribes. Up until 10yrs ago, the statistics were different. And so when I say 'gradually I see the ibos and hausas thread this education path', I kind of know what Im saying.
The ibo man used to think buying and selling was all he could do and you rarely got to see them at the top. There were very few of them.
These days the trend is changing, but yorubas pioneered education in nigeria. That was my point.
And the poster was indeed talking of an ibo man in yoruba land.

you must be very sick in the head to say this
Re: Only An Igbo Man Can Do This. Seriously by Rosabelle(f): 7:41pm On Oct 04, 2009
tunnytox:

you must be very sick in the head to say this
And youre a bloody fool to say this!
Re: Only An Igbo Man Can Do This. Seriously by Seun(m): 7:50pm On Oct 04, 2009

(1)

Sahara Reporters' Sends Hitman To Kill Yar Adua. / Revision Of Nigeria 1985-1993 Part 1 / "corruption Claims In N N P C Imaginary" - Oniwon

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 48
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.