Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,677 members, 7,801,952 topics. Date: Friday, 19 April 2024 at 06:49 AM

Learn How To Cook Okpa(igbo Delicacy) - Food - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Food / Learn How To Cook Okpa(igbo Delicacy) (16159 Views)

Efo Riro: A Nairalander’s Delicacy For The Weekend! / Inside Vietnamese Cat Market Where Cats Are Butchered For ₦25,000 Delicacy(Pics) / Lady Eats Rat Soup Delicacy (Photos) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Learn How To Cook Okpa(igbo Delicacy) by may3(f): 9:30pm On Sep 02, 2016
Hi fam
The igbos no dey joke with okpa I knw...especially Enugu peeps
So today I will list the procedure to follow and make ur favorite igbo delicacy at home under 10-15 mins

List of things needed
Okpa powder
Palm oil
Crayfish
Salt
Pepper
Stock cube( maggi)
Warm water( hot enough for your hand to handle)
A bowl for mixing
*RULE...GO EASY ON WATER
Re: Learn How To Cook Okpa(igbo Delicacy) by may3(f): 11:15pm On Sep 02, 2016
Am having issues posting pictures
Re: Learn How To Cook Okpa(igbo Delicacy) by pinkvirus: 12:41pm On Sep 03, 2016
No crayfish is not. needed.ar u cooking moi moi

1 Like

Re: Learn How To Cook Okpa(igbo Delicacy) by soberdrunk(m): 1:09pm On Sep 03, 2016
Chai!!! My food!!! Abeg do and upload pictures ooo! Yoruba boy addicted to Okpa grin grin

2 Likes

Re: Learn How To Cook Okpa(igbo Delicacy) by may3(f): 10:50pm On Sep 03, 2016
pinkvirus:
No crayfish is not. needed.ar u cooking moi moi
my dear crayfish is used tho its optional....havnt u gotten a roadside okpa with lots of crayfish b4?
Re: Learn How To Cook Okpa(igbo Delicacy) by may3(f): 11:16pm On Sep 03, 2016
Step1: put the powdered okpa in a bowl and add a reasonable amount of oil then mux with ur hand until well incorporated ....it sold look like this

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Learn How To Cook Okpa(igbo Delicacy) by may3(f): 11:37pm On Sep 03, 2016
Step2: add a cup of warm water( remember it's warm water) to the mixture of okpa powder and oil n mix together with ur hand while making sure there are no lumps

Re: Learn How To Cook Okpa(igbo Delicacy) by may3(f): 10:44am On Sep 04, 2016
Step 3: gradually add warm water and mix with ur hand until u get a not too thick or watery mixture ( just like ur pap)while making sure there are no lumps.....it should look like this

Re: Learn How To Cook Okpa(igbo Delicacy) by may3(f): 10:50am On Sep 04, 2016
Ur hand should look like this

Re: Learn How To Cook Okpa(igbo Delicacy) by may3(f): 10:58am On Sep 04, 2016
Step4: add all ingredients listed to taste....then distribute the mixture in containers(thats if u are using one) or foil or nylon....i used nylon...if using nylon remember to leave little or no space and tie tighy...after that put them inside a pot and add enough water to cover the okpa...( if the warm water is remaining, use it) place on fire and allow for boil for about30-45mins depending on the quantity of okpa

Re: Learn How To Cook Okpa(igbo Delicacy) by may3(f): 11:02am On Sep 04, 2016
Voila.....the okpa is ready....feel free to ask questions were u don't understand...I will answer

2 Likes

Re: Learn How To Cook Okpa(igbo Delicacy) by joyce01(f): 6:08pm On Sep 05, 2016
Lovely.. Thanks a lot.
Re: Learn How To Cook Okpa(igbo Delicacy) by may3(f): 8:43pm On Sep 05, 2016
joyce01:
Lovely.. Thanks a lot.
u welcome dear...don't forget to post pix if u try it out
Re: Learn How To Cook Okpa(igbo Delicacy) by ngoben(f): 6:07am On Sep 06, 2016
Maggi is nt needed when making okpa
Re: Learn How To Cook Okpa(igbo Delicacy) by LikeJesus: 8:08pm On Sep 06, 2016
Very nice and instructive presentation.

As much as possible, avoid using nylon in packaging food. Especially food that will undergo some heating process. It is dangerous to health. Most plastics releases dangerous cancerous phthalates shocked when exposed to high temperatures. Use leaves instead. That was why our ancestors hardly knew what cancer was.

2 Likes

Re: Learn How To Cook Okpa(igbo Delicacy) by Baroba(m): 6:43am On Sep 07, 2016
LikeJesus:

As much as possible, avoid using nylon in packaging food. Especially food that will undergo some heating process. It is dangerous to health. Most plastics releases dangerous cancerous phthalates shocked when exposed to high temperatures. Use leaves instead. That was why our ancestors hardly knew what cancer was.

Good point, Plantain leaves should be the preferred option.. Nice looking Okpa Wawa all the same.. cool
Re: Learn How To Cook Okpa(igbo Delicacy) by may3(f): 8:14am On Sep 07, 2016
LikeJesus:

....noted..thanks
Re: Learn How To Cook Okpa(igbo Delicacy) by Nobody: 8:33am On Sep 08, 2016
This looks like moimoi thou. Thanks for teaching

1 Like

Re: Learn How To Cook Okpa(igbo Delicacy) by soonest(f): 3:02pm On Sep 08, 2016
Op, nice one but a quick question, can Uma leaves be used instead of plantain leaves? Uma leaves are those moi moi leaves.
Re: Learn How To Cook Okpa(igbo Delicacy) by may3(f): 9:59pm On Sep 08, 2016
soonest:
Op, nice one but a quick question, can Uma leaves be used instead of plantain leaves? Uma leaves are those moi moi leaves.
..yes,it can be used
Re: Learn How To Cook Okpa(igbo Delicacy) by Baroba(m): 6:21am On Sep 10, 2016
soonest:

Uma leaves is actually the wrapping leave of choice, I know a girl that gets them from the East and sells in Lagos, she can barely meet up with demand.. Though she is a phenomenal cook, hence the demand..
Re: Learn How To Cook Okpa(igbo Delicacy) by soonest(f): 10:28pm On Sep 10, 2016
may3:
..yes,it can be used
Baroba:

Uma leaves is actually the wrapping leave of choice, I know a girl that gets them from the East and sells in Lagos, she can barely meet up with demand.. Though she is a phenomenal cook, hence the demand..
Tnx and God bless.
Re: Learn How To Cook Okpa(igbo Delicacy) by ngoben(f): 4:09pm On Jun 27, 2017
is maggi used to make okpa
Re: Learn How To Cook Okpa(igbo Delicacy) by soonest(f): 10:12am On Sep 09, 2017
May3, baroba, are you guys still available? I ran out of leaves and used nylon bags.i tied tightly but the top part close to the knot came out soggy while the rest part of the okpa came out with okpa consistency. Where did i go wrong please.
Re: Learn How To Cook Okpa(igbo Delicacy) by Probz(m): 11:57am On Sep 09, 2017
I heard all it needs is uziza, salt and ose. No need for crayfish.

Good job otherwise.
Re: Learn How To Cook Okpa(igbo Delicacy) by Probz(m): 11:58am On Sep 09, 2017
ngoben:
is maggi used to make okpa

People do but it's not necessary or traditional. Salt and uziza's the way to go.
Re: Learn How To Cook Okpa(igbo Delicacy) by Ifylicious: 1:06pm On Sep 09, 2017
may3:
Hi fam
The igbos no dey joke with okpa I knw...especially Enugu peeps
So today I will list the procedure to follow and make ur favorite igbo delicacy at home under 10-15 mins

List of things needed
Okpa powder
Palm oil
Crayfish
Salt
Pepper
Stock cube( maggi)
Warm water( hot enough for your hand to handle)
A bowl for mixing
*RULE...GO EASY ON WATER

Tnk u so much but where can one get impact powder?
Re: Learn How To Cook Okpa(igbo Delicacy) by Ladyjumong(f): 3:27pm On Sep 09, 2017
Awwn, i dnt joke with that
Re: Learn How To Cook Okpa(igbo Delicacy) by arizona20: 10:12pm On Sep 09, 2017
I hope ure not cooking OKPA...i wonder what crayfish n maggi is doing on that ur list.

1 Like

Re: Learn How To Cook Okpa(igbo Delicacy) by Tamarapetty(f): 11:26pm On Sep 10, 2017
okpa
Re: Learn How To Cook Okpa(igbo Delicacy) by Nobody: 4:54pm On Sep 11, 2017
soonest:
May3, baroba, are you guys still available? I ran out of leaves and used nylon bags.i tied tightly but the top part close to the knot came out soggy while the rest part of the okpa came out with okpa consistency. Where did i go wrong please.
I faced same issue the first time I tried cooking it..what I did was to put the tied okpa into a big nylon, tied the mouth well, then put into the pot..you can double it because it may likely tear cos of heat..hope this helps
Re: Learn How To Cook Okpa(igbo Delicacy) by soonest(f): 9:54pm On Sep 11, 2017
uzobaby:
I faced same issue the first time I tried cooking it..what I did was to put the tied okpa into a big nylon, tied the mouth well, then put into the pot..you can double it because it may likely tear cos of heat..hope this helps

Oh nne thanks. Thats doubling the nylon right? I have resolved todo that next time and also tying the mouth with a twine.

(1) (2) (Reply)

Why Do Nigerian Women Hate Smoking So Much? / Pls Amakaone And Co I Need A Healthy Food Time Table For My Family / Recipe For Ukazi And Uha(ora) Soup

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 25
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.